2013-2014 Drexel IMS Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontrad1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was just accepted into the Drexel IMS program and will probably attend here because of the cost which is less than many of the other smp programs.

If anyone else has been accepted and is looking for a roommate please let me know!

I am a non-traditional student, 26 years old and female. I am VERY serious about studying and doing well in this program so if you're in a similar position please message me.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm surprised by the inactivity of this thread. i expected a little more interest in the ims program but sdn is harsh!

edit: nevermind...i realize now...this is in nontrad forum whereas i figured it would be in the post bacc.

Interviewed last Friday, accepted today!

Surprisingly fast turnaround, the interview was really laid back.

Feel free to PM me,fellow IMSers!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey so I see you just had your interview and said it was laidback?

Did they ask any questions similar to the 2010-2011 IMS interviews? I have mine timorrow and am preparing tonight, am a slightly non-traditional student who has taken off a year in between. Trying to get prepared...

Hey, sorry for not getting to your post in time. I'm sure it went fine though!

I graduated with a 3.28 gpa and very low 2.4 science gpa, with retakes my science gpa went up to 3.0. I have plenty of research, volunteering, and ec's. MCAT is approaching and was just wondering if I have any chance of getting in to this program?

Hey so I see you just had your interview and said it was laidback?

Did they ask any questions similar to the 2010-2011 IMS interviews? I have mine timorrow and am preparing tonight, am a slightly non-traditional student who has taken off a year in between. Trying to get prepared...
I have my interview coming up... do you remember any of the questions they asked you? Trying to prepare. Thanks!

I have my interview coming up... do you remember any of the questions they asked you? Trying to prepare. Thanks!

I had my interview a few weeks ago and received my acceptance email three days ago. The phone interview was about 30 mins. They asked about strengths, weaknesses, why you want to be a doctor, what you would do if you couldn't become a physician, biggest issue in medicine, what you would do differently in your undergrad...typical interview questions. Hope this helps!

this is from my post on another thread, but I just thought it may be interesting and relevant for people who are reading this thread.

I just wanted to write some background information on pros and cons of this program. I was a recent graduate of the IMS program within the last 3 years, successfully completing it with over a 3.8 gpa. There are some great things about this program, but then there are some not so great things about this program, and I just wanted to write a full review of it. Just to be very clear, these are my opinions based on my observations.

Let’s start with the pros:
The program itself is a great idea. You get to take medical school classes, albeit through a projector, but you ARE indeed learning the material before you get into medical school, so by the time you go, you should be even better the second time around. Some may say this is a con, because it’s a waste of tuition money to learn things twice, but I would say it’s better to learn something twice, and knock it out of the park the second time when it really matters.

You’re also being compared to Drexel’s own medical school students. The way the grading scheme works is that if you get the median medical school score, you score a B in IMS. The A range is basically honors level if you were at Drexel med. In other words, if you get a straight 3.0 across the board, you were the average medical school at Drexel. Obviously you want to do better than that though, because they’re taking a couple classes that you’re not, such as anatomy (a real tough one) and genetics. But the great thing is that in theory, if you do extremely well in this program, you can say that you basically would be one of the top medical students at Drexel.

Lastly, some of the people are just phenomenal. Christy Streeper is one of the most dedicated people I know, and she puts a lot of effort into trying to get you in the best position to apply for medical school. I highly suggest getting to know her. Plus she’s always got candy in her office that you’re free to take.

And to the cons:
While the ideas are great, for some reason the actual results in my opinion are not that good. The people from my year who got interviews and acceptances at other schools besides Drexel are those who did well in the program, but ALSO came in with a pretty decent GPA already (like 3.6, 3.7ish). I had a decent GPA from an Ivy league school, I did not receive that many interviews despite doing phenomenally in the program. At Drexel, I was waitlisted with a >3.8 gpa, as was the valedictorian of our class. Eventually I received a rejection and had to reapply the next year, where I was not even extended an interview, perhaps because I did not do the MMS program. But I think it speaks volumes about a school if you can excel in a program supposedly built to funnel great students into the med school, and then not even be considered after you outperform the med school’s own students. I believe many of my classmates feel the same way after experiencing the same thing. Now I am in medical school, but I believe it is more due to my efforts before and after the IMS program than anything else.

To summarize, I think the program itself is a great idea, and I think it could potentially bring a lot of great students into Drexel’s medical school. It’s a great program if you want to get a sense of what the medical school curriculum is like, and if you can perform well in medical school. It’s also got some really friendly, helpful people. However, if you are only doing it because you think this will boost your chances at medical school by a significant amount, I would suggest a different program. Having applied three times, I saw very little change from my first application to my second application with 1 semester of grades, to my third application with a full year’s grades, and most of the schools I interviewed at were more interested in the activity I did after IMS, and a bit dismissive of my performance in the program.

Other notes for people interested in the program:
It is not that difficult to get a 3.0 across the board. Yes it will be challenging material. Yes you will need to work hard. But if you sit down and seriously put in the effort, don’t waste your time throughout the day, and keep in mind that this is a do-or-die situation (if you do well, you might get a shot at med school, if you do poorly it’s basically a nail in the coffin) then you will succeed. As I said, I had above a 3.8 GPA, and I still did my fair share of partying and going out, albeit mostly after tests.
The average day in the program varies student to student. I tried to go to every class, but knowing myself, that always starts out great but then fades. This is the case with most people, I feel like. Classes are usually packed in the beginning of the program, and then becomes like 10 people sitting in a huge class at the end. The trick is, if you DO decide not to go to class, you HAVE to keep up with the lectures. I skipped most classes, but mostly because I just didn’t feel like waking up and walking there. You can also watch the lectures at home at 1.5 or 2x speed. Much of the time I’d still wake up and watch the lectures the same day, or go to the library and do the work.

good luck everyone on the path to medical school! keep trying, you'll get there one day!

is there a facebook group for 2013-2014??

Wow that sounds awful... So did you get into med school?

Hi everyone!

I just signed a lease at the Victory Apartments (1011 Chestnut) and am looking for a roommate! It's two bed/one bath, completely furnished except for your bedroom linens. Rent is $1250 a month per person and move-in is August 1st. If you're interested, shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can chat!

See you all in a couple of weeks!