2010-2011 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Received the acceptance email earlier today! I am too shocked to know what to say right now... :eek: First MD acceptance..

To everyone who is still waiting, I wish you all the best of luck:luck:!

Congrats! I still haven't heard anything one way or another. Probably a bad sign but I'm trying to stay positive. Anyone else with the "decision made" status hear anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! I still haven't heard anything one way or another. Probably a bad sign but I'm trying to stay positive. Anyone else with the "decision made" status hear anything?

I also have the ominous "decision made" status.
I don't like this.

Mrrrr. I interviewed on 2/28 and still have the "Congratulations on being accepted for an Interview!" status. That IS where the "decision made" status is shown, right? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
Mrrrr. I interviewed on 2/28 and still have the "Congratulations on being accepted for an Interview!" status. That IS where the "decision made" status is shown, right? WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN? :scared:

Actually, no, it isn't. You have to click on your application and then theres a little box that's titled "application status". To it's right, it'll say "decision made." it's not very obvious like the interview congratulations.

Btw, why do they have to email the decision. Why not just put it on the website in addition to the email. Seems odd...

Actually, no, it isn't. You have to click on your application and then theres a little box that's titled "application status". To it's right, it'll say "decision made." it's not very obvious like the interview congratulations....

Yeah, i'm not seeing that. I even tried using the "find" tool on mozilla

Hmm, I went and read some of the comments about that course and it's clear that the medical literature course, which is required for an upstate diploma, is indeed detracting from the students' ability to perform well in their away rotations, and therefore has a direct impact on how well they match. I hope this gets sorted out.
Not true at all. Don't pay any attention to moboxer, either. This is a disgruntled student who opened up an account demonstrating displaced anger toward the school. It's a fine school, and the teaching is great. Don't believe everything written on the internet. Good luck to this year's class!

Not true at all. Don't pay any attention to moboxer, either. This is a disgruntled student who opened up an account demonstrating displaced anger toward the school. It's a fine school, and the teaching is great. Don't believe everything written on the internet. Good luck to this year's class!

Thanks for posting, I appreciate your input.

^ This.

I'm definitely no proponent of this class, but don't blow things out of proportion based on what you read. I think as a group, med students are prone to complaining. School is tough and anything that makes your life a little bit more difficult just feels like a huge deal and can turn you into the incredible hulk. However, try not to confuse something that's inconvenient (however vastly) with something detrimental, even if the terms get tossed around interchangeably.

Has anyone else been waiting 6 weeks or more to hear back from SUNY?

^ This.

I'm definitely no proponent of this class, but don't blow things out of proportion based on what you read. I think as a group, med students are prone to complaining. School is tough and anything that makes your life a little bit more difficult just feels like a huge deal and can turn you into the incredible hulk. However, try not to confuse something that's inconvenient (however vastly) with something detrimental, even if the terms get tossed around interchangeably.

I can see where they're coming from though, since other med schools don't have a course like this. I would think this would be more of an elective if anything, personally. If I had to take the class I would personally shut my mouth and take it as I have throughout my premedical career.

I can see where they're coming from though, since other med schools don't have a course like this. I would think this would be more of an elective if anything, personally. If I had to take the class I would personally shut my mouth and take it as I have throughout my premedical career.

Completely! And I don't mean to downplay our complaining, as I do it all the time too! I think MLC is a huge PITA also, but, like you said, you just sort of deal with it and it isn't the end of the world. I think it's the same with any school, you have to try and tease out the relative significance of any of the negative (or positive, for that matter) things that people have to say about their school. I am, on most days, pissed that the unsynchronized lights + 8 minute walk from the garage to the lecture hall always results in me being late, but, it probably isn't really impacting my life that much :laugh:. Again, not trying to trivialize real issues people (including me) have with the class, just advocating a bit of perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Completely! And I don't mean to downplay our complaining, as I do it all the time too! I think MLC is a huge PITA also, but, like you said, you just sort of deal with it and it isn't the end of the world. I think it's the same with any school, you have to try and tease out the relative significance of any of the negative (or positive, for that matter) things that people have to say about their school. I am, on most days, pissed that the unsynchronized lights + 8 minute walk from the garage to the lecture hall always results in me being late, but, it probably isn't really impacting my life that much :laugh:. Again, not trying to trivialize real issues people (including me) have with the class, just advocating a bit of perspective.

If you're female, I offer you a marriage proposal! That was well articulated, and it's not just because I was mesmerized by your hypnotoad.

This is a great perspective, and one that will serve you well as a resident. Residency takes 'suck-it-up-and-deal-with-it' to a whole new level. Most of the whiners in medical school get beat down as interns because you absolutely have to be there and you have to do the work. The MLC course (unless you do something super-specialized) will be the backbone of your intern year. It might just help you save a life. Good luck to you!

Does anyone know if there is a specific time when we are bound to go to Upstate and can't accept from somewhere else where we may get off of the wait list?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a specific time when we are bound to go to Upstate and can't accept from somewhere else where we may get off of the wait list?

After May 15th, you can only hold a spot at one medical school. If you get in somewhere else after May 15th, I believe you are given 24-48 hours to decide if you want to accept that offer. If you accept, then you give up your Upstate seat. This policy is consistent until you start orientation at Upstate. Once you begin orientation, you cannot enroll in any school that offers you a spot off the waitlist; you are bound to Upstate for good.

BTW, I got put on the HPA list last week. Interviewed early March. I'm reallllly hoping I'm at the top of that list!

Rejected post-interview 2/21
thought my interviews went well (one of my stronger performances.. and first post-interview rejection). oh well.

Good luck everyone else and congrats to those who were accepted/hpa!!

Rejected post-interview 2/21
thought my interviews went well (one of my stronger performances.. and first post-interview rejection). oh well.

Good luck everyone else and congrats to those who were accepted/hpa!!

Hey, sorry to hear that. Did the other interviews result in acceptances, or are you still waiting?

High Priority Alternate List this morning!

Can anyone tell me how fast does it move?

High Priority Alternate List this morning!

Can anyone tell me how fast does it move?

Same here, 7 weeks later... and I have no idea how fast it moves. Is it ranked?

It is ranked. The director of admissions said that usually the top half of the HPA list gets in. So consider it a 50-50 shot. I wouldn't expect to see any movement at this point. Plan to wait till May 15th (or really May 16th since the 15th is a Sunday). That week and the week after will probably see the most movement on all these waitlists.

Has anyone received any financial aid award packets yet or are they all still waiting, like me?

Got my FinAid about a month ago. It comes online.

interviewed last year, i forget, did they say anything about curriculum change next year or is it still 8 ~ 5 lectures a day?

interviewed last year, i forget, did they say anything about curriculum change next year or is it still 8 ~ 5 lectures a day?

I don't think (?) they're changing the curriculum, but if anyone else knows for sure please correct me. Class isn't exactly 8-5 a day, though I guess that isn't a bad summation. You can browse the calendar for a glance at what weeks looked like for us. Days run late especially early on because of Lab, but it doesn't stay that bad.

https://bannerweb.upstate.edu/isis/medsched.main?date_in=20-sep-2010&classyr=MSI&view_type=CAL

Just withdrew from this school.. my first acceptance so it was a little bittersweet, but it wasnt the best fit for me. I knew I was not going to end up here so I figured I would withdraw now so someone who is agonizing over the waitlist might get some love sooner rather than later. Good luck!

withdrew my seat today- hope someone on the waitlist gets that email soon! Good luck to you all!:luck:

anyone know when you can start calling to get estimate of if you might get off waitlist

anyone know when you can start calling to get estimate of if you might get off waitlist

I was planning on calling up on Monday, the 2nd to see where I am at. The email that I received said to call "sometime in May". I suppose earlier is better than later.

I was planning on calling up on Monday, the 2nd to see where I am at. The email that I received said to call "sometime in May". I suppose earlier is better than later.

If they give you any general news about waitlist movement, please keep us updated.

Withdrew today. Upstate was a good school but not for me. I hope someone on the waitlist can be made happy :)

If they give you any general news about waitlist movement, please keep us updated.

Just got off the phone with admissions, I asked if they had any waitlist movement. The lady replied "it hasn't moved yet".

Just got off the phone with admissions, I asked if they had any waitlist movement. The lady replied "it hasn't moved yet".

did they give you any idea about your place on the list or your chances?

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any HPA movement now since no one has posted anything in over 2 weeks. I just called today and they told me that I am in "a gray area." Anyone know what that means?

Also, does anyone know when movement speeds up? I looked over last year's forum and there are a few scattered acceptances, but it did not seem that there was a lot of movement, at least on SDN. Any feedback?

Thanks!

Withdrew the other day. Good luck to you all!

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any HPA movement now since no one has posted anything in over 2 weeks. I just called today and they told me that I am in "a gray area." Anyone know what that means?

Also, does anyone know when movement speeds up? I looked over last year's forum and there are a few scattered acceptances, but it did not seem that there was a lot of movement, at least on SDN. Any feedback?

Thanks!

I am wondering about the same thing .... Just hoping it will start to move soon...

Thanks!

Thanks for giving me the idea to call. I called today and the woman said I was "in a spot they've reached in the past" on the WL. Of course she said that there are no guarantees, &c &c

I was pretty psyched when I heard that, so I didn't think to ask about anything else.

odd that no one has been accepted from the hpa yet...

has anybody come off the waitlist yet?
i called today and the woman said she "didn't know" if the waitlist has moved yet

gl to everybody!

I dunno, it seems like the waitlist hasn't move yet, but I guess we'll see what happens as summer progresses :luck: all!

Just withdrew my acceptance. I hope one of you gets in who really wants it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.