2016-2017 Drexel University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We at Drexel University College of Medicine have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College. (200 words)

Optional: What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? Please use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application. (200 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Matriculating here! Good luck to all the applicants!! Feel free to message me with any questions!

Reactions: 3 users
This will be the first year of Drexel's new curriculum, Foundations and Frontiers, correct?
Is it really all that different from their previous model - are they just marketing it as being new and different?

Members don't see this ad :)
The questions are below:

We at Drexel University College of Medicine have a rich history and a valued mission. Each individual contributes to, supports and enriches our community. Please share with us how you plan on contributing to our College. (200 words)

Optional: What else do you feel is important for us to know about you? Please use this space to highlight something not addressed in your application. (200 words)

@WedgeDawg

The questions are below:

@WedgeDawg
Wow. What a nice secondary. You don't have to give a 3 page history of medicine from your perspective, write an autobiography, or explain quantum mechanics to a 3rd grader.

Nice going, Drexel! I wish there weren't so many applicants to the school, or I'd apply :(.

Reactions: 1 users
I wonder if you need to have LORs in to receive a secondary...submitted primary on first day.

I wonder if you need to have LORs in to receive a secondary...submitted primary on first day.
I also submitted on the first day and don't have my letters in. I also do not have the secondary.

I submitted on the first day too and I do have all of my letters in already but no secondary yet, so I don't think it matters. Everyone receives a secondary though so I'm sure we'll be getting ours soon!

Are you guys doing anything for the optional prompt? I debate so much over these ones...

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone else have a problem with the Academic History and Additional Information sections? It lists them as incomplete even though those sections are not applicable to me (no schools not on AMCAS and I am not a PA resident). Will it let me submit even though they are marked "incomplete"?

Did anyone else have a problem with the Academic History and Additional Information sections? It lists them as incomplete even though those sections are not applicable to me (no schools not on AMCAS and I am not a PA resident). Will it let me submit even though they are marked "incomplete"?

Does Drexel screen for secondaries? My AMCAS is verified but my letter won't be uploaded until August 1st at the latest (school premed committee procedures)

Does Drexel screen for secondaries? My AMCAS is verified but my letter won't be uploaded until August 1st at the latest (school premed committee procedures)

After we receive your verified application from AMCAS, we will send you the link to the online secondary application via email. All applicants receive a link to the secondary. It can take up to four weeks after AMCAS verification to receive Drexel's link to the secondary application. Please contact us if you feel that the link to your secondary application has not reached you in a timely manner. Please make sure to check all spam/junk folders. Please retain your ID and password, which will be sent to you with the link for the secondary application.

I assume not.

Can anyone please post this year's secondary once you receive! thank you :)

Can anyone please post this year's secondary once you receive! thank you :)
It's posted at the top:

Yes. The school knows about this problem and is working on fixing it. They don't know when it will be fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Anybody else who's verified, but hasn't received a secondary?

I was verified on June 7th at like 11:00 AM and I still don't have a secondary for two-thirds of my schools. These things take time. We just need to be patient.

I also didn't get a secondary yet (primary verified 6/29), but I'm in the trend of others who don't have their LORs in yet. I suspect it could be because of that, and/or they send them out in waves (it does say "up to four weeks to verify"). Anyway, I'm guessing most schools don't send anything out over the holiday weekend.

Secondary received. Verified 6/7. Just keep waiting!

Anyone else have the status page saying "Application has not been submitted." next to "Letters of Recommendation" and "Application Complete" even though at the top it says submitted? (received submitted email as well) I know that most portals of the sort update the LORs a few days after, but the whole "Application has not been submitted" thing is weird...

Received and submitted.. easiest Secondary yet

Anyone else have the status page saying "Application has not been submitted." next to "Letters of Recommendation" and "Application Complete" even though at the top it says submitted? (received submitted email as well) I know that most portals of the sort update the LORs a few days after, but the whole "Application has not been submitted" thing is weird...

Yes i have the same thing. At the bottom of the secondary email you got, it says "P.S. Letters of recommendation have not yet been loaded. You will receive an email from us when we have downloaded your letters and your file becomes complete"

So it'll all become complete once they upload those LORs.

It said somewhere in the email that "Application has not been submitted" actually means it isn't complete, i.e. they haven't gotten your letters assigned to your app just yet. It says it may take a few days but as long as it says "Secondary Submitted" you're golden!

For the question that says: "Please give details about any interruption or time away from your education. Detail your activities for each time period away from school (not including official breaks or summer vacations)."

Is this where we should talk about gap year(s) taken or are they talking about leaves of absences in particular?

For the question that says: "Please give details about any interruption or time away from your education. Detail your activities for each time period away from school (not including official breaks or summer vacations)."

Is this where we should talk about gap year(s) taken or are they talking about leaves of absences in particular?
This question?
If you graduated more than six months ago, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation.

I don't even see the question you are talking about.

This question?
If you graduated more than six months ago, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation.

I don't even see the question you are talking about.

There's a question in the Academic History section which says "Has your education to date been continuous?"

Since I graduated in May, I'm thinking I should tick "No" and write about what I will be doing during my gap year in the prompt that appears: "Please give details about any interruption or time away from your education. Detail your activities for each time period away from school (not including official breaks or summer vacations)."

Does that sound correct?

Does anybody know anything about the new curriculum. I know what is listed on the website but is it like block scheduling format now?

There's a question in the Academic History section which says "Has your education to date been continuous?"

Since I graduated in May, I'm thinking I should tick "No" and write about what I will be doing during my gap year in the prompt that appears: "Please give details about any interruption or time away from your education. Detail your activities for each time period away from school (not including official breaks or summer vacations)."

Does that sound correct?
Oh, sorry I understand now. From what I think, I would assume interruptions in schooling, not gap years. But I will let others chime in since I am not the person to ask. You could always call the admin office!

Oh, sorry I understand now. From what I think, I would assume interruptions in schooling, not gap years. But I will let others chime in since I am not the person to ask. You could always call the admin office!
I agree, I am taking a gap year but I interpreted this as interruptions in normal education (i.e. a semester off in the middle of college). So I answered yes to this question because my actual education has been continuous

I agree, I am taking a gap year but I interpreted this as interruptions in normal education (i.e. a semester off in the middle of college). So I answered yes to this question because my actual education has been continuous
You can also select no, and then just say even though my schooling was not interrupted, I did take a gap year...

That would do too.

Per info from the admissions office, this is the correct approach. You can address the gap year in the 'what you have been doing since graduation' question.

Per info from the admissions office, this is the correct approach. You can address the gap year in the 'what you have been doing since graduation' question.

That question after it asks "If you graduated more than six months ago, please tell us what you have been doing since graduation."

I graduated last month, and am taking a gap year during this application cycle, so I'm still a little unsure of how to proceed considering the info you provided from the admissions office.

I submitted a few days ago, now it's saying LORs are in but my MCAT score isn't (took in Jan, on AMCAS)? Anyone else seeing this?

I submitted a few days ago, now it's saying LORs are in but my MCAT score isn't (took in Jan, on AMCAS)? Anyone else seeing this?
Mine is showing as complete. Any chance you accidentally said you were retaking?

How are most people handling the optional essay?

I just updated on my summer internship which I couldn't put on the primary cause I hadn't started yet.

This is the first secondary that I did not use the optional essay component.

The reason I didn't is because it states to share something about yourself that isn't somewhere else in your app... I kinda feel like a "Why Drexel" isn't appropriate here because it's not really something about myself? Idk that was my take on it, but I'll admit I went back and forth for a few hours haha. Other schools have framed their optional questions more like... Is there anything else you want to say? Just my 2 cents!