2012-2013 UCSF Alternate List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shnechniak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I thought it might be useful if there was a thread for alternate listed students at UCSF. Feel free to post here and let's get a discussion going :cool::cool::cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder how many of us there are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Checking in. Anyone know how receptive they are to updates from alternate listers (and when we might send them)?

Hi everyone! Anyone know what the odds are? I heard there's quite of bit of waitlist movement... :)

I've heard there is (surprisingly) quite a bit of movement off the alternate list, but I'm not sure the odds. I sent in an update letter about a week ago to the admissions email (on the admissions webpage). I think they'll take update letters at any time.

Here's to a looong wait before our UCSF dreams are either realized or crushed :eek:

I've heard there is (surprisingly) quite a bit of movement off the alternate list, but I'm not sure the odds. I sent in an update letter about a week ago to the admissions email (on the admissions webpage). I think they'll take update letters at any time.

Here's to a looong wait before our UCSF dreams are either realized or crushed :eek:

8-10 more weeks? :)

Thanks for making this!

Ya no problem. I was actually looking for a thread
like this all along and finally decided to make one.

Also, I called the admissions office about a week ago and was told there's at
least 100 of us thus far. I also did the math from the US news and world report website.
It reported that about 500 were interviewed and 250 ultimately got accepted. And if it is true
that UCSF accepts a third, waitlists a third, and rejects a third, then that means 165 are initially accepted and 165 are waitlisted. That leaves 250-165= 85 spots left for us. That's a little over a 50% chance lol. There's hope guys! Guess we have to wait it out and see. But it's
nice meeting you all!

Thanks for the info! This is my top choice school! I've been considering sending a letter of intent or update letter since december but have been hesitant of the timing to submit. what are ya'll doing?

I'm hoping with Mt Sinai and UCLA's newfound scholarship money will help them steal a few more would be UCSF students this year :)

I love the way the math works out on this thread! Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been considering sending a letter of intent or update letter since december but have been hesitant of the timing to submit.
2a6.jpg

Ya no problem. I was actually looking for a thread
like this all along and finally decided to make one.

Also, I called the admissions office about a week ago and was told there's at
least 100 of us thus far. I also did the math from the US news and world report website.
It reported that about 500 were interviewed and 250 ultimately got accepted. And if it is true
that UCSF accepts a third, waitlists a third, and rejects a third, then that means 165 are initially accepted and 165 are waitlisted. That leaves 250-165= 85 spots left for us. That's a little over a 50% chance lol. There's hope guys! Guess we have to wait it out and see. But it's
nice meeting you all!

could you do this math for vanderbilt? :) :love:

Congrats on your JMP acceptance Tots! That's just awesome. Would you take
the MD only program over JMP?

Honestly, I don't know. I have some reservations about the JMP program and since its a very unique program I feel like going in with some reservations is a very bad idea. :(

Honestly, I don't know. I have some reservations about the JMP program and since its a very unique program I feel like going in with some reservations is a very bad idea. :(

The JMP program sounds really interesting, especially if you're thinking about doing a dual degree. It would probably give you a very dynamic bay area experience...I didn't apply for that though because I don't know yet if I want to go for a dual degree.

thank you!! :)

No problem!

Does anybody know whether or not ucsf accepts off the alternate list before May 15? I don't remember where but someone on sdn from this cycle said he/she knows 2 people who got in last year in April. I'm thinking that's rare though since previous threads show no signs of acceptances until May.

No problem!

Does anybody know whether or not ucsf accepts off the alternate list before May 15? I don't remember where but someone on sdn from this cycle said he/she knows 2 people who got in last year in April. I'm thinking that's rare though since previous threads show no signs of acceptances until May.

At my interview I thought a current student said he was accepted 2 weeks after he was placed on the alternate list. I don't know when this was, but it gave me some hope..

No problem!

Yea that was me. Two friends got in for April. Both PhDs.

Does anyone know if alternate listed people should do anything to apply for financial aid, other than submit FAFSA?

Does anyone know if alternate listed people should do anything to apply for financial aid, other than submit FAFSA?

Based on the letter we got in the mail, it seems like we can fill out the financial aid application on their website. I submitted my fafsa and css profile but I don't know if we necessarily need to submit our tax forms just yet.

Based on the letter we got in the mail, it seems like we can fill out the financial aid application on their website. I submitted my fafsa and css profile but I don't know if we necessarily need to submit our tax forms just yet.

Oh man, I never got anything in the mail!

Also, they seriously require the CSS profile? Not Need Access like all the other schools?

Oh man, I never got anything in the mail!

Also, they seriously require the CSS profile? Not Need Access like all the other schools?

Lol yup, don't know why but they want the CSS profile. And I'm sure you'll get that letter in the mail soon. I was alternate listed in the first wave and got the letter in february so I guess it takes some time.

Lol yup, don't know why but they want the CSS profile. And I'm sure you'll get that letter in the mail soon. I was alternate listed in the first wave and got the letter in february so I guess it takes some time.

:mad: lol ok, thanks for the information! I was alternate listed in December, so I guess my letter is still to come.

So it looks like somebody who was alternate listed in January has already been accepted. I hope there are more acceptances to come before May from the alternate list!

So it looks like somebody who was alternate listed in January has already been accepted. I hope there are more acceptances to come before May from the alternate list!

Two people according to the thread!

I'm definitely writing one. I feel like it could only help.

In case anyone else is thinking of writing one, here are some guidelines from the admissions office.

It should be an update letter, not really a LOI. Therefore, only send one if you're adding something that isn't currently on your application.
You should email it to the admissions office in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
Length should be a max of 1 page.
If you have done new research, include an abstract.
DON'T contact your interviewers until you've been accepted.

In case anyone else is thinking of writing one, here are some guidelines from the admissions office.

It should be an update letter, not really a LOI. Therefore, only send one if you're adding something that isn't currently on your application.
You should email it to the admissions office in the body of the email, not as an attachment.
Length should be a max of 1 page.
If you have done new research, include an abstract.
DON'T contact your interviewers until you've been accepted.

Thanks for the info!

I'm sure some of us will find out later this month. i'm getting nervous... good luck everyone!! :D

bump.

Anyone else still waiting? I wonder when the next movement is.

Congrats! Anyone have any idea approximately how many spots are left in the class? Still WLed and waiting anxiously haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.