2012 GPA and MCAT ranges

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prepod89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/CIB_2013_Update.pdf

Overall not to drastic of a change from last year's statistics.

EDIT: here are the averages, provided by k2k:

AZPOD
Science GPA: 3.35
Overall GPA: 3.45
MCAT: 24

CSPM
Science GPA: 3.12
Overall GPA: 3.28

WUCPM
Science GPA: 3.17
Overall GPA: 3.26
MCAT: 22

BUSPM
Science GPA: 3.06
Overall GPA: 3.21

SUCPM
Science GPA: 3.10

DMUCPM
Science GPA: 3.30
MCAT: 22.8

NYCPM
Science GPA: 3.25
Overall GPA: 3.35
DAT: 20

KSUCPM
Science GPA: 3.05
Overall GPA: 3.24

TUSPM
Science GPA: 3.15
Overall GPA: 3.30
MCAT: 23.15
DAT: 18.6

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I might as well do it then. Here are the averages from the document.

EDIT: Averages posted above.

Last edited:
I'm noticing that the updated pdf indicates that more of the schools accepted applicants with below 20 MAT scores. I wonder why this is the case.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm noticing that the updated pdf indicates that more of the schools accepted applicants with below 20 MAT scores. I wonder why this is the case.

My guess is that most students use podiatry as a back up plan. 3 DO schools opened last year and 1 more next year. Maybe there was a smaller pool of applicants because of the newer DO schools taking applicants with lower numbers that would have applied podiatry as a backup.

My guess is that most students use podiatry as a back up plan. 3 DO schools opened last year and 1 more next year. Maybe there was a smaller pool of applicants because of the newer DO schools taking applicants with lower numbers that would have applied podiatry as a backup.

What are these three D.O schools?

What are these three D.O schools?

Don't forget that current DO schools are expanding. Example would be ERIE which opened up new campuses in GA and Florida the last few years. That's 120-200 more spots open.

One word of advice: If you are choosing between a brand new DO program or any of the other DPM programs, pick the DPM program. New schools aren't accredited yet, and who knows what will happen while you are there. They might have to cut their first class in half to get better board scores, or completely shut their doors altogether while you are a student there. This leaves you out on the street with 2-3 years of medical school and nothing to show for it except 150k in debt.

One word of advice: If you are choosing between a brand new DO program or any of the other DPM programs, pick the DPM program. New schools aren't accredited yet, and who knows what will happen while you are there. They might have to cut their first class in half to get better board scores, or completely shut their doors altogether while you are a student there. This leaves you out on the street with 2-3 years of medical school and nothing to show for it except 150k in debt.

If a school closes other schools have to accept you essentially. It happened a couple of years ago. School lost its accreditation and everyone transferred out.

Members don't see this ad :)
The CPME only states: "The Council is concerned about the equitable treatment of students who may become disenfranchised due to the closing of a college of podiatric medicine. Other accredited colleges may elect to accept by transfer these disenfranchised students in order to enable the students to complete their degree requirements."

So If a school was to close down, it would be up to the other schools to pick up the students that are left out.

I also think Max is correct. I'm sure the AAMC and AACOM would do all that they could to help place these students at different schools, but it's not guaranteed. It still will be up to the schools

I also think Max is correct. I'm sure the AAMC and AACOM would do all that they could to help place these students at different schools, but it's not guaranteed. It still will be up to the schools

Well the students of SJB were all placed eventually so idk

If a school closes other schools have to accept you essentially. It happened a couple of years ago. School lost its accreditation and everyone transferred out.

I know you are talking about MD/DO schools but I happen to remember the California school losing accreditation in the 1990's and there was a bunch of student who didn't get a DPM degree. I believe they eventually shut down/ went bankrupt. The California School of Podiatric Medicine | Samuel Merritt University is the old school with a new affiliation and board.

I am trying to find my sources but am having trouble on my phone. I will edit later.

http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/pdfs/CIB_2013_Update.pdf

Overall not to drastic of a change from last year's statistics.

EDIT: here are the averages, provided by k2k:

AZPOD
Science GPA: 3.35

CSPM
Science GPA: 3.12

WUCPM
Science GPA: 3.17
Overall GPA: 3.26

BUSPM
Science GPA: 3.06
Overall GPA: 3.21

SUCPM
Science GPA: 3.10

DMUCPM
Science GPA: 3.30
MCAT: 22.8

NYCPM
Science GPA: 3.25
Overall GPA: 3.35
DAT: 20

KSUCPM
Science GPA: 3.05
Overall GPA: 3.24

TUSPM
Science GPA: 3.15
Overall GPA: 3.30
MCAT: 23.15
DAT: 18.6

I think the average MCAT is going up a little bit... The average seem to be 23 (just by looking), which is good pod school... They might catch up with DO within 10 years if DO schools keep opening at the fast rate they are each year.

For this cycle?

Yep... Apply asap if you are interested... People are predicting that their entrance class stats will be 3.3/3.2 and 23 mcat because of the controversies associated with the school... I heard they teach creationism in their undergrad, but I don't how true is that...

Yep... Apply asap if you are interested... People are predicting that their entrance class stats will be 3.3/3.2 and 23 mcat because of the controversies associated with the school... I heard they teach creationism in their undergrad, but I don't how true is that...

what do you mean by controversies? Wouldn't you think if they were under skepticism that less people would apply/wanna go there? Just my 2 cents though

what do you mean by controversies? Wouldn't you think if they were under skepticism that less people would apply/wanna go there? Just my 2 cents though

I have seen in the pre-DO forum many that wont entertain the idea of applying there... May be these people are lying.

Yes I was on the forum for Liberty. It looks like not many are applying and there is a huge argument on the thread. Kind of entertaining if you ask me