2011 VMSAR - Is it worth it??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnyshine

Kansas State C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to gear up for another application cycle and just wanted to know if anyone found the VMSAR booklet published by the AAVMC to be useful when applying. I don't know if it is worth the money, only because I would assume that most of the information in it is already available online? Any thoughts??

Members don't see this ad.

I bought one for the application cycle and loved it. Yeah, all that info can be found online, but this saves you the time and trouble of finding it, saving it, printing it, realizing you forgot something and going back to find it again, etc. I highlighted, wrote, crossed out, and abused my book and it was nice to have everything in one place.

I found it extremely helpful. You can find all the info you need online, but the VMSAR book will make your life much easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES! and no, not all of the info can be found online! you can find a lot of info online and make a spread sheet, but you will never be able to find everything that is in the book. make sure to check out the back, it has a ton of tables with AMAZING info

Thanks for all of the advice everyone! I just ordered a copy and can't wait for it to get here. There seems to be a large amount of favor for it.

I ordered mine last week, but then received a follow-up email saying the book was out of stock.

Anyone else had this problem?

Who did you order from teatime? I ordered mine from Amazon.com but I haven't received a shipping confirmation yet.

Honestly, you dont HAVE to have the book now. I think if you got it around July u'd be fine....even early Aug. It will take you a while to fill out the VMCAS page and do the personal statement. I didn't get to my supplemental essays til Aug. So, they should have more in stock in a month!

edit: sunnyshine is right, it does look like it's in stock on amazon. i bought mine on amazon last year too.
http://www.amazon.com/Veterinary-Me...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274214316&sr=8-1

I ordered from the website that the AAVMC website links you to...I forgot the name. Hopefully they'll have it back in stock soon...

Amazon just shipped my copy like an hour ago. It should be here in a few days and as a vet school nerd I am going to have alot of fun reading about all of the different schools (even ones I am not applying to).

I'm happy you guys got your books, but i'm mad at myself for not ordering from amazon. :mad:

Oh well, it's not like with finals coming up I'm going to have any time to actually look at it.

I ordered mine last week, but then received a follow-up email saying the book was out of stock.

Anyone else had this problem?

Yes. I got an email saying that the expected date was "indefinite." Indefinite? Honestly? o_O

Yes. I got an email saying that the expected date was "indefinite." Indefinite? Honestly? o_O

Yes, that's what bothered me the most. Hopefully if they don't get it back in stock within a month, Amazon will. Fingers crossed!

Mine just got here today. It is pretty cool and has some useful info in it. Best of luck to everyone still waiting. Let me know how you make out.

It probably just wasn't back from the printers yet.

For anyone who's interested, it's back in stock on Amazon. I'm gonna cancel my order through the publisher. I guess I'm just a lil impatient... :rolleyes:

I think it all deoends on how many schools you'll be applying to. I only applied to one so it was a waste of my $$. BUT, if you'll be applying to many it will be a quick easy reference.

I didn't want to fork out the cash, so I went to my school's library and xeroxed the parts I wanted. If your school doesn't have it, most schools have interlibrary loan.