2014-2015 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone had any communication with them since interviews (3-4 weeks ago!) to get an idea of when they will let us know, more specifically? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Fordham said they would get back to us end of February early March. Has anyone had any communication with them since interviews (3-4 weeks ago!) to get an idea of when they will let us know, more specifically? Thanks!!

Not sure if you're asking for clinical or counseling.

In case it's for counseling, I received an email that said to check the website for application status earlier this week. And it looks like others who were accepted/rejected/waitlisted got the email at the same time, according to the grad cafe.

I was waitlisted.

Not sure if you're asking for clinical or counseling.

In case it's for counseling, I received an email that said to check the website for application status earlier this week. And it looks like others who were accepted/rejected/waitlisted got the email at the same time, according to the grad cafe.

I was waitlisted.

Ah. I was actually curious about clinical. But best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waiting to hear back from 2 programs. One program was just this past Friday, so I'm not too worried about that right now. The other, however, had their last interview weekend 2.5 weeks ago. 5 days following the interview, I received an email from my POI indicating that "admissions decisions will be communicated shortly." That was 2 weeks ago. I realize there is still plenty of time, but I have a few questions.

• This program extends offers via the Graduate School, according to what I've seen. To what extent can that cause delays (albeit considering the other issues below)?
  • To what extent can a POI being technically dubbed affiliated faculty affect admissions speed (i.e., is it reasonable to assume they attend to full-fledged faculty first)?
  • To what extent can a department having at least one new faculty hoping to admit more than one student affect the admissions process for other faculty members (FWIW, I am not worried about funding whatsoever with this POI, but just the order of the Graduate School's operations)?
  • To what extent can having a Master's, and therefore being much more flexible in terms of what assistantships or teaching assignments you can take, affect the process? In other words, would it be reasonable to assume they might attend to Master's applicants' offers after those of younger applicants because the latter can only be assigned to certain assistantships?
I think these are all good questions, but there is no standard answer for any of them. It all depends on the school. Each has its own inside politics, especially when funding is concerned. One of my professors has changed his mind 3 times since November about whether or not he is taking a student. I have heard of cases when professors say they are taking one but then give up the spot to give funding to someone else. So no one except who is currently in the program can likely give you good answers. It is debatable, but in my personal opinion, it is okay to follow up with the program after 2-3 weeks since interview asking about the status of your application. You could email a coordinator, DCT or even the professor. At one of my interviews, we were given the date when decisions were going to be made, and I emailed to inquire the day after that.

I think schools can do whatever they want. I wouldn't want to tell someone they were low on my list because that could make them lose interest, especially in a situation where they are considering multiple offers
I agree. Its a game to some extent, and most programs will want to keep you as an alternative and so will indicate that you are high on the list. So may actually have a list, and others may change it over time...

U of Houston (clinical) has started extending offers, I just got a call from my POI!

Reactions: 3 users
I asked my POI where I was on the wait list and he told me he doesn't disclose this...before I had asked him this, I spoke to the DCT regarding the same question and he said "blah blah these things are very complicated. but you are high" Do some schools actually have policies about not telling people where they are on the wait list? Or is this just my own personal hell?

I agree with others that schools do whatever they want. But also with some schools (like mine), there really isn't a list because it's so dynamic. There are multiple funding streams and faculty needs, so it might be like, "if applicant A for professor X declines, then we go to applicant B, but if applicant C for professor Y declines, then we go to applicant D" etc.

Hang in there, guys. If it helps, one of my acceptances was off a waitlist. It totally happens!

Definitely feels like dating. Wondering if you said the right thing/wore the right thing, waiting for them to call afterwards, analyzing any e-mails from them haha.
I've totally been calling this process E-Harmony with grad schools!

Reactions: 1 users
I've totally been calling this process E-Harmony with grad schools!

That makes sense, considering nobody seems to want me. Rejected from one program, haven't heard a peep from two others which I can only assume is bad mojo jojo. Let's form a cadre of folks who don't make it to interview: call it the deadbeats...

This process is excruciating and forces all my bad humor to the surface to bandage my emotional fears and insecurities.

That makes sense, considering nobody seems to want me. Rejected from one program, haven't heard a peep from two others which I can only assume is bad mojo jojo. Let's form a cadre of folks who don't make it to interview: call it the deadbeats...

This process is excruciating and forces all my bad humor to the surface to bandage my emotional fears and insecurities.
Thanks for the laugh!

Last edited:
Fordham said they would get back to us end of February early March. Has anyone had any communication with them since interviews (3-4 weeks ago!) to get an idea of when they will let us know, more specifically? Thanks!!

For the Clinical Psych PhD, right? (The program at its GSAS vs GSE)
If so, I emailed POI and he told me that interview requests went out in early February and they would make their decisions by the end of this week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear from City College or Drexel post interview? According to TGC some went out last week. I didn't ask when I might hear back but I'm thinking of giving it another week before I call and ask if I should officially move on with my life.

Anyone hear from City College or Drexel post interview? According to TGC some went out last week. I didn't ask when I might hear back but I'm thinking of giving it another week before I call and ask if I should officially move on with my life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My new favorite phrase to describe this process: we're all on this leaky boat together.

Reactions: 4 users
Called the Harvard psych department...they said to expect to hear back within the next few days.

Has anyone ever emailed your POI for feedback as to why you were rejected? If so, how did you phrase the email?

Has anyone ever emailed your POI for feedback as to why you were rejected? If so, how did you phrase the email?

I've never done it but my current mentor said its fine to do. I would phrase it like you would appreciate their feedback as a way to improve yourself as a candidate for the reapplication process in the future

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
So I received this very nice e-mail from the DCT at one of the programs I've been accepted to saying that if I had any questions I should feel free to contact her and that "being a fellow woman of color" she would be happy to answer any and all other types of questions not directly related to the program. While I think this is very nice and considerate of her, I'm international, but I'm not "a woman of color". What do you guys think, should I just say thanks and ignore the fact that I'm Caucasian? Or should I thank her and subtly tell her that although I'm international, I don't think I'll have any big concerns related to this? Or any other ideas?

So I received this very nice e-mail from the DCT at one of the programs I've been accepted to saying that if I had any questions I should feel free to contact her and that "being a fellow woman of color" she would be happy to answer any and all other types of questions not directly related to the program. While I think this is very nice and considerate of her, I'm international, but I'm not "a woman of color". What do you guys think, should I just say thanks and ignore the fact that I'm Caucasian? Or should I thank her and subtly tell her that although I'm international, I don't think I'll have any big concerns related to this? Or any other ideas?
Very interesting... I am also an international applicant (Caucasian), and I would be pretty baffled by this email. Although I can see how an experience of an international student can be similar to one of a minority population. I would probably just say "thank you" and leave it at that to avoid further misunderstandings.

Reactions: 3 users
Very interesting... I am also an international applicant (Caucasian), and I would be pretty baffled by this email. Although I can see how an experience of an international student can be similar to one of a minority population. I would probably just say "thank you" and leave it at that to avoid further misunderstandings.

I mean, if you want to get technical, white is a color too :)

I mean, if you want to get technical, white is a color too :)

....and I immediately thought you were referring to the white/blue dress debate. Then I realized you were responding to a racial-ethnic designation. :)

Hahaha It is exactly representative of my dating life.. a bunch of first dates but nobody willing to commit ;) Thanks for the laugh!

wow,I can relate to that. My two major life goals at this point are getting into grad school and a relationship, and both seem to be somewhat beyond my control...

My opinion might not be a popular one, but I think the content of the email was inappropriate. Her heart and motivation might be in the right place, but I think she crossed a professional boundary.

so one school interviewed me 2 weeks ago, and said they would let me know by the end of February. I haven't heard from them. Is it too early/bad to send an email asking for an update?

so one school interviewed me 2 weeks ago, and said they would let me know by the end of February. I haven't heard from them. Is it too early/bad to send an email asking for an update?

I tend to be on the conservative side with this but I wouldn't contact them yet. Things come up that could delay them a day or so. I would wait an extra week and then check in, but that's just me

Has anyone heard from the Yeshiva combined School-Clinical program post-interview?

Has anyone heard from the Yeshiva combined School-Clinical program post-interview?

No :/ I'm still waiting to hear back too!! They are done with interviews so I'm hoping to hear back this week.

The dating analogies are way too fitting! So torn between waiting & hoping versus initiating contact.

Interviewed at my top choice week before last. They said decisions would be made last week. Not a word so emailed POI Friday. Still nothing! What would be an appropriate waiting period before another email or call? I'm hoping it's a good sign (or at least better sign than a flat out rejection).

The dating analogies are way too fitting! So torn between waiting & hoping versus initiating contact.

Interviewed at my top choice week before last. They said decisions would be made last week. Not a word so emailed POI Friday. Still nothing! What would be an appropriate waiting period before another email or call? I'm hoping it's a good sign (or at least better sign than a flat out rejection).
I feel like even if it's a rejection they'd respond in a nice way.
Perhaps email the DCT instead? Assuming that's a different person. Best of luck!

Don't mean to crush your hopes, but in my experience, no news when there are supposed to be news (i.e. promised answer on a certain day, or saw acceptance posts on forums) typically means waitlist in the best case. But you are correct, its better than rejection, and people do get accepted off waitlists all the time. I would probably wait another week at least before contacting POI again. You could though contact graduate coordinator or a DCT.

Any word from Boston University post-interview? Assuming a rejection, and would like to hear sooner vs. later.

Whats the protocol when one professor offers you admission to work with their lab, but then another faculty also wants to interview you??? Thoughts please.

Whats the protocol when one professor offers you admission to work with their lab, but then another faculty also wants to interview you??? Thoughts please.
I wish I was as wanted as some of yall on here lol

that's probably a good sign. Maybe they collaborate a lot. I would assume they aren't going behind each others back with the interviews and admissions. Maybe they have a grant together you would work on, or they will split mentoring a students. Either way I wouldn't think about tooooooooo much, interview with anyone who wants to meet you haha. It's up to them to decide the logistics of who formally accepts you.

That happened at one of my schools. I said that I was flattered and would love to have the opportunity to meet with any faculty interested in working with me, and the POI who extended the offer was actually the professor that reached out to me after I submitted my application.

I think it's usually a good sign that they like your application, and want to make sure you have as many opportunities to 'fit' well with the program. The POI who extended the offer and I clicked instantly, and I could definitely see myself working well with his mentorship style.

Hi all,
If you are looking for postbacc RA positions, there is a new site available from the Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology. http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org.
You can subscribe to the feed and get job ads as they are posted.

Has anyone heard from St. John's School Psychology PsyD post-interview? They said they make decisions fast and I'm anxious because I haven't heard anything yet...

Anyone heard from Pace U's school clinical program? My app status still says "In Review".

Anyone heard from Pace U's school clinical program? My app status still says "In Review".

Mine does too. I called them end of last week, and they said that they are still reviewing apps -- who knows if thats positive or negative, but they said they do have later interviews.

Has anyone heard from City College of NY clinical psychology PhD?

Post-interview for the Clinical Health Psychology PhD at University of Colorado-Denver, I received an email on Monday from my POI requesting confirmation I was still interested in the program, and indicating that they (i.e., my POI's) still had to wait a few days for approval from the department to extend an offer.