2017 DAT Examinee Guide

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAT Destroyer

Dr. Romano and Nancy
Lifetime Donor
Sponsor
Vendor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here is the latest ADA released 2017 DAT Guide. There is a lot of valuable information and it will answer a lot of your questions concerning the DAT.

Good luck to everyone in your studies and on the DAT

Nancy

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2017 dat_examinee_guide.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 678
Reactions: 1 users
Hi Nancy

What has exactly changed? From what I read I understand they removed trigonometry & geometry form the math part. Which is good, less math is always a good thing : ] .

Hi Nancy

What has exactly changed? From what I read I understand they removed trigonometry & geometry form the math part. Which is good, less math is always a good thing : ] .
This is still posted on the website.
Please note that all DAT content changes indicated in Volumes 4 and 5 of the DAT Newsletters will no longer be implemented. This includes changes to the Biology, Quantitative Reasoning, and Critical Thinking sections.

I am contacting the ADA now for clarification and make sure there is not an clerical error in the guide. ADA has been knows to make some errors.

Will post back soon with updated information.

Nancy

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is still posted on the website.
Please note that all DAT content changes indicated in Volumes 4 and 5 of the DAT Newsletters will no longer be implemented. This includes changes to the Biology, Quantitative Reasoning, and Critical Thinking sections.

I am contacting the ADA now for clarification and make sure there is not an clerical error in the guide. ADA has been knows to make some errors.

Will post back soon with updated information.

Nancy
Thank you so much for looking into this for us!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hypothetically speaking if they did remove some trig & geometry, when would that go into effect?
I have talked to several of my classroom students who have taken the test in recent days,trig and geometry was on their version of the DAT.

I did talk to someone on the phone about this and told I will get a return call. I will follow up again in the morning.

I have talked to several of my classroom students who have taken the test in recent days,trig and geometry was on their version of the DAT.

I did talk to someone on the phone about this and told I will get a return call. I will follow up again in the morning.
It maybe hasn't went into full effect yet.

Hi Nancy

I feel you should still be ready for trig and geometry. Might show up indirectly.

Looks like it will be a waiting game again. Your guess is as good as mine on exactly when this will take place. They have indicated for many years a possible change to QR and then it never occurs. Below is the email response I received. I will monitor the situation and post as soon as I receive updated info.

Nancy

"That is not a clerical error. Due changing test specifications there will be a change to the Quantitative Reasoning section on DAT in 2017 and it will no longer contain geometry and trig. But, that will not happen until the 2nd quarter. We do not have a specific date but it will be no earlier than April.

I believe they are working on updating the guides to explain this and provide a specific date of implementation. Thanks."

Test Administration Associate
Department of Testing Services

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for looking into that Nancy. It is interesting that they are "taking it out". I am curious though if studying it and knowing trig and geometry would still help with the style of questions that they intend to ask.

Looks like it will be a waiting game again. Your guess is as good as mine on exactly when this will take place. They have indicated for many years a possible change to QR and then it never occurs. Below is the email response I received. I will monitor the situation and post as soon as I receive updated info.

Nancy

"That is not a clerical error. Due changing test specifications there will be a change to the Quantitative Reasoning section on DAT in 2017 and it will no longer contain geometry and trig. But, that will not happen until the 2nd quarter. We do not have a specific date but it will be no earlier than April.

I believe they are working on updating the guides to explain this and provide a specific date of implementation. Thanks."

looks like I should be fine for my test in February since it's still first quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also heard they're adding something else to the math section... I forget what it's called :-(

I know @orgoman22 said they are no longer using any updates from Volume 4 or 5 of the DAT newsletter, but in Volume 5 Number 1, the describe quantitative comparisons as including, but is not limited to, conversions; probability and statistics; geometry; and trigonometry. If this is still accurate, then Trig and Geometry will still be on the test.

I know @orgoman22 said they are no longer using any updates from Volume 4 or 5 of the DAT newsletter, but in Volume 5 Number 1, the describe quantitative comparisons as including, but is not limited to, conversions; probability and statistics; geometry; and trigonometry. If this is still accurate, then Trig and Geometry will still be on the test.
It's anyone's guess at this point, but below is what I received directly from the ADA testing center.

It's anyone's guess at this point, but below is what I received directly from the ADA testing center.

Good to know! Thanks for finding this out.

Is QR the only section changing? I've only been studying with 2016 DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer...

Is QR the only section changing? I've only been studying with 2016 DAT Destroyer and Math Destroyer...
The QR is the only section they are indicating and I am not 100 percent convinced the QR will change. They have made the same statements before and did not change. Unfortunately it's just a wait and see game.

Wish I knew more..will keep updating as I get information.

Nancy

The QR is the only section they are indicating and I am not 100 percent convinced the QR will change. They have made the same statements before and did not change. Unfortunately it's just a wait and see game.

Wish I knew more..will keep updating as I get information.

Nancy

Thanks for the updates Nancy!

So awesome of you, Nancy, to look out for the DAT test-takers like this!

My instructor (who also contacted the ADA) has received the same info about trig and geometry being taken out of the QR section - but that dimensional analysis would be implemented...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My instructor (who also contacted the ADA) has received the same info about trig and geometry being taken out of the QR section - but that dimensional analysis would be implemented...

The problem is no one knows when or if it will change. I am monitoring it closely and as of yesterday trig and geometry remains on the DAT and nothing new has been implemented.

This has been going for close to 7 years ..ADA states changes will occur and then they don't .

It's a wait and see game and I am certain the ADA will make an announcement and give students time to study properly if and when it should change.

Nancy

The problem is no one knows when or if it will change. I am monitoring it closely and as of yesterday trig and geometry remains on the DAT and nothing new has been implemented.

This has been going for close to 7 years ..ADA states changes will occur and then they don't .

It's a wait and see game and I am certain the ADA will make an announcement and give students time to study properly if and when it should change.

Nancy
Well they said until the 2nd quarter so I doubt it change in a few weeks, maybe after 3 months.

I will be taking my exam in August and was wondering how I should go about planning for this. Currently, I am going to plan that trig and geometry will be included in the test. I don't plan to really start quantitative for a few months yet as I am trying to relearn Biology, GenChem and OChem. Do I plan to "waste" time on learning it and prepping for that material or do I plan to study around that until a little closer to exam date and then brush up on those topics should they remain? Any suggestions would be great.

I will be taking my exam in August and was wondering how I should go about planning for this. Currently, I am going to plan that trig and geometry will be included in the test. I don't plan to really start quantitative for a few months yet as I am trying to relearn Biology, GenChem and OChem. Do I plan to "waste" time on learning it and prepping for that material or do I plan to study around that until a little closer to exam date and then brush up on those topics should they remain? Any suggestions would be great.
I would just wait and see..

I would be SHOCKED if they took trig and geometry out. Those are two of the most fundamental concepts that kids should take away from junior high and high school math courses. I feel as if those 2 topics accounted for at least 25% of my QR in one way or another. They can just show up in so many different ways. It will be interesting to see if this is true. Definitely study as if it will be on the test even if you have doubts.

I would be SHOCKED if they took trig and geometry out. Those are two of the most fundamental concepts that kids should take away from junior high and high school math courses. I feel as if those 2 topics accounted for at least 25% of my QR in one way or another. They can just show up in so many different ways. It will be interesting to see if this is true. Definitely study as if it will be on the test even if you have doubts.
Agree!

Did you guys see the new update on DAT guide 2017? They made the optional break to now 15 minutes! and the QR section doesn't have geometry or trig. I don't know what to do because my test is 12 days..

Did you guys see the new update on DAT guide 2017? They made the optional break to now 15 minutes! and the QR section doesn't have geometry or trig. I don't know what to do because my test is 12 days..
Due changing test specifications there will be a change to the Quantitative Reasoning section on DAT in 2017 and it will no longer contain geometry and trig. But, that will not happen until the 2nd quarter. We do not have a specific date but it will be no earlier than April.

Due changing test specifications there will be a change to the Quantitative Reasoning section on DAT in 2017 and it will no longer contain geometry and trig. But, that will not happen until the 2nd quarter. We do not have a specific date but it will be no earlier than April.

Is anything else changing on the other sections? Like for Biology or organic?

Just bringing this back up as a few people that I know who took the DAT have mentioned that they didn't get any trigonometry or geometry questions... it's also not listed in the ADA's DAT 2017 program guide

I took my exam yesterday, April 3rd. I didn't see any trigonometry or geometry on mine. I wish I did :(. My QR section was out of this world. Awful. But I can't complain now. It's all done

I took my exam yesterday, April 3rd. I didn't see any trigonometry or geometry on mine. I wish I did :(. My QR section was out of this world. Awful. But I can't complain now. It's all done

Shoot. I hear the new stuff is similar to GRE quantitative comparison (from people whom have also taken it April 3rd) guess all my geometry/trigonometry studying may have been a waste...

Just curious....What is replacing geometry and trig?

This....
"Questions of this type ask you to compare two quantities — Quantity A and Quantity B — and then determine which of the following statements describes the comparison:

Quantity A is greater.Quantity B is greater.The two quantities are equal.The relationship cannot be determined from the information given."

Good amount of them

This....
"Questions of this type ask you to compare two quantities — Quantity A and Quantity B — and then determine which of the following statements describes the comparison:

Quantity A is greater.Quantity B is greater.The two quantities are equal.The relationship cannot be determined from the information given."

Good amount of them
what math class does this type of question mostly appear in?

Nothing has been mentioned as of yet, but with the ADA it is always a wait and see game. I will post any information as soon as I get it.

Nancy

Has anyone after April 2017 seen Trig. or Geometry in the QR section? Is it worth studying for, since ADA didn't mention it in their QR topics and since your email confirmed this. Thanks!

Has anyone after April 2017 seen Trig. or Geometry in the QR section? Is it worth studying for, since ADA didn't mention it in their QR topics and since your email confirmed this. Thanks!
Yes Trig and Geometry are still seen in some versions. Students have also been presented Trig and Geo in the new QC problems. Unfortunately you must study all these if you want a good QR score.

See the attached problems if you missed it in other threads.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

Attachments

• Problems and Solutions QC 2017.pdf
    446.2 KB · Views: 101
Yes Trig and Geometry are still seen in some versions. Students have also been presented Trig and Geo in the new QC problems. Unfortunately you must study all these if you want a good QR score.

Wishing you the best..

Nancy

Thanks so much!

Wishing you the best..

Nancy
Dang it I have the2017 math destroyer. Do I need to buy a new one to get questions like this?