2011 DAT Destroyer #46 OCHEM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandalove89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so the reaction is a double dehydrogenation of 2,3-dibromobutane by using reagents 3NaNH2, NH3 with H2O giving us products 2 butyne.

I thought it would be E1 since the H2O is polar protic but the answer is E1.

Why?

Also is the OCHEM section for destroyer overkill? I'm getting my ass kicked.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer should be E2. Just memorize the fact that formation of an alkyne is E2 regardless of the solvent.

Another thing I want to add, majority of elimination reaction is E2. If you are in doubt whether it is E1 or E2, choose E2.

It should be E2. In Vollhardt's Organic Chemistry text book, there's a table telling you what reaction will take place. NH2- is a strong base, and the halide is a secondary halide, according to the table, E2 should take place.

Also Destroyer IS overkill for Ochem. I just took the test yesterday, and the Ochem was quite easy.

It should be E2. In Vollhardt's Organic Chemistry text book, there's a table telling you what reaction will take place. NH2- is a strong base, and the halide is a secondary halide, according to the table, E2 should take place.

Also Destroyer IS overkill for Ochem. I just took the test yesterday, and the Ochem was quite easy.

I remember that table. It was fantastic and almost foolproof.