2016 Destroyer - OC #58

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

super frank

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had a question regarding #56 OC from the 2016 Destroyer. I don't understand how structure I is chiral... Aren't there two hydrogens bonded to the C (same as IV)? Therefore it wouldn't have an enantiomer and the total number of products would be 5?

Members don't see this ad.

I just had a question regarding #56 OC from the 2016 Destroyer. I don't understand how structure I is chiral... Aren't there two hydrogens bonded to the C (same as IV)? Therefore it wouldn't have an enantiomer and the total number of products would be 5?

You were bagged !!! Look closer.... you missed the trick. I is indeed chiral......look at the second carbon , this is where the chirality was generated. Just because the Chlorine lands at a certain position does NOT automatically make the exact position chiral. Chlorination at C1 made C2 chiral. No...I and 4 are not the same.....simply name them and you will clearly see they are different. This is an IMPORTANT problem.

Hope this helps

Dr. Romano

Reactions: 1 users