2015-2016 ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rehab_guy_sports

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little late, but I saw posts from past years, figured I get one started before Match Day next week.

I'll start:

1. Spaulding
2.UPMC
3. Colorado
4. RIC
5. UWash
6. Jeff
7. C/C
8. UPenn
9. Carolinas
10. Medstar/Georgetown
11. Temple
12. UVA
13. Hopkins

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. Stanford
2. RIC
3. Mt. Sinai
4. Jackson Memorial
5. UC Davis
6. JFK
7. UT San Antonio
8. University of Minnesota
9. Schwab
10. UVA
11. Sinai Baltimore
12. SUNY Downstate
13. DMC-RIM

1. Mayo
2. Wisconsin
3. Carolinas
4. MCW
5. Louisville
6. Colorado
7. Kansas
8. Minnesota
9. Missouri
10. Indiana
11. U of Washington
12. USF
13. UAB

1. Mayo
2. Wisconsin
3. Carolinas
4. MCW
5. Louisville
6. Colorado
7. Kansas
8. Minnesota
9. Missouri
10. Indiana
11. U of Washington
12. USF
13. UAB

out of curiosity, what made you not apply optho in the end?

out of curiosity, what made you not apply optho in the end?

Rotations in ophtho in July and PM&R in August to compare back-to-back. Basically, by the middle of July, I was already losing interest and figured out it just wasn't what I wanted. The surgeries are cool ****, but beyond that, I wasn't really feeling it. Took it as a bad sign when I was struggling to make it through a 4 wk block.

Luckily, August was much better, and haven't looked back since.

1. William Beaumont
2. RIC
3. UPMC
4. UWisc
5. DMC-RIM
6. Mayo
7. UPenn
8. Hopkins
9. Kansas
10. Kessler
11. Temple
12. Michigan

Didn't Rank: WashU, Wayne-Oakwood, Penn State
Hey, I'm a M3 in Michigan and long time lurker. I'm interested in PM&R and was intrigued by your rank list. Mind if I ask why you liked Beaumont so much to rank them #1 over so many great other programs? I was going to try to do a rotation either there or DMC but didn't know which was better. Also did you not like UM or Oakwood for some reason? And do you know if the Beaumont-Royal Oak program is going to merge with Oakwood since they're both under the Beaumont name now? I'd love to stay in Michigan for residency so any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 users
Now that I know I've matched and where I'm going....
1. UVA
2. Carolinas
3. VCU
4. U Rochester
5. USF
6. UTHSC San Antonio
7. UNC
8. Vidant/ECU
9. UT Southwestern Dallas
10. Jackson Memorial
11. Hershey/Penn State
12. Thomas Jefferson
13. UAB

Matched to my #1 program

Reactions: 1 users
1. Spaulding/Harvard
2. RIC/Northwestern
3. University of Michigan
4. UPMC/Pitt
5. UPenn
6. Ohio State
7. UNC-Chapel Hill
8. Carolinas
9. Emory
10. VCU
11. Jefferson
12. Case Western
13. Vanderbilt
14. Temple
15. Johns Hopkins
- DMC/RIM (wanted somewhere new)

My stats/profile: Attended non-top 40 NIH school, average grades, a couple honors, mostly passes, one summer research experience with no publications. LOTS of volunteerism/extracurriculars with leadership roles. 230's Step 1, 250's Step 2. Did 2 home PM&R rotations (peds and adult) with no aways. Very strong LOR's, 1 from PM&R. I had my entire application finished on 9/16 so I believe that helped rope in some invites. Otherwise I'm still surprised to match where I did, so I think it's a testament to the fact that PM&R really looks at the whole picture and not just where you went to school or your grades.

PM&R: Applied 40, withdrew 5, received 32 invites, scheduled 18, cancelled 2, ranked 15.

TY: Applied 16, received 10 invites, scheduled 8, ranked 8. All in Michigan.

Thrilled to have ended up matching RIC categorical, which to be truthful I'm happier than if I had matched Spaulding. RIC was my number one all season until late January when I freaked out about how little my ROL had changed (stupid reason, I know). I was having some serious regrets closer to match day (family/location issues, not with the program itself) but it all worked out in the end!

Ranked primarily by location (city and vicinity to family and friends in MI) > interactions on interview days >> availability of future opportunities.

Hope this helps people applying next year! I know I was searching high and low for what to expect with my stats! Good luck, and congratulations to everybody who matched on Friday!!!

Reactions: 2 users
1. Utah
2. Columbia/Cornell
3. RIC
4. Spaulding
5. Mayo
6. UPMC
7. Case Western/MetroHealth
8. UPenn
9. NYU
10. WUSTL
11. Tufts
12. SUNY Upstate
13. Albany
14. North Shore/LIJ (now Northwell)

Did not rank: NUMC, Stony Brook

Matched to my #2 and am very happy!

My stats/profile: attended one of the more competitive DO schools, above average grades/honors in most rotations, only took COMLEX (average to slightly-above-average scores. Would NOT recommend only taking COMLEX now, seeing how competitive PM&R is getting!). Two PM&R research experiences with two first-author publications, one poster, and one presentation at a PM&R conference. Two home rotations in PM&R and one away rotation. I think my LORs were fairly strong (I waived my right to read them, so not sure), but one came from a PM&R research chair with whom I developed a strong relationship during my research experiences.

PM&R: applied to 48, withdrew 3, received 22 invites, scheduled 18, cancelled 2, ranked 14.

Medicine prelim years: applied to 20, received 7 invites, ranked all 7, all in New England/New York. Matched to my #1.

I'm excited to have matched to my #2 in PM&R as it was a bit of a toss up between my #1 and #2 ranks. I was agonizing over it for months before submitting. I think I'd have been equally happy to have matched at either Utah or C/C, so it worked out.

Ranked in order of the following: location (proximity to family/friends) > sense of "fit" with residents and faculty > where future grads end up.

I received a lot of great advice on this forum but ultimately ended up ranking programs based on more subjective and personal reasons ("fit" and proximity to loved ones) than prestige. Some may say I should have ranked RIC, Spaulding, Mayo, et al. higher but ultimately I didn't feel as comfortable at these institutions, and although they'd undoubtedly open doors for me in the future, I am glad I am ending up somewhere that works well for me logistically and personally (as well as for my SO, which as many of you know is no small factor!).

Congrats to everyone who matched, and many thanks to those who helped us through the process on this forum.

1. Mayo
2. NRH
3. Utah
4. ECU
5. LSU
6. MetroHealth
7. USF
8. WSU Taylor, MI

I originally only applied to 28 categorical programs thinking I didn't want to move twice or do a prelim. I also didn't have all my LORs in until October 1. I got very few invites before Oct. 1 (actually I think just 1). I panicked and applied to 14 more programs I think plus prelims. I am glad I did because that is how I found NRH and fell in love with the program but it was not a good decision for my prelim because I didn't get a single invite. I took a chance and ranked 2 advanced programs high knowing I would have to SOAP if I matched and sure enough I matched NRH which I am thrilled about. I didn't like SOAPing. It was so stressful and I matched surgery which will be hard as a new mom.

As for application I am MD, I had honors in about half my third year rotations, good LORs but late, no away rotations, a leave of absence, 4 research projects, volunteer work, step 1 score above 235 and step 2 above 255. The biggest mistake was not having my LORs in by the 15th and also not applying more broadly. I was so scared of a prelim year I missed out on some great programs and ended up with the hardest prelim possible. I had only 10 invites and went on 8.

I loved Mayo but NRH is definitely a great place for me. Lots of family nearby and a program I love.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, I am a current resident at Emory. Now that the match is over, will those of you that interviewed at our program provide some feedback? Pros/Cons regarding both the program overall and interview day will be helpful. Whatever we can do to improve. Feel free to private message me or just post directly to this thread. Thanks!

Hi all, I am a current resident at Emory. Now that the match is over, will those of you that interviewed at our program provide some feedback? Pros/Cons regarding both the program overall and interview day will be helpful. Whatever we can do to improve. Feel free to private message me or just post directly to this thread. Thanks!

Aren't these requests typically sent by the programs in email? Otherwise how do you know someone responding actually interviewed and isn't just trolling? I've been receiving surveys on surveys since Match Day

If they didn't actually interview, it would be fairly obvious. This forum allows individuals to be more brutally honest as opposed to sending a survey directly to the program. Again, this simply provides us another avenue to receive feedback. If you don't wish to respond, then no problem. Feel free to message me directly as well.

Utah
UT Southwestern Dallas
Indianapolis
Marian Joy
U of Arkansas
CaseWestern
San Antonio
Houston--UT
Austin TX
Barnes Jewish St. Louis

Matched to Dallas and I'm totally totally excited about it!!! I had a 219 step 1,a 238 step 2, no away rotations, probably one really good LOR and two average ones, a unique and well written personal statement--most importantly, I interview well. Applied to 40, offers at 11, accepted and ranked 10. Matched at my number 2! Good luck to everyone who haunts these threads with less than stellar scores. You can do it. Just go for it and use those interpersonal skills!