2009 DPT Applicant needs advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomtsai33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just found out I got accepted into a school in CA called Azusa Pacific University. They start on Feb 1, 2009, which is before I will hear back from any other schools I applied to. Tuition is $78,000 for a 31 month program.

I need some advice on whether to go with this school or to pass it up and wait for other schools. I also applied to UCSF, Mt, Saint Marys, Western U, CSU Northridge, USC, and Chapman..all in CA. I called these schools up and all of them don't start interviewing or accepting until around February or March. My ideal school would be UCSF, but I know its difficult to get into.

My stats (which I know aren't that great):

Overall undergrad: 3.1
Pre-req GPA: 3.3-3.4 (depends on school)
GRE: 5.5 Writing, 1320 combined score...about equal scores in math and verbal
Volunteer Hours: about 200 total

I am a little bit of an older applicant (25) because I worked for 2 years before applying to PT school.

Any advice on Azusa Pacific (as a PT school) or the situation at hand would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That is an interesting situation you are in. It would be nice to hear back from other schools, especially from your school of choice. You'll be rolling the dice by turning down Azusa Pacific and waiting to hear back from other schools. Are you confident that you will have a chance on getting into the other schools? Some may say take what you can get (advice from my physical therapist/bossman) because of the competition with other candidates might outweigh yours. If you have a school preference (which you do), and the requirements are met for that school as well, it might be a risk worth taking if you feel like your chances are good. It can be a hit or miss situation if your academic profile is not concrete or on the high end compared to others. If I were in your situation, I "might" take the sure thing and roll with it. The sooner you are in, the earlier you will be out. Then again, regret might set in. Its a personal call. Okay... I'm no help. Sorry, I tried.

I applied to APU as well, but noticed their weird start date for PT school. Most of the schools start at the beginning of summer or fall. I just hope I don't end up with the same situation you are in. I also applied to most of the other schools that you mentioned because I live in CA. Do you live in CA as well?

I know that APU is a Christian school and they integrate their spiritual philosophy into their teaching like Loma Linda. If this is not a problem for you than that is good. If I were you I would wait for the other schools. APU is not the first on my list. They are a good school, but the program and clinical rotations are not as established as other schools (i.e. Chapman, USC, UCSF).

My stats are similar to yours with the exception of your higher GREs. I do however have over 500 hours of experience in multiple settings. I am just hoping that will be enough for some of the other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I just found out I got accepted into a school in CA called Azusa Pacific University. They start on Feb 1, 2009, which is before I will hear back from any other schools I applied to. Tuition is $78,000 for a 31 month program.

I need some advice on whether to go with this school or to pass it up and wait for other schools. I also applied to UCSF, Mt, Saint Marys, Western U, CSU Northridge, USC, and Chapman..all in CA. I called these schools up and all of them don't start interviewing or accepting until around February or March. My ideal school would be UCSF, but I know its difficult to get into.

My stats (which I know aren't that great):

Overall undergrad: 3.1
Pre-req GPA: 3.3-3.4 (depends on school)
GRE: 5.5 Writing, 1320 combined score...about equal scores in math and verbal
Volunteer Hours: about 200 total

I am a little bit of an older applicant (25) because I worked for 2 years before applying to PT school.

Any advice on Azusa Pacific (as a PT school) or the situation at hand would be appreciated!

Thanks!
~80K tuition+24K cost of living= ~125K in loans, are you sure as a non trad you ant to take that much loans for a 65K job that has a ceiling, meaning even with 20 years of experience, unless you get involved with management or open you own clinic you wont climb up too much higer.

~80K tuition+24K cost of living= ~125K in loans, are you sure as a non trad you ant to take that much loans for a 65K job that has a ceiling, meaning even with 20 years of experience, unless you get involved with management or open you own clinic you wont climb up too much higer.

80k + 24k = 104k Am I missing something or where is the extra 20k coming from? Doesn't matter, I agree with you that 100k+ in loans is a bit excessive. Luckily for me, there are 7 schools within driving distance from me, so I save some money by staying at home. I just wished more state schools have pt programs.

Just found out today that I got into USC, which is $122, 000 :eek: :eek: :eek: for 3 years.

I need to get into a cheaper school...still waiting on my #1 choice, UCSF

Congrats!! did they interview you?

Just found out today that I got into USC, which is $122, 000 :eek: :eek: :eek: for 3 years.

I need to get into a cheaper school...still waiting on my #1 choice, UCSF