2013-2014 MD/PhD Rejection Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mynameistoolong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Such an honor to start this thread... +pity+

INSTRUCTIONS: DO NOT ERASE!
1) click quote on the most recent list (don't copy and paste!!!)
2) delete the quote messages on the top and bottom
3) add your user name, complete date, rejection date, any other pertinent info, and if needed, the school (bold the school name)
4) click submit

Legend
C: Complete date
I: Interview date (if rejected post-interview)
R: Rejection date

University of Chicago (Pritzker) - mynameistoolong (C: 7/8, R: 7/25)

Members don't see this ad.

Your profile picture is hilarious. You'll end up somewhere good with that sense of humor.

Members don't see this ad :)
3) add your user name, complete date, rejection date, any other pertinent info, and if needed, the school (bold the school name)
4) click submit

Legend

Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP))

4) click submit

Legend

welcome :( finally someone joined me :oops:

4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12)

Didn't know this thread existed! Glad (not really) to join the party.

4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26)

You might win it but it is not because you do not have intellect, hard work and potential for a career of clinician scientist. You are applying against all odds as a very bright international student with a lot of talent at a time when the NIH sequestering is making dent in the research enterprise.

Agree with Fencer. Sequestration cut MSTP funding by 5%, and there is a very real possibility that there will be another 5% cut next year. Because programs guarantee funding for all students currently in training, the only way to absorb the cuts (unless a program has significant sources of non-federal money) will be to reduce the size of the entering class. I am afraid you will have a lot of company on this thread.

You might win it but it is not because you do not have intellect, hard work and potential for a career of clinician scientist. You are applying against all odds as a very bright international student with a lot of talent at a time when the NIH sequestering is making dent in the research enterprise.

Thanks for the kind words :oops:

Agree with Fencer. Sequestration cut MSTP funding by 5%, and there is a very real possibility that there will be another 5% cut next year. Because programs guarantee funding for all students currently in training, the only way to absorb the cuts (unless a program has significant sources of non-federal money) will be to reduce the size of the entering class. I am afraid you will have a lot of company on this thread.

I wish us all good luck then! :xf::xf::xf::luck::luck::luck:

4) click submit

Legend

Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP)
Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP)

4) click submit

Legend

Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP)
Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP)

Members don't see this ad :)
4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP)
Yale - SkiingMonkeyMan (C: Early July, R: 8/28)

4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/30, R: 8/28 MSTP)
Yale - SkiingMonkeyMan (C: Early July, R: 8/28)

4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP); dcol27 (C: 7/17, R: 8/26)
Yale - SkiingMonkeyMan (C: Early July, R: 8/28)[/QUOTE]

4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP); jumbo91 (C: 7/30, R: 8/28 MSTP); dcol27 (C: 7/17, R: 8/26)
Yale - SkiingMonkeyMan (C: Early July, R: 8/28); - plumazul (C: 7/11, R: 8/28);

Last edited:
4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/30, R: 8/28 MSTP), dcol27 (C: 7/17, R: 8/26), BigFatCat (C:8/1, R: 8/28 MSTP)
Yale - SkiingMonkeyMan (C: Early July, R: 8/28), plumazul (C: 7/11, R: 8/28)

Last edited:
4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12) , mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/30, R: 8/28 MSTP), dcol27 (C: 7/17, R: 8/26), BigFatCat (C:8/1, R: 8/28 MSTP)
Yale - SkiingMonkeyMan (C: Early July, R: 8/28), plumazul (C: 7/11, R: 8/28), Member011 (C:7/31, R: 8/28)

You might win it but it is not because you do not have intellect, hard work and potential for a career of clinician scientist. You are applying against all odds as a very bright ________ student with a lot of talent at a time when the NIH sequestering is making dent in the research enterprise.

So...much....kindness. Mind if I steal this quote and post it periodically to keep this thread a little less depressing?

4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12), zippyziggy (C: 7/6, R: 8/23), mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/30, R: 8/28 MSTP), dcol27 (C: 7/17, R: 8/26), BigFatCat (C:8/1, R: 8/28 MSTP)
University of Rochester - zippyziggy (C: 7/20, R: 8/23)
University of Wisconsin - zippyziggy (C: 7/11, R: 8/27)
Yale - SkiingMonkeyMan (C: Early July, R: 8/28), plumazul (C: 7/11, R: 8/28), Member011 (C:7/31, R: 8/28)

May I ask: why are people already being rejected this early in the application process? I thought interview offers/rejections came out starting September?

Last edited:
May I ask: why are people already being rejected this early in the application process? I thought interview offers/rejections came out starting September?

Schools are different; some have started, others haven't. IIs have been going out since July at some schools (UChicago, WashU, Pitt, and a bunch of UTs), and more have been sending out IIs each week. I've got 3 right now which, if the II thread is any indication, is on the low side (although I was complete at most schools in August and most people in that thread appear to have been complete in July). Once IIs go out, so do rejections.

Programs view it as a coup de grace. They do not want to give individuals false hope once a decision has been made to not interview an applicant. It allows the applicant to move on and focus on other programs. It may seem rushed if you are on the receiving end of a rejection letter, but after reviewing thousands of applications, over the years a program director can usually tell after 10 minutes of reading an application & recommendation letters that an applicant is not a good fit for the program. That cuts the pool of interview candidates in half; the director then spends more time with the remaining applicants (often splitting hairs) to determine which ones will be interviewed.

Programs view it as a coup de grace. They do not want to give individuals false hope once a decision has been made to not interview an applicant. It allows the applicant to move on and focus on other programs. It may seem rushed if you are on the receiving end of a rejection letter, but after reviewing thousands of applications, over the years a program director can usually tell after 10 minutes of reading an application & recommendation letters that an applicant is not a good fit for the program. That cuts the pool of interview candidates in half; the director then spends more time with the remaining applicants (often splitting hairs) to determine which ones will be interviewed.

I'm trying to understand the inscrutable mind of the program director: what factors constitute "fit" for a certain program over another, other than research faculty in a proposed area of study?

I'm trying to understand the inscrutable mind of the program director: what factors constitute "fit" for a certain program over another, other than research faculty in a proposed area of study?

That's one aspect, so is the school's mission: are they looking to train people for their state, to be leaders in policy, to be leaders in academic administration, to be leaders in community outreach, to be leaders in biotech, etc? Is the school p/f and looking for people who don't show an overly competitive spirit? Is the school touchy-feely and wants everyone to love each other or do they like the lone crusader type a little more? There are a myriad of reasons to accept/reject someone that have nothing to do with their academic qualifications.

That's one aspect, so is the school's mission: are they looking to train people for their state, to be leaders in policy, to be leaders in academic administration, to be leaders in community outreach, to be leaders in biotech, etc? Is the school p/f and looking for people who don't show an overly competitive spirit? Is the school touchy-feely and wants everyone to love each other or do they like the lone crusader type a little more? There are a myriad of reasons to accept/reject someone that have nothing to do with their academic qualifications.

Maybe for MD programs, but not MD/PhDs, from what I can tell. Residency has no influence on admissions, and every single one of their mission statements is to train leaders in academic medicine (research, teaching, patient care). I'm also sure every school wants someone who can work well on a team, as well as individually. So, I'm at a loss.

4) click submit

Legend

Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12), zippyziggy (C: 7/6, R: 8/23), mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/30, R: 8/28 MSTP), dcol27 (C: 7/17, R: 8/26), BigFatCat (C:8/1, R: 8/28 MSTP)
Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP)

4) click submit

Legend

Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), mynameistoolong (C: 7/15, R: 9/3)

4) click submit

Legend

NYU - Member011 (C:8/11, R: 9/3 MSTP)
Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), mynameistoolong (C: 7/15, R: 9/3)

4) click submit

Legend

Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), mynameistoolong (C: 7/15, R: 9/3), jla1985 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP)

4) click submit

Legend

Johns Hopkins - BigFatCat (C: 8/21, R: 8/26)
Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), mynameistoolong (C: 7/15, R: 9/3), jla1985 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP)
Yale - SkiingMonkeyMan (C: Early July, R: 8/28), plumazul (C: 7/11, R: 8/28), Member011 (C:7/31, R: 8/28)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
4) click submit

Legend

Johns Hopkins - BigFatCat (C: 8/21, R: 7/26), zippyziggy (C: 7/23, R: 9/6 via post)

4) click submit

Legend

Case Western mooser0956 (C:7/29, R:8/27 MSTP)
Johns Hopkins - BigFatCat (C: 8/21, R: 7/26), zippyziggy (C: 7/23, R: 9/6 via post)

Maybe for MD programs, but not MD/PhDs, from what I can tell. Residency has no influence on admissions, and every single one of their mission statements is to train leaders in academic medicine (research, teaching, patient care). I'm also sure every school wants someone who can work well on a team, as well as individually. So, I'm at a loss.

Officially state residency can't be used but I grew up in New England and went to college in new england and schools in the mid west asked me why they should take me seriously since there was no indication I would move out there.

Multiple programs highlighted musicians and varsity athletes as being highly sought after. You can be a leader in research without wanting to be a leader in academia (e.g. a dean or chair). Some schools are actively trying to generate new biotech people. Research is critical and the most important factor but it and your academics are far from the whole equation. Most MSTP programs spend many more hours interviewing their candidates than MD programs do. Your personality and how much your interviewers like you is definitely part of the equation when you're investing so much time and money in someone and bringing them into an extremely small community (the biggest MSTP program has what, <30 people in a class? The vast majority are MUCH smaller.)

Also I can't believe I forgot gender and race - there's a dearth of women and people of color in MSTP. It's obviously low down on the list but eventually it becomes a factor.

Last edited:
At the risk of being "that guy", if you've applied to schools that have been sending out IIs to people who were complete after you and have heard nothing, even after weeks, is it safe to assume you got a silent rejection?

At the risk of being "that guy", if you've applied to schools that have been sending out IIs to people who were complete after you and have heard nothing, even after weeks, is it safe to assume you got a silent rejection?

I've seen it mentioned by faculty members posting here that the order of applicants they review doesn't always make sense, and isn't even always in their control. Moreover, if you're worried about not hearing from a school that's actively been rejecting people, then you're probably still under review, or whatever. There's not much we can do about it anyways, keep your head up man.

Partially true, but there is a substantial group of applicants that are placed on a waitlist for interview until later in the process. This year, with AMCAS taking up to 8 weeks for verification, this group is larger than in prior years.

4) click submit

Legend

University of Chicago (Pritzker) - mynameistoolong (C: 7/8, R: 7/25), cpi89 (C: 8/20, R: 9/3)

4) click submit

Legend

Albert Einstein Otsdarva (C: 7/30 R: 9/10 MSTP)
NYU - Member011 (C:8/11, R: 9/3 MSTP) Otsdarva (C: 7/19, R: 9/3 MSTP)
University of Chicago (Pritzker) - mynameistoolong (C: 7/8, R: 7/25), cpi89 (C: 8/20, R: 9/3)

4) click submit

Legend

Johns Hopkins - BigFatCat (C: 8/21, R: 8/26), zippyziggy (C: 7/23, R: 9/6 via post), NigelVermooth (C: 7/31, R: 8/26 - date on post letter)
University of California San Francisco - NigelVermooth (C: 7/18, R: 9/12)

Last edited:
Nope, Hopkins was through the mail, but UCSF provides a link to a PDF that explains their rejection.

4) click submit

Legend

Johns Hopkins - BigFatCat (C: 8/21, R: 8/26), zippyziggy (C: 7/23, R: 9/6 via post), NigelVermooth (C: 7/31, R: 8/26 - date on post letter), OCDOCDOCD (C: 8/13, R: 9/12 via post)
Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), mynameistoolong (C: 7/15, R: 9/3), jla1985 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), OCDOCDOCD (C: 8/23, R:9/16 MSTP)

4) click submit

Legend

Johns Hopkins - BigFatCat (C: 8/21, R: 8/26), zippyziggy (C: 7/23, R: 9/6 via post), NigelVermooth (C: 7/31, R: 8/26 - date on post letter), OCDOCDOCD (C: 8/13, R: 9/12 via post), Regeneration (C:8/15 R:9/14)
Stanford Regeneration (C:7/28 R: 9/17 MSTP)
Washington University - dcol27 (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 (MSTP)), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), mynameistoolong (C: 7/15, R: 9/3), jla1985 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), OCDOCDOCD (C: 8/23, R:9/16 MSTP)

4) click submit

Legend

Johns Hopkins - BigFatCat (C: 8/21, R: 8/26), zippyziggy (C: 7/23, R: 9/6 via post), NigelVermooth (C: 7/31, R: 8/26 - date on post letter), OCDOCDOCD (C: 8/13, R: 9/12 via post), Regeneration (C:8/15 R:9/14)
Stanford - Regeneration (C:7/28 R: 9/17 MSTP); jumbo91 (C: 8/2, R: 9/19 MSTP)

4) click submit

Legend

Stanford - Regeneration (C:7/28 R: 9/17 MSTP); jumbo91 (C: 8/2, R: 9/19 MSTP); Reckoner (C: 7/18, R: 9/19 MSTP)
Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12), zippyziggy (C: 7/6, R: 8/23), mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/30, R: 8/28 MSTP), Reckoner (C: 7/17, R: 8/26 MSTP), BigFatCat (C:8/1, R: 8/28 MSTP)
Washington University - Reckoner (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 MSTP), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), mynameistoolong (C: 7/15, R: 9/3), jla1985 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), OCDOCDOCD (C: 8/23, R:9/16 MSTP)

4) click submit

Legend

Stanford - Regeneration (C:7/28 R: 9/17 MSTP); jumbo91 (C: 8/2, R: 9/19 MSTP); Reckoner (C: 7/18, R: 9/19 MSTP) BigFatCat (C: 8/13, R: 9/19 MSTP)
Tri-I - TheShaker (C:July, R: 8/12), zippyziggy (C: 7/6, R: 8/23), mynameistoolong (C: 7/9, R: 8/26), Member 011 (C: 8/1, R: 8/26 MSTP), regeneration (C: July R: 8/26 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/30, R: 8/28 MSTP), Reckoner (C: 7/17, R: 8/26 MSTP), BigFatCat (C:8/1, R: 8/28 MSTP)
Washington University - Reckoner (C: 7/30, R: 8/23 MSTP), Member011 (C: ~7/31, R: 8/15 MSTP), jumbo91 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), mynameistoolong (C: 7/15, R: 9/3), jla1985 (C: 7/31, R: 9/3 MSTP), OCDOCDOCD (C: 8/23, R:9/16 MSTP)