2011 Match results!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How common is it for a DO to fail to match or scramble for a psych spot?

Members don't see this ad.

In my case 100%. ;) But I have unfortunately, unintentionally, and unavoidably acquired some red flags along the way because I took a LOA for family health concerns and had some trouble with boards because of it. I think in general it's a reasonably secure thing. Even I got plenty of interviews from understanding programs. But what they didn't understand was they were supposed to rank me to match, haha! I'm feeling pretty certain that I will never match into anything ever. Not too many people get asked, "Do you want fries with that?" from a doctor!

In my case...Ranked 12 programs, matched at number 1...Completely applicant-specific.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my case 100%. ;) But I have unfortunately, unintentionally, and unavoidably acquired some red flags along the way because I took a LOA for family health concerns and had some trouble with boards because of it. I think in general it's a reasonably secure thing. Even I got plenty of interviews from understanding programs. But what they didn't understand was they were supposed to rank me to match, haha! I'm feeling pretty certain that I will never match into anything ever. Not too many people get asked, "Do you want fries with that?" from a doctor!

The DO match had quite a few open spots. Have you considered any of those or are they all full now?

Finally, it's tomorrow, today.

I'm sending positive vibes your way. Seriously. No one should should graduate medical school and be left out in the dark. It's a crime.

What about a transitional year? It'll still apply to psych and I think you could start as a PGY-2 next year. Right?

What about a transitional year? It'll still apply to psych and I think you could start as a PGY-2 next year. Right?

Tried. All MD filled. Waiting to hear back from a DO TRI spot which would be fan-damn-tastic. I could reapply psych next year then for PGY-1. Happily.

I'm starting to consider specialties I have no interest in now too. Which sucks, but I think the alternative would suck worse. I could try to reapply next year after working a mundane job, and I will do this if all else fails. But I don't see how that would boost my chances next cycle. I think it would hurt them.

Tried. All MD filled. Waiting to hear back from a DO TRI spot which would be fan-damn-tastic. I could reapply psych next year then for PGY-1. Happily.

I'm starting to consider specialties I have no interest in now too. Which sucks, but I think the alternative would suck worse. I could try to reapply next year after working a mundane job, and I will do this if all else fails. But I don't see how that would boost my chances next cycle. I think it would hurt them.

I know there are a couple (well, at least one) fellowship for FPs to spend a year doing psychiatry. Forget where it is, but I'll try to find it later. Probably not what you would want to do and not really sure what kind of scope of practice you can really have, but I suppose if you're looking into specialties you're not even interested in it may not be as bad in comparison.

I also know some other programs, on paper at least, will take people trained in IM into a psychosomatic fellowship.

In any case you can delay this a year by going into TRI and next year applying psych in addition to PGY2-some-other-specialty-you-don't-like rather than doing it this year.

I know there are a couple (well, at least one) fellowship for FPs to spend a year doing psychiatry. Forget where it is, but I'll try to find it later. Probably not what you would want to do and not really sure what kind of scope of practice you can really have, but I suppose if you're looking into specialties you're not even interested in it may not be as bad in comparison.

I also know some other programs, on paper at least, will take people trained in IM into a psychosomatic fellowship.

In any case you can delay this a year by going into TRI and next year applying psych in addition to PGY2-some-other-specialty-you-don't-like rather than doing it this year.

I am praying to every deity known to man and even to extraterrestrials that I am fortunate to land a TRI and reapply!

I am praying to every deity known to man and even to extraterrestrials that I am fortunate to land a TRI and reapply!

We're talking about TRI as in DO, correct? I was under the impression that many of these stay empty. Do they fill up each year?

Members don't see this ad :)
We're talking about TRI as in DO, correct? I was under the impression that many of these stay empty. Do they fill up each year?

Yes DO TRI. I am bidding on a spot now. Waiting to hear back.

Just so you know you would have to repeat even the internal medicine and neuro. We took someone like this (when I was in academia) and rules didint allow the PGY1 year from a osteopathic year to transfer. He was an excellent resident, that extra year really helped him.

Just so you know you would have to repeat even the internal medicine and neuro. We took someone like this (when I was in academia) and rules didint allow the PGY1 year from a osteopathic year to transfer. He was an excellent resident, that extra year really helped him.

Yes. I would be happy (well, accepting) of the need to repeat PGY-1 if it meant I could do what my heart desires. And it would in fact be very good experience.

Did you apply to MD only, or to DO programs too? And are they any open DO psych spots left?

What was your app flaw?

Toothless, I am really sorry to hear about what happened. Based on your posts here and in other threads it sounds like you are dealing with it really well. The match is a crazy, sucky system (there were more than a few people crying on match day at my school, and those were people who did match) but the good news is, if you apply again, you might be able to go nontraditional and get some "pre-match" offers. If you got interviews this time around, you will again. I wish you the best.

What was your app flaw?

They are legion. Seriously though: I needed to take a LOA for family concerns 2nd year resulting in 2 remediated classes and a board exam retake. Plus a (still) pending step 2 PE. I'm guessing.

Toothless, I am really sorry to hear about what happened. Based on your posts here and in other threads it sounds like you are dealing with it really well. The match is a crazy, sucky system (there were more than a few people crying on match day at my school, and those were people who did match) but the good news is, if you apply again, you might be able to go nontraditional and get some "pre-match" offers. If you got interviews this time around, you will again. I wish you the best.

Thanks for the encouragement.

The overall percentage of DO's who successfully matched in this years allo match was about 72%. That is for ALL specialties. Stats from the last few years show that number to remain pretty consistent around 70%. I would think that acceptance number would be a littler (if not significantly) higher for psych, mainly because of the vast number of non-US MD graduates (DO, FMG's/IMG's) that apply to psych. If my quick math is correct about 41% of all applicants participating in the match for ALL specialties are non-US schooled MD's. Whereas, approximately 65% of psych applicants are non- US MD's.

I have also seen a graph charting the number of schools ranked and the percent chance of matching. It was broken down by type of applicant I believe (MD, DO, FMG). Obviously there was a direct correlation between # of schools ranked and successful match. I can't find that and don't remember where I saw it, so if anyone wants to post that I'd appreciate it.

Overall if you apply broadly and rank a number of programs I would guess you would have a very good chance of matching.

It was in the NRMP match stats somewhere

Found it. Data from the '09 match. Starts on page 240. But it only breaks it down by US MD seniors vs others ("Independent") so it probably isn't as helpful as it could be. A quick crunch of the numbers shows that Independent applications who ranked between 6-13 programs matched with an 82% success rate. For applicants who ranked >13 programs the numbers dropped off significantly, which could make sense because if you feel the need to rank 20 programs you probably aren't that strong of an applicant. Also interesting was that the majority of independent applicants, in fact the large majority, only ranked 1-2 programs.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/chartingoutcomes2009v3.pdf