2014 written board exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliDreamin4Life

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if they are still testing old agents and drugs? I am looking over old practice exam and still see questions about enflurane, halothane, pentobarbital, thiopental, etc.....should I skip these questions or do we still have to know that stuff?

Also, is Big Blue even worth looking at anymore? Some people are saying that the board is refusing to test stuff in his guides? Is it still worth it to study off of?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

They didn't really test the old drugs in the 2013 exam that I remember. I can't give advice on Big Blue because I didn't use it. I used Faust, ACE, M5 and Hall intensely in the last 6 months of residency and I thought that combo worked nicely for me. I love questions though. It was always much easier for me to read a section of Faust or do questions then to read a larger textbook after working all day.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they are still testing old agents and drugs? I am looking over old practice exam and still see questions about enflurane, halothane, pentobarbital, thiopental, etc.....should I skip these questions or do we still have to know that stuff?

Also, is Big Blue even worth looking at anymore? Some people are saying that the board is refusing to test stuff in his guides? Is it still worth it to study off of?

Thanks.
You are unlikely to be asked specifically about antiquated medications but for a lot of those old questions you could replace halothane/enflurane with sevoflurane and thiopental with propofol without affecting the answer. I don't know much about Jensen but I'm sure much of it is still relevant as a lot of the testable material just isn't that different.