2016-2017 MD/PhD applications - General Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
True. I've ran into other people from my interview though and they haven't heard anything either so praying this isnt the case. May be being overly optimistic though :/
Yeah I cannot be 100% certain because don't know which school you are talking about but, in general, most applicants are pushed to end of cycle w very limited early offers. That dosnt mean you won't be accepted-- keep them informed that you are still interested and provide major updates

Members don't see this ad.

How about contacting schools they have yet to reply after submitting a secondary? I have about nine schools that I submitted secondaries in July with no reply.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi- So i'm starting to get super anxious. I interviewed at a school a little over a month ago and was wondering how bad of an idea is it to call the admissions office to see when they will be notifying applicants of decisions. The school is rolling and they told us on the interview that we'd find out "weeks to months after" (which is incredibly vague haha). Someone please save me from myself or let me know that this isn't completely crazy lol

Hey friend! Easier said than done, but try not to be anxious. :) Some schools may only give out notifications on a certain date -- one of the schools where I interviewed last year told everyone we would find out in March, even when we interviewed in October. It was a long wait!! Other times, they'll let a few folks know early and then waitlist many others.

Even if the school you mentioned said they are "rolling," they may mean the latter as I described above, in that some applicants will know quickly and others (or oftentimes most) will be put on some version of a waitlist. As it looks like another SDN'er has mentioned, don't freak out if you are still waiting!!! Remember that many of those who get the early offers will end up getting many, many offers and might not end up at your school of interest in the end. It's a long, long cycle, but know that even if you're waiting until April 30 (my situation this past year), it can still work out for the best!

Did you follow-up with the program after your interview to express your interest? If not, this could be an appropriate time to do that. I would not suggest just emailing to ask when decisions will be handed out... although I doubt this is something that could actually hurt your admission, I suggest being craftier about it!

If you have not already contacted them, one idea is to send an "update of interest." This was something I used a lot last year to both reaffirm my interest in a school, show how I might fit in, and let them know what I was doing in my senior year of college. A typical letter of this format might express that you really enjoyed your interview experience, give them a specific researcher who you spoke with whose lab you'd love to learn more about because it's a great fit for you, and have maybe a sentence on any kind of update that you have (an award you've won since the interview, a talk you've given, etc).

The trick is to do the above in as few words possible (not like my posts ugh sorry lol I'm a chatterbox) so that programs don't have to read too much. :) The school may respond letting you know more information about where you stand. But if they do not readily provide you an update, I personally found that it was better not to ask. They likely do not know exactly when you personally would hear. With an update of interest, you have given them the chance to share information, but also opened the door for you to reaffirm your interest again later down the road and at that time ask for any updates on your status. A month is still pretty early out, but it's almost always a good idea to stick your foot in the door and show some interest if you haven't yet! That is, of course, just my personal suggestion and another option for you to consider. :)

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck to all!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How about contacting schools they have yet to reply after submitting a secondary? I have about nine schools that I submitted secondaries in July with no reply.

CONGRATULATIONS on your recent success!!! Really happy for you. :) Did you receive a confirmation when you submitted your secondary for each school? It is pretty normal to not hear from a good amount of schools for a while. Some may be "silent rejections," but others may still be considering your application. It's even possible to pick up interviews as late as say January/Feb, especially if you're silently on a "waitlist" and some applicants cancel their interviews upon other acceptances.

If you know they've received your secondary, my personal opinion is that it is likely not worth it to send an email just to see when you will hear from them. Patience is a virtue, and it is important to show programs that you understand and respect that tough decisions take time! But it may be worth considering an "update" if you have anything newsworthy (recent papers/publications/awards?) and then mention your personal interest in the program in the update. Most will reply to let you know that you are still under consideration, etc, and maybe when you might expect to hear. Some will not reply at all though (sorry). It's a beast of a waiting game!

Hang in there!!!

Hey friend! Easier said than done, but try not to be anxious. :) Some schools may only give out notifications on a certain date -- one of the schools where I interviewed last year told everyone we would find out in March, even when we interviewed in October. It was a long wait!! Other times, they'll let a few folks know early and then waitlist many others.

Even if the school you mentioned said they are "rolling," they may mean the latter as I described above, in that some applicants will know quickly and others (or oftentimes most) will be put on some version of a waitlist. As it looks like another SDN'er has mentioned, don't freak out if you are still waiting!!! Remember that many of those who get the early offers will end up getting many, many offers and might not end up at your school of interest in the end. It's a long, long cycle, but know that even if you're waiting until April 30 (my situation this past year), it can still work out for the best!

Did you follow-up with the program after your interview to express your interest? If not, this could be an appropriate time to do that. I would not suggest just emailing to ask when decisions will be handed out... although I doubt this is something that could actually hurt your admission, I suggest being craftier about it!

If you have not already contacted them, one idea is to send an "update of interest." This was something I used a lot last year to both reaffirm my interest in a school, show how I might fit in, and let them know what I was doing in my senior year of college. A typical letter of this format might express that you really enjoyed your interview experience, give them a specific researcher who you spoke with whose lab you'd love to learn more about because it's a great fit for you, and have maybe a sentence on any kind of update that you have (an award you've won since the interview, a talk you've given, etc).

The trick is to do the above in as few words possible (not like my posts ugh sorry lol I'm a chatterbox) so that programs don't have to read too much. :) The school may respond letting you know more information about where you stand. But if they do not readily provide you an update, I personally found that it was better not to ask. They likely do not know exactly when you personally would hear. With an update of interest, you have given them the chance to share information, but also opened the door for you to reaffirm your interest again later down the road and at that time ask for any updates on your status. A month is still pretty early out, but it's almost always a good idea to stick your foot in the door and show some interest if you haven't yet! That is, of course, just my personal suggestion and another option for you to consider. :)

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck to all!!

Thanks! I sent thank you emails to each of my interviewers where I expressed my enthusiasm and got back seemingly positive responses (but they could have just been being nice lol). However, I didn't get a chance to meet the director of the program while i was there (I don't think he talked to many of the interviewers) if that is who I should send an update of interest letter to. I have no real updates- i've been gone a lot because of interviews haha. Looks like i just need to be patient!

An update on 2017 cycle...

There are 1780 MD/PhD applicants and, thus far, only 125 of them have received at least one MD/PhD acceptance. In prior years, around 750 applicants receive at least one MD/PhD acceptance, therefore, just 16.7% have got one... as a famous QB said to his team's fans ----> "R-E-L-A-X" it is very early in the season. Many schools have not even given an MD/PhD acceptance.

Reactions: 4 users
Just discovered this thread but figured I'd attempt to reply to a couple of questions that haven't been answered yet...

Anyone else get this on Miami portal?

Your Application has been reviewed by the MD/PhD Admissions Committee at the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine. Applicants who are shortlisted for an interview will be contacted via email to schedule an interview. Our interview dates are November 1st, December 13th and January 31st, 2014.

**Edit: regardless if this message is good/bad/generic, they need to update their year!!

I have the same message on my portal. I received an II from Miami this Monday and was initially given an I date of 12/9/16, but had to reschedule for 2/3/17 (the next date they are interviewing). Hopefully this clears things up.

Should we assume that most schools have already filled up most of their interview slots by now? If I'm not mistaken most deadlines have already past and I still have nine schools I haven't heard from (just radio silence). In other words should i give up hope for more interviews? From what ive heard most will just wait to reject at end of the cycle anyways.

Can confirm they are still sending out interview slots! I received 2 last week and 3 this week, and from the Application Interview Invites thread, it seems that many others are still receiving IIs through November as well. I am still waiting to hear back from ~5 schools (I am somewhat of a "late" applicant though, completed secondaries in Sept/Oct - not sure if this info helps at all). Most of my interviews (from this week and last) have been scheduled for January, and I know there are quite a few schools that interview out until March, so I wouldn't give up hope just yet!

Anyone know if the majority of schools give out rolling acceptances or if they wait until the spring? I interviewed at OHSU last month and they said they will only be sending out acceptances to 1 or 2 "extremely qualified" candidates as early as Dec/Jan, and that everyone else will be put on hold until Feb/March, after they've completed all of their interviews. Just hoping to get a general idea of when I might hear back from schools.

Anyone know if the majority of schools give out rolling acceptances or if they wait until the spring? I interviewed at OHSU last month and they said they will only be sending out acceptances to 1 or 2 "extremely qualified" candidates as early as Dec/Jan, and that everyone else will be put on hold until Feb/March, after they've completed all of their interviews. Just hoping to get a general idea of when I might hear back from schools.

MD/PhD programs (based on my interviews/ websites /SDN) generally follow the same model with some variations:

In general, the schools interview until early next year and then have a ranking meeting with the committee. Spots are then offered to top-ranked applicants. Then, March-April is usually a crazy game of musical chairs in which spots open up. Offers are then given as available. May 1 is the start of the official waitlist because, by this time, applicants can only hold on to one acceptance per traffic rules.

variation 1: as you mentioned, some schools will offer some rolling spots early in the season. These are usually reserved for applicants the schools really like. Most will be put on hold until the ranking later in season. (I think the great majority of schools use this system)

variation 2: same as #1, but schools are a lot more liberal with their rolling decisions

variation 3: some schools like the Tri-I have a system that is a little more reflective of undergrad admissions with a set admissions date. Overall the process is a little less fluid than other schools and have more concrete "accept", "rejected", "waitlist" decisions given on the same date.

Others can chime in, but this is how I generalize the process based on the wide range of schools I applied to! A lot of it has to do with a school's competitiveness and size.

I applied as graduating in 2017 with a Bachelor of Science and a minor. But now I am thinking about dropping a class next semester (Biochemistry) to save myself from final, and have more time doing research during the semester. But dropping the class will make me end up with a Bachelor of Arts and with no minor. I understand that B.S. or B.A. probably won't make a difference in the future. However, do I need to notify schools that I have applied to? Will it negatively impact my application?

I applied as graduating in 2017 with a Bachelor of Science and a minor. But now I am thinking about dropping a class next semester (Biochemistry) to save myself from final, and have more time doing research during the semester. But dropping the class will make me end up with a Bachelor of Arts and with no minor. I understand that B.S. or B.A. probably won't make a difference in the future. However, do I need to notify schools that I have applied to? Will it negatively impact my application?
Check to make sure that the schools you applied to don't have a biochem requirement before dropping the course (many do). I'm guessing you don't want to spend the summer after graduation taking an accelerated biochem course, so taking it next semester may be the better option. BS vs BA probably won't make a difference, but they are technically different degrees, so you will need to notify the schools.

Check to make sure that the schools you applied to don't have a biochem requirement before dropping the course (many do). I'm guessing you don't want to spend the summer after graduation taking an accelerated biochem course, so taking it next semester may be the better option. BS vs BA probably won't make a difference, but they are technically different degrees, so you will need to notify the schools.
By Biochem I meant Biochem II, I already took Biochem I.

Thanks for the reply! I may reconsider dropping the class then.

This thread is for miscellaneous questions and discussion. For example, below is the almost final status of last year's (2016) cycle.

The national MD/PhD interview calendar is located at:
https://calendar.google.com/calendar/[email protected]
It has been updated for the 2016-17 cycle that technically is known as 2017 cycle for AMCAS and most medical schools.

........................................... from 08/27/16
Total MD/PhD Applicants - 1902
Withdrew before acceptance (WB) - 10
Currently rejected (RJ, PW, PR, NA) - 1108
Alternate List (AL) - 0
Total MD/PhD Acceptances - 784 (at least one MD/PhD acceptance)
Withdrew after acceptance (WA) - 112
Defer to future year (DF) - 24
Rescinded acceptance (RA) - 2
Matriculated MD/PhD class (MA) - 586
Pending matriculation (AC) - 60
Total potential matriculating MD/PhD class - 646

The MD/PhD class starting in 2016 is the largest ever! The success rate (784/1902) for at least one MD/PhD acceptance was 41.2%.

For the 2017 cycle (or 2016-17) reports would be available until a few days from now.

Withdrew before acceptance (WB) - 50
Currently rejected (RJ, PW, PR) - 790
Alternate List (AL) - 13
Being considered (NA, HO, OT, RS, IN) - 698
Total MD/PhD Acceptances - 252 (at least one MD/PhD acceptance)
Withdrew after acceptance (WA) - 2
Defer to future year (DF) - 0
Rescinded acceptance (RA) - 0
Matriculated MD/PhD class (MA) - 0

Only about 1/3 of the applicants who will receive a MD/PhD acceptance this cycle, have already received at least one MD/PhD acceptance.
By February, it would be about 2/3 ... Several schools have not given even a single MD/PhD acceptance. R-E-L-A-X...

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a general question for the general questions thread: How's everybody doing/feeling?!

For me, it's just hit recently that I might have to make some tough choices, and that's a little scary. The best part of this whole process, though, has been getting to meet other applicants. It's clear there are tons of honestly great people from all over the place. Regardless of wherever we end up, the last month or so has made me really hopeful about the future of medicine. Happy New Year, folks, and see you in 2017. :)

Congratulations to all of you who have found a future home... If you have other program acceptances, and you already have decided to attend a program with a better fit for you, just decline them. Right now, only ~45% of the applicants who will be getting at least one MD/PhD acceptance, have receive one. The big day with a lot of movement is around March 15, when every program must extend at least the number of acceptances that they are expecting to matriculate (traffic rules). Please also know that beginning in February 10, admission officers will know your other acceptances. Every year, we see some few people (~50) holding more than half dozen acceptances, some even 10 or more. Making though decisions is an important aspect of the character of an applicant...

Congratulations to all of you who have found a future home... If you have other program acceptances, and you already have decided to attend a program with a better fit for you, just decline them. Right now, only ~45% of the applicants who will be getting at least one MD/PhD acceptance, have receive one. The big day with a lot of movement is around March 15, when every program must extend at least the number of acceptances that they are expecting to matriculate (traffic rules). Please also know that beginning in February 10, admission officers will know your other acceptances. Every year, we see some few people (~50) holding more than half dozen acceptances, some even 10 or more. Making though decisions is an important aspect of the character of an applicant...

On the February 10th date, will admissions officers be able to see whether or not you have been accepted to MD/PhD vs. only MD? n=1, but in some of the programs that I've interviewed at for MD/PhD, I've been accepted into the MD only part but have received radio silence about the MD/PhD part.

On the national list, the acceptances for each applicant are listed in the following manner: MD admissions are marked with (1) and MD/PhD with (8). There are other program admission processes for each school. You can have a mixture of all of them. If you were interviewed by that MD/PhD program, but have had no response, it means that you are in the waitlist/still running. If you haven't been invited for interview by now, it is likely a rejection.

On the national list, the acceptances for each applicant are listed in the following manner: MD admissions are marked with (1) and MD/PhD with (8). There are other program admission processes for each school. You can have a mixture of all of them. If you were interviewed by that MD/PhD program, but have had no response, it means that you are in the waitlist/still running. If you haven't been invited for interview by now, it is likely a rejection.

Are schools able to see the offers we have turned down as well as the ones that we are currently holding?

Schools can only see your active acceptances. Once you withdraw an acceptance and that school changes the admissions status in the AAMC database, it disappears from the list of your acceptances.

As of the end of January, there were 422 applicants with at least one MD/PhD acceptances, only 7 out of them have withdrawn after their MD/PhD acceptance(s). This is about 54% of the eventual number of applicants who will receive at least one MD/PhD acceptance. For comparison, in 2016, there were 785 applicants with at least one MD/PhD acceptance out of 1903 applicants, but 111 applicants withdrew after their MD/PhD acceptance(s), 23 applicants deferred for future time, and 2 MD/PhD acceptances were rescinded resulting in 649 applicants matriculating in MD/PhD programs.

Can all schools see offers after Feb 10 or only the schools that have given you an offer? (just double checking because I have seen conflicting info on SDN)

As of the end of January, there were 422 applicants with at least one MD/PhD acceptances, only 7 out of them have withdrawn after their MD/PhD acceptance(s). This is about 54% of the eventual number of applicants who will receive at least one MD/PhD acceptance. For comparison, in 2016, there were 785 applicants with at least one MD/PhD acceptance out of 1903 applicants, but 111 applicants withdrew after their MD/PhD acceptance(s), 23 applicants deferred for future time, and 2 MD/PhD acceptances were rescinded resulting in 649 applicants matriculating in MD/PhD programs.

@Fencer Do you have any idea of what the ~100 people who withdraw after an MD/PhD acceptance every year do? My initial guess is that most of them would enter MD or PhD programs, but it just seems crazy that ~1/7 people who get accepted would withdraw their application.

Also, how on earth did 2 people manage to get their acceptances rescinded? Wouldn't you have to do something really serious for that to happen?

I don't know the specifics of the rescinded acceptances. Every year, nationally, we have one to two; occasionally, none. Regarding the WA (withdraw after MD/PhD acceptance), the overwhelming majority is to MD programs, but a few are to PhD programs. In my personal experience, I have seen applicants pull-out from several MSTPs (and my program) to pursue a MD program at UCLA, UCSF, Harvard, Michigan, UTSW, and other programs. I have also seen a few WA to pursue, for example, a PhD in chemical engineering.

Hey @Fencer , question for you:

When writing the significant research experiences essay is it better to use more narrative and some reflection, or should it be more matter-of-fact/cold/professional? I feel like the 10,000 character limit gives me the chance to "interview" before an II if I take that more narrative approach but I also don't want to alienate an adcom with an exceptionally long essay. I've been told that my voice comes across very strongly in my writing and when writing my senior thesis, one of my reviewers (a physiology professor) even commented that it felt like I was sitting down in the room and explaining it to them. This seems like it could be either a positive or a negative, and I'm just curious how this would look from your side of the fence.

Each essay is different, and should reflect your own personal narrative (i.e.: your story) that got you to aspire becoming a clinician-scientist. The research experiences should be emphasizing the search for the hypothesis, experimental design and what you learned about. Focusing on techniques too much might be seem to indicate that you are more of a technician, rather than budding scientist. I personally like more narrative approaches for essays, but for research experience, you could use a more bullet approach. If you presented abstracts or completed manuscripts, go on an place the correct citation indicating the names (bold yours) of the contributors.

Can all schools see offers after Feb 10 or only the schools that have given you an offer? (just double checking because I have seen conflicting info on SDN)
Only schools where you hold an open offer can see your other open offers. Once you decline an offer, that school will disappear from the list.

Each essay is different, and should reflect your own personal narrative (i.e.: your story) that got you to aspire becoming a clinician-scientist. The research experiences should be emphasizing the search for the hypothesis, experimental design and what you learned about. Focusing on techniques too much might be seem to indicate that you are more of a technician, rather than budding scientist. I personally like more narrative approaches for essays, but for research experience, you could use a more bullet approach. If you presented abstracts or completed manuscripts, go on an place the correct citation indicating the names (bold yours) of the contributors.

Thank you!

I don't know the specifics of the rescinded acceptances. Every year, nationally, we have one to two; occasionally, none. Regarding the WA (withdraw after MD/PhD acceptance), the overwhelming majority is to MD programs, but a few are to PhD programs. In my personal experience, I have seen applicants pull-out from several MSTPs (and my program) to pursue a MD program at UCLA, UCSF, Harvard, Michigan, UTSW, and other programs. I have also seen a few WA to pursue, for example, a PhD in chemical engineering.

Thank you! Just curious because that seemed like a higher percentage of WAs than I expected.

Thank you! Just curious because that seemed like a higher percentage of WAs than I expected.
I, too, was surprised the first time I saw the number of applicants that turned down MD-PhD offers. At our program, we have 2 or 3 every year that decline our offer to do the MD at Harvard. A similar number decline MD-PhD offers at other schools to do the MD at our school. They were not accepted by our MD-PhD initially, and about half of them will apply to transfer into the program during the first two years of med school.

@Fencer, should we expect to hear back an admit/waitlist/reject decision from everywhere we interviewed by March 15?

Yes. There are now 583 applicants who have at least one MD/PhD acceptance. That number should rise by another 200 in the next 75 days.

Most of the movement in the waitlist occurs in the month of April, but even during the first 2 weeks of May, there will be some more...

Regarding waitlists, if a school gives you the option to be put on either the MD/PhD waitlist only or on both MD and MD/PhD waitlists, would you be less likely to be accepted to the MD/PhD program by choosing the latter option?

I really like one of the schools that gives this option, and was considering choosing to be put on both MD and MD/PhD waitlists, as I could apply internally to add a PhD if accepted as an MD only. However, I do not know whether Program Directors 1) would see my willingness to "settle" for an MD only in a favorable light, and 2) decide to disregard a bid to the MD/PhD if they could simply admit me to the MD program.

I've searched the forum for advice on the above, but it appears as though posts are only limited to advice regarding applying to both MD and MD/PhD programs, but none that I found discussed the issue once you get through the interview process and onto the waitlist.

Thank you!

There are now 583 applicants who have at least one MD/PhD acceptance. That number should rise by another 200 in the next 75 days.

So 1/4 of all eventual accepted applicants don't receive their first acceptance until March/April? I don't know if I should find this comforting or panic-inducing.

What are the chances of getting off some of the top 10 waitlists? I am specifically talking about Yale and Columbia

I called Yale's MD PhD office to ask about WL movement and they didn't give me a lot of specifics - just that they have to wait to see who accepts their acceptances. So everyone that knows they definitely aren't going to Yale with an acceptance please withdraw! :p

Currently I have an acceptance to one MSTP program, and am on the waitlist at three others. As expected, the program where I am accepted requires notification by April 30th (the matriculation decision deadline according to AAMC).
  1. In light of this, can you be pulled off the waitlist for other programs after this deadline?
  2. And if you are, what is the appropriate way to handle this situation as you will have likely had to declare intent to the program where you are accepted as to not lose what was the only spot available to you at that time?

1. yes. After May 15, they need to notify the school that you are accepted prior to offering a spot out from the waitlist. Once matriculated, you are done.
2. they know... no need to notify. If it happens, you will need to make a decision in 2 days.

Update on 2017 MD/PhD cycle, this is the best placement for MD/PhD applicants:

........................................... from 03/14/17
Total MD/PhD Applicants - 1807
Withdrew before acceptance (WB) - 17
Currently rejected (RJ, PW, PR, NA,HO,OT,RS) - 1167
Total MD/PhD Acceptances - 611 (at least one MD/PhD acceptance)
Withdrew after acceptance (WA) - 15
Defer to future year (DF) - 1
Rescinded acceptance (RA) - 0
Total potential matriculating MD/PhD class - 595

The acceptance will start crawling in and eventually, as people make decisions, the total acceptances should rise to about 775 applicants.

If you didn''t interview, plan for next cycle...
If you interviewed, there is a lot of hope, programs are still hoping for best case scenarios, and invariably reality will hit us, having to extend acceptance to applicants who truly match (and belong) in our programs. There is a lot of movement in the waitlists in April and even the first week of May.

Hi @Fencer, when you say "relatively early interview program", what do you mean? That you interview through December?
Sorry for poorly wording that. When I wrote that, I meant that even for my program, which is an early-interview (we start interviewing in August), we still had 10 interview slots available. Clearly, today, our interview cycle has been completed.

Hi Folks,
I am looking for some opinions...
I only had one MSTP interview this season and am holding out a glimmer of hope. I found out that I will be presenting my research at a conference in a couple of weeks and want to share this news with said school, but I sent an update about a new publication 3 weeks ago. I don't want to be a pest or come off as desperate as I am, but given where we are in the cycle I don't want to wait the recommended 6 weeks. Any brilliant thoughts about how to navigate this situation?

Hi Folks,
I am looking for some opinions...
I only had one MSTP interview this season and am holding out a glimmer of hope. I found out that I will be presenting my research at a conference in a couple of weeks and want to share this news with said school, but I sent an update about a new publication 3 weeks ago. I don't want to be a pest or come off as desperate as I am, but given where we are in the cycle I don't want to wait the recommended 6 weeks. Any brilliant thoughts about how to navigate this situation?
Perhaps have few others chime in, but I doubt they will be annoyed as long as you keep the email very short. However, I also doubt an additional presentation will really be a deal breaker either way at this point. I am hoping for the best for you!

Hi all I would appreacite some opinions about the likelihood of me getting in MD/PhD this cycle. I interviewed at 7 MD/PhD programs and have been waitlisted at 5. Still waiting to hear back from 2. Is anyone in a smilar situations? Is this the norm ? I am feeling extremely anxious as I know all of you are.

As I indicated in prior years, a MD/PhD match would be less stressful to candidates and to program directors. Four of my 5 currently accepted applicants are holding 5 acceptances. This is what is common at this point. People will be making decisions in the next 3-4 weeks. Deadline to decline other acceptances and choose one program is April 30. I think that you have a very good chance, unfortunately, it might take up to 6 weeks from today. PM me with details if you want to discuss.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all I would appreacite some opinions about the likelihood of me getting in MD/PhD this cycle. I interviewed at 7 MD/PhD programs and have been waitlisted at 5. Still waiting to hear back from 2. Is anyone in a smilar situations? Is this the norm ? I am feeling extremely anxious as I know all of you are.
I like your chances of getting a offer. Seven programs saw you as being competitive for an interview; that is a good sign. Unless you bombed all the interviews, there is a good chance that at least one of the schools will make a waitlist offer. From data presented a few years ago, I believe that 85% of individuals who get at least one MD-PhD interview will get an acceptance.

As I indicated in prior years, a MD/PhD match would be less stressful to candidates and to program directors. Four of my 5 currently accepted applicants are holding 5 acceptances. This is what is common at this point. People will be making decisions in the next 3-4 weeks. Deadline to decline other acceptances and choose one program is April 30. I think that you have a very good chance, unfortunately, it might take up to 6 weeks from today. PM me with details if you want to discuss.
Thank you very much for your response and advice!

I like your chances of getting a offer. Seven programs saw you as being competitive for an interview; that is a good sign. Unless you bombed all the interviews, there is a good chance that at least one of the schools will make a waitlist offer. From data presented a few years ago, I believe that 85% of individuals who get at least one MD-PhD interview will get an acceptance.
Thanks for the advice! However, I know my application is lacking on the "MD" side as well as a subpar MCAT score, which is why I am anxious about getting of the waitlist. Nevertheless, patience is imperative at this point.