2014-2015 Pediatrics interview impressions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidsdoc86

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seems to be time to get one of these started. This is the format from previous years.

Program Name
Structure:

Faculty:

Housestaff:

Program:

Facilities:

Misc:

In sum:
Pros:
Cons:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm excited to see this. Hoping to contribute some southeast coverage

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anonymous Review:

Program Name: All Children's Hospital/Johns Hopkins in St. Petersburg, FL
Structure:
-Supposedly "educationally driven" rather than service oriented, with a LEAD curriculum (sounds like this was a couple of weeks of formal education in leadership and teaching that is continued throughout the residency)
-This is a new program (first intern class started last year), so I think many things are in flux
-Other than the educational emphasis, most of the structure seemed similar to other programs
Faculty:
Some faculty have been pulled from Hopkins on a temporary basis, while others have been recruited permanently. Was generally impressed with faculty I met.
Housestaff:
Friendly, though one I met seemed frazzled and a bit unhappy (maybe just an off day for her?). I noticed that many were from FL or attended medical school there, which makes me think the program has a strong regional bias in applicants.
Program:
As I said above, the program director emphasized their commitment to resident education over service, which, as far as I can tell, means that residents are supposed to have patient caps and some protected time for formal education in teaching.
Facilities:
Beautiful children's hospital with a lot of art work, spacious rooms, nice call rooms and work areas.
Misc:
Seems to have a strong research support system available (statisticians, research advisors) available to those who want it.
In sum:
Pros: New program is both a pro and con- things are in flux, which means you could have input in shaping it. The faculty genuinely do seem invested in the residents
Cons: Regional bias for residents- also made me wonder about the strength of the house staff vs. other programs that pull from a national pool

Cons: Regional bias for residents- also made me wonder about the strength of the house staff vs. other programs that pull from a national pool

I suspect this is mostly because it's a new program. They were heavily recruiting last year, and while one of my classmates matched there, most of my classmates, including myself, did not apply, or if they did, ended up dropping the interview when they got enough interviews elsewhere. Doesn't much matter for this year's class, but in a few years when the program is more established and residents are getting jobs and fellowship placements, they'll have an easier time at recruiting (or not).

Hoping that now that the match is over, some additional members would be willing to share their experiences on the interview trail. It would be a great help for those of us planning on applying to peds programs next year.

Reactions: 1 users