2012 Ranking of DS Based on GPA/DAT/Other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well if you read my post, you'd see I was talking about their BS/DDS combined program which in 2009 stated that an 18AA was needed ;). However over the years its was increased to an AA of 20.

You post was crystal clear. However, you muddied the water considerably by mixing the AA "requirement" and the BS/DDS program, which was not exactly the topic under consideration.

Hi Doc, what does the last set of columns mean? There was %interview, %accept etc....is that the percentage that accepted the interview if offered it? and the percentage accepted offer if given the letter? Thanks

The first column represents the percentage of in/out of state applicants that were interviewed; second column the percentage of in/out of state applicants that were accepted. A third column, which was added, represents the percentage success rate of those interviewed.

Members don't see this ad.

Are the GPAs on that sheet the calculated GPAs where an A+ is a 4.3?
Quite possibly since that is the scale AADSAS uses. Some schools may be recalculating the gpa to suit their preference.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Nice job, doc toothache!

Last edited:
For the gpa data reported in the ADEA guide, does anyone know if these values are cumulative gpa's (i.e. undergrad + grad), or does the data represent average undergrad gpa's only?

Hey Doc, any chance you might make some sort of analysis like this for the 2013 data? Thanks for all the hard work you put into these spreadsheets for no apparent personal gain.

Hey Doc, any chance you might make some sort of analysis like this for the 2013 data? Thanks for all the hard work you put into these spreadsheets for no apparent personal gain.

Yes, that would be extremely helpful, but at the same time it is time consuming.

is the average gpa/dat for students that were accepted or first-year students?

For the gpa data reported in the ADEA guide, does anyone know if these values are cumulative gpa's (i.e. undergrad + grad), or does the data represent average undergrad gpa's only?

bump, anyone know?

Only deans/directors of admission know for sure. However, if the reported GPA is to have any meaning, it would be a safe bet that it would represented undergrad only. For science GPA, the only true comparison would be using only BCP science courses. Otherwise, we run the risk of comparing enrolless with BCP amounting to roughly 30 credit hours with some with 120 credit hours of science- not exactly in the same league.

For science GPA, the only true comparison would be using only BCP science courses. Otherwise, we run the risk of comparing enrolless with BCP amounting to roughly 30 credit hours with some with 120 credit hours of science- not exactly in the same league.

I think if they used BCP science courses only, it would be labeled BCP GPA and not Science GPA (likewise if they only used prerequisites, I would think it would be labeled Prerequisite GPA), but then again that is only a guess and I certainly do not know anything for sure.

Thank you so much for this information DR. T!

I constantly hear about how difficult it is to get an interview at UoP, but that once you are invited for an interview your chances of acceptance are very high (I've heard this from people who have graduated there as well).

The former (How difficult it is to get an interview at UoP) is reflected in the "%interviewed" values of 15% in-state and 4% out-of-state.

However, I find the latter (Once you get an interview the chances are high that you will be accepted) a bit harder to accept with the "%accepted out of interviewed" for UoP reported as 55% in-state and 47% out-of-state. (While these numbers are high relative to schools that have %accepted out of interviewed in the teens, it's definitely not up there with schools that have >80% accepted out of interviewed.)

I am simply curious as to whether I'm missing something here (for UoP as well as other schools). If you have any thoughts on this, please share.

P.S. Thanks, doc toothache for your time putting the stats together.

I constantly hear about how difficult it is to get an interview at UoP, but that once you are invited for an interview your chances of acceptance are very high (I've heard this from people who have graduated there as well).The former (How difficult it is to get an interview at UoP) is reflected in the "%interviewed" values of 15% in-state and 4% out-of-state. However, I find the latter (Once you get an interview the chances are high that you will be accepted) a bit harder to accept with the "%accepted out of interviewed" for UoP reported as 55% in-state and 47% out-of-state. (While these numbers are high relative to schools that have %accepted out of interviewed in the teens, it's definitely not up there with schools that have >80% accepted out of interviewed.)I am simply curious as to whether I'm missing something here (for UoP as well as other schools). If you have any thoughts on this, please share.

This may be a case of trying to over analyze a statistic. Whether the percentage is high or low is really irrelevant since a number of factors will influence the number. For example, as the number of those "accepted" choose to pursue greener pastures elsewhere, the numbers become skewed.

This may be a case of trying to over analyze a statistic. Whether the percentage is high or low is really irrelevant since a number of factors will influence the number. For example, as the number of those "accepted" choose to pursue greener pastures elsewhere, the numbers become skewed.

Hi doc,

I think what you're saying would be the case for %matriculated out of interviewed.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the %accepted out of interviewed, being based on the raw number of applicants accepted (in excess to factor in accepted applicants choosing to attend elsewhere), shouldn't be affected based on whether an acceptee decides to go there or not. Basically, these are the numbers that would tell me, "If I'm invited for an interview at xxx, what are the chances that I am offered a seat," which is what I'm interested in.

Besides, to my understanding, UoP is one of the schools with the highest accepted-to-matriculated ratios, so I don't think it would make much of a difference even if those numbers were in fact %matriculated out of interviewed, instead of %accepted out of interviewed.

Still curious... any other thoughts?

Wow, 94% of in-state OSU interviewees accepted? You must have to blow the interview royally to not get in.