-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2018 - Where did you end up?
Started by Monocles
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Third year who will be applying psych next cycle, congrats to everyone and could y'all share where you're going and just a quick summary of your stats! (steps, rank, research, region)
Fell down my list a bit to #4 although it's probably a "better" program than my #2 and 3 (but wanted to be in NYC for family) I thought it was a reach for me so I'm surprised to say the least? Life's weird
Thanks Monocles for all your help! Happy to have matched honestly.
Thanks Monocles for all your help! Happy to have matched honestly.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got my #2, which was literally tied with my #1. Honestly shocked considering how the interview season went for me.
Last edited:
I ended up dealing with a Friday afternoon walk-in patient who's now buying street xanax after another MD thought it'd be a good idea to "bridge" xanax 0.5 BID while waiting for his SSRI to work for panic attacks... an SSRI he never actually took because the xanax "made my anxiety go away".
/you didn't explicitly say this was about the match. 😛
/you didn't explicitly say this was about the match. 😛
I ended up with an AMAZING G1 class.


Ended up extremely low on my rank list. I'm so devastated I don't even have words, because geographic concerns have become apparent post-rank that would have changed my application season and specialty choice entirely. Literally don't know what to do.
Mad Jack, I am SO SO SO sorry! Please do not for a second think that where you matched or how low you matched is any reflection on who you are as a person or the type of physician/psychiatrist you will be become. It is really truly an imperfect system. I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers <3Ended up extremely low on my rank list. I'm so devastated I don't even have words, because geographic concerns have become apparent post-rank that would have changed my application season and specialty choice entirely. Literally don't know what to do.
University of Wisconsin - Madison for neurology! Very realistic chance I ended up in Tulsa, Dayton, or Detroit for fam med.
So that is awesome! Tononi is there - maybe you will get some lectures:
Wisconsin Institute for Sleep and Consciousness
Strongly agree with this. I've seen quite a few match results this year that seem cruelly random and unfair.Mad Jack, I am SO SO SO sorry! Please do not for a second think that where you matched or how low you matched is any reflection on who you are as a person or the type of physician/psychiatrist you will be become. It is really truly an imperfect system. I am sending you lots of positive thoughts and prayers <3
University of Wisconsin - Madison for neurology! Very realistic chance I ended up in Tulsa, Dayton, or Detroit for fam med.
Wow. Great town, even though I know nothing else about their program.
Matched my #1 at CHA!!!! Overjoyed, but mixed with feelings of sadness/survivor's guilt at friends and classmates who matched much lower than expected.
I’m hearing mostly positive things from people I know, so congrats to you all. Some great programs listed here already.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats everyone! I matched at my #1 UTSW. As my name implies, I'm looking forward to finally being a resident and having a real say in patient care.
I'm another psych applicant who failed to match into psych (too top heavy maybe?), but luckily offered a categorical pediatric position through SOAP -- hoping to fellowship back into the psych world one day. Life happens and now just gonna run with it! 🙂
I'm a PGY-3, loved seeing our match list, can't wait to meet all of our new interns!!
Sounds like it was tough out there this year. It was great to see the support and good advice offered on this forum.
Regardless of where you're headed, the year ahead is going to be filled with 'firsts' and excitement, so enjoy this mysterious/amazing time between now and orientation!!
Sounds like it was tough out there this year. It was great to see the support and good advice offered on this forum.
Regardless of where you're headed, the year ahead is going to be filled with 'firsts' and excitement, so enjoy this mysterious/amazing time between now and orientation!!
UCSF
Loving your attitude. All the best in your training!I'm another psych applicant who failed to match into psych (too top heavy maybe?), but luckily offered a categorical pediatric position through SOAP -- hoping to fellowship back into the psych world one day. Life happens and now just gonna run with it! 🙂
Congrats everyone! I matched at my #1 UTSW. As my name implies, I'm looking forward to finally being a resident and having a real say in patient care.
Great program!
MUSC med-psych.... still trying to pinch myself to make sure it's real. I totally agree with evidence based I've got some survivors guilt. I had some very competative friends who didn't match at all, this year was crazy.
Matched at Brown! Fellow interns reach out to me 🙂
Matched at my number 1 Michigan!!!
Congrats to everyone! As grueling as being a resident may be sometimes, something happens a few months into intern year when you realize you’re making clinical decisions that actually matter, and that feeling is amazing. Enjoy this amazing carefree period until graduation!
I ended up with an AMAZING G1 class.
![]()
Congrats OPD, you deserve it!
Couples matched to our number one rank in NY! Both DO and had over 150 ranks haha.
That's kind of intense lol.
Couples matched to our number one rank in NY! Both DO and had over 150 ranks haha.
I didn't even know there were over 150 psych programs.
I didn't even know there were over 150 psych programs.
Haha in the couples match you rank every combination. Meaning, programs can be ranked multiple of times on your end if your partner ranks a diff program each time.
Ex:
1) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program A
2) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program B
3) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program C
4) etc.
We also only ranked combos in which we would be geographically together so our list would have been ALOT longer if we had ranked every possible combination.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gotcha! Congratulations on matching to your #1.
Tufts which was my #2, but literally tied with my #1 (HCMC). Honestly shocked considering how the interview season went for me.
Congrats!! Tufts is amazing! You will get phenomenal training here! PM me if you'd like!
Matched into my #1 in the midwest. It all still feels so surreal, especially since this year seemed so rough for the match.
Glad to hear you're sticking true to your username 😉
Matched at my number 1 Michigan!!!
Glad to hear you're sticking true to your username 😉
Congrats to everyone! As grueling as being a resident may be sometimes, something happens a few months into intern year when you realize you’re making clinical decisions that actually matter, and that feeling is amazing. Enjoy this amazing carefree period until graduation!
Congratulations everyone! I second what coyotelime said. Residency is both tough and immensely rewarding, so you have a lot to look forward to!
Matched to my #3 in the West Coast. I was disappointed because I got a letter from my #1 saying they love me. I realized letters/emails after interviews do not mean much 🙁.
Anyhow, I accept the result, start connecting with my fellow residents, and I actually feel excited to start residency. At the end of the day, I will still be a psychiatrist, and the job market is looking so good that I am not too worried about going wherever I want after residency.
Anyhow, I accept the result, start connecting with my fellow residents, and I actually feel excited to start residency. At the end of the day, I will still be a psychiatrist, and the job market is looking so good that I am not too worried about going wherever I want after residency.
That is why most of us don't send love letters, because we may love you, but we don't know if they mean anything or not.Matched to my #3 in the West Coast. I was disappointed because I got a letter from my #1 saying they love me. I realized letters/emails after interviews do not mean much 🙁.
Anyhow, I accept the result, start connecting with my fellow residents, and I actually feel excited to start residency. At the end of the day, I will still be a psychiatrist, and the job market is looking so good that I am not too worried about going wherever I want after residency.
Matched to my #3 in the West Coast. I was disappointed because I got a letter from my #1 saying they love me. I realized letters/emails after interviews do not mean much 🙁.
Anyhow, I accept the result, start connecting with my fellow residents, and I actually feel excited to start residency. At the end of the day, I will still be a psychiatrist, and the job market is looking so good that I am not too worried about going wherever I want after residency.
I got no response from my LOI to my number 1 and didn't match there so at least they were genuine 😉 Getting no response set my expectation I wasn't going to match there and lessened the blow. They missed out on someone who thought the world of their program and wanted to go there since day 1 of med school because I'm from the area. On the other hand, my home program PD didn't respond to my thank you email or card but told me on Monday I was ranked in the top 8 for 8 spots so not to worry about matching.
I got no response from my LOI to my number 1 and didn't match there so at least they were genuine 😉 Getting no response set my expectation I wasn't going to match there and lessened the blow. They missed out on someone who thought the world of their program and wanted to go there since day 1 of med school because I'm from the area.
Many programs do not respond to anyone. There is no benefit and only disappointed feelings. Say I typically go down 38 spots to fill my program of 8. If I send “love” letters/responses to my top 20 people, odds are that all of them stand a great chance of matching with me. You would think it would be a safe email. All are usually ranked to match. Now say I pull a great intern class the year before and they sell my “amazing” program for me. Hypothetically, I fill my 8 spots in only 10 people. It doesn’t mean that I didn’t think #11 was excellent. I would have been more than happy with applicant #11. In fact, 10-15 were all great applicants with virtually the same scores and LOR’s and interviews. Responding to my top 20 positively just results in upsetting 10-20 that I was dishonest. Those 10-20 may have a bad taste in their mouth and not apply for my fellowships.
Programs can get 800 applicants for 8 spots. Getting one of the 80 interviews puts you in the top 10%. That’s a fantastic accomplishment already. Out of 80 people, it typically takes less than 40 and in rare circumstances, 10 people to fill. Just because you didn’t end up being liked in the top 1% of people at one program, doesn’t mean you didn’t do a fantastic job in the match or that they didn’t think the world of you.
Many programs do not respond to anyone. There is no benefit and only disappointed feelings. Say I typically go down 38 spots to fill my program of 8. If I send “love” letters/responses to my top 20 people, odds are that all of them stand a great chance of matching with me. You would think it would be a safe email. All are usually ranked to match. Now say I pull a great intern class the year before and they sell my “amazing” program for me. Hypothetically, I fill my 8 spots in only 10 people. It doesn’t mean that I didn’t think #11 was excellent. I would have been more than happy with applicant #11. In fact, 10-15 were all great applicants with virtually the same scores and LOR’s and interviews. Responding to my top 20 positively just results in upsetting 10-20 that I was dishonest. Those 10-20 may have a bad taste in their mouth and not apply for my fellowships.
Programs can get 800 applicants for 8 spots. Getting one of the 80 interviews puts you in the top 10%. That’s a fantastic accomplishment already. Out of 80 people, it typically takes less than 40 and in rare circumstances, 10 people to fill. Just because you didn’t end up being liked in the top 1% of people at one program, doesn’t mean you didn’t do a fantastic job in the match or that they didn’t think the world of you.
Thanks for putting it in perspective. I can't imagine how hard it is to distinguish between applicants. And I appreciate the faculty that has to do the tough decision making.
I had a low step 1. I worked my ass off for a 260+ CK to try and make up for it, but in the end, when ranking it probably mattered when most of the list had better scores on both steps. I also used most of my free time third year to publish. I told myself that a high CK and publications would show solid work ethic and resiliency, but it's not a magic eraser for step 1 at a competitive program.
I'm bummed about being far from family but I'm going to continue to work to the bone and make connections for great letters. Maybe they'll have me for fellowship.
Also on the bright side, I met a lot of great, laid back people interviewing in the region. I hope some are my coresidents!
Last edited:
No offense--and it didn't matter in your particular case--but, unless going unmatched was preferable to being in different cities, you should have filled out the rest of your ROL (as tedious as that would be).Haha in the couples match you rank every combination. Meaning, programs can be ranked multiple of times on your end if your partner ranks a diff program each time.
Ex:
1) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program A
2) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program B
3) Partner 1: Program A & Partner 2: Program C
4) etc.
We also only ranked combos in which we would be geographically together so our list would have been ALOT longer if we had ranked every possible combination.
Headed for triple board training - definitely excited!
I got no response from my LOI to my number 1 and didn't match there so at least they were genuine 😉 Getting no response set my expectation I wasn't going to match there and lessened the blow. They missed out on someone who thought the world of their program and wanted to go there since day 1 of med school because I'm from the area. On the other hand, my home program PD didn't respond to my thank you email or card but told me on Monday I was ranked in the top 8 for 8 spots so not to worry about matching.
I should have known I wasn't going to match at my #1 when people on here were sent coffee mugs from the PD but I wasn't.
Ended up extremely low on my rank list. I'm so devastated I don't even have words, because geographic concerns have become apparent post-rank that would have changed my application season and specialty choice entirely. Literally don't know what to do.
Take a deep breath. Take a break. Enjoy yourself. Remember that you matched in the field you wanted in a place you interviewed at and ranked, and ultimately were willing to go to. It'll be tough to move, but in a year, it'll be so far back in your mind that all you can remember is a rosy picture of med school (oh how I miss the time and sleep_, but a deep feeling of being glad its over.
You can work out whatever it is... but you don't necessarily have to do that now.
No offense--and it didn't matter in your particular case--but, unless going unmatched was preferable to being in different cities, you should have filled out the rest of your ROL (as tedious as that would be).
We had to choose what was more important: our career or our personal life. Spending 4 (possibly 6 on my partners end bc he wants to do fellowship) apart is not a feasible timeline for everyone's relationship--esp if you're older and looking to have kids in that time period. At the end of our list, we ranked where I would match (and he would go unmatched) and then where he would match (and I would go unmatched). I would rather go unmatched and have to soap into a FM spot than be apart from him and he would rather go unmatched and soap into a IM spot than be apart from me. I would only recommend couples matching with someone if you plan to get married to them. It's too much of a headache and a risk to your career otherwise.
Congrats!Couples matched to our number one rank in NY! Both DO and had over 150 ranks haha.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm coping much better now. The sky isn't falling, I'll be okay, the location could be much worse, and I'm not dying of tuberculAIDS in Africa. Over 1200 applicants to psych didn't match this year, and more than 200 of those were USMDs. I'm very fortunate and I intend to be the best resident I can be and help my program be the best that it can be.Take a deep breath. Take a break. Enjoy yourself. Remember that you matched in the field you wanted in a place you interviewed at and ranked, and ultimately were willing to go to. It'll be tough to move, but in a year, it'll be so far back in your mind that all you can remember is a rosy picture of med school (oh how I miss the time and sleep_, but a deep feeling of being glad its over.
You can work out whatever it is... but you don't necessarily have to do that now.
Good for you Mad Jack. You can imagine how your angst goes over with those who went unmatched. You will be fine. Go get em and kick tail. New cities always have unsuspected pleasant surprises to explore.I'm coping much better now. The sky isn't falling, I'll be okay, the location could be much worse, and I'm not dying of tuberculAIDS in Africa. Over 1200 applicants to psych didn't match this year, and more than 200 of those were USMDs. I'm very fortunate and I intend to be the best resident I can be and help my program be the best that it can be.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 366
