-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 Panic Thread
Started by punkedoutriffs
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
4 interviews, 2 rejections, 2 silences.
I'm trying to keep my mind off of this because the wait is agony!
I'm trying to keep my mind off of this because the wait is agony!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What a ****ty day. Waitlisted at EVMS. Sigh.
brb jumping off a ****ing bridge
May 15th dude
It sucks to continue waiting, but anything is possible between now and July (or even August).What a ****ty day. Waitlisted at EVMS. Sigh.
brb jumping off a ****ing bridge
I know that feeling. I truly believe that there must be some special mental disorder induced in med school applicants.
In seriousness, do you know what tier of the wait list you're in? As an OOS applicant, you stand a fairly decent shot of getting pulled off if you're in the top third. Look at last year's EVMS thread if you want proof.
I know that feeling. I truly believe that there must be some special mental disorder induced in med school applicants.
In seriousness, do you know what tier of the wait list you're in? As an OOS applicant, you stand a fairly decent shot of getting pulled off if you're in the top third. Look at last year's EVMS thread if you want proof.
Yeah, last year's thread is comforting. I will call on Monday since I got the mail after their office closed. I'm assuming I'm not in the top 1/3 since I'm surprised that I didn't get rejected. The interviewer suggested that I go to a different school...
Sigh, I can't stand the thought of waiting until the summer for a possibility of acceptance. I just want to be done already. 🙁
Yeah, last year's thread is comforting. I will call on Monday since I got the mail after their office closed. I'm assuming I'm not in the top 1/3 since I'm surprised that I didn't get rejected. The interviewer suggested that I go to a different school...
Sigh, I can't stand the thought of waiting until the summer for a possibility of acceptance. I just want to be done already. 🙁
Chin up, Shaker! The odds are in your favor for an acceptance. It's only a matter of time.
i just recently got into a school! keep your heads up 🙂
i have 1 acceptance and 5 waitlists and no rejections from interviews. i'm also rooting for my waitlists too though!
i have 1 acceptance and 5 waitlists and no rejections from interviews. i'm also rooting for my waitlists too though!
i just recently got into a school! keep your heads up 🙂
i have 1 acceptance and 5 waitlists and no rejections from interviews. i'm also rooting for my waitlists too though!
Agreed keep your chin up! I was rejected/waitlisted from a bunch of lower LizzyM schools but got into mssm. its such a crapshoot
I got 4 waitlists and a rejection post interview before I got in somewhere. But trust me a wait list is not a death sentence! Send LOI's if the school likes them, send updates, but most of all just try to maintain your sanity. I got in to my top choice off the wait list. It can happenYeah, last year's thread is comforting. I will call on Monday since I got the mail after their office closed. I'm assuming I'm not in the top 1/3 since I'm surprised that I didn't get rejected. The interviewer suggested that I go to a different school...
Sigh, I can't stand the thought of waiting until the summer for a possibility of acceptance. I just want to be done already. 🙁
3 rejections and 1 waitlist
Plissss
Plissss
4II
3 WL, 1 R
how likely is it with 3 WL that i get pulled off 1?
3 WL, 1 R
how likely is it with 3 WL that i get pulled off 1?
3 ii
2 wl
1 ??
2 wl
1 ??
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
guys how sure is this 3 ii 1 acceptance rule?
does it include WL?
does it include WL?
guys how sure is this 3 ii 1 acceptance rule?
does it include WL?
A waitlist can result in an acceptance. As it gets closer to May, the waitlist can move a lot.
guys how sure is this 3 ii 1 acceptance rule?
does it include WL?
It's not a sure thing at all, it's just a rule of thumb.
Check this out to see how the waitlist moved at UW in a previous year. Specifically look at the WA/OOR column.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FYQUE&authkey=CPrT4MoP&hl=en&authkey=CPrT4MoP
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FYQUE&authkey=CPrT4MoP&hl=en&authkey=CPrT4MoP
Check this out to see how the waitlist moved at UW in a previous year. Specifically look at the WA/OOR column.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FYQUE&authkey=CPrT4MoP&hl=en&authkey=CPrT4MoP
Thats pretty cool, wish other schools had that.
Thats pretty cool, wish other schools had that.
It wasn't made by the school. It was made by the students that were on the alternate list two years ago.
We are making one for this year. So far only WY has accepted one student off the alternate list. In another month everywhere will be moving.
so by the end of the cycle 45 people had moved off of their WL?It wasn't made by the school. It was made by the students that were on the alternate list two years ago.
We are making one for this year. So far only WY has accepted one student off the alternate list. In another month everywhere will be moving.
so by the end of the cycle 45 people had moved off of their WL?
From WA and out of region applicants.
All total, 64 people came off the list and that was a top 10 school two years ago. So there is hope for everyone. If you made a waitlist, let alone multiple waitlists, there is still hope. Come May this thread will be a lot happier.
Did anyone else start feeling much worse in the waiting period between interview and decision than they did before the invitation ever came?
Yes, I think most everyone has that feeling, especially if it is a long wait.
Must whine.
This week has been awful. Three rejections, two were post interview. I'm apparently doing something wrong on interviews that I can't figure out. Another decision from my top choice coming this Wednesday, which I'm pretty sure is a another lovely post- interview rejection, and the school whose wait list I thought that I had a good chance to get off is apparently not looking so good. 🙁
This week has been awful. Three rejections, two were post interview. I'm apparently doing something wrong on interviews that I can't figure out. Another decision from my top choice coming this Wednesday, which I'm pretty sure is a another lovely post- interview rejection, and the school whose wait list I thought that I had a good chance to get off is apparently not looking so good. 🙁
Must whine.
This week has been awful. Three rejections, two were post interview. I'm apparently doing something wrong on interviews that I can't figure out. Another decision from my top choice coming this Wednesday, which I'm pretty sure is a another lovely post- interview rejection, and the school whose wait list I thought that I had a good chance to get off is apparently not looking so good. 🙁
I'm sorry to hear that silv! I haven't heard anything in over a month 🙁
Must whine.
This week has been awful. Three rejections, two were post interview. I'm apparently doing something wrong on interviews that I can't figure out. Another decision from my top choice coming this Wednesday, which I'm pretty sure is a another lovely post- interview rejection, and the school whose wait list I thought that I had a good chance to get off is apparently not looking so good. 🙁
Sorry to hear that. Looks like there are still plenty of decisions to be made based on your mdapps. Keep your head up, one of these will work out for you. Worst case, you go to an awesome school in Chitown!
Thanks guy. I know I really have no right to complain; CCOM is a great school. But that rejection coming from VTC is going to be tough to endure.
Yep waiting on that VTC decision as well. I don't believe VTC rejects post interview, so it will likely be another endless 2+ months waiting worst case. Keep your spirits up, good news could very well come this week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I want the cycle to be over so I can figure what I'm doing for next year.
It's not fun hearing the phone beep every time a new e-mail comes in and holding my breath each time until I realize that it's spam or some other comparatively unimportant e-mail. I'm not feeling confident about my chances at outstanding schools so I'm unsure why I'm nervous. Maybe it's more of a general sick feeling in my stomach than nervousness.
It's not fun hearing the phone beep every time a new e-mail comes in and holding my breath each time until I realize that it's spam or some other comparatively unimportant e-mail. I'm not feeling confident about my chances at outstanding schools so I'm unsure why I'm nervous. Maybe it's more of a general sick feeling in my stomach than nervousness.

Last edited:
I just passed 6 months post-interview at my state school (MA). Pretty sure I will be hearing back in April, but is still very frustrating to have to wait so long.
i'm so bored of waiting 🙁.. please just end this craziness !!! at least one acceptance just so i can relax would be nice.. :/
4 wait lists and still waiting to hear back from 2 schools. 3.65 32R, this waiting game is rough 🙁
How long should i wait between sending letters for the Waitlist? 15 days? 30 days?
20 days?
Had 6 interviews. I've been waitlisted/deferred/we'll see to 5 of them. The sixth, my in-state school, has straight up rejected me. I have a 36R and a 3.8 sci 3.85 c GPA. Graduated recently with biochemistry degree and business degree. 3 years research experience no pubs, but I tried. Decent volunteering experence including 1+ year at the hospital. Loads of leadership exp through clubs/fraternity. Starting to feel like I'm screwed. I don't feel like the interviews went bad, some of them could have been better but I have no idea what really went wrong. Some seemed to go great! Sent some updates in and a LOI to my top school a month ago, still nothing...
How long should i wait between sending letters for the Waitlist? 15 days? 30 days?
20 days?
You mean sending letters before or after you've been waitlisted? I'm still waiting on a school for a decision on waitlist or rejection and they said not to send any post-interview communication except for grade updates, but I bet schools have a million different policies on it.
I just passed 6 months post-interview at my state school (MA). Pretty sure I will be hearing back in April, but is still very frustrating to have to wait so long.
It took five months to hear back from my state school. It was agonizing. I really feel for you. Best of luck.
Had 6 interviews. I've been waitlisted/deferred/we'll see to 5 of them...
5 waitlists are pretty promising. I know a decent amount of people that got in off the waitlist for their only acceptance. I'm sure you'll hear good news by May 15th 👍.
5 waitlists are pretty promising. I know a decent amount of people that got in off the waitlist for their only acceptance. I'm sure you'll hear good news by May 15th 👍.
I really hope this is true.

How long should i wait between sending letters for the Waitlist? 15 days? 30 days?
20 days?
I would do it straight away. They take time to process things, and you want to make sure the letter is there the next time someone takes a look at your file.
I actually was meaning like after my first post-waitlist, how long should i wait to send the second? and then thereafter the third?
I sent 2 LOI's to Pitt after I was wait listed. One the day of my wait list, one 3 weeks later. But I think it really depends on the school. I remember Jefferson told me to send an email every 2-3 weeks to keep expressing interest. Just make sure each letter has some sort of update or additional reason you wish to attend the school. Dont say the same thing over and over.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I love how this has now turned into the wait list thread....its terrible right? May 15th seems like an eternity away...
I love how this has now turned into the wait list thread....its terrible right? May 15th seems like an eternity away...
The sad part is that there will be more waiting after May 15th.
I sent 2 LOI's to Pitt after I was wait listed. One the day of my wait list, one 3 weeks later. But I think it really depends on the school. I remember Jefferson told me to send an email every 2-3 weeks to keep expressing interest. Just make sure each letter has some sort of update or additional reason you wish to attend the school. Dont say the same thing over and over.
What if you don't really have anything to update other than more volunteering/research hours?
What if you don't really have anything to update other than more volunteering/research hours?
Something cool that you witnessed at volunteering? New protocols/ interesting leads your research has taken you? I just dont think saying the same thing over and over again is productive. I sent an initial LOI with 3 paragraph long reasons I liked the school. Then another letter with three totally different, but still good reasons. I also updated with fall grades and when I went to a conference. If you wanna read my LOI's PM me and you can see what I did.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 89
- Views
- 13K
- Replies
- 30
- Views
- 7K