2011 Unfilled Neuro Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LAhottie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From the 2011 NRMP Advanced Tables, there were 3 categorical and 7 advanced neurology programs that were unfilled. Which ones were they?

Members don't see this ad.

no one? i heard columbia was on the list.

You can log into the nrmp site, go to my reports, and see a list of all the programs and all specialties numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes, it does indeed look like a "prestigious" manhattan program did not fill. Also it looks like 2 los angeles programs did not fill - lower tier for sure both of them but still very attractive programs to many many people just based on location. I would never have expected any of these 3 to go unfilled. It was notable for me especially because all three of these programs were ones that I would have considered highly but for which I didn't get an interview. I wonder if they had to scramble for IMG's (not to disparage IMG's).

The norcal program on probation filled, although that wasn't surprising since the probation seemed overblown and the program was actually decent.

On the other hand, there was one program that I really expected to go unfilled... filled.

Strange match year?

The LA programs probably had very stringent interview requirements and were too selective!

The LA programs probably had very stringent interview requirements and were too selective!

i'm not referring to any program specifically but in general i would say some of the west coast programs are arrogant out of proportion to caliber, based on location, nothing else...one place that didn't fill put me on hold and i practically begged them for an interview but was brushed off...

then again, don't think these guys necessarily get filled with IMG's...note that some places purposely leave a spot or spots open to fill with top applicants...someone from a top tier school with top tier numbers may list only a handful of top tier places and not match...they probably hope to get those guys and if not, then the IMG with double 99s. it's usually a win-win strategy, although you may get the personality-disordered applicant that no one else wanted.

as for top tier places that don't fill, that's probably them being too arrogant and ranking "top tier" people only...and those top tier people ranked other top tier places higher. although location may be crappy for quality of life at some places too.

...keep in mind more places are shifting away from being advanced, so even if they were historically not uber competitive to get, they now are competitive based on location AND structure...I mean look at the ROL thread, when people getting interviews at UCSF are listing places that are far less prestigious still within their top five, you know that's purely location...

Last edited:
Are you referring to the California-or-bust lists? Or perhaps the Must-go-to-Miami lists? I agree that location becomes a huge factor in the residency choice (in contrast to the medical school choice) for many legitimate reasons. And the sunny states win that battle.

However, when it comes to arrogance, I think there's plenty of it in the northeast as well - certainly no less (and even greater imo) than the west coast bias. I've noticed quite a lot of california-bashing in the northeast, most of it coming from people who have not spent signficant time out there or none at all. There is less Miami bashing, I think, because so many more northeast snowbirds spend their winters in Florida/Carolinas and so they are more familiar with the southeast. The californians... well they generally don't think much of the east - not in the sense that they think down on the east, but rather that they don't think of the east at all for 99.9% of the time.

Yeah that's sorta what I meant, say of the list of top 80 programs, having #1 and #70-something in one's top five means sunshine matters...Especially places that have historically had more IMGs or gone unmatched in the past, goes to show how much advanced positions are becoming undesirable as well. I got top tier and ivy neuro interviews outside of the west, but practically had to beg for the few meh tier neuro invites i got out west (and that was using my personal ties). climate is huuuge and i know plenty of non-west coasters complain about not getting west coast interviews...true, the northeast has a snootier culture across the board at high nose places, but the invite culture of some west coast places that are for all intensive purposes, umm, barely one step above being community-based in reputation, is redonnnnkulous. they seriously look for people with 250s and can get them. my west coast interviews seemed overly usmle-centric and for no good reason.

Last edited:
Don't forget that Manhattan has by far the highest cost of living anywhere in the country... where $800/month gets you a mattress in an attic space (and no private bathroom).

Yeah... when a Manhattan neuro resident told me that she was taking out loans during residency (married with kids) it made me drop Manhattan down to the bottom of my list. Still a cool city, but I guess you can't really enjoy it on ~50K/yr.

Those residencies generally pay 5-15K more per year...I saw some PGY2-3s salaries into the mid 60Ks...That being said, if we're talking expensive cities, I'd take SF for the sole reason that nursing staff is probably easier to work with and you're less likely to get roaches, bedbugs, and mice in your 2K per month setup.