2015 IRA contribution Ideas...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

likeaboss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a CA2 resident, and I'm looking for ideas on WHEN and HOW to fund my IRA this year...

I currently own a bunch of SPY which is my go-to stock when I can't think of anything else.

I'm looking for other ideas though. I'm 32, unmarried, and live somewhat frugally.

Any good Greece plays? Looks like they are getting bailed out so I can't really count on much market instability in the coming weeks

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stick with spy. I've been buying spy for 15 years now. I'm doing quite well! I'm thinking I could live off the 2% dividend when I retire.

Mmm...love the idea of coming to an anonymous, non-financial forum and asking for financial advice.

You mean Roth IRA, right?

Hey everyone, I'm a CA2 resident, and I'm looking for ideas on WHEN and HOW to fund my IRA this year...

I currently own a bunch of SPY which is my go-to stock when I can't think of anything else.

I'm looking for other ideas though. I'm 32, unmarried, and live somewhat frugally.

Any good Greece plays? Looks like they are getting bailed out so I can't really count on much market instability in the coming weeks

SDYL is a related note. Greater risk. Greater reward?

How about a Vanguard Total market Index fund?

Reactions: 1 user

And to follow up on my Vanguard Total Market Fund suggestion, an IRA is for the long game. You don't want to use it to do a bunch of day trading and speculation. If you want to do that, take a small amount of your overall savings, maybe 5%, and play. There are no Greece plays worthy of an IRA. Vanguard's ticker is VTSAX or VTI for the ETF version. It gives you a bit more of a market than SPY gives.

SPY is good, things that I also invest in are AAPL, IBB (a biotech ETF), and individual biotech stocks like CELG and GILD.

I try to add to SPY on dips, and then keep a smaller percentage of my portfolio in the others listed above.

The rules I follow are to stay diversified and stick to large cap growth stocks. I try to avoid the small caps.