2017 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mavric1298

Long live snugseal
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's that time of the year again. Yesterday was May 1st, the official "unoffical" day to start a new thread for the new cycle applicants. Good luck for those applying this cycle. Check in and tell us about you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
No one else posted the thread yesterday, so thought I would get things started. Application officially opens tomorrow, and can be submitted Tue Jun 07 2016 12:00 AM GMT+0000

Everyone ready? Last years thread is/was a awesome group of people, lets keep it going for this cycle

Reactions: 1 users
I have so much to finish before I submit, but I'm so excited to finally be applying. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
:corny:

doubt I'll have everything ready for this cycle, but "last" year's thread was super fun

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck everyone!! Can't wait to be in your shoes this time next year.

Best of luck to everyone!

In the process of getting my stuff together. Wont be able to turn in it 1st day since i will be waiting for mcat score

Good luck non-trad team! The application cycle can feel horrible and even demeaning, but I cannot express the excitement I have now that I'm admitted and preparing to move for medical school. Stick to it!! Good luck!!

Did anyone else take work off tomorrow? I'm hoping to crank out as much of my AMCAS as I can in one day, then spend the rest of the month revising and such.

I am pumped!! Still working on my PS (3rd and definitely not the last revision :dead:) and half way through my activities descriptions. I think I'll get everything my the 1st day though. Also def worried about transcripts getting in properly...

I'll def be paying the extra for my undergrad to overnight the transcript.

I am so excited! 26 y/o non-trad here.

I know everyone says its horrible, but I can't wait to finally get this part of the process started. Took the MCAT 4/23 and will be glad to have the application to distract me. I have to work at my newly acquired scribe job tomorrow...hopefully its slow so I have some time to poke around the application!

Still working on what is now a 7th draft of my PS, and waiting on a letter of rec from my advisor who promises to submit by May 10. Can't wait guys! I have 6 schools to transcript request from...maybe 7 depending on what AMCAS says about study abroad credits I took during undergrad.

Is it reasonable to think I can bang out the entire AMCAS is one day? Obviously I'll continue to revise and such til June, but I'd like to have as much as possible done tomorrow really.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have all the info, yes. I was surprised when I was mock filling out last cycle and needed to hunt down some family info.

Hm like what kind of family info? I should know most of it, but my damn parents are out of the country right now!!!

Hooray, I'm so excited to finally begin!!

Ironically, after waiting for (seemingly) ages, I'm not even really going to have a chance at all tomorrow to start on the application. So my goal for tomorrow is just to generate all my transcript requests so that I can submit those to my schools on Wednesday. I'm literally going to have to drive one of my requests over to one of my schools (they don't have an online request system, can you believe it?).

Here's to proposing that our thread is as awesome and as successful as 2015/2016's!!!!

OMG it's so weird to see this thread :D:D. So excited for you guys!!

If I can help answer any questions or anything along the way don't hesitate to ask/shoot me a PM! GOOD LUCK!

Reactions: 5 users
After years of thinking about doing this, and a couple more years of post bac it's hard to believe that it's finally that time. I'm so excited to finally get to apply.

Good luck everyone! Let's have a great nontrad cycle.

I'm with you guys. Still working on my PS and waiting for MCAT scores. Im so excited. Best of luck to everyone!

OMG it's so weird to see this thread :D:D. So excited for you guys!!

If I can help answer any questions or anything along the way don't hesitate to ask/shoot me a PM! GOOD LUCK!

You are an inspiration!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Applying this cycle. So checking in. Good luck everyone!!

Darn at I had hoped to wake up and have the application ready for me to get started! Hopefully they change it over at 9:00.

No one else posted the thread yesterday, so thought I would get things started. Application officially opens tomorrow, and can be submitted Tue Jun 07 2016 12:00 AM GMT+0000

Everyone ready? Last years thread is/was a awesome group of people, lets keep it going for this cycle
Lol. You beat me to it. I totally forgot about it, @mavric1298!
Good job

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

After taking a few years off, finally applying this cycle. Submitting application for committee letter this week, with MCAT coming up.

Best of luck everyone!

Yes its totally reasonable to get it done in just a couple hours - if you have your PS and activities done. Transcripts and LOR can actually be the biggest pain, I know it was for me last cycle. I'm interested to see how exactly everything transferred over, I guess I'll work in it as soon as I get my midterm done today in a couple hours. I'm more nervous about having to handle two different applications (AMCAS & AACOMAS) then anything, making sure all the correct letters end up at the right spots, copies of transcripts end up at both, etc!

Just finished entering grades. That sucked!!! Time for a lunch break.

31 yo non-trad

it's so weird to be filling out AMCAS finally... year after year, you're doing this class or that lab, or getting ready for the MCAT, or covering your bases, stressing out about everything... there was always something that had to be done.

and now... it's just ticking boxes. And filling in names. So mundane, and calm. It's so weird. It's like the eye of the storm or something. It's freaking me out.

Reactions: 4 users
Yes its totally reasonable to get it done in just a couple hours - if you have your PS and activities done. Transcripts and LOR can actually be the biggest pain, I know it was for me last cycle. I'm interested to see how exactly everything transferred over, I guess I'll work in it as soon as I get my midterm done today in a couple hours. I'm more nervous about having to handle two different applications (AMCAS & AACOMAS) then anything, making sure all the correct letters end up at the right spots, copies of transcripts end up at both, etc!

Do it systematically. Spend one day printing and mailing all your transcript requests for AMCAS. The next day (or when you're completely done with AMCAS), do AACOMAS. Don't do them both at once or it gets chaotic. I made a checklist on my computer of schools I had sent transcript requests to along with the date, so I could look back later and track down ones that were taking a long time. Which did happen, one of my schools had to send twice to AACOMAS as the original managed to disappear into the ether.

Use Interfolio for your letters if you didn't last time. It's amazing.

Here's the spreadsheet I used last year. I did not create this and thus I take no credit. I found it posted on SDN and modified it to add some columns I wanted...unfortunately I can't remember who originally made it or I would tag them. But it was very helpful. Let me keep track of my schools, where they were, secondary fees (it will automatically tally a total for you as you enter individual ones), various dates, etc.

Attachments

• Application Spreadsheet SDN.xlsx
    29.8 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
My stupid college told me weeks ago that they are certified by AMCAS to send eTranscripts, then when I go into the website to order transcripts, it doesn't seem like they are because they didn't ask for a Transcript ID # GRRRRRRR :slap: Plus I noticed that I did not get credit for one of my freshman "learn how to survive college" seminars so it shows on my transcript that it's "In Progress"... STOOOOPID. +pissed+

But hey at least my grad school got my transcript in!

Can't believe it is finally time to do this. Not looking forward to another transcript hassle, just went through that a few months ago for SMP apps. I'm going to start filling out tonight but I still need some work on my PS and activities. Going to try to submit first day for verification, but won't have my MCAT scores in until early July, so that sucks.

Do it systematically. Spend one day printing and mailing all your transcript requests for AMCAS. The next day (or when you're completely done with AMCAS), do AACOMAS. Don't do them both at once or it gets chaotic. I made a checklist on my computer of schools I had sent transcript requests to along with the date, so I could look back later and track down ones that were taking a long time. Which did happen, one of my schools had to send twice to AACOMAS as the original managed to disappear into the ether.

Here's the spreadsheet I used last year. I did not create this and thus I take no credit. I found it posted on SDN and modified it to add some columns I wanted...unfortunately I can't remember who originally made it or I would tag them. But it was very helpful. Let me keep track of my schools, where they were, secondary fees (it will automatically tally a total for you as you enter individual ones), various dates, etc.

Yeah I have a pretty ridiculous spreadsheet I used last cycle that I'm using again tracking every little detail.

What's a total bummer is they changed something with schools attended section and looks like I have to re enter them and it looks like classes didn't carry over. Oh well. EDIT they only changed something with the high schools, and once it was entered the other schools came back and course work did as well.

And soon the stress of waiting begins again. At least this time around I won't be nervously waking up at 6 am checking my emails compulsively from July to December. I know better now haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
And, I just logged in for the first time. How exciting! Unfortunately my laptop is on the blink so I have to decide whether I should struggle through the process with it or if I should just use an iPad which makes it harder for me to edit and keep track of. Oh, the decisions I face!

and just like that (with the exception of finishing my PS - it kept mine from last year);

Transcript requests printed (just for the ID #), LOR writers are submitting new letters by the 20th (interfolio), and then MD primary is done. That was a lot easier the 2nd time around haha

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 7.47.05 PM.png

Thanks for sharing this! I foresee it being very useful as the cycle progresses :)

In other news, I have completed my app up until the activities section. Adding in all my coursework wasn't as tedious as a I had feared, even though I have a bunch of schools/courses.

In terms of transcripts, I have one that was already e-delivered and is in the AMCAS system, one that has been sent out but isn't yet in AMCAS, and one that I went to request in person today and should be sent out next week. I'm crossing my fingers these remaining two get to AMCAS and loaded without any issues.

Tomorrow I'm going to get started on writing out my activities - what a joy (not)! Any tips from those of you who already started working on that section?

Oh yea, forgot to mention LORs. All of mine are waiting in Interfolio with the exception of one that my letter writer is sending out this week. I'm so amazed that this part of my app is so set to go, I totally thought I would be waiting on my writers through the summer!

Checking in for the cycle. I still need to finish a few things, shadowing, letters before start. Texas MD/DO and OOS DO.

Checking in. This is my year and OUR time! Let's go knock this out of the ballpark!!

51. Single mom (father is deceased; son is 20-ish; also a premed!)

AMCAS took me less than 10 minutes to complete. Unfortunately, I had to withdraw from last cycle before the MCAT. Had done the "apply to one school to get verified" before adding any other schools thing.

Was told that info would be gone baby gone.

It wasn't. :soexcited: Less than 10 minutes after logging in, I was complete. Schools listed. $996. :(

MCAT next. Come hither you "brat" - I want to swat you ;)

LET'S GO!

Reactions: 9 users
Checking in. This is my year and OUR time! Let's go knock this out of the ballpark!!

AMCAS took me less than 10 minutes to complete. Unfortunately, I had to withdraw from last cycle before the MCAT. Had done the "apply to one school to get verified" before adding any other schools thing.

It wasn't. :soexcited: Less than 10 minutes after logging in, I was complete. Schools listed. $996. :(

LET'S GO!
Way to go, Ad2b! I'm rooting for you. Consider me your #1 fan. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900P using SDN mobile

Good luck everyone! :luck: :) :luck:

I find it hard to believe that it's been a year since I was in your shoes. Try not to sell yourself short when determining your school list. I was amazed on the interview trail by how many schools and interviewers really seemed to value some life experience. The nontrad coalition is setting up for another year of success! I can't wait to see where you all end up.

Reactions: 3 users

LET'S GO!

You got this! Your confidence is motivating me to go study and do more passages!! But first, immunology lecture and taking the kid shopping. :(

Applying this summer to start fellowship in 2017 after working as an academic attending for the past two years. Have been talking to PDs (program directors) at potential programs. There are many parallels with premed apps (need to have a PS, three LORs, transcripts, test scores, etc), but overall, the app process is much better at this stage: way fewer apps/interviews needed, no secondaries, no app fees, and at least one program is going to pay to fly me out for my interview, an unexpected bonus. :thumbup: On the annoying side, you have to contact each program separately and apply to them each individually. And they all have slightly different requirements. So even though I'm only applying to a handful of them, I still need a spreadsheet to keep track of what materials each PD wants. :p

Reactions: 6 users
Applying this summer to start fellowship in 2017 after working as an academic attending for the past two years. Have been talking to PDs (program directors) at potential programs. There are many parallels with premed apps (need to have a PS, three LORs, transcripts, test scores, etc), but overall, the app process is much better at this stage: way fewer apps/interviews needed, no secondaries, no app fees, and at least one program is going to pay to fly me out for my interview, an unexpected bonus. :thumbup: On the annoying side, you have to contact each program separately and apply to them each individually. And they all have slightly different requirements. So even though I'm only applying to a handful of them, I still need a spreadsheet to keep track of what materials each PD wants. :p

Q, you never seem to stop amazing me. I remember back when I was a young lurker in the middle of deployment reading your crazy stories and posts. Good luck, not that you will need it. Thanks for giving us some insight into what our future with fellowships will be like.

Q, you never seem to stop amazing me. I remember back when I was a young lurker in the middle of deployment reading your crazy stories and posts. Good luck, not that you will need it. Thanks for giving us some insight into what our future with fellowships will be like.
Well, if you think it's lonely applying to med school as a nontrad applicant, you should see what it's like applying to fellowship as a nontrad applicant (i.e., not straight out of residency). You aren't the first one to think I might be a touch crazy. ;) All kidding aside though, I always appreciated hearing about what the process was like from people further down the line when I was a premed, and I wish more attendings would stick around to tell their tales for future nontrads. Most of the people I applied to med school with back in the day are unfortunately no longer active on SDN. So for both of those reasons, you are all now going to be subjected to my fellowship app saga, whether you want to be or not. :smuggrin:

Reactions: 9 users
So for both of those reasons, you are all now going to be subjected to my fellowship app saga, whether you want to be or not. :smuggrin:

Are you kidding? Of course we will want to hear all about it!

2 questions:
1/ is it better to pay AACOMAS entering our grades in?? that'll save us a lot of hassle and time
2/ I took 2 classes this semester. Both are As. Should I wait for my school to release the grade or should I push for the app to go out as fast as i can?

2 questions:
1/ is it better to pay AACOMAS entering our grades in?? that'll save us a lot of hassle and time
2/ I took 2 classes this semester. Both are As. Should I wait for my school to release the grade or should I push for the app to go out as fast as i can?

For #2, when will grades be released? And is this still for AACOMAS or AMCAS?

2 questions:

AACOMAS will do this? WTF AMCAS?!

Noob question alert: I am not applying this cycle, can I make an account and log in to AACOMAS just to see how things are set up?

For #2, when will grades be released? And is this still for AACOMAS or AMCAS?
May 17. So give or take may 22
AACOMAS will do this? WTF AMCAS?!
yes AACOMAS do this

Professional Transcript Entry
What is this?

Save time completing your application by having us enter coursework on your behalf.
How long does it take?

Professional Transcript Entry will begin as soon as you submit your application and we receive all of your official transcripts.

After you submit your application and we receive all of your official transcripts, please allow up to ten business days for us to complete your order.
Why should I use it?

Entering coursework from multiple institutions can be a time-consuming and error-prone task.

Professional Transcript Entry frees you to focus on more strategic tasks, like writing your essay or gathering letters of recommendation.

Professional Transcript Entry also improves the accuracy of coursework entry, so you can avoid any processing delays.

And don't worry, you'll be able to approve all entries before they're finalized.
How much does it cost?

It's just $65 for up to 3 transcripts, $90 for 4-6 transcripts, or $140 for 7 or more transcripts.
Would you like to use Professional Transcript Entry?
Yes, I'd like to have my transcripts entered" additional="true" value="'true'" model="optIn" data-ng-click="optInYes()" style="display: inline-table; box-sizing: border-box;">

Yes, I'd like to have my transcripts entered
No thanks, I'll handle it myself" additional="true" value="'false'" model="optIn" data-ng-click="optInNo()" style="display: inline-table; box-sizing: border-box; padding-left: 32px;">

No thanks, I'll handle it myself