2018 REPAYE experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

flightnurse2MD

I’m just a Maserati in a world of Kias
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On part of the advice of @Psai and others, I consolidated my loans the day after graduation and entered the REPAYE program through my lender- Great Lakes. The whole process took ~6 weeks and not much of a hassle. My monthly payments will be $141.57 the first year of residency. I’m not paying $0 because I worked part-time as a nurse last year. Acccording to REPAYE, the government will pay 100% of any accumulated un-paid interest the first THREE YEARS then 50% after that. I crunched the numbers and figured that would save me around $35K in capitalized interest versus putting my loans into forebearance for the next 4 years. So far looks like a great deal on my end, but I let you know otherwise later down the road.
 
I believe it’s 100% of any unpaid interest in subsidized loans, but only 50% of unpaid interest on unsubsiduzed loans, which is likely the bulk of most people’s med school loans.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
On part of the advice of @Psai and others, I consolidated my loans the day after graduation and entered the REPAYE program through my lender- Great Lakes. The whole process took ~6 weeks and not much of a hassle. My monthly payments will be $141.57 the first year of residency. I’m not paying $0 because I worked part-time as a nurse last year. Acccording to REPAYE, the government will pay 100% of any accumulated un-paid interest the first THREE YEARS then 50% after that. I crunched the numbers and figured that would save me around $35K in capitalized interest versus putting my loans into forebearance for the next 4 years. So far looks like a great deal on my end, but I let you know otherwise later down the road.
I did this successfully last year and it was easy as you described. And as Dipriman stated it's only the subsidized loans whose interest is paid 100%, and after the 3 years it switches to 50% like the unsubsidized loans.
 
Last edited: