2012-2013 Penn State Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
8.If not currently enrolled in a full-time academic program, please summate your activities from the time of graduation from your baccalaureate program through the time of this application, as well as your plans between now and your matriculation to medical school. (Maximum 50 words)

11.Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (Maximum 50 words)

12.Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)

13.Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 50 words)

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Getting pumped to start at Penn State this year, good luck to everyone applying!! Penn State rocks!! :D

If you don't mind me asking what were some things that drew you to Penn State?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't mind me asking what were some things that drew you to Penn State?

They have a great mentor system, great professors, students are all really close and tight, high prof:student ratio, nice and quiet, cheap cost of living, nice apartments close to campus, amazing gym, new childrens hospital/lvl 1 peds trauma center, amazing match list and board scores.

These all sound good to me
What is the curriculum like?

Anyone know if prompts for PSU change from year to year?

whats the OOS situation here? I see on the MSAR that about 10% got interviews, worth applying here with average numbers?

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to be hitting up Hershey Park after exams. Seems like it would be a great stress reliever... Either that or wallowing in a bar... >__>

I don't know about you guys, but I'm going to be hitting up Hershey Park after exams. Seems like it would be a great stress reliever... Either that or wallowing in a bar... >__>

I agree! As a woman, the chocolate will be pretty essential to my survival. :D :laugh:

Can anyone tell me about the secondary?

Last year's prompts:

Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (Maximum 50 words)
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)
Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 50 words)

... Yes and when it says 50 words it means 50 words haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year's prompts:

Explain the negative aspects of medicine that you considered in making this career decision. (Maximum 50 words)
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 50 words)
Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 50 words)

... Yes and when it says 50 words it means 50 words haha.

50 words!? That's even worse than the works/activities section on AMCAS

Hey All,

I'm an MS2 here at Penn State Hershey. I'd be happy to answer questions about the school, the people, the area, the interview...basically any question you may have about Penn State specifically. However, I will not answer questions regarding how to fill out YOUR applications; I am also not a resource for application advice/guidance. I will check this thread from time to time, but I will also respond to private messages.

Good luck and stay positive.

Last edited:
Hey All,

I'm an MS2 here at Penn State Hershey. I'd be happy to answer questions about the school, the people, the area, the interview...basically any question you may have about Penn State specifically. However, I will not answer questions regarding how to fill out YOUR applications; I am also not a resource for application advice/guidance. I will check this thread from time to time, but I will also respond to private messages.

Hi Shivakamini,

Do you mind telling us how many non-canadian international students there are in your class/on average? I know for a fact some schools claim they accept which means accepting 1 every few years. I hope penn state isn't one of those.

Thanks

So, in light of what's going on, do you think the Sandusky elephant is going to come up in admissions? Realistically, the school reputation is a little tarnished by this incident. Sure the med school is in Hershey and has nothing to do with football, but it's still Penn State nonetheless.

Thoughts?

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

So, in light of what's going on, do you think the Sandusky elephant is going to come up in admissions? Realistically, the school reputation is a little tarnished by this incident. Sure the med school is in Hershey and has nothing to do with football, but it's still Penn State nonetheless.

Thoughts?

I don't see it coming up unless the interviewee decides to address it. In that case, I still don't see the point. It's highly irrelevant to the medical school aside from the name.

I don't see it coming up unless the interviewee decides to address it. In that case, I still don't see the point. It's highly irrelevant to the medical school aside from the name.

True. I just thought it might be relevant enough to mention. You never know. Lol.

I did my undergraduate at PSU, so it might come up. If it does, I'd be delighted at such a softball question. You'd have to be a real ***** to screw that one up.

I took PSU off my AMCAS after I realized how awful their secondary was last year. That and Hershey is too far from civilization for me.

I took PSU off my AMCAS after I realized how awful their secondary was last year. That and Hershey is too far from civilization for me.

four 50 word essays = awful?

Hershey Park is right there! Lol. You can go hang out with all those middle schoolers!

hansen2.jpg

To any current medical students here: How do you like Hershey? Benefits & Downsides. Thanks!

Hi Shivakamini,

Do you mind telling us how many non-canadian international students there are in your class/on average? I know for a fact some schools claim they accept which means accepting 1 every few years. I hope penn state isn't one of those.

Thanks

Off the top of my head I think we have somewhere between 3-5 for the class of 2015.

To any current medical students here: How do you like Hershey? Benefits & Downsides. Thanks!

So here is the thing about Hershey: if you are from a bigger suburb/city (outside the state of Pennsylvania), it might be an adjustment for you. About half of our class grew up in small towns around the state so we are used to living in a smaller, rural-esque town. Rest assured though, Philly, DC and Baltimore are all within 1.5-2 hours away and most people have made some awesome trips to said cities on free weekends throughout the year.

Personally, Hershey is much nicer than the town I grew up in and I love it. Clean, wealthy and extremely safe. Cops are so bored, they'll write you a $20 ticket for yelling too loudly at night (alcohol may or may not have played a role, but that is beside the point). Some pretty cool concerts come through here during the summer and winter, which is nice. I personally like going to Hershey Bears hockey games as well. Hershey is a great place for the outdoorsmen and the runners/bikers. Troegs Brewery is a hot spot at least once a week for those of us who like real beer. There is also a decent outlet shopping center by Hershey Park.

I like that there isn't as many "distractions" because believe it or not, it helps you to focus on your studies when you need to. And when you don't need to focus on schoolwork, its easy to make a plan to go do something outside of Hershey.

Harrisburg is also a nice get away (sometimes) and cheap cab ride on off weekends. Bars down there get old and to be quite honest, its a dump of a "city". Not the safest either. Food options are a little scarce in the immediate Hershey area, but ask some of this years 2nd year class for some good foreign and domestic cuisine and they'll point you in the right direction (usually within a 20 min drive).

I think PSU is my top choice, at this point. I just hope I even get an interview with my stats.

No secondary here either. From what I heard from previous applicants, they were pretty quick on sending secondaries before.

Anybody receive a secondary yet?

I'm an entering student this year. I received the email with secondary prompts the last Friday of July last year, so you should be seeing it soon. Good luck!

Secondaries will begin to be sent out at the end of July/beginning of August.

anyone think the fines imposed on penn state and the decreased revenue that will result from the sanctions over the next few years will effect the med school's funding?

anyone think the fines imposed on penn state and the decreased revenue that will result from the sanctions over the next few years will effect the med school's funding?

I can't imagine much, if at all...

The med school isn't exactly affiliated with the football/undergrad program beyond shared moniker.

I can't imagine much, if at all...

The med school isn't exactly affiliated with the football/undergrad program beyond shared moniker.

I think the only possible problem that will come from this is just the overall negative connotation that the Penn State name might have with some people now.

hey that works for me. by the time we graduate there will be a new scandal somewhere else and hopefully that fact will deters some other apps this year!!! :)

Honestly, I think the biggest issue any of us have to deal with isn't the Sandusky issue, but rather the post-poned acceptances from last year issue. (A larger than anticipated number of students accepted last year, prompting Penn State to offer a raffle for a two-year scholarship for any students that opted to wait a year before starting med school.)

Honestly, I think the biggest issue any of us have to deal with isn't the Sandusky issue, but rather the post-poned acceptances from last year issue. (A larger than anticipated number of students accepted last year, prompting Penn State to offer a raffle for a two-year scholarship for any students that opted to wait a year before starting med school.)

as a traditional student..i would love that

as a traditional student..i would love that

Right?! A lot of us waitlisters were jealous last year! (It would have worked perfect for me because I had a 1-year grad program already lined up at Georgetown for this fall!)

are you kidding i would have LOVED to postpone. and im a nontrad! what's one more year off? and anyway $70,000 extra- thats a few yrs of working that you can knock off at the end too!

anyone know how many ppl ended up deferring?

EDIT: just looked at last year's thread. They estimated 10-15 students :/ Man thats a lot!

Last edited:
Hey All,

Love the username!:D

Goodluck this year guys. I'll be starting first year in just a bit so let me know if any of you have any questions.

MS1 here so I'm happy to answer any questions I can. As far as the deferment offer went, there's a lot of pros and cons (the money ultimately was about even (70k or whatever or missing 1 year of salary).

Anywho, anyone with questions, ill keep an eye on this thread and your welcome to pm me!

Status
Not open for further replies.