2019 application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtemple

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on attending dental school fall of 2019. I will be taking the DAT spring 2018 but also wanted to start filling out my application. Can I start filling out my application now and have it ready to submit June 2018? Or do I have to wait until the application cycle opens on June 1st to start my application? If so, should I use a template from previous years to start organizing? Should I wait to register an account with ADEA or can I make an account now?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to start early on the application cycle, I would make sure you have your letters of rec ready to go, and you can start thinking about/drafting your personal statement. You have plenty of time for the rest of the stuff when the cycle opens up on June 1st. Good luck :)

Reactions: 2 users
No, you can't start the app now. If you tried to make an account now, they will think you are applying for fall 2018. You have to wait until June 1 to start your app. The only thing you can do right now to prepare is to:
1. have your personal statement ready
2. have your letters of rec ready
3. have your supplemental answers ready (see this year's supplemental questions to each school you are applying to, so you can see what the questions are)

Good luck! You are very ahead of the game if you are already preparing all of this right now

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am planning on attending dental school fall of 2019. I will be taking the DAT spring 2018 but also wanted to start filling out my application. Can I start filling out my application now and have it ready to submit June 2018? Or do I have to wait until the application cycle opens on June 1st to start my application? If so, should I use a template from previous years to start organizing? Should I wait to register an account with ADEA or can I make an account now?

Thanks!

Nope you cannot create an account until June 1. Have the LOR ready, I know some professors take a while to write them. Get your volunteering and shadowing done. Try to find the secondary answers and have your official transcripts at hand. Finally, make sure you have your PS ready. For me I took almost 20 drafts so it really does take time and effort.

Nope you cannot create an account until June 1. Have the LOR ready, I know some professors take a while to write them. Get your volunteering and shadowing done. Try to find the secondary answers and have your official transcripts at hand. Finally, make sure you have your PS ready. For me I took almost 20 drafts so it really does take time and effort.
When I order the official transcripts won't they be delivered to ADEA directly, or do I need a set of official copies on hand too? Also, can you elaborate on the secondary answers, ive seen them mentioned in many posts but still haven't found out exactly what they are and what their purpose is?

No, you can't start the app now. If you tried to make an account now, they will think you are applying for fall 2018. You have to wait until June 1 to start your app. The only thing you can do right now to prepare is to:
1. have your personal statement ready
2. have your letters of rec ready
3. have your supplemental answers ready (see this year's supplemental questions to each school you are applying to, so you can see what the questions are)

Good luck! You are very ahead of the game if you are already preparing all of this right now
What exactly are the supplemental answers?

Also, can you elaborate on the secondary answers, ive seen them mentioned in many posts but still haven't found out exactly what they are and what their purpose is?
So the previous posts mean you can start working on your answers to the supplemental questions that most dental schools have. AADSAS is the primary application, but many schools have additional questions for you to answer, like short essay questions (ex. What's an ethical dilemma you've faced, why do you want XYZ school, why should XYZ school pick you, etc). I think the best way for you to go about doing this is by making an account for this year, and just familiarizing yourself with the app and the questions, but not submitting (obviously). To make an account, though, I think you need to have an DENTPIN, which you must apply for.

Supplemental answers are your responses to questions that have been mentioned above, like ethical questions and such.
From this year's cycle, I believe, most schools have included their supplementary questions on the primary AADSAS (exception - Penn: you have to type, print, mail them) so that schools can save time and spaces.
I agree with the artist2022 that you should make an account on AADSAS to familiarize yourself with the sections.
There are also really resourceful youtube videos that tell you the structures of AADSAS, supplementary questions for some private schools, etc. Good luck next cycle!

I'm also applying for Fall 2019 and just wanted to make sure...
Having the LOR ready means.. send an email to your professor (or whoever) and have them have the LOR written so that they can send it once they get the request/link to online portal from ADEA?

And the request from ADEA is sent out once I submit my application (~june 1st at the earliest)?

I'm also applying for Fall 2019 and just wanted to make sure...
Having the LOR ready means.. send an email to your professor (or whoever) and have them have the LOR written so that they can send it once they get the request/link to online portal from ADEA?

And the request from ADEA is sent out once I submit my application (~june 1st at the earliest)?

Yes, having it ready means figuring out who to ask and giving them enough time to write the letter. Also, the request from AADSAS is sent out as soon as you fill out their info. Your app doesn’t need to be submitted before you send your requests and you can submit the app before your professors submit their letters

Yes, having it ready means figuring out who to ask and giving them enough time to write the letter. Also, the request from AADSAS is sent out as soon as you fill out their info. Your app doesn’t need to be submitted before you send your requests and you can submit the app before your professors submit their letters
Okay. Thanks for the explanation :)

Thanks!
Just wanted to make sure since I'm applying 2019 as well... ADEA website says "The ADEA AADSAS 2018 - 2019 application cycle will open on May 2nd, 2018."

May? So we don't have to wait until June?

Just wanted to make sure since I'm applying 2019 as well... ADEA website says "The ADEA AADSAS 2018 - 2019 application cycle will open on May 2nd, 2018."

Yes! I'm also confused if cycle opens May or June!

Guys, it opens. However, we can’t submit until June. You can have your application ready for submission.

No you can't fill out your application now because AADSAS resets itself after each cycle, so even if you applied last cycle and didn't get in, you have to re-submit everything the next year.

Instead of focus on filling out the application, I recommend taking a hard look at ALL of your activities and achievements and awards thus far in college or onwards. Consider any trends that you may want to highlight, activities that you might want to drop, or areas where you need to do more in. Consider who you're going to ask LoRs from and start getting to know them personally better. This is a more productive way to prepare