DAT 2016 DAT and 2016 Math Destroyer Raffle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We are delighted to participate again in SDN's annual Test Prep Week.

We will be offering the 2016 DAT/Math Destroyer Combo Package

Winners will be chosen from amongst those who ask questions or otherwise contribute meaningfully to discussion.”

Good luck to all!

Dr. Jim Romano And Nancy Steen

2016 destroyer.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Student doctor network will select the winner from all eligible entries. SDN will notify the winner to obtain shipping information. Once we receive the winners information we will ship the same day.

Hi, have two questions.

1. How do you come up with those biology questions?
2. Are you planning on making books for the PAT and RC sections of the DAT?

Thank you.

Dear Dr. Romano and the staff,

I have heard great things about the destroyer, as well as the bootcamp. I have a couple of questions:
1. What are the advantages of taking the bootcamp vs. purchasing books, and studying by yourself?
2. Any particular strategy for studying and acing the DAT?
3. Do you have a raw % of people who get above 19 on DAT?
4. What is one advice you would give to someone who is about to start the prep?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

What inspired you to create this incredible resource that has now been deemed the holy grail of study materials for dental students as well as for students of other science/medical-based disciplines?

Hi Dr. Romano,

How much time do you recommend for studying for the DAT? Is it possible to adequately prepare in, say, 6-8 weeks? Also, what do you think is the most helpful tip for someone just starting test prep?

Thanks!

Hello Ms. Steen,
Thank you for the message; it touched my heart. So when I get my really high DAT score, I'll remember to tell everyone, "You definitely need to get the newest edition of Destroyer if you want to rock the DAT. Guess what else? I won the raffle on SDN." :)

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the questions! It has been a VERY busy day and I promise to answer all the questions later tonight or tomorrow!

Nancy

Hi, have two questions.

1. How do you come up with those biology questions?
2. Are you planning on making books for the PAT and RC sections of the DAT?

Thank you.
Dr. Romano has 25 plus years working with students preparing for the DAT. He uses the ADA guidelines and carefully develops problems with detailed solutions that take you through an enormous amount of material. The DAT Destroyer Biology is for learning , it is not intended for timing.

Yes we are in the beginning stages of developing PAT and Reading, we do not have an anticipated date at this time.

Hope this answers your questions..

Nancy

Hello Ms. Steen,
Thank you for the message; it touched my heart. So when I get my really high DAT score, I'll remember to tell everyone, "You definitely need to get the newest edition of Destroyer if you want to rock the DAT. Guess what else? I won the raffle on SDN." :)

Thanks for the message "QB",I will be very happy and excited to hear about your success on the DAT! Know the Destroyer cold!

Nancy

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Dr. Romano,

How much time do you recommend for studying for the DAT? Is it possible to adequately prepare in, say, 6-8 weeks? Also, what do you think is the most helpful tip for someone just starting test prep?

Thanks!
Hello DuckDS,

Thanks for the question and it's not an easy one to answer. If you have a strong foundation and a lot of free time to dedicate to studies 6-8 weeks will work. A student with a weak foundation or perhaps a student that has been away from the subjects for a while, will have to put in a lot of hours reviewing the basics. All depends on the student.

The most helpful tip I give any student is,

" Do NOT take the DAT until you are fully prepared", rushing to take the DAT often leads to less than desirable results.

Nancy

Dear Dr. Romano and the staff,

I have heard great things about the destroyer, as well as the bootcamp. I have a couple of questions:
1. What are the advantages of taking the bootcamp vs. purchasing books, and studying by yourself?
2. Any particular strategy for studying and acing the DAT?
3. Do you have a raw % of people who get above 19 on DAT?
4. What is one advice you would give to someone who is about to start the prep?

Thank you so much!
I can't comment on other products because we only use our materials in our classroom. The DAT Destroyer is a teaching book used for learning. It is not intended for timing. Our philosophy has always been if you know the materials you will have enough time, if you don't know the material, all the time in the world will not help you. I do not have a raw score. Best advice I can give is take the DAT very seriously. It is a VERY challenging test with many different versions, so don't make the mistake taking the DAT without being fully prepared. The DAT Beast is fully armed so you should be too!

Nancy

Hello DuckDS,

Thanks for the question and it's not an easy one to answer. If you have a strong foundation and a lot of free time to dedicate to studies 6-8 weeks will work. A student with a weak foundation or perhaps a student that has been away from the subjects for a while, will have to put in a lot of hours reviewing the basics. All depends on the student.

The most helpful tip I give any student is,

" Do NOT take the DAT until you are fully prepared", rushing to take the DAT often leads to less than desirable results.

Nancy

Thanks for the reply! I have a pretty solid foundation, but I am most likely going to spend a bulk of the summer preparing for the exam.

Thanks for the reply! I have a pretty solid foundation, but I am most likely going to spend a bulk of the summer preparing for the exam.
Excellent! Shoot for 30's, why not? Feel free to post questions either in the DAT forum when you are preparing and we will be happy to answer!

Good luck in the raffle and the DAT!

Nancy

Members don't see this ad :)
Excellent! Shoot for 30's, why not? Feel free to post questions either in the DAT forum when you are preparing and we will be happy to answer!

Good luck in the raffle and the DAT!

Nancy

Thanks! I will definitely be reaching out on SDN when I have questions :)

Hi,

What inspired you to create this incredible resource that has now been deemed the holy grail of study materials for dental students as well as for students of other science/medical-based disciplines?
We prepared students for the DAT for many years using our own materials and notes. Our students always scored very high on the DAT. Our local NYC students told students about us in other states and we received many requests for our materials. Dr. Romano and I discussed the possibility of putting his work in book form. We began the project in early 2004 and the first Destroyer was released March 2006

Hi Dr. Romano, is the end of August too late to take the DAT? Also, do you give a discount for Pre-Dental Club students?

Have you noticed any notable trends in dental education or expectations for applicants since starting your work with aspiring dentists?

I would imagine that your extensive experience with DAT prep and dentistry would provide you with a valuable perspective of the field and the educational pathway.

Thank you very much for all that you do, and please keep up the excellent work.

Have you noticed any notable trends in dental education or expectations for applicants since starting your work with aspiring dentists?

I would imagine that your extensive experience with DAT prep and dentistry would provide you with a valuable perspective of the field and the educational pathway.

Thank you very much for all that you do, and please keep up the excellent work.
I have found that in the past 30 years a trend has developed to recruit a student that is more well rounded. Besides grades, and DAT scores, schools are looking at experience such as dental shadowing, community service, and personal statements as well as diversity. The dentist of tomorrow must be able to deal with many issues, and indeed times have changed. The road ahead is very bright. If you Google dental career, you will be quite pleased.

The dental field is booming. Friend Henry Schein on Facebook to learn more exciting details. Polymer chemists have developed new materials, ceramicists have developed more aesthetic teeth, material chemists have improved the size and strength of dental implants. Schein has improved on Digital X-ray technology. The generation of today is quite demanding, and the entire dental field has been revolutionized, and growing stronger !

Dr. Romano

Hi Dr. Romano, is the end of August too late to take the DAT? Also, do you give a discount for Pre-Dental Club students?
We gave 180 students studying for the DAT this summer. Our class ends mid August and students who meet the qualifications(high DAT,Good GPA, etc), will receive interviews and acceptances. The focus should be scoring high on the DAT, rather than the time line when to take it.

We do offer discounts directly to pre-dental clubs and work with many across the country. Have you someone contact me directly for details.

Good luck in your studies and on the DAT...Nancy

Hi, Nancy: I've heard a lot of great things about the Destroyer! Many people scoring 23+. I was wondering if you have a recommended study schedule with the Destroyer, or just the 40 questions/day that people recommend.

Is it better to use the math problems in the reg destroyer first before moving onto math destroyer to avoid memorizing problems if you must go through math destroyer 2x to work on timing? Thanks!

Also, how do I enter said raffle?

I have found that in the past 30 years a trend has developed to recruit a student that is more well rounded. Besides grades, and DAT scores, schools are looking at experience such as dental shadowing, community service, and personal statements as well as diversity. The dentist of tomorrow must be able to deal with many issues, and indeed times have changed. The road ahead is very bright. If you Google dental career, you will be quite pleased.

The dental field is booming. Friend Henry Schein on Facebook to learn more exciting details. Polymer chemists have developed new materials, ceramicists have developed more aesthetic teeth, material chemists have improved the size and strength of dental implants. Schein has improved on Digital X-ray technology. The generation of today is quite demanding, and the entire dental field has been revolutionized, and growing stronger !

Dr. Romano

Thanks for the insight, Dr. Romano. I hope you and the rest of your fans are having an excellent day :)

Hi, Nancy: I've heard a lot of great things about the Destroyer! Many people scoring 23+. I was wondering if you have a recommended study schedule with the Destroyer, or just the 40 questions/day that people recommend.

Is it better to use the math problems in the reg destroyer first before moving onto math destroyer to avoid memorizing problems if you must go through math destroyer 2x to work on timing? Thanks!

Also, how do I enter said raffle?
Hi Skedaddle,

You are entered in the raffle just by asking a question. All students are different and no one study plan will work for all. 40 questions a day sounds reasonable if you have a good foundation. The DAT Destroyer is for learning not timing. The Math Destroyer was developed so it can be used for timing if you wish. Just get through all the work until you feel comfortable, doesn't matter how many times it takes. The goal is to Destroy that DAT..It is VERY important you go in prepared, if not the DAT Beast will eat you for dinner.

Wishing you the best on the DAT and in the raffle.

Nancy

I'm interested in a DDS/DMD and possibly of getting into the academia aspect of it. With that in mind, and based on your experience, are there any particular schools in the country you would recommed more highly than others?

I'm interested in a DDS/DMD and possibly of getting into the academia aspect of it. With that in mind, and based on your experience, are there any particular schools in the country you would recommed more highly than others?

We deal with schools throughout the country and students like them for various reasons. All of them are great and it is an individual choice each student needs to research.

Dr. Romano

Dr. Romano has 25 plus years working with students preparing for the DAT. He uses the ADA guidelines and carefully develops problems with detailed solutions that take you through an enormous amount of material. The DAT Destroyer Biology is for learning , it is not intended for timing.

Yes we are in the beginning stages of developing PAT and Reading, we do not have an anticipated date at this time.

Nancy

Thank you so much, Nancy. Would you say that strong DAT score overcomes poor GPA? In some schools, there is much easier to get higher grades compared to others. What is your opinion on it?

Nancy
I would love you to come up with PAT as many say that it is the hardest section out of all.

We gave 180 students studying for the DAT this summer. Our class ends mid August and students who meet the qualifications(high DAT,Good GPA, etc), will receive interviews and acceptances. The focus should be scoring high on the DAT, rather than the time line when to take it.

We do offer discounts directly to pre-dental clubs and work with many across the country. Have you someone contact me directly for details.

Good luck in your studies and on the DAT...Nancy
Yes, I am done with all pre-reqs,. Will be studying all summer and take it at th end of it. Thanks for the answer

Thank you so much, Nancy. Would you say that strong DAT score overcomes poor GPA? In some schools, there is much easier to get higher grades compared to others. What is your opinion on it?
High DAT scores definitely help, but depending on how low the GPA is even the highest DAT score will not compensate. Some schools are more forgiving on a lower GPA than others.

We prepared students for the DAT for many years using our own materials and notes. Our students always scored very high on the DAT. Our local NYC students told students about us in other states and we received many requests for our materials. Dr. Romano and I discussed the possibility of putting his work in book form. We began the project in early 2004 and the first Destroyer was released March 2006

Thank you so much for replying. I've actually heard from a prior student of yours recently. She highly suggested the course to me for the summer, however I currently live in New Jersey so commuting would be a problem. I know that it would have been an amazing experience though. Much respect to you and Dr. Romano for all the support you give to students!

Nancy,

If Dr. Romano catches a student texting in his class, does he get thrown out for good?

~mr. texter

Dr. Romano/Nancy,

I currently have the 2014 version of Math and DAT Destroyers (so, of course this raffle would be nice :D), but what exactly are the distinct differences between the 2014 and 2016 versions of the material other than just the number of questions per section (i.e., specific changes to biology/math/chems, etc.)?

Thanks

Dr. Romano/Nancy,

I currently have the 2014 version of Math and DAT Destroyers (so, of course this raffle would be nice :D), but what exactly are the distinct differences between the 2014 and 2016 versions of the material other than just the number of questions per section (i.e., specific changes to biology/math/chems, etc.)?

Thanks

2016 Destroyer
Orgo 321
bio 592
gen chem 357
math 153

Plus Orgo Roadmaps and 25 most asked Organic Chemistry Reactions

2016 Destroyer
Orgo 321
bio 592
gen chem 357
math 153

Plus Orgo Roadmaps and 25 most asked Organic Chemistry Reactions
Reading all these things get me so excited! I hope I win the ruffle! :) Can't wait to get my hands on DAT prep!

Hi Dr. Romano/Nancy!

Is there a particular reason behind the hexagon destroyer emblem? Is it Benzene? Why the color red? Is it to instill confidence and aggression when destroying the problems? ;) In all seriousness, I thank you for this opportunity and can't wait to crush the exam this July!!

Hi Dr. Romano/Nancy, what percentage of questions that are in 2013 edition vs 2016 edition show up on the real DAT?

Hello Dr. Romano/Nancy, how do you suggest we use these books to gain the most out of them?