2015 MCAT study material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spitphire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For you future 2015 MCAT test takers, how many of you plan on using the Kaplan books to study? I personally find them aesthetically pleasing. I plan to grab a couple of them this summer and trying the annotation method for gen chem and gen physics. If you plan on using anything else please list it!

What's caught me eye so far:
http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-MCAT-R...d=1396728653&sr=8-1&keywords=kaplan+mcat+2015

http://www.amazon.com/The-Princeton-Review-Complete-MCAT/dp/0804125082/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Members don't see this ad.

bump

curious to what study plan/material pre-med students will be using for the upcoming 2015 test

Members don't see this ad :)
Kaplan is a vast resource and TPR has their books out as well.
We also have our books out for psychology and the CARS section - both of which include a large amount of practice (something I've found largely lacking in the Kaplan books).

CARS:
http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Critical...d=1415678453&sr=8-1&keywords=mcat+cars+verbal

Psych/Soci:
http://www.amazon.com/MCAT-Psycholo...id=1415678461&sr=8-1&keywords=mcat+psychology

I'd recommend these because as @Continuum alluded to, the old MCAT books can still be and should be used for the new test. A lot of the content in the new Kaplan books is the same info that'd you find in TPR or TBR or EK or the old Kaplan books. But of course the old stuff doesn't dive into biochem as much as the new test will and it definitely doesn't touch on psych and soci. I'd say use a vast amount of materials from a vast amount of companies.

I bought the Kaplan 2015 set and their new flashcards. I plan to continue using EK question books for practice even though they were for the old exam. I'm going to look at Next Step books as I think Kaplan is great with content but really need as much practice as possible. That's the biggest concern I have for the 2015 exam is not enough practice materials out there. :/

What ever books you choose, DO NOT base your judgement on amazon's review sections. They are full of fake 5 stars and I know that because of "Purchased the book for my April 2015 test after I could not get a Jan date". This review was for TheNextStep 's CARS book.

What ever books you choose, DO NOT base your judgement on amazon's review sections. They are full of fake 5 stars and I know that because of "Purchased the book for my April 2015 test after I could not get a Jan date". This review was for TheNextStep 's CARS book.

Are you not looking to get a Jan date because they opened up seats?

I am not the one who wrote the quote, someone else on amazon did while writing the review. April seats aren't opened yet. I am just saying they are one of many fake reviews on amazon.

It's totally feasible though that someone bought it with the intention to take the exam in April 2015 as that's the closest testing time after Jan. The 2015 test is only running April to September so if they couldn't get a Jan seat, April is next.

Reactions: 1 user
Oops Sorry I thought I had seen "After I booked my April exam" in the quote. Anyways, I still don't trust amazon reviews. Their too long.;)

Oops Sorry I thought I had seen "After I booked my April exam" in the quote. Anyways, I still don't trust amazon reviews. Their too long.;)

I don't trust reviews on there too much either! I was supposed to take the January MCAT but due to having Hyperemesis Gravidum this pregnancy, I haven't been able to study. I am taking Spring & Summer semester off of school since I'm due in March and planning on studying for the new MCAT Jan-Aug and taking it before Fall semester classes start. I will probably use most of the books out there and I will post what I think. I'm no expert but at least you will know it's real!

Yeah, those reviews are most likely filler reviews. If you check out the profiles of the people who wrote the reviews, most of them (save 1 or 2) have written reviews only for that particular company's books.

They are quite helpful on SDN, though.

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hey everybody!! Good luck, and God bless to those who are indeed taking the test on this date!! For those who are scheduled to take the test on this date and have a change of heart or have friends that are having a change of heart, I'm asking if you'd contact me on here and let me know as I'm doing my best to gain a spot to take the MCAT in January 2015. If you can let me know before you cancel your test date, we could set it up so that when you cancel I'm potentially there to fill your spot on AAMC's test scheduling site. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

I have a set of EK 5th addition from before the computer test format. I'm wondering if I should buy a new set. Plan on using new tests for practice.

does anyone know what materials are available for the new mcat? i think TPR and Kaplan have a series out, but does TBR?

I saw EK just released a 9th edition but i'm not sure how helpful it would be. Almost everyone recommends EK books though so I might just buy that along with the Next Step books

^from what I've heard a lot of people are also recommending Kaplan. Also, I've seen NextStep (Bryan) post on a few threads recently, and he's recommended Kaplan full set as well.

I absolutly hated Kaplan. I got the books and IMO they make everything more complcated. I am studying PR now, I find them much better. But maybe I am missing something since everyone here likes kaplan?

yeah, I'm not a big fan of Kaplan's either - I think PR is better and TBR is probably the best even though it can be really hard. Wish they would announce the book release dates!