-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 UCSF Alternate List Thread
Started by shnechniak
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Checking in. Anyone know how receptive they are to updates from alternate listers (and when we might send them)?
I've heard there is (surprisingly) quite a bit of movement off the alternate list, but I'm not sure the odds. I sent in an update letter about a week ago to the admissions email (on the admissions webpage). I think they'll take update letters at any time.
Here's to a looong wait before our UCSF dreams are either realized or crushed 😱
Here's to a looong wait before our UCSF dreams are either realized or crushed 😱
I've heard there is (surprisingly) quite a bit of movement off the alternate list, but I'm not sure the odds. I sent in an update letter about a week ago to the admissions email (on the admissions webpage). I think they'll take update letters at any time.
Here's to a looong wait before our UCSF dreams are either realized or crushed 😱
8-10 more weeks? 🙂
Thanks for making this!
Ya no problem. I was actually looking for a thread
like this all along and finally decided to make one.
Also, I called the admissions office about a week ago and was told there's at
least 100 of us thus far. I also did the math from the US news and world report website.
It reported that about 500 were interviewed and 250 ultimately got accepted. And if it is true
that UCSF accepts a third, waitlists a third, and rejects a third, then that means 165 are initially accepted and 165 are waitlisted. That leaves 250-165= 85 spots left for us. That's a little over a 50% chance lol. There's hope guys! Guess we have to wait it out and see. But it's
nice meeting you all!
Congrats on your JMP acceptance Tots! That's just awesome. Would you take
the MD only program over JMP?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ya no problem. I was actually looking for a thread
like this all along and finally decided to make one.
Also, I called the admissions office about a week ago and was told there's at
least 100 of us thus far. I also did the math from the US news and world report website.
It reported that about 500 were interviewed and 250 ultimately got accepted. And if it is true
that UCSF accepts a third, waitlists a third, and rejects a third, then that means 165 are initially accepted and 165 are waitlisted. That leaves 250-165= 85 spots left for us. That's a little over a 50% chance lol. There's hope guys! Guess we have to wait it out and see. But it's
nice meeting you all!
could you do this math for vanderbilt? 🙂 😍
Congrats on your JMP acceptance Tots! That's just awesome. Would you take
the MD only program over JMP?
Honestly, I don't know. I have some reservations about the JMP program and since its a very unique program I feel like going in with some reservations is a very bad idea. 🙁
could you do this math for vanderbilt? 🙂 😍
Under Vanderbilt it says,
applied: 5647
interviewed: 986
accepted: 309
enrolled: 105
Honestly, I don't know. I have some reservations about the JMP program and since its a very unique program I feel like going in with some reservations is a very bad idea. 🙁
The JMP program sounds really interesting, especially if you're thinking about doing a dual degree. It would probably give you a very dynamic bay area experience...I didn't apply for that though because I don't know yet if I want to go for a dual degree.
Under Vanderbilt it says,
applied: 5647
interviewed: 986
accepted: 309
enrolled: 105
thank you!! 🙂
thank you!! 🙂
No problem!
Does anybody know whether or not ucsf accepts off the alternate list before May 15? I don't remember where but someone on sdn from this cycle said he/she knows 2 people who got in last year in April. I'm thinking that's rare though since previous threads show no signs of acceptances until May.
No problem!
Does anybody know whether or not ucsf accepts off the alternate list before May 15? I don't remember where but someone on sdn from this cycle said he/she knows 2 people who got in last year in April. I'm thinking that's rare though since previous threads show no signs of acceptances until May.
At my interview I thought a current student said he was accepted 2 weeks after he was placed on the alternate list. I don't know when this was, but it gave me some hope..
No problem!
Does anybody know whether or not ucsf accepts off the alternate list before May 15? I don't remember where but someone on sdn from this cycle said he/she knows 2 people who got in last year in April. I'm thinking that's rare though since previous threads show no signs of acceptances until May.
Yea that was me. Two friends got in for April. Both PhDs.
Yea that was me. Two friends got in for April. Both PhDs.
Oh nice! Would you happen to know when they were alternate listed?
Does anyone know if alternate listed people should do anything to apply for financial aid, other than submit FAFSA?
Does anyone know if alternate listed people should do anything to apply for financial aid, other than submit FAFSA?
Based on the letter we got in the mail, it seems like we can fill out the financial aid application on their website. I submitted my fafsa and css profile but I don't know if we necessarily need to submit our tax forms just yet.
Based on the letter we got in the mail, it seems like we can fill out the financial aid application on their website. I submitted my fafsa and css profile but I don't know if we necessarily need to submit our tax forms just yet.
Oh man, I never got anything in the mail!
Also, they seriously require the CSS profile? Not Need Access like all the other schools?
Oh man, I never got anything in the mail!
Also, they seriously require the CSS profile? Not Need Access like all the other schools?
Lol yup, don't know why but they want the CSS profile. And I'm sure you'll get that letter in the mail soon. I was alternate listed in the first wave and got the letter in february so I guess it takes some time.
Lol yup, don't know why but they want the CSS profile. And I'm sure you'll get that letter in the mail soon. I was alternate listed in the first wave and got the letter in february so I guess it takes some time.
😡 lol ok, thanks for the information! I was alternate listed in December, so I guess my letter is still to come.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So it looks like somebody who was alternate listed in January has already been accepted. I hope there are more acceptances to come before May from the alternate list!
Two people according to the thread!
So it looks like somebody who was alternate listed in January has already been accepted. I hope there are more acceptances to come before May from the alternate list!
Two people according to the thread!
Contemplating a LOI, other people writing one?
In case anyone else is thinking of writing one, here are some guidelines from the admissions office.
It should be an update letter, not really a LOI. Therefore, only send one if you're adding something that isn't currently on your application.
You should email it to the admissions office in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
Length should be a max of 1 page.
If you have done new research, include an abstract.
DON'T contact your interviewers until you've been accepted.
It should be an update letter, not really a LOI. Therefore, only send one if you're adding something that isn't currently on your application.
You should email it to the admissions office in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
Length should be a max of 1 page.
If you have done new research, include an abstract.
DON'T contact your interviewers until you've been accepted.
In case anyone else is thinking of writing one, here are some guidelines from the admissions office.
It should be an update letter, not really a LOI. Therefore, only send one if you're adding something that isn't currently on your application.
You should email it to the admissions office in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
Length should be a max of 1 page.
If you have done new research, include an abstract.
DON'T contact your interviewers until you've been accepted.
Thanks for the info!
bump.
Anyone else still waiting? I wonder when the next movement is.
I just got an email this morning letting me know I was accepted off the alternate list!
Congrats!I just got an email this morning letting me know I was accepted off the alternate list!
Congrats! Anyone have any idea approximately how many spots are left in the class? Still WLed and waiting anxiously haha.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 258K
