[2015-2016] EM Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are three great yet very different programs. It really comes down to what you value the most in residency, long-term career goals, personal fit, etc. Any specific insight/information that you're looking for?

lol not really... I kinda have a good grasp on both (based on the int day), I was just wondering if there was anyone who may have rotated/have a closer relationship w either program that has a more nuanced perspective than what I saw during my few hrs w each.

Honestly I dunno what I was looking for besides something that makes me feel better abt my decisions

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't seen many discussions about North Shore-Long Island Jewish program in New Hyde Park. Can someone please share their insights? I thought their shift hours were a bit heavy.. and I was told by the PD that conversion to a 3 year program will not happen this year. Is that the case for some of you who interviewed there?

Submitted via Google Forms

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location, education, residents, faculty. Given the sparsity of DO students posting, I figured I'd add my list since it doesn't include the "SDN norms" Denver, Cook, Vandy etc.

1) GW: I really liked DC. The residents here are awesome and highly motivated. They get great training here with a very diverse faculty. Only downsides are high cost of living and 4-yr program. I also heard that critical care can be weaker due to presence of fellows and lots of other residents being in the unit at the same time.

2) St Luke's Roosevelt: Residents here were very happy and I loved the program leadership. Manhattan would be an amazing place to live. Flexibility of program allows you to focus on your career interests, despite being a 3 year program. Con - critical care experience seems weak.

3) Christiana: Training here is top-notch. They see tons of sick patients with a good variety. Lack of other residency programs allow EM to do a lot. Great critical care experience, possibly the best out of any of the programs I interviewed. Negative is the location. I'm from Delaware originally and would prefer to commute from Philly.

4) Einstein (Philly): Very strong program. Sick population with high volume. I like Philly and would be happy here as well. Residents are worked hard on their EM months, but are highly proficient. They do all 12s until their 4th year. Cons - residents weren't the happiest, 4 year program with some off service time that seemed like a space-filler. I felt like the extra year was not beneficial.

5) NYMC Metropolitan: 3 hospital system that provides a diversity of training. PD here really stood out to me as highly energetic with a passion for EM, but spreads himself a bit thin with his many interests. I feel that training would be good here. Residents seemed like a close bunch. Cons - interview day was a very poor experience. Given other posts about interview day, I feel like they don't put much effort/planning in it. Hospitals are not that close to each other and traveling without a car seems difficult.

6) Drexel: solid program with great history. Probation and PD uncertainty moved this program lower on my list. I liked that they run the ICU and are well trained in critical care. Cons - Patient acuity in the ED seemed weaker. Probation/PD. Didn't gel as well with some of the residents in comparison to other programs.

7) Dartmouth: great faculty with happy residents. I like the academic potential of this program. I'm interested in health policy and see potential for becoming involved with that here. Program leadership seemed very strong and committed to maximizing training. While I consider myself a city guy, I enjoy the outdoors as well (hiking, kayaking etc). Negatives - lower patient volume. I got the feeling that training here and going to work in a inner-city, high-volume ED would be quite the shock. It's not anywhere close to a major city.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was curious why Brookday and Miami are better although they are much newer programs, right?

I interviewed at Miami - it's a new program in a fun city. Summer can be terrible depending on your taste. Pathology would be abundant but procedures you might have to fight with other services? As with any new programs, it definitely will have many growing pain. For example, they haven't figured out how to split trauma with other residency programs. They haven't figured out their shift hours. They haven't updated the resident's salary (Rent in Miami is easily $1500 a month and I wish the pay were higher than what's disclosed). They haven't given much consideration to their off service rotations. The commute to their affiliated hospital, Holy Cross without traffic is 45 minutes to an hour depending on where you live. With traffic and so forth, I guess you would be spending about 3 to 4 hr commuting everyday for 1/3 of ur residency years. I am also not sure if the ED attending and staff would be keen to working with residents. Their sim center is amazing though and their health campus is very resourceful. PD and chair were trained from prestigious programs but I am not sure they have had previous experience leading the residency program.

Brookdale - I canceled my interview with Brookdale - I know the PD; he was a PD at a different program in NYC before moving to Brookdale. From what I know, he wears many hats at Brookdale - I think he is a chair, a PD among other things. I don't know how long he can wear so many hats tho. I think they were in the process of hiring an APD and such. It's in the roughest of the roughest neighborhood. My main concern is the financial stability of the hospital. I think you will come out as a beast from that program.

I think in general brand new programs are risky and it's hard to compare which newer program is better than the other. I also think they they get reviewed after their second year for further accreditation.

I interviewed at Miami - it's a new program in a fun city. Summer can be terrible depending on your taste. Pathology would be abundant but procedures you might have to fight with other services? As with any new programs, it definitely will have many growing pain. For example, they haven't figured out how to split trauma with other residency programs. They haven't figured out their shift hours. They haven't updated the resident's salary (Rent in Miami is easily $1500 a month and I wish the pay were higher than what's disclosed). They haven't given much consideration to their off service rotations. The commute to their affiliated hospital, Holy Cross without traffic is 45 minutes to an hour depending on where you live. With traffic and so forth, I guess you would be spending about 3 to 4 hr commuting everyday for 1/3 of ur residency years. I am also not sure if the ED attending and staff would be keen to working with residents. Their sim center is amazing though and their health campus is very resourceful. PD and chair were trained from prestigious programs but I am not sure they have had previous experience leading the residency program.

Brookdale - I canceled my interview with Brookdale - I know the PD; he was a PD at a different program in NYC before moving to Brookdale. From what I know, he wears many hats at Brookdale - I think he is a chair, a PD among other things. I don't know how long he can wear so many hats tho. I think they were in the process of hiring an APD and such. It's in the roughest of the roughest neighborhood. My main concern is the financial stability of the hospital. I think you will come out as a beast from that program.

I think in general brand new programs are risky and it's hard to compare which newer program is better than the other. I also think they they get reviewed after their second year for further accreditation.

Miami shifts will be 8s and 10s on weekdays, and 12s on the weekends. I worry about turf wars with IM and surgery since they're well-established at Jackson (especially Ryder Trauma as it's run by surgery). As far as not giving consideration to off-service rotations, what do you mean? They are all posted online, the only negative I saw was an IM month during PGY-1. I agree about having to commute 45 minutes from Jackson to Holy Cross, that part would suck during rush hour.

Miami shifts will be 8s and 10s on weekdays, and 12s on the weekends. I worry about turf wars with IM and surgery since they're well-established at Jackson (especially Ryder Trauma as it's run by surgery). As far as not giving consideration to off-service rotations, what do you mean? They are all posted online, the only negative I saw was an IM month during PGY-1. I agree about having to commute 45 minutes from Jackson to Holy Cross, that part would suck during rush hour.

I interviewed pretty early and they weren't set on the hours then. Do you know how many shifts per month? I thought it would make more sense to do off-service rotations in Miami area.

There is a new Miami program at Kendall. Anyone knows anything about that?

I had a classmate that was just doing a rotation there. Apparently they are approved for 12 residents starting in July 2016. It's not really in Miami, it's about 15 miles SW of the city. The program will be at Kendall Regional Medical Center.

Last edited:
I had a classmate that was just doing a rotation there. Apparently they are approved for 12 residents starting in July 2016. It's not really in Miami, it's about 15 miles SW of the city. The program will be at Kendall Regional Medical Center.
What was your classmate's comments about that place?

It's a level 2 trauma center that gets overshadowed by Jackson memorial :)

Any list of programs that people thoroughly disiked??...could be helpful to also hear of people's negative experiences and vibes in addition to the positive ones that are always mentioned.

Has anyone been contacted by programs after interviews? For phone calls, I have no idea how to navigate...to pick up and be wishy washy/noncommittal or just not pick up and email back? I don't want to burn any bridges, but also don't want to lie to a program if they're not #1.

Has anyone been contacted by programs after interviews? For phone calls, I have no idea how to navigate...to pick up and be wishy washy/noncommittal or just not pick up and email back? I don't want to burn any bridges, but also don't want to lie to a program if they're not #1.

I haven't gotten any program initiated contact but I did get a nice response from my #1 after sending a love letter email. Trying not to get too invested...and really need to stop looking at zillow...lol

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't gotten any program initiated contact but I did get a nice response from my #1 after sending a love letter email. Trying not to get too invested...and really need to stop looking at zillow...lol
whats zillow lol??

When did this program enter ERAS? It seems they are accepting applications for July 2016. However, it seems a little late; would you happen to know if they are still accepting applications?

Glad to know that I am not the only one who checks out zillow lol. Yeah, I also try not to get too excited with the love letters. =D

Is it weird to request a second look 2/23 for the day right before rank list dead line 2/24...it's the only date that I have available to try and get there without missing rotations lol?!

I had a phone call, let it go to voicemail and they wanted me to call back. At first I was hesitant because it wasn't my top program. When I called back it was much less awkward than anticipated. I just thanked them and told them that I had a good experience when I interviewed at their program.

Thanks for the thoughtful response lol and too late already scheduled it...they had no issue with it considering they know how busy a schedule can be for a student lol

Last edited:
Thanks for the thoughtful response lol and too late already scheduled it...they had no issue with it considering they know how busy a schedule can be for a student lol
Look...this is the EM forum. If you wanted the 6 paragraph answer to the question, you should have asked it in the IM forum.

Reactions: 11 users
Look...this is the EM forum. If you wanted the 6 paragraph answer to the question, you should have asked it in the IM forum.
Someone needs a snickers bar lol, regardless appreciate the response :) even tho you took more time and energy to reply to my comment than you did at answering my initial question, but such is life lol!!

Reactions: 2 users
Someone needs a snickers bar lol, regardless appreciate the response :) even tho you took more time and energy to reply to my comment than you did at answering my initial question, but such is life lol!!

I hope this program ends up being your number one and you can mike drop on your way out, ha.

When did this program enter ERAS? It seems they are accepting applications for July 2016. However, it seems a little late; would you happen to know if they are still accepting applications?
They entered really late, only a couple of weeks ago. They did mostly web interviews and finished interviewing yesterday.

They entered really late, only a couple of weeks ago. They did mostly web interviews and finished interviewing yesterday.
Apparently they have handed out all of their interviews for the season...aka save your 26 bucks on eras. They did a one day webcam interview season lol. Not sure how they pulled it off but they did lol

Last edited:
Glad to know that I am not the only one who checks out zillow lol. Yeah, I also try not to get too excited with the love letters. =D

I also look at Zillow a lot lately. Not so much in the past two weeks, because I am on a tough and time-consuming (but educational and valuable) rotation. I think the rotation is a blessing. It keeps me busy and doesn't allow me to go crazy waiting for Match Day. If I remember even a smattering of what I am learning, it should also be useful for intern year.

Apparently they have handed out all of their interviews for the season...aka save your 26 bucks on eras. They did a one day webcam interview season lol. Not sure how they pulled it off but they did lol
Wow a one day webcam interview season! That is crazy lol. I wouldn't have minded getting in on that since I could save a bunch on travel, but oh well.

Wow 1 day webcam interview! lol I guess they knew who they wanted in their program alrdy.

Anyone else not verified yet? So far everyone I've talked to from other schools is and this is starting to bother me...not that it's the first time my school did something at the last minute lol.

Anyone else not verified yet? So far everyone I've talked to from other schools is and this is starting to bother me...not that it's the first time my school did something at the last minute lol.
Not quite sure what you mean by that ??

Ours flatly stated they were going to do it next week

As long as it's done before the 24th you can chill. I'm sure most med schools won't accidentally forget to verify their class.

EDIT: Well, I dunno. Mine might.

Ours flatly stated they were going to do it next week

As long as it's done before the 24th you can chill. I'm sure most med schools won't accidentally forget to verify their class.

EDIT: Well, I dunno. Mine might.

Haha, yeah, I know...my school doesn't have a good track record with getting things done on time, but even they would never let a class go unmatched lol. I guess I'm just falling into that pre-Match neurotic phase when you realize pretty much everything is out of your hands.

Question about those who are couple's matching - did you guys do anything special to remind them that you're couples matching? Not sure if PDs talk to each other or is it understood that they'll communicate? It's clearly on my application and mentioned at all my interviews, but I thought I'd see if there was anything else that might help!

Wow 1 day webcam interview! lol I guess they knew who they wanted in their program alrdy.
They had 3 interview dates. 2/3, 2/4 starting 9am- 4:30pm and 2/6 9am-2pm every hour . The interview session lasted 1 hour and to interview with the program director and 3 other core faculty members. The hospital looks new and organized. Faculty look young; however very enthusiastic, motivated, and very approachable. The clinical curriculum looks good, standard. I think they are on 18 10 hour shifts (including 1 hour dedicated for dispo and notes) per block.

Kendall EM Residency Structure:
3 year program, 12 residents per year and will start with intern class
Structured as 13 four-week rotation blocks each academic year (PGY-1, PGY-2, PGY-3)

Block Rotations:
EM-1
Emergency Medicine – 6 rotation blocks (Inclusive of July orientation block)
Anesthesia – 1 block
Cardiology- 1 block
MICU- 1 block
Obstetrics and Gynecology – 1 block
Pediatric EM – 1 block and longitudinal exposure throughout year, 2-3 shifts per rotation in ED
Trauma and Acute Care Surgery – 1 block

EM-2
Emergency Medicine – 10 rotation blocks (Inclusive of July orientation block)
EMS – 1 rotation block
Pediatric ICU – 1 rotation block
Trauma ICU – 1 rotation block
Pediatric EM - longitudinal exposure throughout year, 2-3 shifts per rotation in ED

EM-3
Emergency Medicine - 11 rotation blocks (Inclusive of July orientation block)
MICU – 1 rotation block
Elective – 1 rotation bock
Pediatric EM - longitudinal exposure throughout year, 2-3 shifts per rotation in ED

Didactics:
The required weekly didactic sessions are scheduled for every Wednesday throughout the academic year except for holidays. Each session is 5 hours long. During each 18 month period we will cover the core content of emergency medicine with a focus on learning objectives and teaching methodologies appropriate to the level of residency training. We are dedicated to our residents getting the most from every educational experience.
The didactic training content will be covered through a variety of educational methods such as:
a. Lectures
b. Small Group Discussions
c. Case Conferences
d. Morbidity and Mortality
e. Grand Rounds
f. Journal Club

Simulation:
Simulation is a focal point of training at our residency program. Our affiliation with Florida International University gives us the privilege of the use of their state of the art simulation center. Here we run monthly simulations conferences where we focus on high acuity, low frequency cases along with procedural skills and team building.

Ultrasound:
At Kendall we truly believe that ultrasound is the stethoscope of the future, and we have incorporated monthly ultrasound training along with a month long intensive on ultrasound so that each of our residents is proficient in their skills.

Business Curriculum:
Our Business Curriculum is designed so that our residents can be successful in the “real world.” We have developed a structured and progressive program that focuses on business education to empower resident physicians to provide more efficient and cost effective care upon completion of residency training and transition into independent practice. We will focus on how to run an ED with a focus on process and flow. We will discuss how to search for jobs and how to secure the best position along with how to be more effective in management, networking and team building. We will also dive into understanding the financial components of an emergency medicine practice, which can be key to business and personal success in independent practice.
Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Curriculum:
Here we focus on learning the tools to provide high quality, safe, effective care for future practice. Each resident will be paired with a faculty mentor to develop a project where they can apply a root cause analysis that can possibly be used for future research or M&M conference.

Research:
Our research curriculum was designed to provide a strong research foundation and introduces residents to ethics, research design, basic statistical analysis, survey development and much more. Further, you are guided in all phases of scholarly activity including: scholarly writing and presentations, project development and design, data analysis, and Internal Review Board packet preparation.
In addition, we provide one-on-one planning sessions, top notch clinical mentors, and an excellent opportunity to conduct important and impactful research while you are with us. Working with your Program Directors, faculty mentors and research staff you are assured access to the resources necessary to complete high quality scholarly activity.

Last edited:
They had 3 interview dates. 2/3, 2/4 starting 9am- 4:30pm and 2/6 9am-2pm every hour . The interview session lasted 1 hour and to interview with the program director and 3 other core faculty members. The hospital looks new and organized. Faculty look young; however very enthusiastic, motivated, and very approachable. The clinical curriculum looks good, standard, no floor month. I think they are on 18 10 hour shifts per block.

Structured as 13 four-week rotation blocks each academic year (PGY-1, PGY-2, PGY-3)

Block Rotations:
EM-1
Anesthesia – 1 block
Cardiology- 1 block
MICU- 1 block
Pediatric EM – 1 block and longitudinal exposure throughout year, 2-3 shifts per rotation in ED

EM-2
EMS – 1 rotation block

EM-3
MICU – 1 rotation block

Didactics:
The required weekly didactic sessions are scheduled for every Wednesday throughout the academic year except for holidays. Each session is 5 hours long. During each 18 month period we will cover the core content of emergency medicine with a focus on learning objectives and teaching methodologies appropriate to the level of residency training. We are dedicated to our residents getting the most from every educational experience.
The didactic training content will be covered through a variety of educational methods such as:
a. Lectures
c. Case Conferences
e. Grand Rounds
f. Journal Club

Simulation:
Simulation is a focal point of training at our residency program. Our affiliation with Florida International University gives us the privilege of the use of their state of the art simulation center. Here we run monthly simulations conferences where we focus on high acuity, low frequency cases along with procedural skills and team building.

Ultrasound:
At Kendall we truly believe that ultrasound is the stethoscope of the future, and we have incorporated monthly ultrasound training along with a month long intensive on ultrasound so that each of our residents is proficient in their skills.

Business Curriculum:
Our Business Curriculum is designed so that our residents can be successful in the “real world.” We have developed a structured and progressive program that focuses on business education to empower resident physicians to provide more efficient and cost effective care upon completion of residency training and transition into independent practice. We will focus on how to run an ED with a focus on process and flow. We will discuss how to search for jobs and how to secure the best position along with how to be more effective in management, networking and team building. We will also dive into understanding the financial components of an emergency medicine practice, which can be key to business and personal success in independent practice.
Here we focus on learning the tools to provide high quality, safe, effective care for future practice. Each resident will be paired with a faculty mentor to develop a project where they can apply a root cause analysis that can possibly be used for future research or M&M conference.

Research:
Our research curriculum was designed to provide a strong research foundation and introduces residents to ethics, research design, basic statistical analysis, survey development and much more. Further, you are guided in all phases of scholarly activity including: scholarly writing and presentations, project development and design, data analysis, and Internal Review Board packet preparation.
In addition, we provide one-on-one planning sessions, top notch clinical mentors, and an excellent opportunity to conduct important and impactful research while you are with us. Working with your Program Directors, faculty mentors and research staff you are assured access to the resources necessary to complete high quality scholarly activity.

You mean no IM floor month?

Cardiology and Acute Care Surgery are both usually considered floor months.

They had 3 interview dates. 2/3, 2/4 starting 9am- 4:30pm and 2/6 9am-2pm every hour . The interview session lasted 1 hour and to interview with the program director and 3 other core faculty members. The hospital looks new and organized. Faculty look young; however very enthusiastic, motivated, and very approachable. The clinical curriculum looks good, standard, no floor month. I think they are on 18 10 hour shifts per block.

Block Rotations:
EM-1
Anesthesia – 1 block
Cardiology- 1 block
MICU- 1 block

EM-2
EMS – 1 rotation block

EM-3
MICU – 1 rotation block

Didactics:
a. Lectures
c. Case Conferences
e. Grand Rounds
f. Journal Club

Simulation:

Ultrasound:

Business Curriculum:

Research:

Sounds like a very nice up-and-coming program and 18 10 hrs shifts! What other hospitals would you rotate at? Jackson might have some tough competition now.

Zillow is a website to find real estate prices. Great for looking at apartment prices around an area you're interested in.
hahaha so true... i looked at trulia though, somehow that's easier for me. Also have to mentally prepared for disappointment! :)

Question about those who are couple's matching - did you guys do anything special to remind them that you're couples matching? Not sure if PDs talk to each other or is it understood that they'll communicate? It's clearly on my application and mentioned at all my interviews, but I thought I'd see if there was anything else that might help!

Yes, I sent a reminder to my top 5 programs a few weeks back.

They had 3 interview dates. 2/3, 2/4 starting 9am- 4:30pm and 2/6 9am-2pm every hour . The interview session lasted 1 hour and to interview with the program director and 3 other core faculty members. The hospital looks new and organized. Faculty look young; however very enthusiastic, motivated, and very approachable. The clinical curriculum looks good, standard. I think they are on 18 10 hour shifts (including 1 hour dedicated for dispo and notes) per block.

Block Rotations:
EM-1
Anesthesia – 1 block
Cardiology- 1 block
MICU- 1 block

EM-2
EMS – 1 rotation block

EM-3
MICU – 1 rotation block

Didactics:
a. Lectures
c. Case Conferences
e. Grand Rounds
f. Journal Club

Simulation:

Ultrasound:

Business Curriculum:

Research:

Sounds pretty good. Wonder why I never heard of them earlier in the season.

I just made sure to mention it every single time when I was in an interview, especially with a PD. At least one person wrote it down. Then in my love letters to top 3 said something like "my SO also loved the xyz program at your institution/xyz program in your city"

Anyone have opinions to share on Duke? Wasn't sure what to make of them being under the Dept of Surgery...thoughts?

I would seriously consider cancelling and saving your money, unless you think it is going to significantly change YOUR rank list, because doing it that late will not effect the program's rank list.

Reactions: 1 users
I would seriously consider cancelling and saving your money, unless you think it is going to significantly change YOUR rank list, because doing it that late will not effect the program's rank list.
Totally agree, it's more for me and my rank list, interviewed with them very early on in the season and don't really remember the ED layout and the residents...this was before I realized that I should have been takin notes lol.

I have received nice responses from a couple of my top programs too but then some of them ended theirs by saying good luck. What does that mean?! lol Maybe I am too neurotic and reading between the lines? In any case, my wife and I just certified our ROL so let the match god handle the rest.