1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

2011 DAT Destroyer #46 OCHEM

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by pandalove89, Aug 7, 2011.

1. pandalove89

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    so the reaction is a double dehydrogenation of 2,3-dibromobutane by using reagents 3NaNH2, NH3 with H2O giving us products 2 butyne.

I thought it would be E1 since the H2O is polar protic but the answer is E1.

Why?

Also is the OCHEM section for destroyer overkill? I'm getting my ass kicked.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PooyaH

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The answer should be E2. Just memorize the fact that formation of an alkyne is E2 regardless of the solvent.

4. Hope30

Pre-Dental
    Another thing I want to add, majority of elimination reaction is E2. If you are in doubt whether it is E1 or E2, choose E2.

5. frances362002

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    It should be E2. In Vollhardt's Organic Chemistry text book, there's a table telling you what reaction will take place. NH2- is a strong base, and the halide is a secondary halide, according to the table, E2 should take place.

Also Destroyer IS overkill for Ochem. I just took the test yesterday, and the Ochem was quite easy.

6. rmm30

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I remember that table. It was fantastic and almost foolproof.