2017-2018 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s.kh.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,
I have a complicated situation ,and really don't know what I need to do.
I am retaking two of my courses during summer and I was wondering what are my chances If I wait to complete my courses and then apply by mid-August? because I don't want to ruin my application with those bad grades , meanwhile I could get the good LOR.
Also , I have done Canadian DAT with AA:17 TS:18 PAT:18 which I wasn't pleased with so I'm studying to write the aDAT by the Mid-July .

Thank you for your advance help and any suggestions.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it all depends on your stats. IMO Usually with low stats, it's best to apply as early as possible. If your stats are strong then it wouldn't be a problem for you to wait.
Are the courses you are retaking prereqs?

I think it all depends on your stats. IMO Usually with low stats, it's best to apply as early as possible. If your stats are strong then it wouldn't be a problem for you to wait.
Are the courses you are retaking prereqs?
yes Biology and chemistry . I dont know if I apply mid-August do they bother to consider it or not!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a little worried about this cycle. I graduated from my university with a 3.72 GPA. I have nothing but A's and B's on my transcript with the exception of a D where I retook the class the class and got an A. The problem is I studied abroad and came back with 3 C's and 1F and that brought my GPA down to a 3.41 on the TMDSAS GPA calculator. The reason I'm worried is cause I read that the schools don't look at your transcript GPA, they just look at the GPA calculated by TMDSAS or the other program you use to apply out of state (I'm a texas resident). On my DAT I scored a 19AA, 20TS and 20PAT. What do you guys think my chances are of getting interviews? I'm planning on applying to 13 out of state schools and the 3 instate schools.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a little worried about this cycle. I graduated from my university with a 3.72 GPA. I have nothing but A's and B's on my transcript with the exception of a D where I retook the class the class and got an A. The problem is I studied abroad and came back with 3 C's and 1F and that brought my GPA down to a 3.41 on the TMDSAS GPA calculator. The reason I'm worried is cause I read that the schools don't look at your transcript GPA, they just look at the GPA calculated by TMDSAS or the other program you use to apply out of state (I'm a texas resident). On my DAT I scored a 19AA, 20TS and 20PAT. What do you guys think my chances are of getting interviews? I'm planning on applying to 13 out of state schools and the 3 instate schools.
I have the same situation as you which is kinda scary, do u know where can i calculate my GPA?

I have the same situation as you which is kinda scary, do u know where can i calculate my GPA?

TMDSAS calculated my GPA once I submitted my application. I feel like going down .31 points is a lot for one semester of bad grades no? I'm definitely going to have to do some explaining if I get some interviews.

TMDSAS calculated my GPA once I submitted my application. I feel like going down .31 points is a lot for one semester of bad grades no? I'm definitely going to have to do some explaining if I get some interviews.
It might also be that your D is replaced by your A and it's not replaced in the TMDSAS calculation. This can have quite a huge impact believe it or not. This plus the 3 C's and 1 F can definitely bring down your GPA quite a lot. But however with a good explanation I think you'll be fine since your GPA is still not that low.

hey guys,
I have a complicated situation ,and really don't know what I need to do.
I am retaking two of my courses during summer and I was wondering what are my chances If I wait to complete my courses and then apply by mid-August? because I don't want to ruin my application with those bad grades , meanwhile I could get the good LOR.
Also , I have done Canadian DAT with AA:17 TS:18 PAT:18 which I wasn't pleased with so I'm studying to write the aDAT by the Mid-July .

Thank you for your advance help and any suggestions.

Hey there!

You have a tough situation! Normally, I would send in my application early and just invest a lot of time into getting A's on those courses. However, you are also studying for the DAT, which you definitely need to do well on to replace your old scores.

Do you have a competitive GPA? Can't mess up on these courses because then you will shoot yourself in the foot next cycle with a low GPA.

Focus on your situation 1 thing at a time. If you're taking classes in the summer that means you won't have as much time for the DAT. Just get A's on these courses and then hit the books for the DAT, study for 1 whole month (100% dedication needed), and then take the DAT at the end of July. Ideally you would finish both your courses by the end of June and use all of July to study like you've never studied before. Should be a little easier for you this time since you've taken it once.

Worst case: you end up reapplying next cycle. Given this situation you will study much longer for the DAT. No biggie

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

It might also be that your D is replaced by your A and it's not replaced in the TMDSAS calculation. This can have quite a huge impact believe it or not. This plus the 3 C's and 1 F can definitely bring down your GPA quite a lot. But however with a good explanation I think you'll be fine since your GPA is still not that low.

I'm hoping my interviews are open interviews so I can take my official school transcript and show them my GPA without the abroad grades calculated in. I'm also doing breast cancer research at the Texas Tech health science center under the dean of the graduate school in my city and I was told I'm going to be published around July. I'm doing everything in my power right now to strengthen my application.

You can calculate your gpa by making an excel with the course, grade, credits, credits earned (it corresponds with what grade you received, I think you can look it up) in separate columns. Sum each column, divide sum of credits earned by sum of credits (total) to get GPA. Don't forget that if you have F it will be 0 credits earned, you still need to count it because aadsas does. For example if Gen Chem 1 is 3 credits and you get an A, Credits earned will be 12 (3x4 on the GPA scale). I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

Hey OP, I was in a similar situation as you last year. I had to retake some bio courses for both summer 1 and 2. I submitted my app in June with those courses as "in progress" for the term and then sent my transcripts to AADSAS as soon as the summer semester ended. I was also studying for the DAT at the same time. It ended up working out to my advantage as the pre-req courses I was taking overlapped well with the DAT material, which made studying that section easier. So to give you an idea I submitted my AADSAS app technically incomplete in mid-June, re-took my DAT mid August, and had my completed app at the end of August. Got my first interview invite early September. It's possible to kill the DAT and your courses as long as the courses you're taking aren't too intense (for example I took bio 1 lol) and you are able to maintain a solid work ethic for class preparation and DAT prep. Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey OP, I was in a similar situation as you last year. I had to retake some bio courses for both summer 1 and 2. I submitted my app in June with those courses as "in progress" for the term and then sent my transcripts to AADSAS as soon as the summer semester ended. I was also studying for the DAT at the same time. It ended up working out to my advantage as the pre-req courses I was taking overlapped well with the DAT material, which made studying that section easier. So to give you an idea I submitted my AADSAS app technically incomplete in mid-June, re-took my DAT mid August, and had my completed app at the end of August. Got my first interview invite early September. It's possible to kill the DAT and your courses as long as the courses you're taking aren't too intense (for example I took bio 1 lol) and you are able to maintain a solid work ethic for class preparation and DAT prep. Best of luck!

Thank you for sharing your experience.
If u dont mind can I ask you about ur GPA and your DAT score?
Also , when did u submit your LORs? because I only have one LOR and planning to get one from my BIO professor which I have for next semester!! and did you submit all ur pre-req by the end of summer?

I messaged you lol and yes I had all of my pre-reqs done by July 25th. I took them at my undergrad which conveniently offered them back to back in 6 week semesters.