2012-2013 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you did not go to college directly after high school, please explain: (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)

If you are not expecting to go directly to medical school after completing your undergraduate work, please explain. (1400 character limit, approximately 280 words)

If you have spent more than 4 years as an undergraduate, please explain below. (You may skip this question if you have graduated within 4 years.)

Please provide a narrative or timeline to describe any features of your educational history that you think may be of particular interest to us. For example, have you lived in another country or experienced a culture unlike your own, or worked in a field that contributed to your understanding of people unlike yourself? Or, have you experienced advanced training in any area, including the fields of art, music, or sports? This is an opportunity to describe learning experiences that may not be covered in other areas of this application. It is not necessary to write anything in this section. (2000 character limit, approximately 400 words)

We have found that for most applicants, an extra essay written expressly for Boston University adds little to the information content of the portfolio. While we no longer require an essay, some applicants feel that additional information is necessary in order to provide us with a comprehensive understanding of their strengths as a candidate for a career in medicine. If you wish, use the space below to offer an essay or any other information, addressing any issue you feel is of importance. If you choose to use the space, please do not duplicate information provided elsewhere in this Supplemental Application or in material you have submitted to AMCAS.
For most applicants, no supplementary essay will be necessary and this space can be left blank.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One of my top choices by far - even though I've lived in NC for 12 years, I spent most of my childhood in Boston. GREAT PLACE!

One of my top choices by far - even though I've lived in NC for 12 years, I spent most of my childhood in Boston. GREAT PLACE!

This is one of my top choices as well. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS primary submitted on 6/6. Hoping for the best! Good luck to everyone applying! :xf:

By far, one of my most memorable interviews last cycle. BU's a good place to be.

My #1 choice. I would love to go to BU :xf:

Dude, why are you even worried, your signature says you've already been accepted, lol ;) but seriously, just because youve submitted the applications does not in any way mean you will be a member of the class of 2017, im sorry, but this is just the way the application process works, and the last thing I think you would want to do to yourself is jinx it by putting that as you signature. I know how hard I had to work and how long I had to wait until i could finally put mine up

Cool story. What makes you think I haven't worked hard to get to where I am today? I'm well aware of how the application process works. What I don't understand is why you're so worried about my signature. Congratulations on being accepted to the class of 2016. Hopefully you're not this pretentious with your future patients.

In b4 Burnett's Law. :lock:

Well, on that note, I'm so excited to apply here! I'm a M*sshole with strong family ties to Boston so I hope I get in. I would love to be close to home. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really interested in BU. Apart from the fact that my dad and uncle both went there for their master's and stuff. I am interested in them because it is a great institution. Oh and as an added bonus, I was born in Boston, MA so it would be awesome to be back home where I belong hahaha. For those of you going to BUMS right now any tips on how to stand out and what to do? Because this is definitely one of my top schools. Some advice for interviews and someone reading possible essays (not saying that I have BU's secondary; I am just trying to work on last years lol) would be great as well. Haha thanks guys :D

I'm really interested in BU. Apart from the fact that my dad and uncle both went there for their master's and stuff. I am interested in them because it is a great institution. Oh and as an added bonus, I was born in Boston, MA so it would be awesome to be back home where I belong hahaha. For those of you going to BUMS right now any tips on how to stand out and what to do? Because this is definitely one of my top schools. Some advice for interviews and someone reading possible essays (not saying that I have BU's secondary; I am just trying to work on last years lol) would be great as well. Haha thanks guys :D

As someone accepted, and attending in about a month. BUSM is definitely service/community/diversity oriented, so ECs that cater to that are likely going to help you stand out.

The interviews are largely the same as other schools...general info session, tour, catered lunch, and financial aid session. The big difference, for me at least, was the size of the interview group which was relatively enormous. My day there were...35 or so people? Also there is only one interview that is located somewhere on campus. They give you directions and people are more than friendly enough to help you find where you're going.

My interview was really relaxed. It was extremely conversational, and it felt like they were just getting a feel for who I was, rather than asking specific questions. Honestly, if you're just genuine you would probably be fine.

As someone accepted, and attending in about a month. BUSM is definitely service/community/diversity oriented, so ECs that cater to that are likely going to help you stand out.

The interviews are largely the same as other schools...general info session, tour, catered lunch, and financial aid session. The big difference, for me at least, was the size of the interview group which was relatively enormous. My day there were...35 or so people? Also there is only one interview that is located somewhere on campus. They give you directions and people are more than friendly enough to help you find where you're going.

My interview was really relaxed. It was extremely conversational, and it felt like they were just getting a feel for who I was, rather than asking specific questions. Honestly, if you're just genuine you would probably be fine.

With a group that size, did they still play the game where you have to go in a circle saying your name, school, interests, etc?

Well a lot of people tell me that I am genuine. I take it as a very inspirational compliment. I mean I love volunteering, participating in clubs and organizations, along with tutoring. The only things I am concerned about are my stats. I mean I am busting my butt this summer trying to ace some classes and I am planning on re-taking the MCAT this August. I plan on murdering the MCAT lol. Thanks for your input and advice though :)

Has anyone received a secondary yet? I've received 4 secondaries so far but nothing from BU :/

Could you please tell us what the prompt is?

why won't this stupid secondary let me upload my picture! It keeps disappearing and not saving! AHHHHHHHHH

Hey guys,

My AMCAS just received its final transcript today and is now in the stage "ready for review" yet I still received my BU secondary today.

I thought it had to be verified by AMCAS before I would receive secondaries?

Thanks

Last edited:
Could you please post the essay prompt(s) when you get a chance? Thanks!!

Hey guys,

My AMCAS just received its final transcript today and is now in the stage "ready for review" yet I still received my BU secondary today.

I thought it had to be verified by AMCAS before I would receive secondaries?

Thanks
I got mine too and my AMCAS still isnt verified. I submitted on June 14th and today on the AMCAS website it said that they were only up to June 12th. So I am not sure why I got the BU secondary today.

lol Anyone get a secondary that HAS been verified?
maybe their assbackwards :p

Haha I'm gonna keep telling myself thats why I haven't gotten my secondary yet :laugh:

i'm having the same issues uploading a photo. any luck on your end?

No!! And I just tried again now, thinking maybe some of the activity on the server would have died down. WTF I've tried it as all different sizes in pixels and as jpg, gif nothing works. I sent them an email but it just seems like such a stupid little thing to be preventing me from submitting.

lol Anyone get a secondary that HAS been verified?
maybe their assbackwards :p

Oh well, if Blais hasn't gotten one yet, I won't worry. Jk. They're assbackwards.

So looking at last years thread it looks like filling out the optional essay may be frowned upon. Thoughts?

So looking at last years thread it looks like filling out the optional essay may be frowned upon. Thoughts?

If it was "frowned upon," why even have the option?

I think they just don't want people to rehash stuff from the primary for the sake of filling out the essay.

But, what do I know? Just another premed. :)

Just got it!

me so jealous!

Hmmm...Can you answer this:

Does the first letter of your last name fall before or after the letter Q?

After

Had to resize (make it larger) my photo, but it uploaded fine. I used my webcam/skype to take it.

Uh.. the V. Prerequisite Grid? I was in undergrad for 8 semesters (4 years), but took more than 8 humanities classes. Should I just put 8 semesters or should I put X number of classes completed over those semesters?

Weird still no secondary here.

Same bro.

Feelsbadman.jpg

I was verified 6/5 too. Recieved mayo,duke,ecu,temple,Einstein already. Guess Boston is sending in random batches. Guess I won't complain I've got my hands full now with duke haha

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary? I have everything else filled out and ready to go but when I hit submit nothing happens.

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the secondary? I have everything else filled out and ready to go but when I hit submit nothing happens.

how did you get the picture to upload???

I'm also confused; I submitted this past Friday (6/29) so of course I am nowhere near being verified, but I still got a secondary this morning...

Same here. Submitted on 6/26 but I just got the secondary invitation today... Hmm... Is this a trick, BU?

[edit]

From their admissions page:

"Once AMCAS has notified the Office of Admissions that an applicant is interested in applying to Boston University School of Medicine (BUSM), we will send out an initial contact email with all information necessary for starting the secondary application process. All applications are completed electronically."

Looks like they just bounce back the secondary once they've received notification of interest, regardless of whether or not the application has been fully processed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.