[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol UF Gainesville is $900 a week for out-of-state DO students to do an away rotation.

ok

You should rotate at UF -Jax instead. Been around longer and very well respected.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You should rotate at UF -Jax instead. Been around longer and very well respected.

Agreed. Most of the UF students who are going into EM rotate at Jax. It is a fantastic rotation. You won't regret it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Counter point: I regret rotating there.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience! I rotated there and loved it and have no problem recommending that program to anyone who asks. I also had multiple programs mention that SLOE during interviews. To people reading this as always take all advice on the internet as N=1

I also had multiple programs mention that SLOE during interviews.
I guess my SLOEs were super average, not once did an interviewer bring them up during an interview.

I guess my SLOEs were super average, not once did an interviewer bring them up during an interview.
Same here. There was never once a mention of “oh I see you rotated at program X, they had some incredibly awesome things to say about you like...”

Is it common for programs to do this? And a bad sign if they don’t?

I can only speak to my experience so don’t know if it is common. My SLOEs came up in 3/4’s of my interviews

I never thought to mention how they did on their other rotations when I interviewed students this year. Interviews are short and I need to gather as much information as I can without rehashing what I already know. I wouldn’t look into it too much.

Do any programs have rules regarding how close you have to live to the hospital? I’m assuming if they did this is something they would have made clear on the interview day ?

Do any programs have rules regarding how close you have to live to the hospital? I’m assuming if they did this is something they would have made clear on the interview day ?

I did not encounter anything like that on the trail. I also met a few people who lived up to an hour away, although that was not the norm

Reactions: 1 users
Kind of a random question, but how important do you think it is for a place to have a resident-run ICU vs attending-run and how common are both?

I didn’t even think to ask any of the programs about this on interviews, but I’m currently on an ICU rotation at one of my home institution hospitals (somewhat rural community hospital that has basic residencies like IM, FM, Gen Surg, with talk of EM coming soon) and it is attending-run. What I’ve found is the attendings seem to treat the mid levels like residents in terms of being the go to people with issues (likely because they work with them more) and the two interns I’ve worked with are treated more similar to med students. Like the attendings never ask the residents to put in orders or do anything like that (the mid levels do that) and it seems like they aren’t getting quite the same education. How common is this situation and what are your guys thoughts?

Kind of a random question, but how important do you think it is for a place to have a resident-run ICU vs attending-run and how common are both?

I didn’t even think to ask any of the programs about this on interviews, but I’m currently on an ICU rotation at one of my home institution hospitals (somewhat rural community hospital that has basic residencies like IM, FM, Gen Surg, with talk of EM coming soon) and it is attending-run. What I’ve found is the attendings seem to treat the mid levels like residents in terms of being the go to people with issues (likely because they work with them more) and the two interns I’ve worked with are treated more similar to med students. Like the attendings never ask the residents to put in orders or do anything like that (the mid levels do that) and it seems like they aren’t getting quite the same education. How common is this situation and what are your guys thoughts?

I’ve never seen or heard of anything like that and for EM it’d be a huge red flag. You need those months to get procedures and get comfortable managing sick people with minimal input (especially on overnights and stuff).

However I can’t imagine any residency worth their salt would try to pass that off as an ICU rotation for EM.

I’ve never seen or heard of anything like that and for EM it’d be a huge red flag. You need those months to get procedures and get comfortable managing sick people with minimal input (especially on overnights and stuff).

However I can’t imagine any residency worth their salt would try to pass that off as an ICU rotation for EM.

Ok that’s what I was thinking. It just had me kind of worried because I didn’t know this kind of situation even existed. But like I said this hospital is soon likely to have an EM program (there was talk they’d even have it open for this past cycle) so I didn’t know if this could be normal. And if so I wanted to make sure I wasnt highly ranking a program like it. Now maybe when this new program at this hospital opens they will have changed/addressed the ICU situation, but I’m not sure because this seems like the way the ICU has been run for awhile.

@gamerEMdoc any thoughts on how the next batch of applicants will be evaluated with CORD statement on SLOEs that was released today and the cancellation of away rotations at certain institutions?

@gamerEMdoc any thoughts on how the next batch of applicants will be evaluated with CORD statement on SLOEs that was released today and the cancellation of away rotations at certain institutions?

Yeah I posted my thoughts on that thread. I’m really concerned about next years class for multiple reasons. CORDs statement seemed to ignore the fact that a huge percentage of applicants don’t have a home program. This is fine for MD/University based students who have a home ED. They will get their one SLOE and will match just fine. But this is going to really hurt for DOs if they can’t find one rotation. Or even if they can get only one. Because so many DOs whose apps aren’t super competitive get a big chunk of their interviews by rotating at 4-5 places. If all of a sudden students are lucky to get one rotation, you better be damned certain the program you rotate at is a place you really would like to train at, that you are competitive for that place, and you have a good rotation while there. That‘s a hell of a lot riding on one rotation.

Also, the fact that students may not do more than one EM rotation is pretty concerning in terms of them starting residency IMO. When I think where students are in Aug or July with only one EM rotation, and where they are in November after 3 under their belt, its a big difference most of the time.

Like students without a home program, programs without an on site medical school could have a really hard time. A good chunk of our match class (60% or so) have rotated here. Not because we give preference to rotators, but because its hard to sell a smaller town community program to someone that has never been there. It’s a lot easier for people who have a great rotation to consider high on their list. If we can’t have people rotate, I have no idea how we will recruit. I also have no idea how I’d evaluate apps without sloes with any accuracy. I’m assuming we’d just find a target board score range we assume we’d be competitive in, and just invite everyone in that range from a few surrounding states. Sucks to do it that way, but there’s really not much else to look at since you have no idea where people were rotating or how they do in the ED.

All in all, I hope this doesn’t happen. I’ve inquired about this at our institution and as far as I know, we are still going forward with taking students. But things also change by the day now, so who knows if that will change.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah I posted my thoughts on that thread. I’m really concerned about next years class for multiple reasons. CORDs statement seemed to ignore the fact that a huge percentage of applicants don’t have a home program. This is fine for MD/University based students who have a home ED. They will get their one SLOE and will match just fine. But this is going to really hurt for DOs if they can’t find one rotation. Or even if they can get only one. Because so many DOs whose apps aren’t super competitive get a big chunk of their interviews by rotating at 4-5 places. If all of a sudden students are lucky to get one rotation, you better be damned certain the program you rotate at is a place you really would like to train at, that you are competitive for that place, and you have a good rotation while there. That‘s a hell of a lot riding on one rotation.

Also, the fact that students may not do more than one EM rotation is pretty concerning in terms of them starting residency IMO. When I think where students are in Aug or July with only one EM rotation, and where they are in November after 3 under their belt, its a big difference most of the time.

Like students without a home program, programs without an on site medical school could have a really hard time. A good chunk of our match class (60% or so) have rotated here. Not because we give preference to rotators, but because its hard to sell a smaller town community program to someone that has never been there. It’s a lot easier for people who have a great rotation to consider high on their list. If we can’t have people rotate, I have no idea how we will recruit. I also have no idea how I’d evaluate apps without sloes with any accuracy. I’m assuming we’d just find a target board score range we assume we’d be competitive in, and just invite everyone in that range from a few surrounding states. Sucks to do it that way, but there’s really not much else to look at since you have no idea where people were rotating or how they do in the ED.

All in all, I hope this doesn’t happen. I’ve inquired about this at our institution and as far as I know, we are still going forward with taking students. But things also change by the day now, so who knows if that will change.

thanks!

did not realize there was a thread already started