2014 Match Rank List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. Stanford Adv
2. Penn Adv
3. MGH Adv
4. Penn Cat
5. MGH Cat
6. Stanford Cat
7. Virginia Mason Adv
8. Virginia Mason Cat
9. Colorado Adv
10. Cornell
11. Colorado Cat
12. UCSF Adv
13. UCSD
14. JHU
15. UChicago Adv
16. UCSF Cat
17. UCI
18. Columbia
19. Cedars-Sinai
20. USC

DNR - OHSU, UCLA, UChicago Cat
You really have some ties to the East Coast, especially for intern year, don't you?

Members don't see this ad.

Cornell: Did an away at MSKCC, which is one of their rotations sites for ICU so I got to interact with the Anesthesia residents a lot. The general consensus here is that you work harder than some of the other programs nearby, and this was confirmed during my interview, months after my ICU rotation. I believe that leadership has internally changed over the last 2-3 years and I really like what they're doing with their curriculum--how cool is it to have your own Cornell Anesthesia app for your phone! Fellowship seemed strong from what I remember on the PPT. Cornell is strong in ICU, Pain and with HSS, regional as well. I just had a really pretentious feel during all my interviews with some of the old faculty asking my questions that were clearly shouldn't have. Location is also great but you will go bankrupt if you choose to live in their housing and attempt to live the city life, even on $60K or whatever they give.

I'm personally ranking Sinai over Cornell because I got a better vibe and really liked having a supportive administration.

Was just looking on Frieda, and it says Cornell's minimum step 1 for interview consideration is 235.
Is this for real? I didn't know anesthesia was this competitive!

Me: DO in the 230s/250s with virginia ties

1. GW
2. Rush
3. VCU
4. UAB
5. UT-houston
6. CCF
7. Indiana
8. Case Western - UH
9. Rutgers - RWJ
10. Allegheny/West Penn
11. St. Barnabas
12. Maine
13. UF-Jax

Thoughts about a few:

Rush - this program gets lots of **** on this forum but their fellowship match list was incredible. Huge names and about 90% of their class got a fellowship. Easily the best list I saw on the trail. They work hard, but I got the feeling that it would pay off in the end. My priorities were #1 fellowship placement, and #2 fun city. Rush nailed both of those.

UT-houston - a program that seems to be really moving in the right direction. Residents LOVED the new PD, and hes apparently made tons of positive changes to the program. The CA1s loved the direction things were going. Really strong program.

CCF - another program that gets lots of **** on here. I actually loved it, and their residents were easily the happiest out of all the programs I went to. I probably talked to 20-30 between dinner and lunch and EVERY SINGLE ONE was obsessed with the program. I think that since the overhaul of the program in the last few years (including the cut down to 20 residents) the program is becoming a phenomenal place to train. And you certainly can't argue about the name you get to put on your diploma. But, in the end, yes, cleveland does suck (awesome food scene though!).

GW - Since there isn't a ton of info on here about GW. Awesome PD, young guy that really seems to be on top of things. Most go into PP but their fellowship matches were very strong should you go down that path. Residents did seem to work hard, but enjoyed the program and enjoyed working in DC.

In the end, I liked everywhere I went other than UF-jax (that place is a mess). There really aren't that many duds in the anesthesia world, and I think you'd get a great training at just about any program you match to.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
DO 240s/250s with family in Philly and Boston
1) UPenn adv. then cat.
2) Hopkins adv. then cat
3) Duke adv. then cat
4) UPMC adv. then cat
5) Tufts
6) Jefferson
7) CCF
8 Main med
9) wake Forrest
10) Boston University
11) Baystate
12) UMASS
13) UCONN

You really have some ties to the East Coast, especially for intern year, don't you?

I'm actually from So Cal, have a sister in Philly. Kinda fell in love with a particular prelim, so I prioritized advanced programs where I could

Me: DO in the 230s/250s with virginia ties

UT-houston - a program that seems to be really moving in the right direction. Residents LOVED the new PD, and hes apparently made tons of positive changes to the program. The CA1s loved the direction things were going. Really strong program.

Seconded. UT-Houston was the biggest surprise for me on the interview trail. This program is a diamond-in-the-rough. Great access to cases and a young, motivated, pro-resident PD.

1. Cedars-Sinai
2. UCSD
3. NYU
4. Cornell
5. U of Chicago
6. Emory
7. Duke
8. Beth Israel
9. Mayo
10. Wash U
11. UIC
12. UNC

DNR: Temple

1. Hopkins
2. Ucsd
3. Miami
4. Georgetown
5. Musc
6. U of Chicago
7. GW
8. Usc
9. Slr
10. Vcu
11. Uic
12. Jefferson
13. Rush

Like this program a lot. Although, I ended up not ranking it highly because well…it seems like they work like dogs. They know this is really hurting them when it comes to who they can get. They tried to sweeten the pot by paying residents for every hour they work past 6pm. This is forced not voluntary. Some of the most red-eyed residents and worn out wives I saw on the trail were at the utah dinner.

Surprising. If their work hours are along the lines of 55-60 per week, maybe they play a lot in the mountains in their off time and miss some sleep for that reason. Seem like a happy bunch from my viewpoint. I guess they get residents who really want to work hard, learn from patients during their residency and play hard on their time off...