2014 APPIC internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have a kind of narrow question here. I saw on the interview thread that Columbia Med/NY Pres sent invites to a "preliminary interview". I am just curious what this actually is-never heard of a "prelim interview". Is anyone familiar with this concept at Columbia or another site? Thanks in advance, u guys rock

I interviewed there last year. They only do multiple interviews for those that are local. I only had one interview, and they explained to me that they are more selective when offering interviews to those of us who are not in the NYC area. Tying this into another conversation in this thread, this came up during the interview because I had been encouraged by my school to ask DCTs if they notify applicants after the interview if they no longer plan to rank them. Also, in case this is a concern for anyone else, I am originally from outside of NYC, but my school is a couple hours away. So my assumption is that they base this on your school's location.

Members don't see this ad.

What an experience !
o_O
Well, at least I ma having a reflection process about my career LOL

Practicing mindfulness as my email remains empty. I wish I could hibernate until December 15th

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
They are back! :nod:

Reactions: 1 user
Sucks how Thanksgiving is so late this year, doesn't it?

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously, I got so excited because last year's thread indicated a lot of people heard back on like the 26-30th of November, but then I realized that would have been AFTER Thanksgiving last year. And then ABCT is later too so that delays it too I'm sure. Aghh.

Seriously, I got so excited because last year's thread indicated a lot of people heard back on like the 26-30th of November, but then I realized that would have been AFTER Thanksgiving last year. And then ABCT is later too so that delays it too I'm sure. Aghh.

Yeah, that's what I'm realizing, too. I'm trying to resign myself to the idea that I'll probably hear back from most of my sites in December. Ugh.

Another day of nothing in my inbox. Damn you internship sites and your power over my emotions +pissed+ I'm taking a break. No checking this site until after thanksgiving. Good luck to everyone.

Reactions: 1 users
Kings County/Adult Track Interview Invite. Personalized Email/Letter Attachment. December 10th Interview. (This site has been sending rolling invites for almost two weeks now---so it is a good example of the time lapse between different 'batches' of invites!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just realized that I forgot to put my rank order of interview dates in one of my cover letters - for a site that did specifically ask for a rank. Womp womp! Should I email the training director to say, hey here are my dates/sorry? Or just wait and see? FWIW the internship seems to be doing rolling interview dates / different tracks have been notified already, but I haven't seen anyone who applied to my track say they've heard...

Researchgirl,

If you decide to contact the DOT, make sure it's out of sincere and genuine interest (based on what you know from the program brochure & it's not one of your 'safety' sites, ya know?) because you will be drawing attention to yourself...whether that be good or bad remains to be seen. If it were me, I'd really have to weigh how badly I wanted that particular site (based one brochure & location); otherwise, I'd opt to wait & see, and leave well-enough alone. [BTW: Who preemptively asks for interview dates anyway?! Geez.]

Hello everyone. I am hoping for some advice. A site that I applied to more than a week ago has updated their website within the past day or so. I know because I check almost daily as I REALLY wanted to match at this site.

According to the changes on the website, my application is fried in the following ways: I do not have the preferred number of intervention hours (short by 87 hrs), I sent 4 LOR's and they stress that they want 3 ONLY, I did not send a psych eval or a case conceptualization and they want both. I have already paid my 65.00 to send this application. I cannot get a refund and I cannot change/add/or subtract items from this application to my knowledge.

What would you advise that I do?

Thank you in advance.

Well, it's kind of too late now, I guess just hope for the best! You never know, there are a lot of sites that state minimums but then interview people who don't meet them.

Edit: I saw the part about the supplemental materials... not sure then. You could email the TD, explain the situation, and ask if you can submit them via email. I'm sure you're not the only one this happened to with this site, I think that if they only requested those materials now there are a lot of people who won't have them.

Ok, will do! Thank you!

Edited to say: I sent the email and am now crossing my fingers.

Last edited:
yeah, to second that notion---I would Definitely email the DCT at the site. I actually didn't include anything under the APPI question 'describe your group therapy experience'. The application got sent out to ALL of my sites. One of the sites actually emailed me asking me to provide this information via email and also noted that I should probably email all of my sites with this info that was unintentionally left out. Much to my original panic, I searched out each DCT email at all of my 15 sites and emailed them all the missing info. I received many responses thanking me and explicitly saying they would print out the info and attach it to my application. The silver lining is that I have received two interviews thus far, so I don't think it was THAT big of a deal to them. I think this stuff happens more than we realize, and they really do understand.

Hello everyone. I am hoping for some advice. A site that I applied to more than a week ago has updated their website within the past day or so. I know because I check almost daily as I REALLY wanted to match at this site.

According to the changes on the website, my application is fried in the following ways: I do not have the preferred number of intervention hours (short by 87 hrs), I sent 4 LOR's and they stress that they want 3 ONLY, I did not send a psych eval or a case conceptualization and they want both. I have already paid my 65.00 to send this application. I cannot get a refund and I cannot change/add/or subtract items from this application to my knowledge.

What would you advise that I do?

Thank you in advance.

Oh my goodness, it didn't occur to me that my sites might change their requirements after I submitted at the beginning of the month... and some of them don't have deadlines for a while. One more thing to check, I guess! And I would agree with others to email the DCT - one hopes they will understand if they changed their requirements so late in the game.

For people interested in VA internships, see the attached PDF. The Southern Oregon VA in White City, OR recently got funding approved for 3 intern positions. The application deadline is November 27th. The site is not APA accredited yet, but they are pushing to have the site visit in 2014, so APA accreditation would apply for the first class of interns. Because it is a VA internship it would be recognized by other VAs across the country even if it does not receive the site visit next year.

Attachments

• SORCC Psychology Internship Program Brochure.pdf
    234.2 KB · Views: 76
Why are there no internships in Las Vegas? They have a VA, several hospitals, and a major university.

Why are there no internships in Las Vegas? They have a VA, several hospitals, and a major university.
I'm from Las Vegas and I always thought it was strange as well. The VAMC there is a brand new facility and I think they are in the early phases of getting accreditation from APA, but it's likely still a few years away. The closest facility is Reno and by closest I mean a few hundred miles north. Hopefully that will change soon, I would like to go back home one day.

There's a lot of factors that come into play. The leadership's attitudes toward psychology at that VA, availability of funding, the number of psychologists on staff, the availability of those psychologists to provide a good training experience that would meet APA's requirements. If all of those things line up then the likelihood of an internship is high.

There's a lot of factors that come into play. The leadership's attitudes toward psychology at that VA, availability of funding, the number of psychologists on staff, the availability of those psychologists to provide a good training experience that would meet APA's requirements. If all of those things line up then the likelihood of an internship is high.

Id say funding is the #1 factor. I have spoken to a few training directors who want to apply for APA funding but cannot afford to do so.

Id say funding is the #1 factor. I have spoken to a few training directors who want to apply for APA funding but cannot afford to do so.
I assume you mean they want to apply for accreditation? (APA does not fund internships, except for some incentive grants) For many training sites the cost of accreditation (fees plus staff time to write the extensive self-study and ongoing dues plus the required levels of stipends) is too high for local/public budgets. Large systems (universities, medical centers, VAs) have larger and more predictable budget streams and can afford accreditation. Many municipal/public settings just can't make accreditation affordable.

I assume you mean they want to apply for accreditation? (APA does not fund internships, except for some incentive grants) For many training sites the cost of accreditation (fees plus staff time to write the extensive self-study and ongoing dues plus the required levels of stipends) is too high for local/public budgets. Large systems (universities, medical centers, VAs) have larger and more predictable budget streams and can afford accreditation. Many municipal/public settings just can't make accreditation affordable.

Yes, I meant accreditation. I am well aware that APA does not fund internships. I spoke to a director from an APPIC accredited site and his rationale was, "why become APA accredited, when I get all my internship slots filled every year?" He said it was not worth the money or time. Are there incentives to becoming APA accredited vs. APPIC accredited? If not, seems like a lot of sites would rather spend whatever funds they have elsewhere, especially if they do not have the resources.

Yeah, that's what I'm realizing, too. I'm trying to resign myself to the idea that I'll probably hear back from most of my sites in December. Ugh.

CBTFTW, I remember you from last year's thread. Just wishing you good luck, and sending good vibes your way.

CBTFTW, I remember you from last year's thread. Just wishing you good luck, and sending good vibes your way.

Awww, thanks! I appreciate the good thoughts! It's not very much fun doing this again, but I'm hanging in there. :) I hope you're having a great internship year!

Yes, I meant accreditation. I am well aware that APA does not fund internships. I spoke to a director from an APPIC accredited site and his rationale was, "why become APA accredited, when I get all my internship slots filled every year?" He said it was not worth the money or time. Are there incentives to becoming APA accredited vs. APPIC accredited? If not, seems like a lot of sites would rather spend whatever funds they have elsewhere, especially if they do not have the resources.

Agree, and even moreso in California because public funding is low and sites can participate in CAPIC for much less money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, and even moreso in California because public funding is low and sites can participate in CAPIC for much less money.

Im currently at an APA site in California. It appears that my site does well financially. In terms of mental health, it also appears that California is way ahead of the curve compared to other states.

Im currently at an APA site in California. It appears that my site does well financially.

Glad your site is doing well! What kind of site is it? CMH, VA, etc?

In terms of mental health, it also appears that California is way ahead of the curve compared to other states.

In what respects?

This process is truly soul-crushing. I keep wondering how I will get an interview at program X if I cannot get an interview at program Y (Rejected program). Anyone else keep having this cognitive distortion?

Yes, definitely! I'm getting more pessimistic as the days go by ;)

This process is truly soul-crushing. I keep wondering how I will get an interview at program X if I cannot get an interview at program Y (Rejected program). Anyone else keep having this cognitive distortion?

Do not compare sites like that. I was rejected from an APA site, that on average, receives 70-90 applicants per year (last 3 years), but was offered interviews at sites that get 150+ applications.

You just never know.

Do not compare sites like that. I was rejected from an APA site, that on average, receives 70-90 applicants per year (last 3 years), but was offered interviews at sites that get 150+ applications.

You just never know.

This is so true. I got rejections from "safety" sites that seemed like a sure thing, and interviews at "reach" sites that were a total stretch. The reverse was true as well. It is very, very hard to predict how this whole process will turn out.

I keep stalking you all because I am thinking back to my year last year... hang in there! I had a HORRIBLE experience last year, got a ton of rejections, ended up matching to a VA in Phase II, and postdoc interviews are already going pretty well. Please keep in perspective that the rejections are not related to who you are as a person...

Reactions: 4 users
Last edited:
Thank you so much for the encouragement/ perspective. It's nice to hear someone with experience say that. To be fair, I DO still have a lot to hear from (1 interview, 2 rejections out of 17 sites), but I started to freak out today with the comparison. Hopefully I am just being dramatic.

Thank you so much for the encouragement/ perspective. It's nice to hear someone with experience say that. To be fair, I DO still have a lot to hear from (1 interview, 2 rejections out of 17 sites), but I started to freak out today with the comparison. Hopefully I am just being dramatic.

Not dramatic, even. Having a normal reaction to a seriously anxiety-inducing process. It makes total sense to freak out, even though there's no *real* reason to. Honestly, it's amazing how many students get through this process intact each year. ;)

Not dramatic, even. Having a normal reaction to a seriously anxiety-inducing process. It makes total sense to freak out, even though there's no *real* reason to. Honestly, it's amazing how many students get through this process intact each year. ;)

Also, it is possible to get a TON of rejections and still match by the time the process is all said and done. Even if you only get 2 interviews, focus on bringing your full SELF to them (aka, do a lot of self-care, stress relief, and preparation, so you're not walking in like a giant ball of anxiety!) and know that this can work out for you no matter how many interviews you get...

Last year, I had CATASTROPHIZED the idea of going to Phase II, yet the VA I matched to is a more enjoyable environment than the VA's I was interviewed at in Phase I. Sometimes, things work out even in times where they feel bleak.

Point is, worrying is normal and understandable, and it is advisable that you manage it with distress tolerance and self-compassion. You will all get through this, no matter what happens. (Then, we will all advocate for systems-level change, right?!)

Reactions: 3 users
Also, it is possible to get a TON of rejections and still match by the time the process is all said and done. Even if you only get 2 interviews, focus on bringing your full SELF to them (aka, do a lot of self-care, stress relief, and preparation, so you're not walking in like a giant ball of anxiety!) and know that this can work out for you no matter how many interviews you get...

Last year, I had CATASTROPHIZED the idea of going to Phase II, yet the VA I matched to is a more enjoyable environment than the VA's I was interviewed at in Phase I. Sometimes, things work out even in times where they feel bleak.

Point is, worrying is normal and understandable, and it is advisable that you manage it with distress tolerance and self-compassion. You will all get through this, no matter what happens. (Then, we will all advocate for systems-level change, right?!)

I second this. As much as it is an awful feeling to get a bunch of rejections at first, it really isn't the best indicator of how you'll do in the match. I ended up with 6 interviews (ranked 7 tracks total), but I got about 12 rejections in a row in a one week period before I got the majority of the invites. I ranged from being horrified to numb to joking about it, and then back to being horrified. I ended up matching to my first choice site (APA). The interview invites definitely softened the blow. Also, others will tell you too that you don't need a huge number of interviews to match, just the right ones.

I second this. As much as it is an awful feeling to get a bunch of rejections at first, it really isn't the best indicator of how you'll do in the match. I ended up with 6 interviews (ranked 7 tracks total), but I got about 12 rejections in a row in a one week period before I got the majority of the invites. I ranged from being horrified to numb to joking about it, and then back to being horrified. I ended up matching to my first choice site (APA). The interview invites definitely softened the blow. Also, others will tell you too that you don't need a huge number of interviews to match, just the right ones.

And I'll third this ! I cannot even begin to tell you the stress I was under last year. As each member of my cohort was celebrating their successes by piling up interview after interview, I was slinking around hoping no one would ask me how many interviews I had. 2...yeah 2...just 2. My greatest solace was someone in the cohort in front of mine who matched the previous year with only 1 interview. It only takes 1 is what she kept saying. So I held my head up and made the best of the interviews I did have, and matched. I felt like I had won the lottery.

This year as I read this forum I can also see the stress building in some. Just breathe. Take it all in, do the best you can do with the hand you've been dealt. Understand that a rejection isn't a rejection of you or your abilities or qualifications. A lot of qualified people will receive rejections, it's just how the system works. Also, just because you read that someone else got an interview and you haven't received one, don't assume you're out of the running. Some sites really do rolling invites, and you're not out til you get a rejection.

Reactions: 3 users
A student 2 years ahead of me received 1 interview, and 1 interview only (VA). He matched to that site.

You just never know.

Reactions: 5 users
Thank you all for the encouragement. It is so helpful to hear stories about successful outcomes. I totally underestimated how difficult this process was going to be. It really is amazing how much self-doubt this process induces.

I am still waiting to hear back from 12 sites (1 interview and 4 rejections so far :-/). But I am hopeful that I will get a few more interviews.

Neurocenni: I'm in a similar situation. I'm so glad we all have each other to talk to/ look to for support. All my friends/family keep saying "You'll get tons of interviews, don't worry!" I am not as sure as they are, but I am so grateful I can come to this board and feel like I'm not alone in this awful process.

Yeah, I only have one so far and everyone keeps telling me "But at least you have one!" Well yeah, I'm happy about that, but most people seem to get more than one.

Yeah, I only have one so far and everyone keeps telling me "But at least you have one!" Well yeah, I'm happy about that, but most people seem to get more than one.

It's not over yet, though! Lots of people still don't have any (one member of my cohort was surprised to hear people had interviews already), and one or 2 is a totally respectable number for this stage of the process.

I've got a lot of great supportive people in my life, but their confidence almost makes it worse. It's like, wonderful people do not match. My best friend didn't match 2 years running. Stop adding to my pressure!!