2017 PRITE results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

intervention

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
did anyone get their 2017 PRITE results back yet? If so, when?

Members don't see this ad.

Yuck! I don't want to know them. I'm hoping I get them after the holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies and I don't want this to come off as a humble brag or sound like I'm too much of a tool.

I'm a PGY3, did very well this year on PRITE, and am updating the CV anyway for an upcoming moonlighting position. Is there any purpose or reason to add my PRITE scores to my CV for the post residency job search? Or any purpose I can use the scores outside of them being a poor to moderate predictor of passing boards
If you scored in the 99th percentile for all residents/test takers then you can put it on your CV (in the section "honors and awards"), otherwise you should not. It is completely irrelevant for all moonlighting positions and most post-residency job searches.

Reactions: 4 users
If you scored in the 99th percentile for all residents/test takers then you can put it on your CV (in the section "honors and awards"), otherwise you should not. It is completely irrelevant for all moonlighting positions and most post-residency job searches.
It's unfortunate that our society is so anti high achiever right now. In my residency they would announce the top two scorers from each class and it was almost always the people you would expect (the residents with a good knowledge base, good clinical skills, etc.). If I was ever in the position to hire a psychiatrist it would be nice to know how they generally scored on the exam.

It's unfortunate that our society is so anti high achiever right now. In my residency they would announce the top two scorers from each class and it was almost always the people you would expect (the residents with a good knowledge base, good clinical skills, etc.). If I was ever in the position to hire a psychiatrist it would be nice to know how they generally scored on the exam.

This has not 6 to do with society but the reality that to years from now.... Noone is thing to ask you for percentile in the prite. The only thing that matters is passing your boards and getting a job that is satisfying. When was the last time someone asked you for ur your PSAT/ACT/SAT MCATor USMLE scores.

I've gone on job interviews and employers don't care....as long as you pass your boards.

To the OP there's no need, you will get a postion if you aren't weird on your interview.

This has not 6 to do with society but the reality that to years from now.... Noone is thing to ask you for percentile in the prite. The only thing that matters is passing your boards and getting a job that is satisfying. When was the last time someone asked you for ur your PSAT/ACT/SAT MCATor USMLE scores.

I've gone on job interviews and employers don't care....as long as you pass your boards.
You stated as a conclusion what I used as the premise for my post. Do you understand that?

Me: It’s too bad that they don’t do X because it would be useful.

You: They’re not going to do X!

Why? How would that be remotely helpful to you when you hire a psychiatrist? Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's as useful as SAT scores in first post-college job hunt.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Why? How would that be remotely helpful to you when you hire a psychiatrist? Maybe I'm wrong but I think it's as useful as SAT scores in first post-college job hunt.
I am confused by this statement of yours. Knowing how an applicant scored on standardized tests of psychiatric knowledge and how they compared to thousands of peers wouldn't be helpful for you in hiring a psychiatrist? A few frequent posters here (whopper, splik, myself) commonly point out that the quality of psychiatrists varies greatly. It seems to me like it would be nice to have a good idea of what you are getting before having to find out the hard way.

I am confused by this statement of yours. Knowing how an applicant scored on standardized tests of psychiatric knowledge and how they compared to thousands of peers wouldn't be helpful for you in hiring a psychiatrist? A few frequent posters here (whopper, splik, myself) commonly point out that the quality of psychiatrists varies greatly. It seems to me like it would be nice to have a good idea of what you are getting before having to find out the hard way.
Being involved in hiring for our own organization, and being in position to write many, MANY letters of recommendation for residents seeking jobs, I will tell you that scoring on PRITE or USMLE or MCAT or whatever has NEVER come up*.

Where we really want to "have a good idea of what you are getting" is whether you get along with people, show up to work on time, and are willing to go the extra mile from time to time for their colleagues and patients. Residency is about learning how to be a psychiatrist, not continuing your quests for high scores on standardized tests.

*(I'll qualify this--there was 1 resident who was consistently the program's top scorer throughout his time with us, and I did make mention of that along with all of his other excellent qualities. So once in approximately 50 cases...and I doubt it made a difference.)

Reactions: 1 user
I am confused by this statement of yours. Knowing how an applicant scored on standardized tests of psychiatric knowledge and how they compared to thousands of peers wouldn't be helpful for you in hiring a psychiatrist?

No. I don't think the MCAT is reflective of how good a doctor you are any more than the PRITE is reflective of how good a psychiatrist you are. In fact, I find it difficult to find a whole lot of relevancy in the PRITE when it comes to psychiatric knowledge at all. I think judging your hires by the PRITE is as bad as judging your doctor by his/her MCAT score. You can make the hiring process about scores if you want, but you risk getting people no one wants to work with who happen to be good at standardized tests.

No. I don't think the MCAT is reflective of how good a doctor you are any more than the PRITE is reflective of how good a psychiatrist you are. In fact, I find it difficult to find a whole lot of relevancy in the PRITE when it comes to psychiatric knowledge at all. I think judging your hires by the PRITE is as bad as judging your doctor by his/her MCAT score. You can make the hiring process about scores if you want, but you risk getting people no one wants to work with who happen to be good at standardized tests.

I think the PRITE is sort of crap, but the tendency to dismiss standardized testing as barely reflective of anything except than test-taking skills is not based in reality and is more wishful thinking.

For example, doing very well on Step 1 requires hard work, exceptional discipline, endurance, perseverance, strong memory, multiple facets of intelligence and, naturally, a strong base of medical knowledge. These are all important aspects of being a doctor; if you lack any of them, you won't be able to perform well. Perhaps not the alpha and the omega, but important nonetheless. The same applies to the MCAT and the SAT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the PRITE is sort of crap, but the tendency to dismiss standardized testing as barely reflective of anything except than test-taking skills is not based in reality and is more wishful thinking.

I didn't say all standardized testing is barely reflective of anything except test-taking skills. I said the PRITE is not reflective of real psychiatric knowledge and that the MCAT is not reflective of how good a doctor you are. Neither is the SAT. At least there is some level of relevancy in the Steps (but frankly, Step 2 and Step 3 are way more reflective of clinical and medical knowledge than Step 1). Regardless, if it was scores that determined how good a doctor we all were, then only/all those with 270 Steps would be good doctors and all those with 210 Steps would be mediocre and that simply isn't the case.

Scores are used to weed out for residencies, but I don't think there's relevancy in the post-residency job market and that's especially true of the PRITE.

PRITE scores do not correlate with passing the actual boards per se but individuals who do well will likely pass the actual boards for several reasons. Most importantly, they are probably studying the material. Getting a PRITE score is most beneficial within residency as the program director can implement incentives for performing well, and consequences for not (for example: attend obligatory PRITE study groups). The actual score on the PRITE should not be part of the employment screening since there is undeniable variability in the amount of repeated questions per year for this exam. The difficulty also fluctuates as many questions are simply made by trainees who were selected by the American College of Psychiatrists.
Believe it or not, there is a shocking amount of psychiatrists who are not board certified and are treating patients so employers should be happy if someone is certified plus good clinically.

I couldn't tell you what I scored on my SATs, MCAT, Step 1-3, or boards. No moonlighting job, fellowship interview or research/clinical job has ever asked me. At this point, if a position did inquire that would be my clue to walk away.

My approach to PRITEs, since there was no correlation between PRITE and quality as a psychiatrist and no mandatory minimum score needed to advance, was to take the test as fast as possible so I could make good use of the half day we got off for taking it. My quickest time was under an hour for each section(that I remember, ha).

The actual score on the PRITE should not be part of the employment screening since there is undeniable variability in the amount of repeated questions per year for this exam

There is also a fair amount of variability in what programs expect. Some will make you remediate, some don't care what you get. That also influences how much emphasis residents put on it. All around, taking PRITE scores into consideration for employment is pretty ridiculous, IMO.

Killed it this year, top of my class! Not that it matters, just glad to have done better than my colleagues. Yay me. Now gotta pass the boards and fork out 2.5K. :(

In hiring a psychiatrist, communication skills, efficiency, and quality of work are my top criteria. Many PRITE questions are academic and hold no real world value. I’d rather judge quality of work from personal experience or recommendations over a test score.