2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Minneapolis VAHCS interview invite received on 11/25. Personal email invite for only one interview date on Jan. 2nd.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if anyone applied to the Southern Arizona Psychology Internship Center (SAPIC) in Tucson...this isn't an invite but an update. I got an email yesterday that they were "reviewing applications for completeness" and mine was missing something. They were very nice to let me send it to them without just immediately discarding my app. With that said, it sounds to me like they might send out invites/rejections in the coming days or early next week, in case anyone is waiting for them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else keep checking their email obsessively? I only have 1 invite so far and 0 rejections (although it looks like two of my sites send out invites last week, so I am not feeling too optimistic about those ones). I have so many more sites to hear from and was really hoping to have a few more invites before Thanksgiving. Hopefully they will start rolling in next week :heckyeah:

Reactions: 9 users
Rejection from Kennedy Krieger. Mass email. Overall rejection and doesn't seem to be based on track.

-Site name: Kennedy Krieger Institute

-Date notified: 11/25/14

-Invite or rejection: Rejection

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): No track indicated. I applied to Child and Family Therapy, Peds Consult, Neuro, Behavior Management.

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Mass email

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone else keep checking their email obsessively? I only have 1 invite so far and 0 rejections (although it looks like two of my sites send out invites last week, so I am not feeling too optimistic about those ones). I have so many more sites to hear from and was really hoping to have a few more invites before Thanksgiving. Hopefully they will start rolling in next week :heckyeah:

Oh it has definitely surpassed obsession at this point. I'm ready for this process to hurry up and end (positively for everyone). 2 invites. 0 rejections - but I know they are coming.

Received a personalized invitation this morning from North Shore-LIJ / Zucker Hillside Hospital Neuropsychology track. Interviews on 1/6, 1/9, and 1/15 (though the 1/6 interviews had already filled up by the time I responded 20 minutes later).

Also received a personalized invitation today from Minneapolis VAHCS Neuropsychology track. They have two dates, 1/2 and 1/5, but just assign you one without giving you a choice.

Does anyone have any experience with the LIJ Neuropsychology track interivew? I hear it is brutal...

Interview invite from UCSD/VA via personal phone call!

Positions 11-UCSD Psychiatry/VA Neuropsych
Position 3: VA TBI Cog Rehab/VA Neuropsych & La Jolla PTSD

Interviews offered: 1/15/, 1/16, 1/21

Does anyone have any experience with the LIJ Neuropsychology track interivew? I hear it is brutal...

A friend of mine is interning there now. PM me with any specific questions and I will forward them on to her. I know she is loving the experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
To anyone who received an interview at HENRY FORD HEALTH SCIENCES!!

I am looking for someone who may be willing to switch interview days with me. I am currently scheduled for January 9th and am hoping to switch to any of the other days. If you are willing, please let me know and I will be happy to rearrange the dates with Dr. Matero (she is fully onboard with switching).

Thank you!!!
Jessica

Man the KKI rejection hit me hard. I really wanted that one. I really thought I fit well there.

University of Delaware Counseling Center (no track)
Invite Received 11/25 via mass email
Interviews Dec 9 - Jan 20

Man the KKI rejection hit me hard. I really wanted that one. I really thought I fit well there.
I completely understand and fully empathize. However, onward and upward from here. It's not over yet and we just have to trust this process!

I completely understand and fully empathize. However, onward and upward from here. It's not over yet and we just have to trust this process!
I'm doing fine on interviews at this point (3 interviews, 3 rejections), but I didn't match last year. But I'm at that weird point where I know deadlines are coming in and I'm trying to keep myself from anxiously applying to like...ten extra sites with December 1st deadlines. ANXIETY LEVELS AT MAXIMUM.

I'm doing fine on interviews at this point (3 interviews, 3 rejections), but I didn't match last year. But I'm at that weird point where I know deadlines are coming in and I'm trying to keep myself from anxiously applying to like...ten extra sites with December 1st deadlines. ANXIETY LEVELS AT MAXIMUM.

I am completely having those thoughts too. I haven't heard back from any sites, so I keeping freaking out and thinking I should apply to more.

Reactions: 3 users
but wait, anxiety is fun! ;)

-Site name: St Louis VA

-Invite or rejection: Invitation

-Track (please specify even for general tracks): General

Invitation received 11/25!

Site: McLean Hospital
Method: Mass email
Dates: 12/5, 12/12, 12/19
Track: Adult/general

Reactions: 3 users
LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT PHASE II. It sucked. Worse than this.
Err....totally get where you're coming from, but can we stick to freaking out about Phase I for now? Doesn't seem helpful to catastrophize about a phase we haven't gotten to yet. And anxiety's not fun for me, anxietyisfun. ;)

SUNY Upstate Medical University
Adult Track
Invitation to Interview
Invite sent 11/24 via mass email
Interview dates:
Dec 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, Jan 5, 7, 9.

Sounds like you are doing pretty well on the interview front so far. I'm feeling kinda down and am definitely catastrophizing. 4 rejections and only 1 interview. :(

Sounds like you are doing pretty well on the interview front so far. I'm feeling kinda down and am definitely catastrophizing. 4 rejections and only 1 interview. :(
Things seem to be coming out faster than last year. Last year I had five interviews, but didn't get my first invitation until 12/12. There's PLENTY of time, and I'm sure you'll have bunches.

This is my second time around, and so far no interviews, BUT I also have about 15 sites who haven't notified anyone about anything (at least according to this thread). So, I'm going to focus on that and assume that, as far as I know, I'm going to have 15 interviews!

Reactions: 6 users
I'm doing well so far-received 3 invitations and 1 rejection. I do not want to complain at all, but I wish all the rejections and invitations would go out on the same day. Scheduling is a bit of a nightmare :roflcopter:

Good luck everyone :)

-Site name: Kennedy Krieger Institute
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Peds consult
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email

- Interview dates: 1/8, 1/21, 1/28

-Site name: McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): N/A
- Interview dates: 12/5, 12/12, 12/19

Site name - Kennedy Kreiger Institute/Johns Hopkins School of Medicine

-Date notified - 11/25

-Invite or rejection - Invite via mass email then follow up email with specific track invitations only.
(I did not receive an invitation from other tracks I applied to: Child/Family full yr; Peds Consult full yr; Peds Consult/Child-Family 6 month rotations; Peds Consult/Behavior Management 6 month rotations).

-Track (please specify even for general tracks) - Behavior Management

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) - mass email.

-Interview dates offered -
  • Tuesday, January 6th
  • Monday, January 12th
  • Wednesday, January 14th (afternoon only)
  • Tuesday, January 20th
  • Thursday, January 22nd (afternoon only)
  • Monday, January 26th

Also assume there are 4,000 people applying this year. Not EVERYONE is on this thread posting. Plenty of people are not looking it and getting more/less interviews than those posting. This game isn't even started yet. IT'S SO EARLY. Do not DARE start comparing yourself to what you see other individuals reporting.

Reactions: 4 users
Emory University - Neuro Track
Invitation by personalized email sent 11/25
interview dates 12/12, 1/9, 1/16, 1/23

Invites also went out for neuro tracks/emphases at Vanderbilt, VA St. Louis, and Minneapolis VA but I think those have all been covered in terms of dates, etc.

Happy Turkey day everyone!! I hope we can all turn the anxiety down and the fun up the rest of the week! :)

Would anyone living in a large city be interested in talking about offering a room in their home to visiting applicants in the interest of a pay-it-forward group reciprocation? I did this once for a girl visiting for a conference and greatly enjoyed meeting someone new and taking some of the burden of lodging off another student. Invites are going to come fast and most will have to plan lodging ASAP. (It may be you in this position, or soon enough.)

C
Received a rejection from University of Illinois, Chicago this afternoon. Adult track.

Well, got my first rejection out and I'm still standing! This is good. I know I am not along in this, and this is helpful :)

Me too. This was my second. I did tell myself last week that Chicago has awful weather! What was nice I could tell it was a rejection without having to read it (Dear Colleague... etc)

Would anyone living in a large city be interested in talking about offering a room in their home to visiting applicants in the interest of a pay-it-forward group reciprocation? I did this once for a girl visiting for a conference and greatly enjoyed meeting someone new and taking some of the burden of lodging off another student. Invites are going to come fast and most will have to plan lodging ASAP. (It may be you in this position, or soon enough.)
I live in Fort Lauderdale. I know there are a lot of sites around here, and I would be willing to house people. I have a guest room dying to be filled.

Primary Children's Hospital
Invitation for interview
Email received 11/25 (personalized with name)
Track: Adolescent Residential/UPPC
Interview dates: 1/9, 1/12, 1/13

Rejections (I think both of these have already been covered):
Rush Child track 11/24
UIC child track 11/25

-Site name: Primary Children's Hospital
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): PCCC
- Interview dates: 1/9, 1/12, 1/13

-Site name: Children's Hospital Colorado
-Invite or rejection: Rejection
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): N/A

Nice thread! Here's one I didn't see on your list:

-Site name: University of California, San Francisco
-Date notified: 11/20/14
-Track (please specify even for general tracks): Assessment Cluster
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email
- Interview dates: 12/12/14

VA-Vanderbilt Consortium, Adult Psychiatry Track
Notified via personal email
Dates: December 5th, December 8th, December 17th, and January 12th

They said these dates are supposed to coordinate with the other sites in the consortium if someone has interviews with another site.

Email rejection by Brigham Young University CAPS 11/25 :(. I was really hoping to get an interview here. Thought I was an ideal match. I guess not.

Stanford University CAPS (no track)
Invite Received 11/25 via personal email
Interviews (Skype or phone) 12/10, 12/11, 12/12, 12/16, 12/17
Open House 1/9/15

Kennedy Krieger Institute
Invite 11/25
I think someone else posted that it was a mass invite, then a track email - I was invited to interview for the ABA track (which also makes me eligible to rank PDD, apparently).. they said to rank preferred dates, but I just sent back one and got it.
Here are the options in case people haven't heard yet:
Monday, January 5th
Tuesday, January 13th
Friday, January 16th
Tuesday, January 27th

For whatever it's worth, a friend of mine interned at KKI last year and said that it was way over hyped. He was tremendously over worked (almost 60 families on his case load!) and their training is very hierarchical. I have several friends there now for externship (in various rotations) who say *very* similar things.