2015-2016 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What happens at this time is that people "hoard" interviews (usually top applicants), then later on "better" programs invite out and they cancel their previous spots and the dust falls down to the mere mortals. I got most of my invites in Nov and Dec last year. Even received some as late as January.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Any recommendations from senior members on what to look for on interviews? Like what are some factors that maybe weren't that clear in your consideration as a med student, but impact your life as a resident.
Vague question, and I know a lot will depend on personal preference, but some insight would be helpful.

Fantastic question. One thing I didn't know about then but really makes a difference now is cross-coverage for attendings. At my program - like a lot of others - you have to cover multiple attendings at once. This sucks.

Programs that have it set up where you are on the same schedule as your attending are awesome.

Another thing is you want to try to make sure that the program has some sort of organized education system. You'll get all the information that is generic but make sure to ask the residents - especially the junior resdients - what they really have in terms of reseources for education curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm certainly not anything close to a "senior member", just a lowly PGY2, but here are my humble and mostly-uninformed recommendations on things to evaluate when you interview at a program, roughly in order of importance. This excludes location (i.e. how close you are to family, significant others, big cities, etc) because programs can't control these things.

1) "Fit": The fact is, radiation oncology is unlike a lot of other fields in that you will spend a lot of time in close proximity to your attendings and co-residents. Contrast this to IM (I did a prelim medicine year), where on a wards month, you might be with your staff from 8a - 2p, and free to work with your upper level resident the rest of the time. You need to feel like this is a place you can show up for work every day for four years and get along with your co-residents and attendings without significant personality differences. Admittedly, this is tough to feel out in a day, which is part of why I think a lot of people match where they did away rotations. In many ways, you're applying for an apprenticeship with lots of close feedback and life is better if you like the folks you see on a daily basis.

2) Outcomes: Dr. Terry Wall gives a talk at ARRO session which happens yearly on the Saturday before ASTRO. He shares advice by prior senior residents who are now working. One common theme I appreciated this year was that many people thought they would do academics or private practice, but ended up applying for both types of jobs. That being said, if you're dead-set on academics (or PP), it's helpful to know what types of jobs people have gotten in recent years. Most programs will discuss alumni; take note of where they ended up (both in terms of geography and job type).

3) Workload: Is there lots of scut (i.e. calling referring docs to ask for notes, uploading outside images to PACS, etc)? What is coverage like? If your co-resident is sick or on vacation, do you have to cover their staff for them? Again, this is hard to evaluate in a single interview day, and even more difficult to ask of the residents in the program where you're interviewing without sounding like a special snowflake. That being said, see if you can find out if there is good "front office support" for these sorts of things. You have other things to worry about, like consults, staging, contouring, prescriptions, managing toxicities, etc.

4) Technology: Everywhere has IMRT, SRS, SBRT, brachytherapy etc, but don't buy into the hype of "Protons in 2 years!" unless the digging has started. If you need protons in your training (hint: you probably don't), then be wary of these sorts of promises. Make sure the technology available will reflect what you want to do in the future.

4) Research time and opportunities: Do you want to do lots of research? Is research time guaranteed? If so, how much? How productive are residents? If your project requires more than the normally allotted time, will you get more time to work? If your project is short, will you be required to return to clinic? Do you want lots of research, or would you prefer more clinic time?

5) Didactics: There's a steep learning curve in RO, so it's helpful to have a structured, successful program to teach you rad bio, physics, and clinical topics. Ask the residents if there is protected teaching time, how they feel about their learning, and how much they have to rely on "self-directed" studying. Of course, you'll have to study on your own before boards, but it's nice to get a sense if academic time prior to PGY4 sets you up for success.

6) "Extras": Think moonlighting (allowed for everyone? case-by-case? forbidden?), vacation time, educational funds, personal workstations, conference attendance policies, ability to rotate at outside practice, cafeteria vouchers, etc. It's easy to think these things can be put off to the very end and won't impact your training, but some folks will really need moonlighting $$$ to support a family and/or live in pricey locales, and having a good financial support means you can go to nice conferences without going broke. Also, who doesn't like free food?

Of course, everyone will have different priorities, but this is kind of how I think about it after a few months on the job. That being said, I love where I work, but I certainly didn't appreciate all these factors when I was interviewing.

Best of luck!

Reactions: 9 users
Can anyone switch their Cleveland Clinic interview with me? I have January 25th and will take any other.

Please PM me if you can, thanks!

= )

67 places invited- when is it considered "late" in this cycle? Is there actual movement as we approach December?

Yes I am curious as well. Sitting on 4 interview invites only. I made a post (at the end of last page) about having 3 invites at the beginning of November and sort of got the gist from this thread that I am worrying too early. I don't know when is a good time to start making considerations of not matching.

So, obviously I'm just conjecturing here, but I think we're just creeping up on the middle of the cycle. Last week had a ton of schools/the big name places send out invites, and that's when people started posting the interview swap stuff. I imagine that there are a bunch of people double-booked or with back-to-back interviews they probably can't make. So they'll sit on them for like, a week or two seeing if someone can swap, and then cancel if they have no choice. All of this takes time, so I guess the end of November/beginning of December would start the "late" part of the cycle.

So, obviously I'm just conjecturing here, but I think we're just creeping up on the middle of the cycle. Last week had a ton of schools/the big name places send out invites, and that's when people started posting the interview swap stuff. I imagine that there are a bunch of people double-booked or with back-to-back interviews they probably can't make. So they'll sit on them for like, a week or two seeing if someone can swap, and then cancel if they have no choice. All of this takes time, so I guess the end of November/beginning of December would start the "late" part of the cycle.

I don't know. I understand that decision depends on how many interview days are being offered by the conflicting programs and how soon these days are coming up (among other things). However, I received an invitation for one interview day where I was already booked and politely declined as soon as I realized I wouldn't be able to move the other one. This took me a matter of hours to do. I'm sad about it, but I also feel good knowing someone else will be able to pick it up with plenty of time.

As for where we are in the season @brianmed - yes, 69 programs have issued invitations of some sort, but there should be an asterisk on that number. For example, Sinai has only sent out interview invites to rotators still so far. (I'm holding out hope :))

I don't know. I understand that decision depends on how many interview days are being offered by the conflicting programs and how soon these days are coming up (among other things). However, I received an invitation for one interview day where I was already booked and politely declined as soon as I realized I wouldn't be able to move the other one. This took me a matter of hours to do. I'm sad about it, but I also feel good knowing someone else will be able to pick it up with plenty of time.

As for where we are in the season @brianmed - yes, 69 programs have issued invitations of some sort, but there should be an asterisk on that number. For example, Sinai has only sent out interview invites to rotators still so far. (I'm holding out hope :))

Ah, I think I've been incredibly lucky in that I have yet to receive an invitation for a date where I was already booked (lucky, and I've been able to respond within 5 minutes to virtually every invite). However, I am personally approaching a critical mass of interviews where I will probably start declining new offers or canceling ones I'm holding. My guess of "mid-cycle" is based on my own invite situation as well as the interview swap threads. I'm not sure how much "trickle down" effect we've seen yet, I just have a suspicion that it's just beginning.

I also plan on letting programs know I can't make it ASAP, because anyone who remains knowingly double-booked is the worst kind of gunner. A rising tide lifts all boats.

I'm curious how many interviews people have at this point. I added an additional tab to the google doc for a RUNNING TOTAL of INVITES. Lets keep this updated...it likely benefit us all to see the range.

A few years ago someone just made a forum poll for that and got a good amount of responses

Consider yourself lucky Xander. I haven't received an exorbitant number of interviews but there are already 4 I have had to turn down since I was already booked.

Is anyone else interested in knowing not only the running total of invites but the breakdown between primary (initial) invites vs. secondary invites (where you were offered a single date because someone else canceled)? I was thinking of adding a column for this to the spreadsheet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any reason we're not doing interview impressions this year on the spreadsheet? That was enormously helpful on last year's sheet

Any reason we're not doing interview impressions this year on the spreadsheet? That was enormously helpful on last year's sheet

Just one opinion, but I think it would be much more useful to use the interview impressions thread. There is obviously much more room there to write up a full impression rather than a couple sentences.

I'm about to withdraw 7-8 of my currently scheduled interviews and talking to people on the trail there are others doing the same over these next two weeks so I imagine there will be a decent secondary wave of invites.

Who in the world is the ringer with 37 invites?

275 Step 1, 15 first author Red Journal papers, and organized a massive philanthropy effort whereby they were able to purchase 8 brand new Varian Trilogy machines for third world RadOnc clinics?

Good for you man. Others who know they cannot make interviews should follow lead soon, so that people who can attend can receive an invite. Don't wait until the last minute (<2 weeks before the interview) if you already know you cannot make it;its a small field and it reflects badly on you if you cancel with little time for that program to offer it to someone in a timely manner.

I imagine there will be a decent secondary wave of invites.
Optimistic about the second wave!
I worry that this second wave some of us are hoping for is a myth. I thought programs factored in cancellations and therefore overbooked.
Can any previous applicants shed light on this? In previous years, was there another wave of invites in December (or late Nov)?

I worry that this second wave some of us are hoping for is a myth. I thought programs factored in cancellations and therefore overbooked.
Can any previous applicants shed light on this? In previous years, was there another wave of invites in December (or late Nov)?

I just spoke with my home program, and they confirmed that they send out the exact number of invites they can accommodate and then pull people off the waitlist if and when applicants cancel. I think RadOnc is too small to pull off an IM-style "overbook the interviews" plan, it would probably blow up in their face.

We actually had that happen in my MD-PhD program a few years ago. We traditionally offer more acceptances than we can take assuming people will withdraw. That worked great, until it didn't, when our class size doubled for one year.

We don't do that anymore.

Thanks, @Xander Cruz and @Neuronix. That is encouraging especially looking at the google doc's "loose" count currently at 94.

It should be noted that the Loose count is the high water mark for number of rejected invites, and can't represent the number currently out there for the taking. Similarly, I doubt that when an individual waitlisted candidate receives a spare invite, s/he goes to the doc to update that in the main sheet (or even in the running total sheet).

Based on the estimates in the two sheets, however, roughly half of the total invites sent out so far are represented in the running total page (which is crazy considering only 32 people have put their info into the running total page).

The second wave does indeed exist. I was a pretty average rad onc candidate last year (Step 1 240s, average grades, decent research), and this was my interview breakdown:

September: 1
October: 2
November: 6
December: 2
January: 2

If I recall correctly, the second wave began sometime the week before Thanksgiving last year, although timing is different year to year due to ASTRO. For what it's worth, none of this ended up ultimately mattering because I matched at an institution that I did an away at (my #1 choice, and one of my original interviews from October).

Good luck, guys!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for that @beamseyeview. I feel that getting a "second wave" invite automatically puts you low on a program's rank list. Anyone know of ppl matching on a "second wave" invite?

A resident at a highly reputable program recently told me he matched off of a 2nd wave interview.

Even though there may be inherent parts of your application that put you at the high or low end of a rank list, I think it's best to enter each interview with the mindset that you're on level playing field now and that the impression you leave on your interview day can swing your rank.

Personally I felt that way as well, I got an invite less than a week before an interview date last year (likely from some double booked gunner cancelling) and was subsequently offered an interview at an institution. Psychologically i didn't really feel like that program had any interest in me, rather they needed a "filler".

Personally I felt that way as well, I got an invite less than a week before an interview date last year (likely from some double booked gunner cancelling) and was subsequently offered an interview at an institution. Psychologically i didn't really feel like that program had any interest in me, rather they needed a "filler".

Yeah I remember having that feeling at one interview.. then an interviewer said "With your qualifications, why would you want to come here?".. I responded well I got an interview off your wait list! :) I think overall there is certainly some randomness to the process.... Good luck everyone, I wish you all the best during this challenging process. Try to enjoy meeting with everyone, its a very small field.. you never know who you will end up working with...

Anyone know if Sinai has sent out external invites? Or just internal so far

can anyone PM me kaiser southern california's program coordinator/directors email? thanks! cbic

@Xander Cruz thank you so much for your hard work and effort putting together the Google worksheet. I've been a long time lurker but I signed up to thank you for this golden resource

@Xander Cruz thank you so much for your hard work and effort putting together the Google worksheet. I've been a long time lurker but I signed up to thank you for this golden resource

Ha, thank you but this ended up being a giant community effort, it should be used as the prime example of what SDN neuroticism is capable of if channeled into a creative outlet.

Now, who wants to write some sort of massive, retrospective chart review paper with me? I'm sure we could all bang one out in like, 2 days.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2016-2017-radonc-interview-spreadsheet.1222027/

2016-2017 THREAD:

Based on old threads, invites probably won't be coming out for at least another 4-6 weeks but since this thread has popped up around now in previous years, I figured I'd get it started. Good Luck!

THIS YEAR:
2016-2017 RadOnc Interview Spreadsheet

Prior Years:
2015-2016 RadOnc Interview Spreadsheet
2014-2015 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat
2014-2015 Google Doc Interview Spreadsheet
2013-2014 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat
2012-2013 Interview Gossip/Chit-Chat

You should make a new thread for your year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app