2013 match thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

st2205

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here we go...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fingers tightly crossed for one and all...

We're only 5k views away from over taking Hitler (thanks OPD)! Come one people, we can't let Hitler win!

Seriously though...I like that one too :D

Hah. I'd seen the video before but this is the first time I read the comments and learned something new. Nice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so happy for my colleagues getting in to awesome programs!
I am also excited to be going to redacted
I only wish I'd known they were gonna call so I could have maintained sobriety a little longer.

Update:
I was so glad to have this community to help me through the matching process, and very happy to have the opportunity to share with my colleagues where I matched (yay us). However, in the interest maintaining some semblance of anonymity I have redacted where I matched- although it is found out easily enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so happy for my colleagues getting in to awesome programs!
I am also excited to be going to my first choice as well- Johns Hopkins.
I only wish I'd known they were gonna call so I could have maintained sobriety a little longer.

Congrats, purple rain! Perhaps I'll run into you :)

Congrats!

Thanks so much! Congrats on getting your first choice :D

Last edited:
Me too. But excellent training and a program
I did really really like.

Last edited:
#1 VCU

I didn't think it was possible to get #1 but I am quite happily surprised.

p.s. if you didn't get your #1, 2 etc please remember it is okay to be disappointed, upset, angry, confused, or just numb. especially when everyone else seems to have got their top choice, when you hear most everyone gets their top 3, or you feel guilty about how you feel cos others didn't match at all. you can tell yourself it was for the best and not really believe it, but you may well be right and not just know it yet. and if it really wasn't for the best, a number of people successfully transfer as a PGY-2. not ideal to go in thinking like that, but for some people the reality is the location just doesn't work etc. in the end you will be a psychiatrist and i increasingly believe that how good a psychiatrist you become is in spite of your training, not because of it.

Also, often times, people come to love the place they wind up liking it as much (or more) than their #1. The interview season is fraught with peril, and often people come out thinking their #1 is the place for them, then get there and realize its not quite as awesome as they thought it was.

Make the best of it. Your #2+ places are probably all awesome too.

p.s. if you didn't get your #1, 2 etc please remember it is okay to be disappointed, upset, angry, confused, or just numb. especially when everyone else seems to have got their top choice, when you hear most everyone gets their top 3, or you feel guilty about how you feel cos others didn't match at all. you can tell yourself it was for the best and not really believe it, but you may well be right and not just know it yet.

One of my best friends was crying for about a half hour when she got her #2. She got stuck at (very prestigious program in New York) instead of her #1 (very prestigious program in Boston). I know. Cry me a river!

congrats everyone!
I matched at my #4

It took me a while to let it sink in that not everyone matches at their #1 or #2 but overall I am extremely happy and I think I ended up where I needed to be!

Happy match day everyone!

Great attitude to have. :thumbup: Sometimes it's hard to get an accurate feel for the culture of a program from just one interview days, and it might actually be that the program that you're going to is a better fit for you than you realized.

Congratulations everyone.

It is nice to get you top choice, but most programs are more similar than different. Like med. school, the best students from so so schools beat the so so students from the best schools everytime. Focus on learning and absorbing. There is a very deep pool of non-famous high quality mentors out there. Most programs are very competent at producing high quality psychiatrists given the right substrait. Use radical acceptance to get past any geographic dissappointment and the rest will work out itself. I realize this may be a little invalidating for those who are dissappointed but it will be true if you keep up your end of the learning contract.

If you didn't match, don't give up. The only difference between you and everyone else is getting in. If you manage this, the race is potentially back to even. There are no bumps in the road. The bumps are the road.

Aww, this is so exciting (for this MS3) to read! And I see a few going to my home program, too! Congratulations, everyone!

Congratulations everyone.

It is nice to get you top choice, but most programs are more similar than different. Like med. school, the best students from so so schools beat the so so students from the best schools everytime. Focus on learning and absorbing. There is a very deep pool of non-famous high quality mentors out there. Most programs are very competent at producing high quality psychiatrists given the right substrait. Use radical acceptance to get past any geographic dissappointment and the rest will work out itself. I realize this may be a little invalidating for those who are dissappointed but it will be true if you keep up your end of the learning contract.

If you didn't match, don't give up. The only difference between you and everyone else is getting in. If you manage this, the race is potentially back to even. There are no bumps in the road. The bumps are the road.

Along these sentiments, I found this thread by NiteMagi to be very comforting during my ROL deliberations. It made me confident that whatever program I ended up in, I would be happy and succeed. I love his/her point that "your program is not YOU".

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=891985

congrats everyone!
I matched at my #4

It took me a while to let it sink in that not everyone matches at their #1 or #2 but overall I am extremely happy and I think I ended up where I needed to be!

Happy match day everyone!

Also on the bright side, we can still get our nails done together :)

congrats! think you made the right choice for you ;)

Thanks man. They didn't initially invite me for an interview, and your experience is what pushed me to email them and explain why I think that they might have previously missed my name. They didn't initially reply, so I sent a follow-up... and a week later, they were nice enough to send me an invitation. There were only two dates left, so I cancelled another interview to go there. And just like you, I ended up ranking them #1 (they were #3 on my pre-interview rank list, but they did a great job of seducing me) and subsequently matching there. I know that you try to help a lot of people around here, but I thought you might like to know that you may have had a pretty substantial influence on my Match result. I guess they might have invited me anyway, but it seemed unlikely, since it was pretty late in the season that I got the invitation.

splik said:
how good a psychiatrist you become is in spite of your training, not because of it.
Ha... great advice. Thanks again, broseph.

Here we go...
does anyone know where to find psychiatry match data statistics? Like information in accepted applicants, their stats, open spots ect.

does anyone know where to find psychiatry match data statistics? Like information in accepted applicants, their stats, open spots ect.

That level of detail would be in Charting Outcomes in the Match. NRMP didn't produce one in 2012, so the last one available is 2011. Hopefully, they'll make one in 2013.

Here's where you can find that kind of data:
http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

Congrats to all those who matched, and best of luck in your residencies!

On a side note, is the list of programs that didnt fill prior to SOAP available yet? There are always a few shockers on there, and Im curious who it was this year.

Along these sentiments, I found this thread by NiteMagi to be very comforting during my ROL deliberations. It made me confident that whatever program I ended up in, I would be happy and succeed. I love his/her point that "your program is not YOU".

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=891985

I think for many people geography is most important, and most importantly within that closeness to family, whether ones wife/husband has to relocate, where one's parents live, where a fiance trains or lives, etc.....

I would not have been happy away from fiance for last several years, and probably that relationship would have ended. So that for me took priority over eveything else in terms of rank list.

Aw gee Visty, you really know how to make a gal feel special. You should get that on a card with flowers. :laugh:

But you're right, I did not appreciate how much the family factor played in to my decision until I was making it.

well i just wasn't interested in a long distance relationship...that's just the way I felt. there are enough great matches out there that I would have simply picked one I can see regularly.

I would not have been happy away from fiance for last several years, and probably that relationship would have ended. So that for me took priority over eveything else in terms of rank list.
Good call. Happy wife = happy life. At the end of the day, it's just residency.

:confused:Are you talking about your program, or the love of your life here????

well in this case my fiance...I'm not one of these people who believe there is only one person out there I would be happy with. There are unquestionably thousands of such people out there....if I wouldn't have been able to match at the hospital my gf(at the time) was training at, I'm sure I would have gone off somewhere else and found someone I was happy with.

I'm disappointed by the level of activity in this thread. I want to see where everybody else ended up!

I'm disappointed by the level of activity in this thread. I want to see where everybody else ended up!

I can understand not wanting to completely out yourself though.

I'll extend the same offer I made for reviews- if anyone wants to send me where they matched I will post it anonymously. But I can see there might be less appeal than the interview reviews.

Also, If anyone has any more reviews they want to post anonymously, I am still working on that as well.

Got my #2 - Northwestern! (probably should've been my #1 in retrospect; glad the PDs picked up on that even before I did).
So psyched to be a psych. Can hardly believe I actually got what I wanted. How often in life does that actually happen?

Matched at West Virginia University and I am SO STOKED! :)

UCLA!, #2, incredibly happy. I thought about moving them to #1 after I had certified but before it was final, so I guess it worked out anyway.

^^^
(The match thread is an excellent resource to see cognitive reframing in action)