2012-2013 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm excited about applying here since I love Howard's mission.

Im applying as well!!! Taking the MCAT in Aug, kind of late, but it's worth a try!

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome everyone on the thread at Howard. Best wishes and prayers to everyone.

So sorry to see you here Sweetness34. Everyone was pulling for you last year. But this year we are the gunners !!!

Applying here this application process and hoping for some Howard love as well!! I will also be taking a late MCAT July 27th. Good luck to everyone else!!

I'm applying too. Taking MCAT in July and still have to finish PS and activities section to submit my application. I just want to be in somebodies medical school Fall 2013, so I can start the next phase of my life.

I'm applying too. Taking MCAT in July and still have to finish PS and activities section to submit my application. I just want to be in somebodies medical school Fall 2013, so I can start the next phase of my life.

Same. It makes me rather nervous that people have already submitted their applications already. Mine won't be finished until next week at the earliest.

hi,

Does any one have the MSAR available for Howard, I tried their website, and either I cant find it there, or I am a horrible web surfer.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,

Does any one have the MSAR available for Howard, I tried their website, and either I cant find it there, or I am a horrible web surfer.

Thanks in advance!

Pretty sure it's on MSAR. It's only $20.

Pretty sure it's on MSAR. It's only $20.

I have the book, but its from 2010-2011 cycle, I applied then, and want to know if things have changed much since then?

Hoping this year we will share good news. Keep the hope and prayers up.

Praying that Howard shows me acceptance love this time around:D

Same here aspiringdoc09! I feel like I've been in some horrible type of limbo for the past 3 years of my life:(

Hey Sweetness:hello: This is going to be our year friend!!!:D:highfive::clap::D

Praying that Howard shows me acceptance love this time around:D

Same here aspiringdoc09! I feel like I've been in some horrible type of limbo for the past 3 years of my life:(

Hey Sweetness:hello: This is going to be our year friend!!!:D:highfive::clap::D

Hey InsanelyPosh, i know it's a tough feeling :( but all this hard work will pay off, we gotta keep up the hope and prayers, stay strong, and may we get that acceptance! I still love the school :love: and hope to be a student here soon! :)

Just submitted my application today! :)

I'm a little worried though. I won't get my MCAT scores back until late next month and I'm kind of feeling up in the air about how I did. =/

Here's to hoping that I did well and that Howard shows me some love!

Hey InsanelyPosh, i know it's a tough feeling :( but all this hard work will pay off, we gotta keep up the hope and prayers, stay strong, and may we get that acceptance! I still love the school :love: and hope to be a student here soon! :)

Yes Sweetness that's so true! I'm still very much in love with Howard, their mission, and everything about the school! :D we will make it. Just have to remain prayerful, faithful, and persistent! I'm taking the MCAT again in September. I hope that's not too late:(

Just submitted my application today! :)

I'm a little worried though. I won't get my MCAT scores back until late next month and I'm kind of feeling up in the air about how I did. =/

Here's to hoping that I did well and that Howard shows me some love!

Don't worry, hope you do good! :)

Yes Sweetness that's so true! I'm still very much in love with Howard, their mission, and everything about the school! :D we will make it. Just have to remain prayerful, faithful, and persistent! I'm taking the MCAT again in September. I hope that's not too late:(

I hope your exam goes well and don't worry! :)

Yup, I love everything about this school too and def keep faithful, prayerful, and persistent. :love:

Keep working hard and doing good. We will make it and become doctors! :)

Hey don't fret. I am pretty sure to still be qualified for most schools regular decision applicant pool then you have to take the MCAT NO LATER than some time in September 2012. Haha and hey I am planning on re-taking it too. My first score sucked but I am going to mean business about it this time. I already started studying for it this weekend. But I can see where you and most people are coming from because ugh idc which school I go to. I just want to get into a medical school! lol Best of luck to you :)

Thanks Adanne1990! I just don't want anything to get in my way of getting in this time! I'm still going to go ahead and submit my apps and just pray that my score is above and beyond up to par this time:D:thumbup:

Hey don't fret. I am pretty sure to still be qualified for most schools regular decision applicant pool then you have to take the MCAT NO LATER than some time in September 2012. Haha and hey I am planning on re-taking it too. My first score sucked but I am going to mean business about it this time. I already started studying for it this weekend. But I can see where you and most people are coming from because ugh idc which school I go to. I just want to get into a medical school! lol Best of luck to you :)

Sweetness34 are you the same Sweetness that posted in the Rosalind Franklin threads a few years back? If so, I wondered whatever happened to you. Your name sticks out since I'm a huge Chicago Bears fan.

Sweetness34 are you the same Sweetness that posted in the Rosalind Franklin threads a few years back? If so, I wondered whatever happened to you. Your name sticks out since I'm a huge Chicago Bears fan.

That was me, and I just worked harder, got involved with great work, and hoping and praying for that good news. After much thought about all the medical schools in our nation, I feel that this is the right school for me, and I love this school. I'm hoping to get accepted here. :)

Last edited:
Happy Independence Day everyone, and I wanted to say to all the first time applicants and reapplicants hope all the work and studying you are doing whether it be taking exams or classes go good. And I think some of you are also applying to other schools as well, and just wanted to say whether it be at Howard or the school of your choice, hope you get in! :)

Keep up the hard work and hope that we all share the good news soon! :)

Happy 4th everyone! I hope everything is going well for you all. I still haven't submitted my applications yet. I finally got my PS to perfection and have been checking and rechecking apps for errors before submitting. My MCAT is on Friday (3rd try). I don't feel any better about it. I am doing better in orgo and physics but my VR is killing me. I may be retaking in late August/September unless something miraculous happens. Good luck this cycle!

Happy 4th everyone! I hope everything is going well for you all. I still haven't submitted my applications yet. I finally got my PS to perfection and have been checking and rechecking apps for errors before submitting. My MCAT is on Friday (3rd try). I don't feel any better about it. I am doing better in orgo and physics but my VR is killing me. I may be retaking in late August/September unless something miraculous happens. Good luck this cycle!

Hope it goes well for you and that application turns good :)

You will do fine, just ace your test and submit your app. I'm sure everyone that applies will be give the benefit of the doubt.:):D Best wishes, and if you have any question feel free to ask. By the way I'm a 2nd yr.

Hey Brother Sweetness and InsanelyPosh,

How are you guys doing? I know this year will be your year, so don't worry. Just have faith and let God take care of the rest. Stay blessed and know i am rooting for you guys!!!!:):love:

That may have been the best test of my life, but I screwed up on VR by not focusing. I found myself rereading the first 3 passages over and over again. Guessed blindly on last two, so it sealed the deal for a void and retake. The PS/BS wasn't bad though. I guess I stared a gift horse in the mouth. lol. I will try to get another date for later this month or early August. I have to do my best. I guess I have more time to get my VR up to an 8 minimum.

That may have been the best test of my life, but I screwed up on VR by not focusing. I found myself rereading the first 3 passages over and over again. Guessed blindly on last two, so it sealed the deal for a void and retake. The PS/BS wasn't bad though. I guess I stared a gift horse in the mouth. lol. I will try to get another date for later this month or early August. I have to do my best. I guess I have more time to get my VR up to an 8 minimum.

hope it goes well for you! :)

You will do fine, just ace your test and submit your app. I'm sure everyone that applies will be give the benefit of the doubt.:):D Best wishes, and if you have any question feel free to ask. By the way I'm a 2nd yr.

hope the medical school studies are going good for you Cmaster :)

How are you guys doing? I know this year will be your year, so don't worry. Just have faith and let God take care of the rest. Stay blessed and know i am rooting for you guys!!!!:):love:

Sister Paaaakwasi!!! I am doing well and how are you? Hope the first year goes well :)

Indeed, gotta keep up the faith and hope. God is the greatest, and put my trust in Him!

I've worked hard throughout and I know all this hard work will pay off. We are almost there! :)

Hello Paaakwasi! All is well here. I picked myself up and hit the ground running:D I need to stop procrastinating and go ahead and submit my app! Gonna kill my pockets, but it will all be worth it once I get that acceptance:) Thank u for your concern and support:) This is our time!!! Definitely leaning heavily on my faith and trusting God to complete this work in me!

I am glad you guys are keeping the faith. I hope this year brings you good news. :):love:.

Sister Paaaakwasi!!! I am doing well and how are you? Hope the first year goes well :)

Indeed, gotta keep up the faith and hope. God is the greatest, and put my trust in Him!

I've worked hard throughout and I know all this hard work will pay off. We are almost there! :)

Hello Paaakwasi! All is well here. I picked myself up and hit the ground running:D I need to stop procrastinating and go ahead and submit my app! Gonna kill my pockets, but it will all be worth it once I get that acceptance:) Thank u for your concern and support:) This is our time!!! Definitely leaning heavily on my faith and trusting God to complete this work in me!

Yup, this is our time and we will do well! :)

Quran 2:155-157 rough meaning:

155) And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).
156) Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: "Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return."
157) They are those on whom are the Salawat (i.e. blessings, etc.) (i.e. who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided-ones.

The fruits of acceptance were not given to us last year, but lets stay patient and God will bless us this year.

Quran 2:155-157 rough meaning:

155) And certainly, We shall test you with something of fear, hunger, loss of wealth, lives and fruits, but give glad tidings to As-Sabirin (the patient ones, etc.).
156) Who, when afflicted with calamity, say: "Truly! To Allah we belong and truly, to Him we shall return."
157) They are those on whom are the Salawat (i.e. blessings, etc.) (i.e. who are blessed and will be forgiven) from their Lord, and (they are those who) receive His Mercy, and it is they who are the guided-ones.

The fruits of acceptance were not given to us last year, but lets stay patient and God will bless us this year.

Wow, the religious tones have already started. I hope this thread doesn't turn into last years worship thread...

If you want to be accepted, pply with good stats and be competent in your interview. Nothing else is going to have an affect on your decision other than an adcom.

Wow, the religious tones have already started. I hope this thread doesn't turn into last years worship thread...

If you want to be accepted, pply with good stats and be competent in your interview. Nothing else is going to have an affect on your decision other than an adcom.

That may be your opinion, but that is not true for a lot of people. Just as people should respect your opinion and politely disagree, you shouldn't shoot down others for stating their beliefs because they do not match up with your own. I'm sure in your mind, not understanding that it is all up to an adcom is completely asinine. However, you not understanding that it is all up to God/Allah/etc. is just as asinine to many people.

That may be your opinion, but that is not true for a lot of people. Just as people should respect your opinion and politely disagree, you shouldn't shoot down others for stating their beliefs because they do not match up with your own. I'm sure in your mind, not understanding that it is all up to an adcom is completely asinine. However, you not understanding that it is all up to God/Allah/etc. is just as asinine to many people.

Not really...Just ask the people who were praying in last year's thread who didn't get in.

Not really...Just ask the people who were praying in last year's thread who didn't get in.

In my case I pray to God to grant me what is best for me. If that means something other than medicine, it is his will and maybe medicine wouldn't have been good for me. Of course the person must do his part by earning good stats and showing competence, which I have. But in the end the will is in God's hand. Your free to your opinion. Nothing I said is offensive, so don't take offense.

I agree. This is a medical school tread not a worship thread. It was just one post.

In my case I pray to God to grant me what is best for me. If that means something other than medicine, it is his will and maybe medicine wouldn't have been good for me. Of course the person must do his part by earning good stats and showing competence, which I have. But in the end the will is in God's hand. Your free to your opinion. Nothing I said is offensive, so don't take offense.

I agree. This is a medical school tread not a worship thread. It was just one post.

I respect that man. Good luck to you in this cycle and to everyone else!

There's alot of factors that come to being accepted to medical school. Factors like stats, having a good interview, recommendations, activities, etc... are taking into considerations. Also, another factor could be the timing of the interview and if spots are available. Sometimes since not alot of spots are available.

Also, for some people, prayers help them cope and deal with things in life.

And if a person doesn't get in, it doesn't mean it is the end. Continue to work hard and may they get that acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.