2011 US News and World Report Vet Med Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rabidus Vox

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/veterinarian-rankings

#1 Cornell University Ithaca, NY
#2 University of California--Davis Davis, CA
#3 Colorado State University Fort Collins, CO
#3 North Carolina State University Raleigh, NC
#5 Ohio State University Columbus, OH
#5 University of Pennsylvania Philadelphia, PA
#5 University of Wisconsin--Madison Madison, WI
#8 Texas A&M University--College Station College Station, TX
#9 Michigan State University East Lansing, MI
#9 University of Georgia Athens, GA
#9 University of Minnesota--Twin Cities St. Paul, MN
#12 University of Florida Gainesville, FL
#13 Tufts University North Grafton, MA
#14 Purdue University--West Lafayette West Lafayette, IN
#15 Auburn University Auburn University, AL
#15 Washington State University Pullman, WA
#17 Iowa State University Ames, IA
#17 Virginia Tech/University of Maryland Blacksburg, VA
#19 Kansas State University Manhattan, KS
#19 University of Illinois--Urbana-Champaign Urbana, IL
#19 University of Missouri Columbia, MO
#22 Louisiana State University--Baton Rouge Baton Rouge, LA
#24 Mississippi State University Mississippi State, MS
#25 Oklahoma State University Stillwater, OK
#26 Oregon State University Corvallis, OR
NR Tuskeegee University
NR Western University of Health Sciences

Members don't see this ad.

yadda yadda blah blah....they all have excellent NAVLE pass rates so who cares! ;)

Thanks for posting, though. I like looking at the numbers just for kicks.

Just US schools huh? What about those abroad! :rolleyes:

Any of us are lucky to go to any of these schools. After all, when we come out, we're vets!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just looking at how you posted right before me heylodeb, and how similar the format/overall response was. Two peas.

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a 5-point scale: outstanding (5), strong (4), good (3), adequate (2), or marginal (1). They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear. "

Not exactely the best way to rank things! ha!

I'm just happy that the cheapest schools are able to 'compete' with the pricier ones, even if I am currently grumpy about the academics.

I'd be interested in seeing schools ranked just by average GPA and GRE of their admitted students. I know that's far from a perfect system, but it seems more reasonable than the current method.

I'd be interested in seeing schools ranked just by average GPA and GRE of their admitted students. I know that's far from a perfect system, but it seems more reasonable than the current method.

Ouch, that would suck hard core. Then the schools that really care about rankings would probably start emphasizing GPA and GRE as their primary criteria for admissions!

Out of something like 1700 applicants, CSU's average GRE scores weren't very impressive and GPA was like 3.4 or something (I forget exactly because what they report on their webpage and what they say are different sometimes) because they take into consideration a lot of different factors. With that many applicants, I'm pretty sure they could easily create a class with much higher GPA + GRE. But I'm almost certain that would be at the cost of many many non-trad students in our class.

admin at CSU does care quite a bit about USA news rankings. huh, maybe that's why students are ranked too :idea:. someone i'm sure is very unhappy right now:smuggrin:.

Hmm, good point. Maybe it's better that they don't rank them that way.

Yeah I don't think I've heard of any rankings made that way. Med school rankings are done by research dollars. Which I think is also weird since it seems to have little to do with the med school education. I work in research at the Penn med school, currently ranked #2, and completely agree that its a great school. But I don't see any direct correlation between the basic science work that I do and the quality of doctors produced here.
Vet school rankings to me make even less sense than the med school list.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the best type of ranking would be to somehow combine how "happy" students are while they are attending with NAVLE pass rates and maybe prestige of the actual graduates?

Obviously, I have no idea how it could be done but having your peers rank you in what seems to be a rather subjective manner probably isn't the best.

EDIT: Unless of course, I get into Davis....'cuz ya'll will then be considered the dirt underneath my "oh so impressive" #2 vet school shoes. *tongue firmly in cheek*

Last edited:
Vet school rankings to me make even less sense than the med school list.

I can see it being pretty difficult to rank. NAVLE pass rates? Probably fairly similar, or perhaps following a normal distribution.

GPA/GRE scores? That creates a motivation for the college with regards to admissions that probably hurts the field overall.

Job placement within first 6 months out of school? That probably has geographical complexities that mitigate its value.

Maybe percentage of students that go on to residencies/etc.?

I don't follow this yearly ranking, but just out of curiosity: what's the point in ranking them at all?

I can see it being pretty difficult to rank. NAVLE pass rates? Probably fairly similar, or perhaps following a normal distribution.

GPA/GRE scores? That creates a motivation for the college with regards to admissions that probably hurts the field overall.

Job placement within first 6 months out of school? That probably has geographical complexities that mitigate its value.

Maybe percentage of students that go on to residencies/etc.?

I don't follow this yearly ranking, but just out of curiosity: what's the point in ranking them at all?

:thumbup: great points! yeah, NAVLE pass rates won't do much I'm afraid, because a lot of schools have very very high pass rates. And failures are more reflective of students that have issues rather than the education in a lot of cases.

Unlike med school, residencies are a choice for vets since you can just as well go into private practice without one. I don't think it would be fair to penalize a school for having students that just want to go into private practice.

Why have rankings? I think people just have a somewhat sick need to rank, but that's just my opinion.

:thumbup: great points! yeah, NAVLE pass rates won't do much I'm afraid, because a lot of schools have very very high pass rates. And failures are more reflective of students that have issues rather than the education in a lot of cases.

Unlike med school, residencies are a choice for vets since you can just as well go into private practice without one. I don't think it would be fair to penalize a school for having students that just want to go into private practice.

Why have rankings? I think people just have a somewhat sick need to rank, but that's just my opinion.

yup. I agree. I still stand by my first post up top. Who the heck cares? Each school (even the UN RANKED schools) are pumping out fabulous and in some cases not fabulous veterinarians. It's what you make of it.

yup. I agree. I still stand by my first post up top. Who the heck cares? Each school (even the UN RANKED schools) are pumping out fabulous and in some cases not fabulous veterinarians. It's what you make of it.

oh yeah, i def agree with you. It's totally pointless. I was just speculating as to why it exists, and was pretty much trying to say that there's really no way to even do it right even if there was a reason to rank.

Ugh, what a complete waste of time.

What I hate the most is how everyone outside of vet med looks up these rankings and actually believes they have something to do with the quality of education.

How many of you have had family members look up the rankings when you got into a school and use it to pass some kind of a judgment? :bang:

Well, if it was all up to rankings, your decision would be easy! (yes, I realize I am following you onto another thread to harass you about it)

I dunno you guys, I think there might be something to gain from the rankings. Sure, you graduate a vet just the same from each school, but they can be ranked to each other on a comparative basis. The reason I believe this is because it has always been clear to me why Cornell is #1.

I do agree, however, that what's more important than the US N&W Report rankings is how the school personally suits and fits with each student.

Well, if it was all up to rankings, your decision would be easy! (yes, I realize I am following you onto another thread to harass you about it)

ha ha, yes! Ohio #5 and Illinois #19. Thanks US N&W for making my decision for me!

teatime: I love harassment. You can follow me anywhere.

They should rank the schools based on some sort of assessment of the vets who graduated from there, that would make the most sense. Like maybe surveys of people who worked with them, had patients treated by them etc. But I'm sure that would probably be a big hassle :rolleyes:

Ugh, what a complete waste of time.

What I hate the most is how everyone outside of vet med looks up these rankings and actually believes they have something to do with the quality of education.

How many of you have had family members look up the rankings when you got into a school and use it to pass some kind of a judgment? :bang:

I actually sent this thread to my dad, before this comment, specifically because of comments he made about Oregon after sending me a link to the USNWR list. :laugh: I :love: Oregon! Even though they didn't love me back.

Sure, you graduate a vet just the same from each school, but they can be ranked to each other on a comparative basis. The reason I believe this is because it has always been clear to me why Cornell is #1.

On the comparative basis of what, though? Like other people said, do you use GPA? NAVLE pass rates? What about separate departments (LA, equine, SA, research, lab animal, aquaculture...)? All this says is "perceptions of academic quality". That seems like a pretty vague way of comparison.

I dunno you guys, I think there might be something to gain from the rankings.

I'll bite: What is to be gained from the rankings?

I :love: Oregon! Even though they didn't love me back.

Don't worry. I'm sure Penn will love you over.. and over.... and over...... for four years straight. :)

The reason I believe this is because it has always been clear to me why Cornell is #1.

I'm just curious why it's so clear that Cornell is #1 to you. I'm not trying to pick a fight, but what is it about Cornell that makes it "better" than any of the other schools on the list? Basically I'm wondering if there is some evidence you can point to that indicates that Cornell produces better veterinarians or if this is a bias on your part? I don't deny that it's Ivy League so it has that going for it, but what does it have that other schools lack besides that prestige? Again, really not trying to pick a fight, just curious. :)

It really sucks that they rank things.... considering they're only ranking 28 schools! That's just such a low number to pit each against each other, because I feel like all the schools are good in the quality of education and the doctors that come out of them. When people ask me about which vet school is best, I just say "Well, there are only 28, so they're ALL good..." Maybe they're not all conducive to one person's learning style, and maybe one student prefers the curriculum method or something about a school over another, but in terms of their programs, I think all the schools are competitive.

I also wanted to say that I wonder if the rankings also have to do with perhaps the facilities of schools. I know LSU has been nailed by AVMA because of some of their facilities and the lack of updates that have been made, so I wonder how that would factor into the rankings. I haven't seen the facilities of basically any other schools, but I know LSU has a pretty antiquated building and a very small library, etc... I was just curious if some of the higher ranked schools had really nice, newer facilities?

I dunno you guys, I think there might be something to gain from the rankings. Sure, you graduate a vet just the same from each school, but they can be ranked to each other on a comparative basis. The reason I believe this is because it has always been clear to me why Cornell is #1.

I do agree, however, that what's more important than the US N&W Report rankings is how the school personally suits and fits with each student.

I guess I'm just wondering what makes a "#1" school number 1?? I don't think I'm getting less of an education being all the way down at #22... no it doesn't look great to those who aren't in school and who think of this as like a college football team (who is better than who?!), but to me, these rankings are kind of subjective, and I don't think they are surveying for the right statistics. If you're trying to compare schools to each other, and the bottom line is education, yet you're not comparing the actual results of the education (ie: pass rates, success of vets to come out) then I don't know what you're comparing.

It might be apparent to you why Cornell is #1 because it was probably THE best choice for you and thus you are benefiting from their program and think they are doing everything right and as it should be. But someone else who decided against for whatever reason and chose to go with a different school with a different program that works more for them might not feel the same way.

All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline.

But they aren't ranking them with any hard facts. Which makes the rankings useless.

It may be "clear" to you that a certain school is ranked highly. It might be "clear" to another person why another school is ranked higher, or should be, or should not be. That's just your own experience, unless you have personally spent a generous amount of time at *every* school and therefore would be able to judge.

Until they start ranking based on stats and facts, not self-perception, rank means jack.

And I'm not speaking out of bitterness or anything. I am currently at a very highly ranked institution. But I still think ranking are BS. Especially when you throw in the arguement about specific departments. A #15 school may have a superior, say, equine program to a #2 school. It's too generalized and nebulous.

Haha... the last 3 posts are identical...

And this is why my undergrad refused to go into any of these reports too. Frivolous rankings if you ask me.

Have you attended every school then Azarael?? If you have and Cornell is still #1, then by all means I will let your comment stand....

Until then...I love my vet school, and who cares about stupid #'s. Penn is as good as Tufts is as good as Glasgow is as good as _______. Let me pass the NAVLE in 3 years, and I will be a very happy girl.

WhtsThFrequency, it took me a second to figure out who you were. I'm likin' the avatar :)

To add my opinion, I don't put any weight in this ranking system. I didn't look at it for undergrad, and won't for vet schools. Fortunately, my mom was just happy I was doing what I wanted to do and did very little to interfere with me going to the college of my choice.

Hopefully people start to realize it doesn't really matter, but I'm sure we'll continue to see comments about rankings (not to mention undergrads/parents shoving them in peoples' faces). Do any vet schools brag about these rankings anyway? I only applied to one so I'm actually interested...

This is silly. Clearly schools should be ranked based on how many obnoxious Oz references their students are willing to put up with for going there.

Just throwing it out there: Why not rank based on physical fitness of faculty? Have schools literally duel it out? Maybe? Please?

Just throwing it out there: Why not rank based on physical fitness of faculty? Have schools literally duel it out? Maybe? Please?

I like this idea, but why let the faculty have all the fun?

Do any vet schools brag about these rankings anyway? I only applied to one so I'm actually interested...

I don't know about "bragging" but I'm pretty sure most of the ones at the top will make some mention of it in some kind of PR sense and the ones at the bottom won't. Whether that's bragging or not is kinda debatable, I think...I mean, it exists so why not use it to your advantage for stuff like recruitment and such?

edit: and yeah, relatives and acquaintances of mine who pay attention to things like USNWR rankings all mentioned it when I started here. But it seems like most people think that whatever vet school is in their state is the "best" one because it's the only one they ever hear about. :laugh:

It's okay to be scared, bonaparte. Kansas has some extreme weather, and we all know how well you fare with that ;)

I don't know about "bragging" but I'm pretty sure most of the ones at the top will make some mention of it in some kind of PR sense and the ones at the bottom won't. Whether that's bragging or not is kinda debatable, I think...I mean, it exists so why not use it to your advantage for stuff like recruitment and such?

edit: and yeah, relatives and acquaintances of mine who pay attention to things like USNWR rankings all mentioned it when I started here. But it seems like most people think that whatever vet school is in their state is the "best" one because it's the only one they ever hear about. :laugh:

I could definitely understand mentioning it, I just didn't know if they tried to use it as a selling point.

I'd have to agree with your last comment though! When people find out I applied to vet school, they ask where and I tell them, "Just Mizzou." And then they get into the whole, "Oh that's one of the best programs!" Funny stuff.

I could definitely understand mentioning it, I just didn't know if they tried to use it as a selling point.

I'd have to agree with your last comment though! When people find out I applied to vet school, they ask where and I tell them, "Just Mizzou." And then they get into the whole, "Oh that's one of the best programs!" Funny stuff.

If I had a dime for every time a client said to me, "You know, K-State is an EXCELLENT vet school," with a knowing nod--I'd be able to pay back a good 20% of my student loans. :rolleyes: Clients definitely have no idea and rankings are pretty worthless overall, though I admit my school doesn't belong at the top. :) (Hey, I'm man--er, woman--enough to say it!)

Well, probably for the reasons we all listed above... the rankings don't mean anything. It would be like adding a false sense of superiority, and just adding to the very thing we're all trying to dispel amongst the vet school world. I would be turned off by a school who's selling point was simply "We're #1!" I guess they could back it up with reasons they felt they were number one, but vet school isn't a product I'm deciding to buy, it's a career...

If I had a dime for every time a client said to me, "You know, K-State is an EXCELLENT vet school," with a knowing nod--I'd be able to pay back a good 20% of my student loans. :rolleyes: Clients definitely have no idea and rankings are pretty worthless overall, though I admit my school doesn't belong at the top. :) (Hey, I'm man--er, woman--enough to say it!)

Mine doesn't either... and uncoincidentally- it's not.

If I had a dime for every time a client said to me, "You know, K-State is an EXCELLENT vet school," with a knowing nod--I'd be able to pay back a good 20% of my student loans.

Ha ha! That reminds me of a guy I met when I was in Kansas for my interview. According to him, K-State is the #1 vet school in the country.

edit: Not saying it isn't. That's just how he thought it was officially ranked. And surprise, he was a Kansas native.

Ha ha! That reminds me of a guy I met when I was in Kansas for my interview. According to him, K-State is the #1 vet school in the country.
I've had many people say that to me about MSU. Surprisingly, most of the people who tell me that MSU has the best vet school aren't Michiganders, most of them are Virginians!

I think rankings should be done by the the AVMA and based on research, student achievement and teaching hospitals.

Well, probably for the reasons we all listed above... the rankings don't mean anything. It would be like adding a false sense of superiority, and just adding to the very thing we're all trying to dispel amongst the vet school world. I would be turned off by a school who's selling point was simply "We're #1!" I guess they could back it up with reasons they felt they were number one, but vet school isn't a product I'm deciding to buy, it's a career...

I don't think vet schools use ranking to get students there...but I'm sure we use ranking to get funding. "look at us, one of the youngest and cheapest and in the top 3, yay NCSU! donate, sponsor, fund, contribute!" sort of thing...and in these economic times with climbing tuition, I am all for ringing any positive contributions out of 'ranking pride' even if I think that the entire this in thin slicing and arbitrary.