2011-2012 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with xATB. We're only on these forums because we're neurotic; what does it hurt to ask if someone else is one jump ahead?

Members don't see this ad.

Does the 2500 character limit include spaces? My essay about "why NYU" and "why me" is taking me over the limit if spaces are included.

Also, for my pre-reqs I took labs and lectures separately, so I have to input 4 classes for each science category. The FAQ say I can put 2 on each line (separated by a / ). However, what do I do about the credit count? For my labs I tried to put "2 / 2" meaning that each lab was worth 2 credits, but I can't put a "/" in the # of credit box. Should I just put "2" and assume they know 2 credits each or "4" for the total credits?

Thanks.

Does the 2500 character limit include spaces? My essay about "why NYU" and "why me" is taking me over the limit if spaces are included.

Also, for my pre-reqs I took labs and lectures separately, so I have to input 4 classes for each science category. The FAQ say I can put 2 on each line (separated by a / ). However, what do I do about the credit count? For my labs I tried to put "2 / 2" meaning that each lab was worth 2 credits, but I can't put a "/" in the # of credit box. Should I just put "2" and assume they know 2 credits each or "4" for the total credits?

Thanks.

Character count includes spaces.

I would put the total credits.

Members don't see this ad :)
Character count includes spaces.

I would put the total credits.

i put total credits and then in the subject line put (in parentheses) how many credits each individual class offered. Dunno if that's how they wanted it, but it was the best way I could think of.

My UG institution goes by the quarter system, which gives 1 credit for each class including the lab component. For filling out the requirements, do I put down 1 credit for each course in the sequence, or do I convert it to 2.7 credits? Thanks!

How long did it take you guys to be complete? Was there an e-mail? Many thanks :)

what did you guys put for # of credits? semester hours? and what about the received grade? AMCAS letter grade, GPA or percentage?

How long did it take you guys to be complete? Was there an e-mail? Many thanks :)

I submitted on a Thursday night and received a complete email the next day in the morning. This was within a week of receiving the secondary, so it was early in the cycle.

My UG institution goes by the quarter system, which gives 1 credit for each class including the lab component. For filling out the requirements, do I put down 1 credit for each course in the sequence, or do I convert it to 2.7 credits? Thanks!

what did you guys put for # of credits? semester hours? and what about the received grade? AMCAS letter grade, GPA or percentage?

I'm confused about the credit situation as well. My school does 1 credit = 1 course (even if it includes lab), so should I convert to the semester hour thing/AMCAS semester credits?

Anybody else's status read "status unavailable"? I was complete earlier in the cycle and just randomly checked my status and this was what it was. anybody else have this?

Anybody else's status read "status unavailable"? I was complete earlier in the cycle and just randomly checked my status and this was what it was. anybody else have this?

Still Complete - Under Review here

That's the same thing that my status says. I'm not even going to try and guess what this means. Maybe it will change back. As stated on NYU's website, interview invites don't go out until Sept. 15 so I wouldn't worry about it until then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused about the credit situation as well. My school does 1 credit = 1 course (even if it includes lab), so should I convert to the semester hour thing/AMCAS semester credits?

I called NYU just now and they told me to put the semester hours as converted by AMCAS and shown on the verified primary application.

Good luck, everyone! :)

Yeah, I have that now too. Maybe we're being reviewed now?

mine also still shows Application Complete - Under Review

Hmm, if you don't mind saying, when were you complete? If it means we're actually "under review" when it says "Status Unavailable," it could be chronological. I know I was complete pretty shortly after they released the secondary.

I submitted my secondary on 7/21 and my status still says under review.

Submitted 7/21, complete 7/25, still under review.

submitted that secondary- about time.

since interviews don't go out till sept 15, does it matter whether your secondary is submitted july or august?

They still review in the order received, so I wouldn't mess around too much

How are you guys answering "Why NYU? How can you contribute specifically to NYU?" question? I am finding plenty of things to say why NYU but I'm not sure how to approach the second question. How can someone contribute specifically to a medical school?? (as opposed to medical schools in general...)

Just stopping by to assure NYU that my love is still strong :love:.

How are you guys answering "Why NYU? How can you contribute specifically to NYU?" question? I am finding plenty of things to say why NYU but I'm not sure how to approach the second question. How can someone contribute specifically to a medical school?? (as opposed to medical schools in general...)

similar question. are you all focusing more on the "why nyu" part or the "how can i contribute to nyu" part?

well, logged on this morning to see if my status had changed to complete yet (submitted 08/05 and haven't logged on since), and i see my status had changed to REJECTED :(

MSTP applicant.

well, logged on this morning to see if my status had changed to complete yet (submitted 08/05 and haven't logged on since), and i see my status had changed to REJECTED :(

MSTP applicant.

Sorry to hear that! Best of luck to you!

I'm MD, and mine is still Complete - Under Review.

bump this question, I too would like to know.

I don't think it needs to be in college. I wrote about my journey to becoming an Eagle Scout but i wrote about how i continued to influence others after high school too.

similar question. are you all focusing more on the "why nyu" part or the "how can i contribute to nyu" part?

My focus was 60 "Why NYU?"/40 "Why me/ what can I contribute?"

Hey,

Just curious about how long after you all were verified and submitted on AMCAS did you recieve the secondary from NYU? Days, weeks, etc?

Thanks!

Hey,

Just curious about how long after you all were verified and submitted on AMCAS did you recieve the secondary from NYU? Days, weeks, etc?

Thanks!

I received mine the day after I received the verification email.

whoops already answered above!

Last edited:
Does "application in process -- you should hear from our office in 4-6 weeks" mean that your application is complete and is being reviewed? Or does it mean that they are still waiting on materials to complete your application?

i think it says "complete - under review" once your file is considered complete... i submitted NYU last thursday and mine still says "application in process -- ..."

i submitted 8/16 and my app still says "application in process"......

i submitted 8/16 and my app still says "application in process"......

Same here. Submitted on 8/16, and mine says "Application in Process- You should hear from our office within 4-6 weeks.."

Are we supposed to include lab classes in the course information section of the secondary? Thanks!

Verified 8/16, but still haven't gotten the secondary... should I be concerned? I'm not aware that they screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.