2014-15 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

runfastnow

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to go ahead and get the interview cycle thread going for PM&R considering ERAS (was supposed to) opened today. Here's to hoping we have a healthy thread with lots of good info to help everyone along the way. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I wanted to go ahead and get the interview cycle thread going for PM&R considering ERAS (was supposed to) opened today. Here's to hoping we have a healthy thread with lots of good info to help everyone along the way. Good luck everyone!

Since nobody else wants to post...I will. Yeah...ERAS victimized me yesterday...so I am going to give it my best today with my time alloted. :)

I will be very happy to share my PM&R application process with people when it is all said and down. I am a bit of an untraditional student...military guy who has been on a Flight Surgeon tour for the past 2 years. I am also a guy who didn't take the USMLE (thinking that I would never need it in the military...boy I was wrong, in hindsight). So I am casting a wide net. There is no doubt that there will be programs out there that love me...and others that won't give me a chance. I will keep you all updated. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was somehow able to apply to all (40+) of my selected programs yesterday even with ERAS acting up. As of this morning, it looks like a few programs have already downloaded my information (LSU, Nassau, Alabama, Arkansas, etc.)

How do you know if they have downloaded your info already?

How do you know if they have downloaded your info already?

When looking at ADTS which is located at the top right corner of your screen on ERAS my applications are broken up into three categories (I submitted this AM around 9:15AM ET). I only applied to Advanced programs.

-Retrieved: Standford, UC Davis, UC Irvine, Colorado, Jackson Memorial, Emory, Loyola, Marianjoy, McGaw, Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Tufts, John Hopkins, Sinai, Michigan State, Michigan, Mayo, Minnesota, Missouri-Columbia, Washington Univ, Carolinas, Vidant, Rutgers, SUNY Stony Brook, Case Western, OSU, Toledo, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, UPMC, Baylor Dallas, Univ Texas Houston, Univ Texas Dallas, Univ Texas Austin, Univ Virginia, VCU, Univ Washington, Med College Wisconsin, Univ Wisconsin

-Not reviewed: Baylor Houston, National Rehab, Spaulding, VA Los Angeles

-Retrieved but not visible until Oct 1st: JFK, SUNY Upstate, Alabama

I don't think that retrieved means reviewed. If someone is further along in the process it would be nice to know.

So my understanding is that if you have a LOR uploaded after the programs have already downloaded the application, ive heard that you should email the programs to inform them that there was an update to the application.

Now if the Deans Letters dont go up again til Oct 1, one can assume that all those programs have to download the application again so they will get the new LOR, right? So no need to email them quite yet? Does that make sense?

I released a letter 3 hours after I applied and it went from "not yet retrieved" to a date and time at different times for different programs. I think some programs have things retrieved automatically and others somehow more manually. But you can tell when they've accessed it I think.

Also, I heard from a non-PM&R PD today that they are still having trouble with downloading apps on their side, fwiw.

So my understanding is that if you have a LOR uploaded after the programs have already downloaded the application, ive heard that you should email the programs to inform them that there was an update to the application.

Now if the Deans Letters dont go up again til Oct 1, one can assume that all those programs have to download the application again so they will get the new LOR, right? So no need to email them quite yet? Does that make sense?
I'm not sure about the Dean's Letter part, but you really should notify a program if you have uploaded a new LoR that wasn't included with the "original" ERAS app download. I had a friend (he matched successfully), who found out the hard way that programs won't necessarily recheck applications for updates. A simple email to the program coordinator should suffice.

I suppose interviews are starting to slowly go out. I just received an interview invite at LSU for Oct. 10 or Nov. 7, awaiting confirmation for a date.

Reactions: 1 user
I've heard from one program yesterday to schedule an interview, otherwise nothing else yet, good luck everyone

I submitted bright an early yesterday. Thus far, no rejections and no interviews. I'm looking forward to my first of either so that I can ensure my email filter isn't too strong. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I suppose interviews are starting to slowly go out. I just received an interview invite at LSU for Oct. 10 or Nov. 7, awaiting confirmation for a date.

I really like LSU's program. I would be applying there and likely ranking it high if I had the ability to apply to categorical programs this cycle.

Hey all, I'm going to be part of this cycle as well and am very excited to begin interviewing and meeting some fellow applicants! Bit about me: DO, took USMLE and COMLEX and did decent, decent LOR's, average grades, no red flags. I will try to contribute as much as I can since this was a very helpful resource for me throughout the years when learing about the process.

When looking at ADTS which is located at the top right corner of your screen on ERAS my applications are broken up into three categories (I submitted this AM around 9:15AM ET). I only applied to Advanced programs.

-Retrieved: Standford, UC Davis, UC Irvine, Colorado, Jackson Memorial, Emory, Loyola, Marianjoy, McGaw, Indiana, Kansas, Louisville, Tufts, John Hopkins, Sinai, Michigan State, Michigan, Mayo, Minnesota, Missouri-Columbia, Washington Univ, Carolinas, Vidant, Rutgers, SUNY Stony Brook, Case Western, OSU, Toledo, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, UPMC, Baylor Dallas, Univ Texas Houston, Univ Texas Dallas, Univ Texas Austin, Univ Virginia, VCU, Univ Washington, Med College Wisconsin, Univ Wisconsin

-Not reviewed: Baylor Houston, National Rehab, Spaulding, VA Los Angeles

-Retrieved but not visible until Oct 1st: JFK, SUNY Upstate, Alabama

I don't think that retrieved means reviewed. If someone is further along in the process it would be nice to know.

Just checked ADTS...all of my applied programs have been retrieved. Baylor Houston, National Rehab, Spaulding, and VA LA now fall under the "retrieved but not visible until Oct 1st" category.

Last edited:
Just got my invite for an interview at LSU. First one I have received so far. Pumped!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, this may be a stupid question, but how can you tell which programs have retrieved vs. not retrieved vs. retrieved by not visible. On ADTS I see timestamps for some programs that all seem very similar, not yet retrieved (self explanatory), and timestamps that are grayed out. I assuming that these correlate with retrieved, not retrieved, and retrieved but not visible but I'd like to be sure.

Wondering what the consensus is on LOR's? I am recieveing my final one this week. Should I email all the programs and let them know? Thanks for any help!

It won't say "retrieved". If everything has a timestamp...it is retrieved. On the other than, it will tell you "not retrieved" or "retrieved but not visible until Oct 1st". The color from what I understand means nothing.

So far, my buddy who is also applying to Advanced programs got denied an interview from Schwab, which they sent by email. It was one of the few advanced programs I didn't apply to.

So far three here have gotten LSU interviews.

I haven't received any interviews/denials yet.

Has anyone else had any denials/interviews?

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (4), Wayne State
Advanced- none

REJECTIONS:
Categorical- none
Advanced- Schwab (1)

ACCEPTED:
Categorical- none
Advanced- none

Last edited:
Hi all, new poster here. I wasn't one of the lucky ones who was able to submit on the 15th, but I got them in on the morning of the 16th. I got an invite from LSU yesterday, which was surprising and awesome since it's a program I'm really interested in! No rejections so far. Most of my applications have been retrieved except for a couple PMR programs and one or two prelims/TYs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
So far, my buddy who is also applying to Advanced programs got denied an interview from Schwab, which they sent by email. It was one of the few advanced programs I didn't apply to.

So far three here have gotten LSU interviews.

I haven't received any interviews/denials yet.

Has anyone else had any denials/interviews?

INTERVIEWS: LSU (3)
REJECTIONS: Schwab (1)

I got an interview offer at wayne state/RIM, no rejections as of now

God willing, if don't match to any of the advanced programs I will be applying to categorical programs next year (my military commitment is up 2016). I will definitely be hitting you guys up if you get into LSU. On paper I love the program. The program coordinator is really good...retired Navy Commander. I know that most of you are med students. I can't stress enough how important a good program coordinator is. Residency is stressful enough as it is...and a bad one can add a significant amount of extra stress.

Note to self: If you don't get your ERAS application submitted on day one next year...you will have no chance at LSU. :)

Interview at Sinai in Baltimore

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (4), Wayne State (1)
Advanced- Sinai (1)

REJECTIONS:
Categorical- none
Advanced- Schwab (1)

ACCEPTED:
Categorical- none
Advanced- none

Just got my very first interview invitation from THE University of Washington! Super stoked! (9/19 1:50 p.m.)

INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (1) University of Washington (1)

REJECTIONS:
Categorical- none
Advanced- Schwab (1)

ACCEPTED:
Categorical- none
Advanced- none

Reactions: 2 users
In the interest of privacy (though I doubt it matters) it may be smart to wait until after the process to list your stats/credentials...but I think that it would be incredibly helpful to future PM&R candidates if we listed our stats and credentials after match day. I anticipate doing so even if I don't match (God willing).

Interview at VCU

INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (1) University of Washington (1), VCU (1)

REJECTIONS:
Categorical- none
Advanced- Schwab (1)

ACCEPTED:
Categorical- none
Advanced- none

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UWash and North Shore
INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (1) University of Washington (2), VCU (1), North Shore (1)

REJECTIONS:
Categorical- none
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Temple
INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- SinaiBaltimore (1) University of Washington (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (1)

REJECTIONS:
Categorical- none
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Last edited:
LSU and U of Cincinatti rejections. I'm also a US-IMG though, so take that with a grain of salt if you're an AMG or DO.

LSU and U of Cincinatti rejections. I'm also a US-IMG though, so take that with a grain of salt if you're an AMG or DO.

Hey...anyone could list their invites! I appreciate you listing the rejections as well. I think that it identifies programs that are already active in the review process (LSU big time)...and when it is all said and done I think that it could help future PM&R applicants in their decisions on whether they are competitive for PM&R and where to apply. I was clueless, so I pan-applied. I could have wasted a good $900 in the process.

INTERVIEWS:
Advanced- Sinai (1), University of Washington (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (1)
REJECTIONS:
Categorical- LSU (1), Cinci (1)
Advanced- Schwab (1)

Hey guys, new handle. Applying in PM&R for 2015. I applied to 25 programs, all advanced + prelims local to where I am now. I got interviews so far at U of Washington and Temple. No other news yet. Good luck all!

Invite from Cincinnati today.

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (4), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1)
Advanced- Sinai (1), University of Washington (2), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (1)
REJECTIONS:
Categorical- LSU (1), Cinci (1)
Advanced- Schwab (1)

INTERVIEWS:
Categorical- LSU (4), Wayne State (1), Cincinnati (1)
Advanced- Sinai (1), University of Washington (3), VCU (1), North Shore (2), Temple/Moss (2), Detroit (1)
REJECTIONS:
Categorical- LSU (1), Cincinnati (1)
Advanced- Schwab (1)