2016-17 Cycle and DPT-PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ryan30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for advice. If anyone could help me I'd be grateful.

Background:
cGPA: 3.55
Pre-req GPA between 3.1-3.4 depending on the DPT program (still taking pre-req courses, specifically Physics 1&2 which won't be finished until after my application is sent)

I'd love to get into Univ of North Texas or TWU. Played D1 basketball in undergrad and I'm credentialed as an RDN and CSCS. I'm also studying for the GREs and will likely get around a 155Q and 155V according to Magoosh.

I was wondering if anyone who has gone to UNT or TWU would like to address my chances of getting into these schools? Also, I don't want to put all of my eggs into one (two) basket(s) so I'm broadening out to more schools. I'm interested in potentially getting my PhD as well but I'd prefer something along the lines of kinesiology/exercise physiology or exercise rehabilitation. To date, I've only found that South Carolina offers this and it doesn't seem that I meet their requirements. Google doesn't give much information on the topic so I was wondering if anyone knows much about these types of programs? If I'm unable to get into a PhD fast track it obviously won't be the end of the world as I'm just hoping to get into DPT programs first.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm looking for advice. If anyone could help me I'd be grateful.

Background:
cGPA: 3.55
Pre-req GPA between 3.1-3.4 depending on the DPT program (still taking pre-req courses, specifically Physics 1&2 which won't be finished until after my application is sent)

I'd love to get into Univ of North Texas or TWU. Played D1 basketball in undergrad and I'm credentialed as an RDN and CSCS. I'm also studying for the GREs and will likely get around a 155Q and 155V according to Magoosh.

I was wondering if anyone who has gone to UNT or TWU would like to address my chances of getting into these schools? Also, I don't want to put all of my eggs into one (two) basket(s) so I'm broadening out to more schools. I'm interested in potentially getting my PhD as well but I'd prefer something along the lines of kinesiology/exercise physiology or exercise rehabilitation. To date, I've only found that South Carolina offers this and it doesn't seem that I meet their requirements. Google doesn't give much information on the topic so I was wondering if anyone knows much about these types of programs? If I'm unable to get into a PhD fast track it obviously won't be the end of the world as I'm just hoping to get into DPT programs first.

I think Emory has a dual DPT-PhD with Georgia Tech's Applied Physiology program.

Rutgers Newark has a dual DPT-Ph.D in health science/movement science

TWU is a pretty competitive program. I'm a student there and the year I started, average GPAs for accepted students were around 3.8. Someone told me the most recent class averaged closer to 3.9. I honestly think you'll need to raise your GPAs to be competitive for TWU. I don't know a lot about UNT but have heard it's not as competitive as TWU. I definitely recommend applying to a lot of schools to increase your chances. TWU does have a PhD fast track program in physical therapy.