2010-2011 Pathology applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoodNewsEvery1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. In keeping with past years, I think we need a 2010-2011 application cycle thread, a place where we can discuss our experiences with the whole ordeal. I submitted my application to 20ish places (mostly east coast) the other day so now I'm just waiting. Grrrr. haha

Good luck to everyone and maybe we'll run into each other along the way!:)

Members don't see this ad.

hi GoodNewsEvery1 :) i am an IMG going for this year's Path match..
already applied to a number of programs in scattered locations.. can't be that choosy.. and applied to way more than ur 20ish.. hehe :D when should we start to expect some news from them? im getting nervous!! :scared: i saw some thread from last year, by sept.9 or 10 they're starting to get invyts... was thinking that's too soon!!! and it made me more nervous!! :eek: i'm here for some great company during the process.. let's keep this thread free of negative things.. :p

Hey guys, also an IMG applying this cycle for Path. I also applied to a lot of programs and thinking of applying to even more! Really anxious and excited for this process. I definitely agree we should keep this as positive as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys
am also an IMG
applied to 52 programs mainly NY, NJ, MI & TX
I felt I applied for too little programs when I read ur posts :eek:
but I do believe in Destiney
good luck everyone:xf:

I am applying for pathology this year as well. I'm a DO student and applied to 21 programs in the east/south/central US. Not sure if I will pick more or stay at 21. Applied on 9/1 and haven't heard anything back one way or another from my programs so I'm getting kind of anxious! ;)

I am applying for pathology this year as well. I'm a DO student and applied to 21 programs in the east/south/central US. Not sure if I will pick more or stay at 21. Applied on 9/1 and haven't heard anything back one way or another from my programs so I'm getting kind of anxious! ;)

I sent the same number. I may add one more at this point but I'm still debating. I also sent the app out on the first and haven't heard anything yet.

i can see we are getting warmed up here! :) do you guys have any idea what's the safe number of progs to apply to? i read somewhere that AMGs can apply to as low as 12 to 15 progs.. :) but i dnt know for IMGs.. i wish i had the luxury to do that and save some money...;)

i can see we are getting warmed up here! :) do you guys have any idea what's the safe number of progs to apply to? i read somewhere that AMGs can apply to as low as 12 to 15 progs.. :) but i dnt know for IMGs.. i wish i had the luxury to do that and save some money...;)

everyone i've talked to about it from the perspective of an american graduate has said 15-20 is a safe bet, >25 is extreme and <10 is too risky. i'm not sure about IMG's though. i'm lucky in that there are quite a few programs in the area i want to stay.

everyone i've talked to about it from the perspective of an american graduate has said 15-20 is a safe bet, >25 is extreme and <10 is too risky. i'm not sure about IMG's though. i'm lucky in that there are quite a few programs in the area i want to stay.

Seems about right. I think 15-20 is a good number as 8 program ranks seems to be the magic number in order to guarantee a match, according to the Charting Outcomes document. I don't want to apply to too many because I wouldn't want to go to so many interviews that I get burnt out, assuming that I am lucky and get a lot of invites.

Hi all!!

I've applied to path as well; so scary! I'm an IMG; got over 40 out right now scatter shot and thinking of adding some more, but I'm excited. I don't expect to hear anything from anyone for some time though. Good luck everyone!

Hi all!!

I've applied to path as well; so scary! I'm an IMG; got over 40 out right now scatter shot and thinking of adding some more, but I'm excited. I don't expect to hear anything from anyone for some time though. Good luck everyone!

Yes don't except to hear much until early October. I didn't hear from some programs until end of October n

Yes

Hi, I went through the application last year. I put my experience below:

Firstly, I applied to too way many, but started getting invites scattered through September, peaking early to mid October, and continuing through December.

I did most of my interviews in December and finished in Jan. By number 3, you feel confident and less foot in mouthy. After 7-8, you are fatigued. I did more than this and could have really used the cash for relocation.

I ended up raking over 10 schools, but got my first choice. The magic number is 99% matching, but most AMGs get their first three choices.

In retrospect, I wish I had paid more attention to the following
1. Interviews haven't started free flowing yet. (Last year we ahd a running list of programs so that we knew when they started sending out invitations - some schools do it later than others) but it was still a nerve racking time.

2. More than 8 interviews is probably not needed, causes fatigue, and is costly

3. AMG with decent (avg) board scores and some path exposure will probably do okay with less than that.

4. The entire process is more expensive than you think - you have step 2 CK and CS, applications, travel, grooming expenses - dry cleaning, hair, ect, delayed flights causing additional nights in hotels, rebooking fees, rental car fees. Then you may have to move!! And that... is a nightmare in itself. And you wont get your first paycheck until 2 weeks to a month after you start working.

So prepare what you want to get across in your interviews, relax, and go to them refreshed! There will be plenty of things to stress you out later on.

Awesome advice.

Firstly, I applied to too way many, but started getting invites scattered through September, peaking early to mid October, and continuing through December.

I did most of my interviews in December and finished in Jan. By number 3, you feel confident and less foot in mouthy. After 7-8, you are fatigued. I did more than this and could have really used the cash for relocation.

I ended up raking over 10 schools, but got my first choice. The magic number is 99% matching, but most AMGs get their first three choices.

1. Interviews haven't started free flowing yet. (Last year we ahd a running list of programs so that we knew when they started sending out invitations - some schools do it later than others) but it was still a nerve racking time.

3. AMG with decent (avg) board scores and some path exposure will probably do okay with less than that.

4. The entire process is more expensive than you think - you have step 2 CK and CS, applications, travel, grooming expenses - dry cleaning, hair, ect, delayed flights causing additional nights in hotels, rebooking fees, rental car fees. Then you may have to move!! And that... is a nightmare in itself. And you wont get your first paycheck until 2 weeks to a month after you start working.

So prepare what you want to get across in your interviews, relax, and go to them refreshed! There will be plenty of things to stress you out later on.

Members don't see this ad :)
AMG. Applied to 10 programs so far. I'm poor :(.

Wondering if I should try to move up my Step II CS date to comply with UCSF's requirement:

UCSF GME policy states that "A passing score on USMLE Step II (CS and CK) is required for all trainees beginning a UCSF GME program June 2010 and later. To meet this requirement, programs must rank only candidates who have passed USMLE Step II (CS and CK)." This means that applicants must take USMLE Step II by November in order to have results available for ranking purposes in February.

http://labmed.ucsf.edu/education/residency/residency-app.html

Anyone know how strict they are on that? It would be terribly inconvenient at this point (if at all possible) to move my date up to earlier than November.

Great advise!! :) btw, are you an AMG? id appreciate some info for IMGs if you may have.. so do you think it's not yet the time to panic until probably mid-oct? thanks very much PathMD2010..:thumbup:

Great advise!! :) btw, are you an AMG? id appreciate some info for IMGs if you may have.. so do you think it's not yet the time to panic until probably mid-oct? thanks very much PathMD2010..:thumbup:

I'm an AMG, so all above advice is from that perspective. All IMG things I hear are second hand and are already semi-common knowledge: IMGs need to apply to more schools, and experience, PhD, time in the states, are all good things. I did talk to a few that were in the program where I did med school, and the timeline is about the same is it was for me.

Personally, if October 10 came and I hadn't gotten any interiview invites, I'd start thinking about adding more schools; its before any school has its deadline (last year among the schools I looked at) for applying.

I'm an AMG, so all above advice is from that perspective. All IMG things I hear are second hand and are already semi-common knowledge: IMGs need to apply to more schools, and experience, PhD, time in the states, are all good things. I did talk to a few that were in the program where I did med school, and the timeline is about the same is it was for me.

Personally, if October 10 came and I hadn't gotten any interiview invites, I'd start thinking about adding more schools; its before any school has its deadline (last year among the schools I looked at) for applying.

thanks :) specially about that Oct. 10 reconsideration of sending additional apps.. makes a lot of sense! would keep that in mind!! :)

Thanks for the info/advice, PathMD. The whole interview process is totally not my idea of fun so I was ready for this all to be over the minute I submitted ERAS.

Good luck everyone! Let's keep each other posted on how things go these next few months

AMG. Applied to 10 programs so far. I'm poor :(.

Wondering if I should try to move up my Step II CS date to comply with UCSF's requirement:

Anyone know how strict they are on that? It would be terribly inconvenient at this point (if at all possible) to move my date up to earlier than November.

I wouldn't worry about it. I didn't take CS until February and everything was fine; no one even mentioned it at any of the interviews. :)

I am a US citizen IMG and I just applied to 35 programs mostly in the NE and some scattered around the country. I hope the few days of delay and the holiday weekend wont hurt me that much. Good luck to everyone!

Sooo....has anyone heard anything from anywhere yet? Nothing so far here........

I haven't heard anything yet (neither an interview offer or an acknowledgment of the application) from the programs. I am not expecting much right now though.

Last edited:
Haven't heard anything myself. Currently tooling around 50-50 applications.

According to last year's interview thread, the first "OMG I got my first interview invite!!!" post was on 9/17, with more following quickly. I would guess interviews will start rolling out at roughly the same time this year. It's still early now.

According to last year's interview thread, the first "OMG I got my first interview invite!!!" post was on 9/17, with more following quickly. I would guess interviews will start rolling out at roughly the same time this year. It's still early now.

so we need to wait for at least another 10 days :confused:

people on other forums and my friend applying to IM has received invites yesterday and today.

people on other forums and my friend applying to IM has received invites yesterday and today.

Yup. Several of my friends have gotten invites already (peds, psych) and I've heard of people getting invites for rads as well. Nothing to do but wait...

emory.
i guess the madness is beginning! :D

Congratulations, pathstu! In celebration, let's start our running list of programs to which people have been invited for interviews. So far this is what we have:

Emory

Hopefully we can all start adding to this list. Today was not my day, unfortunately.

first interview
Henry Ford/ Michigan
sooooo happy :soexcited:

Congratulations, pathstu! In celebration, let's start our running list of programs to which people have been invited for interviews. So far this is what we have:

Emory
Henry Ford/ Michigan

Hopefully we can all start adding to this list. Today was not my day, unfortunately.

Congratulations pathstu and IMG with GC :)
i hope we all start receiving good news soon!! this waiting time is killing me..
but it's too early right? no discouragement! ;)
have you guys received any receipt of application acknowledgement?
i did from MUSC and Tufts.. was actually trying to decode if there was some hidden rejection message but i guess it's purely an acknowledgment note.. hehe..:)

Maybe people can add to this list...

Georgia
Emory -- pathstu

Ohio
Ohio State Univ -- pathstu

Michigan
Henry Ford -- IMG with GC

Congratulations pathstu and IMG with GC :)
i hope we all start receiving good news soon!! this waiting time is killing me..
but it's too early right? no discouragement! ;)
have you guys received any receipt of application acknowledgement?
i did from MUSC and Tufts.. was actually trying to decode if there was some hidden rejection message but i guess it's purely an acknowledgment note.. hehe..:)
thanx

it is definitely still very very early from what i'm hearing, i'm sure things will pick up really soon for everyone!

Hi Guys,
I am an IMG. Have already applied to 40+ programs.
My credentials:
step 1-99(240)/step 2-99(252)/cs passed(first attempt)/2+years experience in medical microbiology post med school in home country(India)/graduation year 2007/one publication in an international journal/need visa sponsorship/no USCE

have not received any interview calls as yet.(except for an acknowledgment form Baystate)..

Do you think I have a competitive profile? need your opinion guys..

Are you at UCSF?

I am not at USCF. If you are strongly considering that program, I would contact the program director, some current residents, and/or their GME department to find out whether the Step 2 requirement that is concerning you is actively enforced and what your options are if your test date cannot be rescheduled any earlier.

I got an acknowledgment from MUSC as well. No interviews yet. None of my letters are in though; it's killing me!

I got an offer today!!!

Georgia
Emory -- pathstu

Ohio
Ohio State Univ -- pathstu
MetroHealth/Case -- jenesaispas0005

Michigan
Henry Ford -- IMG with GC

<!-- / message --><!-- SDNCODE: one sig per thread -->

Last edited:
Univ. New Mexico!!!!!! <---my top choice :D:D:D

Congrats to jenesaispas0005!! just saw the last post!!

Hey guys!
I had posted my credentials a while ago. It looks like a lot of you are getting interview calls. I haven't got a single one as yet. I guess it must be the visa issue and the lack of US experience.. is it too early to worry?..Should I contact programs and ask them about the status of my applications.

will appreciate your views..
thanks guys