2015 Doctoral Program Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Eeesh, the program I interviewed with last week via phone (they only conduct phone interviews) has apparently already notified of acceptances. A big ole Ugh to this process. Although, at least I'm getting pretty good at dealing with rejection.... *silver lining*

I'm starting to think maybe I'm a lot worse at interviews than I thought I was. :bucktooth:

Didn't you get approximately 5 million interviews?! Don't lose hope- you only need 1, as they say :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@bostongal109 Bahah nooo, not quite 5 million, but I did get a few (which I'm super grateful for). Thank you for the encouragement. :cat:

I'm trying to prepare for my in-person interviews and hope that maybe my unique charm just comes across better face-to-face than on the phone. ;) And I know a huge portion of this process is *fit*, which can be so subjective and hard to nail down, so deep breaths and happy thoughts all around.

Reactions: 1 users
@bostongal109 Bahah nooo, not quite 5 million, but I did get a few (which I'm super grateful for). Thank you for the encouragement. :cat:

I'm trying to prepare for my in-person interviews and hope that maybe my unique charm just comes across better face-to-face than on the phone. ;) And I know a huge portion of this process is *fit*, which can be so subjective and hard to nail down, so deep breaths and happy thoughts all around.

You will rock them. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)

Got my first official rejection (Marquette.) I expect many more, but at least we put ourselves out there right? It's like dating. I'll cross my fingers and hope my story plays out something like yours. Congrats on your admission offer and upcoming interviews!

Got my first official rejection (Marquette.) I expect many more, but at least we put ourselves out there right? It's like dating. I'll cross my fingers and hope my story plays out something like yours. Congrats on your admission offer and upcoming interviews!

Thanks qualpsych! This whole process is so weird, and subjective, and.... blergh. But, you're right, you win some, you lose some, and eventually something will come along that works out for the right reasons. I'm rooting for you! :luck::xf:

What is everyone doing regarding thank you notes following interviews? I thought it was necessary, but as I'm reading previous threads it seems like it's not really expected or even particularly encouraged.

What is everyone doing regarding thank you notes following interviews? I thought it was necessary, but as I'm reading previous threads it seems like it's not really expected or even particularly encouraged.

I only had my first interview but I think it's a polite thing to do. Even moreso if there is a reason to be especially thankful. Some of the faculty went out of their way to be welcoming and to give us as many chances as possible to learn about the program - definite thank you note.

If there is less to say I don't think it's a negative to write one (no one dislikes politeness) but I don't think it hurts your chances either way.

I will be writing thank you notes, likely in the form of an email. I doubt it will have any impact on admissions status, but I just think it is polite and professional. Like Suenya said, I don't think it will seriously impact your chances either way. Good luck at your interviews!! :)

I also wrote thank you emails. I didn't receive a response but I didn't really expect one. I'm just used to giving thank you's so I sent one, I also don't think it helps or hurts too much.

For those with social events with current grad students the night before interviews, what are you planning on wearing? Mines off campus at a casual restaurant so I'm wondering if jeans are okay or if it's better to dress up a little.

I tend to be the type to dress up a little nicer anyways, so for cold-weather events like this I'm wearing a green sweater dress with a black cardigan, thick black tights, and black booties (hehe) and for the one warmer weather interview I'm wearing an a-line dress made from a thicker material (not cotton) that goes past my knees, black flats, and a black cardigan.

I don't know if it really matters all that much, and the outfits I described are pretty much how I dress anyways when I have to be "professional-ish" lol. Just don't show your boobs or be super sloppy and you should be okay! Good luck :)

I tend to be the type to dress up a little nicer anyways, so for cold-weather events like this I'm wearing a green sweater dress with a black cardigan, thick black tights, and black booties (hehe) and for the one warmer weather interview I'm wearing an a-line dress made from a thicker material (not cotton) that goes past my knees, black flats, and a black cardigan.

I don't know if it really matters all that much, and the outfits I described are pretty much how I dress anyways when I have to be "professional-ish" lol. Just don't show your boobs or be super sloppy and you should be okay! Good luck :)

Lol I'll be sure to put my boobs away! It is probably always safer to err on the side of dressy. Was just curious and thinking of outfits, so thanks :)

Last edited:
It seems that one of the clinical masters I researched last fall and added to my list no longer exists. The school is launching a Psy.D. instead.

I'm excited to hear Forest is closing. The most incompetent person I've ever met that has a doctorate in psychology "graduated" from there. I cant imagine the multiple scenarios that must have played out for that to happen. Truly abysmal. I'm sure there are good graduates from there, but sadly I have an N=1, and it's a lot closer to N =0.

I'm excited to hear Forest is closing. The most incompetent person I've ever met that has a doctorate in psychology "graduated" from there. I cant imagine the multiple scenarios that must have played out for that to happen. Truly abysmal. I'm sure there are good graduates from there, but sadly I have an N=1, and it's a lot closer to N =0.

I know a community one whose reports I have occasionally come across. They are almost unreadable.