Sublimation

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hi All,

For those of you who have been keeping up with the DAT scores reported recently in the last few months, i feel like this cylce is gonna be pretty competitive, ive seen alot of high scores. Just wondering how you guys are feeling about this upcoming cycle? I feel like the percentages are starting to go down for certain sections for a particular score.

dl9006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
perhaps the economy may push more students to seek stable professions ie health.

that being said, ppl say every subsequent year is more competitive but #s hover close to the previous years with some minor changes

sfrice80

Blood, Sweat, and Beers
Jun 11, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Status
Dental Student
Of course this next cycle will be more competitive, no question. Remember though, dont use SDN as a gauge for anything, you're talking a ridiculously small percentage of the applying population and typically much higher then average in regards to "numbers."

Mar 2, 2010
Status
Dental Student
As long as dentistry stays a lifestyle field of heathcare it will stay competitive, even more so after this healthcare reform. No pre-med wants to commit financial suicide.

TerpDentist

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
perhaps the economy may push more students to seek stable professions ie health.

that being said, ppl say every subsequent year is more competitive but #s hover close to the previous years with some minor changes
I agree that every year becomes more and more competitive but it isnt' just based on the fact that the numbers increase. Each year also sees an increase in the number of applicants.

If you want to see a definitive increase in both the average GPA and DAT scores of accepted applicants, as well as a sharp increase in total applicants you can look at roughly 4-6 blocks of time and you will notice the upward trend. In my opinion, I don't think that trend is likely to change anytime soon.

Jul 13, 2009
Shebulba
Status
Pre-Dental
imo this upcoming cycle is the peak of competitiveness
I hold this belief as well. I think if the economy comes around soon and doctors are not given a fixed salary of 100k or something then it will begin to come back to the stats of prior recession 2004-2006. I am not saying after this coming cycle it will not be competitive but I think we will lose the strictly money guys(which imo these guys need to go anyways) ie guys that would have gone for investment banking or other money driven professions and if healthcare turns out alright we will lose the otherwise med school applicants. I mean goldman sacs was sacking employees in waves all the way back during the dot com bubble.

xplayer2885

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
This country will never accept socialized medicine. There for doctors will never have a set salary. An honestly when dental school cost 200K+ no one in there rite mind is going to go to school to make some low fixed salary. Its not a matter of greed, its the fact that your spending 8-10 years in school, you want to come out making some really nice money...If you wanted to make quick money you could just go on wall street.