2011-2012 Vanderbilt University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to send in updates for the past month. But I haven't been able to reach Dr. Sagen. I wonder if she is just as a rule not taking anymore updates and recommendations.

Has anyone had any success recently in reaching Dr. Sagen?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been trying to send in updates for the past month. But I haven't been able to reach Dr. Sagen. I wonder if she is just as a rule not taking anymore updates and recommendations.

Has anyone had any success recently in reaching Dr. Sagen?

I remember calling the admission's office with a question a couple months ago and being forwarded to Dr. Sagen.

I also sent in updates to the lindsey...@something address and getting a response saying they received it.

Could anyone comment on the at&t cell phone reception in the medical center? I heard it's very very bad. I'm wondering if I need to change a provider.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone comment on the at&t cell phone reception in the medical center? I heard it's very very bad. I'm wondering if I need to change a provider.

Yeah, from what I hear from my classmates it can be spotty service. I have Verizon and have never had a problem, and I think Sprint is also well supported since there are towers on campus

i gather verizon is the best and sprint works well too. at&t is very spotty. some halls/open areas are ok, but any labs/ORs/lower floors good luck.

Is a car very useful if I will be living right near the medical center? Thanks!

Is a car very useful if I will be living right near the medical center? Thanks!

A car will definitely come in handy - if you have the option of bringing one, do it. The nearest real grocery store is the (expensive) Harris Teeter about a mile from the med center campus, and the public bus system frankly sucks, though free for Vandy students. It's nice to be able to drive yourself to shadowing/precepting opportunities out at 100 Oaks (though med center shuttles go out there) and to Shade Tree (though carpooling is highly encouraged anyway).

Thanks for the advice. Do many students shadow/precept at 100 Oaks? Is that part of the continuity clinic?

Thanks for the advice. Do many students shadow/precept at 100 Oaks? Is that part of the continuity clinic?

We had preceptorships last year, but I assume those are going to be replaced by continuity clinics with this new curriculum. (Don't quote me on that though.) As for how many people go out there to shadow, it really depends if their specialty of interest is located there or not. There's some different outpatient clinics at 100 Oaks, like derm, women's health, adolescent medicine, etc. I just happened to have one of my preceptorships out there, and was going an afternoon a week for a couple months. It's not that far away, like 10 minutes down I-65.

With that said, I think a minority of my class has actually been out to 100 Oaks - my feeling was that most people stayed on campus. When we were picking our options for preceptorships there was an option to be assigned to something on campus for people who didn't have transportation or who just preferred to stay close.

Great! Thank you for your advice. I am from the South and am all too familiar with terrible public transportation. I have been living in the north now, and I have been without a car for the past 5 years. I've come to enjoy not dealing with traffic and whatnot. Do people use Zipcar or other car sharing services around there.

there's definitely zipcar. i know a post doc who uses it and she's never had a prob reserving when she wants one.

I guess this is it for us waitlist people. Anyone still waiting on Vandy?

Members don't see this ad :)
700 person waitlist + good second look turnout = Unlikely. Still holding onto WL though.

Waitlist is moving! Got a call last week, but will probably turn it down unless the financial aid is really, really good. Keep your hope alive guys!

Waitlist is moving! Got a call last week, but will probably turn it down unless the financial aid is really, really good. Keep your hope alive guys!

Congrats! Did they give you a deadline to reply?

So last year wait-list closure letters started being sent out around this time. Anyone get one yet?

is it safe to assume that if we didn't get a call or email, we're pretty much donzo?

So last year wait-list closure letters started being sent out around this time. Anyone get one yet?

Anybody else here still got nothing? Been checking the mail, waiting for the smackdown...

I feel ya on that. Been 10 months since my interview and I stopped caring a while back. I didn't even know they sent waitlist closure letters til a couple of days ago.

I got the letter a few days ago that I'm so far down the waitlist it's not going to happen.
Which is cool, since I've already started MPH classes for an MD/MPH somewhere else.

Me too. They're probably just trying to string me along as long as possible. 10 1/2 months isn't enough I guess :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure they've started already so I should be getting mine soon enough haha.

What the heck Vanderbilt?!? Why won't you reject me already? haha

Status
Not open for further replies.