2018 - Where did you end up?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monocles

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello future psychiatrists!

After being PM'd by dozens of you during the interview season, I now have an emotional vested interest in your success...

Where did everyone end up?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Third year who will be applying psych next cycle, congrats to everyone and could y'all share where you're going and just a quick summary of your stats! (steps, rank, research, region)

Reactions: 1 user
Fell down my list a bit to #4 although it's probably a "better" program than my #2 and 3 (but wanted to be in NYC for family) I thought it was a reach for me so I'm surprised to say the least? Life's weird

Thanks Monocles for all your help! Happy to have matched honestly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my #2, which was literally tied with my #1. Honestly shocked considering how the interview season went for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
I ended up dealing with a Friday afternoon walk-in patient who's now buying street xanax after another MD thought it'd be a good idea to "bridge" xanax 0.5 BID while waiting for his SSRI to work for panic attacks... an SSRI he never actually took because the xanax "made my anxiety go away".

/you didn't explicitly say this was about the match. :p

Reactions: 9 users
@Monocles Happy to be joining your flock at BIDMC this June :clap:

Ended up extremely low on my rank list. I'm so devastated I don't even have words, because geographic concerns have become apparent post-rank that would have changed my application season and specialty choice entirely. Literally don't know what to do.

I ended up at Med-Psych in the South! :D!! Ecstatic!!

Reactions: 6 users
Ended up extremely low on my rank list. I'm so devastated I don't even have words, because geographic concerns have become apparent post-rank that would have changed my application season and specialty choice entirely. Literally don't know what to do.
Mad Jack, I am SO SO SO sorry! Please do not for a second think that where you matched or how low you matched is any reflection on who you are as a person or the type of physician/psychiatrist you will be become. It is really truly an imperfect system. I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers <3

Reactions: 12 users
Mad Jack, I am SO SO SO sorry! Please do not for a second think that where you matched or how low you matched is any reflection on who you are as a person or the type of physician/psychiatrist you will be become. It is really truly an imperfect system. I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers <3
Strongly agree with this. I've seen quite a few match results this year that seem cruelly random and unfair.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Matched my #1 at CHA!!!! Overjoyed, but mixed with feelings of sadness/survivor's guilt at friends and classmates who matched much lower than expected.

Congrats everyone! I matched at my #1 UTSW. As my name implies, I'm looking forward to finally being a resident and having a real say in patient care.

I'm another psych applicant who failed to match into psych (too top heavy maybe?), but luckily offered a categorical pediatric position through SOAP -- hoping to fellowship back into the psych world one day. Life happens and now just gonna run with it! :)

I'm a PGY-3, loved seeing our match list, can't wait to meet all of our new interns!!
Sounds like it was tough out there this year. It was great to see the support and good advice offered on this forum.
Regardless of where you're headed, the year ahead is going to be filled with 'firsts' and excitement, so enjoy this mysterious/amazing time between now and orientation!!

I'm another psych applicant who failed to match into psych (too top heavy maybe?), but luckily offered a categorical pediatric position through SOAP -- hoping to fellowship back into the psych world one day. Life happens and now just gonna run with it! :)
Loving your attitude. All the best in your training!

Reactions: 4 users
MUSC med-psych.... still trying to pinch myself to make sure it's real. I totally agree with evidence based I've got some survivors guilt. I had some very competative friends who didn't match at all, this year was crazy.

Matched at Brown! Fellow interns reach out to me :)

Congrats to everyone! As grueling as being a resident may be sometimes, something happens a few months into intern year when you realize you’re making clinical decisions that actually matter, and that feeling is amazing. Enjoy this amazing carefree period until graduation!

Reactions: 1 users
Couples matched to our number one rank in NY! Both DO and had over 150 ranks haha.

Reactions: 10 users
I didn't even know there were over 150 psych programs.

Haha in the couples match you rank every combination. Meaning, programs can be ranked multiple of times on your end if your partner ranks a diff program each time.

Ex:
1) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program A
2) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program B
3) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program C
4) etc.

We also only ranked combos in which we would be geographically together so our list would have been ALOT longer if we had ranked every possible combination.

Gotcha! Congratulations on matching to your #1.

Tufts which was my #2, but literally tied with my #1 (HCMC). Honestly shocked considering how the interview season went for me.

Congrats!! Tufts is amazing! You will get phenomenal training here! PM me if you'd like!

Congrats to everyone! As grueling as being a resident may be sometimes, something happens a few months into intern year when you realize you’re making clinical decisions that actually matter, and that feeling is amazing. Enjoy this amazing carefree period until graduation!

Congratulations everyone! I second what coyotelime said. Residency is both tough and immensely rewarding, so you have a lot to look forward to!

Matched to my #3 in the West Coast. I was disappointed because I got a letter from my #1 saying they love me. I realized letters/emails after interviews do not mean much :(.

Anyhow, I accept the result, start connecting with my fellow residents, and I actually feel excited to start residency. At the end of the day, I will still be a psychiatrist, and the job market is looking so good that I am not too worried about going wherever I want after residency.

Reactions: 4 users
Matched to my #3 in the West Coast. I was disappointed because I got a letter from my #1 saying they love me. I realized letters/emails after interviews do not mean much :(.

Anyhow, I accept the result, start connecting with my fellow residents, and I actually feel excited to start residency. At the end of the day, I will still be a psychiatrist, and the job market is looking so good that I am not too worried about going wherever I want after residency.
That is why most of us don't send love letters, because we may love you, but we don't know if they mean anything or not.

I got no response from my LOI to my number 1 and didn't match there so at least they were genuine ;) Getting no response set my expectation I wasn't going to match there and lessened the blow. They missed out on someone who thought the world of their program and wanted to go there since day 1 of med school because I'm from the area. On the other hand, my home program PD didn't respond to my thank you email or card but told me on Monday I was ranked in the top 8 for 8 spots so not to worry about matching.

I got no response from my LOI to my number 1 and didn't match there so at least they were genuine ;) Getting no response set my expectation I wasn't going to match there and lessened the blow. They missed out on someone who thought the world of their program and wanted to go there since day 1 of med school because I'm from the area.

Many programs do not respond to anyone. There is no benefit and only disappointed feelings. Say I typically go down 38 spots to fill my program of 8. If I send “love” letters/responses to my top 20 people, odds are that all of them stand a great chance of matching with me. You would think it would be a safe email. All are usually ranked to match. Now say I pull a great intern class the year before and they sell my “amazing” program for me. Hypothetically, I fill my 8 spots in only 10 people. It doesn’t mean that I didn’t think #11 was excellent. I would have been more than happy with applicant #11. In fact, 10-15 were all great applicants with virtually the same scores and LOR’s and interviews. Responding to my top 20 positively just results in upsetting 10-20 that I was dishonest. Those 10-20 may have a bad taste in their mouth and not apply for my fellowships.

Programs can get 800 applicants for 8 spots. Getting one of the 80 interviews puts you in the top 10%. That’s a fantastic accomplishment already. Out of 80 people, it typically takes less than 40 and in rare circumstances, 10 people to fill. Just because you didn’t end up being liked in the top 1% of people at one program, doesn’t mean you didn’t do a fantastic job in the match or that they didn’t think the world of you.

Many programs do not respond to anyone. There is no benefit and only disappointed feelings. Say I typically go down 38 spots to fill my program of 8. If I send “love” letters/responses to my top 20 people, odds are that all of them stand a great chance of matching with me. You would think it would be a safe email. All are usually ranked to match. Now say I pull a great intern class the year before and they sell my “amazing” program for me. Hypothetically, I fill my 8 spots in only 10 people. It doesn’t mean that I didn’t think #11 was excellent. I would have been more than happy with applicant #11. In fact, 10-15 were all great applicants with virtually the same scores and LOR’s and interviews. Responding to my top 20 positively just results in upsetting 10-20 that I was dishonest. Those 10-20 may have a bad taste in their mouth and not apply for my fellowships.

Programs can get 800 applicants for 8 spots. Getting one of the 80 interviews puts you in the top 10%. That’s a fantastic accomplishment already. Out of 80 people, it typically takes less than 40 and in rare circumstances, 10 people to fill. Just because you didn’t end up being liked in the top 1% of people at one program, doesn’t mean you didn’t do a fantastic job in the match or that they didn’t think the world of you.

Thanks for putting it in perspective. I can't imagine how hard it is to distinguish between applicants. And I appreciate the faculty that has to do the tough decision making.

I had a low step 1. I worked my ass off for a 260+ CK to try and make up for it, but in the end, when ranking it probably mattered when most of the list had better scores on both steps. I also used most of my free time third year to publish. I told myself that a high CK and publications would show solid work ethic and resiliency, but it's not a magic eraser for step 1 at a competitive program.

I'm bummed about being far from family but I'm going to continue to work to the bone and make connections for great letters. Maybe they'll have me for fellowship.

Also on the bright side, I met a lot of great, laid back people interviewing in the region. I hope some are my coresidents!

Last edited:
Haha in the couples match you rank every combination. Meaning, programs can be ranked multiple of times on your end if your partner ranks a diff program each time.

Ex:
1) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program A
2) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program B
3) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program C
4) etc.

We also only ranked combos in which we would be geographically together so our list would have been ALOT longer if we had ranked every possible combination.
No offense--and it didn't matter in your particular case--but, unless going unmatched was preferable to being in different cities, you should have filled out the rest of your ROL (as tedious as that would be).

Headed for triple board training - definitely excited!

Reactions: 9 users
I got no response from my LOI to my number 1 and didn't match there so at least they were genuine ;) Getting no response set my expectation I wasn't going to match there and lessened the blow. They missed out on someone who thought the world of their program and wanted to go there since day 1 of med school because I'm from the area. On the other hand, my home program PD didn't respond to my thank you email or card but told me on Monday I was ranked in the top 8 for 8 spots so not to worry about matching.

I should have known I wasn't going to match at my #1 when people on here were sent coffee mugs from the PD but I wasn't.

Take a deep breath. Take a break. Enjoy yourself. Remember that you matched in the field you wanted in a place you interviewed at and ranked, and ultimately were willing to go to. It'll be tough to move, but in a year, it'll be so far back in your mind that all you can remember is a rosy picture of med school (oh how I miss the time and sleep_, but a deep feeling of being glad its over.

You can work out whatever it is... but you don't necessarily have to do that now.

No offense--and it didn't matter in your particular case--but, unless going unmatched was preferable to being in different cities, you should have filled out the rest of your ROL (as tedious as that would be).

We had to choose what was more important: our career or our personal life. Spending 4 (possibly 6 on my partners end bc he wants to do fellowship) apart is not a feasible timeline for everyone's relationship--esp if you're older and looking to have kids in that time period. At the end of our list, we ranked where I would match (and he would go unmatched) and then where he would match (and I would go unmatched). I would rather go unmatched and have to soap into a FM spot than be apart from him and he would rather go unmatched and soap into a IM spot than be apart from me. I would only recommend couples matching with someone if you plan to get married to them. It's too much of a headache and a risk to your career otherwise.

Take a deep breath. Take a break. Enjoy yourself. Remember that you matched in the field you wanted in a place you interviewed at and ranked, and ultimately were willing to go to. It'll be tough to move, but in a year, it'll be so far back in your mind that all you can remember is a rosy picture of med school (oh how I miss the time and sleep_, but a deep feeling of being glad its over.

You can work out whatever it is... but you don't necessarily have to do that now.
I'm coping much better now. The sky isn't falling, I'll be okay, the location could be much worse, and I'm not dying of tuberculAIDS in Africa. Over 1200 applicants to psych didn't match this year, and more than 200 of those were USMDs. I'm very fortunate and I intend to be the best resident I can be and help my program be the best that it can be.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm coping much better now. The sky isn't falling, I'll be okay, the location could be much worse, and I'm not dying of tuberculAIDS in Africa. Over 1200 applicants to psych didn't match this year, and more than 200 of those were USMDs. I'm very fortunate and I intend to be the best resident I can be and help my program be the best that it can be.
Good for you Mad Jack. You can imagine how your angst goes over with those who went unmatched. You will be fine. Go get em and kick tail. New cities always have unsuspected pleasant surprises to explore.

Reactions: 2 users