2017-2018 Pathology Interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just interviewed with them earlier this week. They 100% are NOT in the match. They said they will reach out and begin offering pre-match contracts to people in December - January
Thanks I’ll be cancelling my interview with them then.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks I’ll be cancelling my interview with them then.

Just a heads up to everyone (and a public shaming for not telling me until I was in the interview with the PD)...NY Programs Mount Sinai West (St. Lukes-Roosevelt) and Winthrop are also prematch this year.

Just a heads up to everyone (and a public shaming for not telling me until I was in the interview with the PD)...NY Programs Mount Sinai West (St. Lukes-Roosevelt) and Winthrop are also prematch this year.
Interesting re: Winthrop since unlike Mount Sinai West, they do have an NRMP code in ERAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I guess that’s a second interview I’m cancelling

so you did interview for the PSTP??

Last edited:
Quick question, has every program you've interviewed at asked you to sign an acknowledgement of being given information on employment ect... for the purposes of The Match? The majority of the programs I have interviewed at have done this, but a handful have not and I wanted to see if this might be an issue down the road for participation in The Match.

Quick question, has every program you've interviewed at asked you to sign an acknowledgement of being given information on employment ect... for the purposes of The Match? The majority of the programs I have interviewed at have done this, but a handful have not and I wanted to see if this might be an issue down the road for participation in The Match.

Less than 50% of the programs I have interviewed at have had me sign that form. Some prominent programs did not have me sign it so I assume it should not be an issue.

Reactions: 1 user
same here, just one place which was a mid-tier program. I interviewed at some of the top-tier programs and none of them made me sign one of these forms

For those that interviewed at UPenn, can someone tell me how long the interview day was etc? I am considering combining it with another interview and I wonder if it’s doable. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Just an acknowledgment that you received the policies, salary, etc. Really covers their butt and yours, especially if the hospital has no tobacco policies and things of that nature. Not a red flag if they didnt make you sign one.

For those that interviewed at UPenn, can someone tell me how long the interview day was etc? I am considering combining it with another interview and I wonder if it’s doable. Thanks!

Combining in the same day? Probably not doable. Concurrent days? More doable but you will probably be exhausted.

I interviewed last year and there was a night dinner and then the next day interview lasted from 8 something til 3-4ish. Most everybody there was cool. I had a great time.

thanks ;) just got back from Philly - was great!

Not the same day ;) more staying down there but I figured it out.

Hi, I was wondering if Northwestern will send names of faculties in advance who will be interviewing on the interview day?

Hi, I was wondering if Northwestern will send names of faculties in advance who will be interviewing on the interview day?
Yes on your itinerary a couple days before your interview.

Agree, a public shame. I contacted the PC of Mount Sinai West (St. Lukes-Roosevelt) before the interview and was told that they would participate in the Match this year. Then during the interview, the PD said it's Prematch...

This program is weak in CP training, lacks PAs, and one of their training sites is shutting down. Also, I felt some of their residents were not honest, it seemed they made up some stories and tried to drag people into their program...

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Albert Einstein/Montefiore Medical Center offers second visit or not?

Does anyone know if Albert Einstein/Montefiore Medical Center offers second visit or not?
Along these lines - what are the 2nd look protocols? Do most programs do them? When do they usually happen? If a school doesn't do a formal 2nd look are they usually receptive to applicants asking to do a 2nd look?

Hey everyone, I’m a long-time lurker, first time poster.

I’m curious regarding post-interview communication and would be interested to here other candidates’ thoughts on the matter. So, I’ve gotten some very positive post-interview communication from some programs and zero communication from others. I’m wondering if post-interview communication means anything?
- Does a lack of communication mean a lack of interest? Or do some programs just not follow-up with candidates?
- Does positive feedback mean that a program is interested in you and plans on ranking you highly? Or do some programs just send most of their interviewees effusive messages?

Hope all of your interviews have gone well!

I do not think lack of communication means lack of interest. Many are advised not to contact applicants following interview day or to send out communications that are standardized across applicants because they do not want to be accused of violating the communication standards set up by the match. From the NRMP site -

• Discouraging unnecessary post-interview communication Program directors shall not solicit or require post-interview communication from applicants, nor shall program directors engage in post-interview communication that is disingenuous for the purpose of influencing applicants’ ranking preferences.

Some of the other specialties have started standardizing the post-interview communication process because many programs have different philosophies. Everything is to be taken with a grain of salt but I definitely don't think you should be dissuaded by a lack of communication. And, easier said then done, but it doesn't matter anyway so best not to worry about it. You should rank how you want to rank regardless of what you think the programs think of you.

I do not think lack of communication means lack of interest. Many are advised not to contact applicants following interview day or to send out communications that are standardized across applicants because they do not want to be accused of violating the communication standards set up by the match. From the NRMP site -

• Discouraging unnecessary post-interview communication Program directors shall not solicit or require post-interview communication from applicants, nor shall program directors engage in post-interview communication that is disingenuous for the purpose of influencing applicants’ ranking preferences.
Some of the other specialties have started standardizing the post-interview communication process because many programs have different philosophies. Everything is to be taken with a grain of salt but I definitely don't think you should be dissuaded by a lack of communication. And, easier said then done, but it doesn't matter anyway so best not to worry about it. You should rank how you want to rank regardless of what you think the programs think of you.

Thanks for the responses guys. Very solid advice. Hard not to get excited when your top choice gives you positive feedback but, in reality, there’s no way of knowing whether it means that they’re planning to rank you high enough to match or whether that’s their standard response to all applicants. March 16th can’ft come soon enough!!

Best of luck everyone!