2020: 91% DO Match Rate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

This is honestly better than even I expected. This is actually a BETTER rate than it has been in the past. On top of that, it's the TRUE US DO match rate. No need for analysis, do I even need to do a pre-DO thread this year?

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
This is honestly better than even I expected. This is actually a BETTER rate than it has been in the past. On top of that, it's the TRUE US DO match rate. No need for analysis, do I even need to do a pre-DO thread this year?
Do you think we might be back to 99% placement rate again this year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is a symptom of corona virus cautious optimism about the future? If so, a lot of you are screwed.
I'd be optimistic cause I'd rather be alive than dead. Can't be optimistic when you'e dead.

Way too many Ortho compared to previous years due to more being carried over from AOA programs?
Probably. But also, look at Family Medicine for DO, then compare that to MD.
At my program, our matches by program at least are considerably worse than years past. I wonder if DO's are being relegated to the weaker programs.

Way too many Ortho compared to previous years due to more being carried over from AOA programs?
I'm sure there are more MD ortho matches that usually just because all the competitive ortho applicants applied in agcme and didn't skip if for AOA this year. But there were a decent amount of AOA orthopedic spots (not sure exactly how many). But KCU would routinely match 5 or more orthos each year.

At my program, our matches by program at least are considerably worse than years past. I wonder if DO's are being relegated to the weaker programs.
We will have to wait until more DO school lists come out. But KCUs university based matches have definitely gotten better over the years including this year.

Reactions: 1 users

Can’t extrapolate on any specialty where matching PGY2 is also an option. Those tables are for PGY1 only.

Don’t think so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
"Worse" programs aren't the end all be all. Majority of people aren't prestige ****** like you see on here. There are many more factors at play and trying to decipher match lists by 'tiers' of matches is useless. Personal preference, geographic location, family preferences, etc are all much greater factors in matching

Reactions: 8 users
"Worse" programs aren't the end all be all. Majority of people aren't prestige ****** like you see on here. There are many more factors at play and trying to decipher match lists by 'tiers' of matches is useless. Personal preference, geographic location, family preferences, etc are all much greater factors in matching
Please keep things respectful.

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ll keep it pretty simple. I should’ve matched last year. Great boards. Crushed auditions. I just interviewed poorly. I reached out to PDs that interviewed me the year before not to be a sob story but explain that I was ready to try harder. I interviewed at 5 programs this year and 3 interviewed me for the second time. The program I matched at was 1.5 hours away from my transitional year. I went to their fracture conference every Friday 20 weeks in a row. Also my TY let me do a one month out rotation at that program. I had to take PTO and do extra shifts to make it work, but it’s what I looked forward to every week. I eventually went golfing and drank beers with the group after continuously showing up. They truly feel like a family.

This type of dedication/perseverance is what it takes to match Ortho or anything competitive as a DO. You work hard and you put yourself out there. This is the type of "making your own connections" that I've alluded to in the past, and as Step 1 becomes P/F, this will be all the more important. Congratulations! I'm sure you already know this, but you deserve that spot.

Its actually less than I would have expected. 23.3% is pretty low. Look over the last few years as well, and you'll see its barely changed. It was likely even higher in the past, because a big portion of AOA spots were FM (looking at the numbers it was 1/3 or more of the AOA spots). I really don't think you can extrapolate that DOs are now relegated to "less competitive" fields based on this.

Reactions: 7 users
Realistically, what the merger did was benefit DO's while shutting the FMG/IMG's out more. It made it much easier for DO's to apply using one match. Previously, we would have to choose whether we wanted to match with AOA or take our chances with ACGME. I just saw a commercial on youtube for a Carribean Med School and I can't help but feel bad for those who are there now.

According to the NRMP, the match rate for IMGs was 61% - the highest rate in almost 30 years. So, not exactly being shut out. Perhaps they're getting filtered out before even applying for the match? Or people are applying so broadly that fewer programs go unfilled?

Not what I expected, but certainly good news for IMGs.

And DOs.

And MDs.

Reactions: 4 users
According to the NRMP, the match rate for IMGs was 61% - the highest rate in almost 30 years. So, not exactly being shut out. Perhaps they're getting filtered out before even applying for the match? Or people are applying so broadly that fewer programs go unfilled?

And DOs.

And MDs.

What I meant by that is that the IMGs are now more prevented from getting better programs than what they’re usually getting before, not necessarily lowering their match rate. The IMGs/FMGs are now going to places that are not as desirable such as new programs or traditionally unfilled programs.

As evidenced by our match list this year which I know is anecdotal and n=1, is significantly better than last year and FM now matching to more academic programs, makes sense at least to me. ACGME Academic programs that have been taking IMG/FMGs in the past are now taking more DOs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

And DOs.

And MDs.
I suspect the increase in IMG match rate is bc they had access for the first time to the tons of AOA FM/IM programs that went massively unfilled each year. Don’t remember the exact number but in the AOA match there hundreds of unfilled spots each year and there were some programs that hadn’t matched a resident in year but were still accredited.

And DOs.

And MDs.

There were more IMG applicants than previous years, so they’re probably not being shut out.

Maybe the number of new residencies outpaced the increase in applicants. Or previously unfilled AOA programs were filled.

1584893022162.png

Please keep things respectful.

That was the respectful way of addressing the wide range of "unique" personalities on this forum, to be honest.

I suspect the increase in IMG match rate is bc they had access for the first time to the tons of AOA FM/IM programs that went massively unfilled each year. Don’t remember the exact number but in the AOA match there hundreds of unfilled spots each year and there were some programs that hadn’t matched a resident in year but were still accredited.

I believe this is correct. I spoke with a senior resident at an IM AOA program and she says there are starting to be IMG there now just because DO aren’t ranking their program. So instead of going unfilled like years past, it is filled through the match by IMG.

Its actually less than I would have expected. 23.3% is pretty low. Look over the last few years as well, and you'll see its barely changed. It was likely even higher in the past, because a big portion of AOA spots were FM (looking at the numbers it was 1/3 or more of the AOA spots). I really don't think you can extrapolate that DOs are now relegated to "less competitive" fields based on this.
That's still nearly 1/4 graduates, which is significant, and that's only one primary care specialty. It also appears to be the largest increase and fastest increase of all trends. But if you look close and compare you'll see MD's are trending more in more in some specialties, while DO's are decreasing in the analogous (for example psychiatry). Also, DO's generally apply to many more programs than MD's to land less interviews.

The number of Transitional years has tripled for DO's which shouldnt be ignored.

Unfortunately, I think these other factors are easily overlooked by people unless they are going through the process or know people who have gone through it. This cycle I had plenty of classmates whose #1 was undoubtedly less well-known and prestigious than other places they interviewed, but they all had their specific reasons, many which you mentioned, for why it was their #1.

That's still nearly 1/4 graduates, which is significant, and that's only one primary care specialty.
Also, DO's generally apply to many more programs than MD's to land less interviews.

What does this have to do with your claim that this years FM matches are weaker than last years?

But if you look close and compare you'll see MD's are trending more in more in some specialties, while DO's are decreasing in the analogous (for example psychiatry).
The number of Transitional years has tripled for DO's which shouldnt be ignored.

To call it a trend, we need to be comparing apples to apples. You're not doing that.
Pre 2020: AOA + ACGME
2020 and beyond: ACGME only

Also, you're completely ignoring this:
Can’t extrapolate on any specialty where matching PGY2 is also an option. Those tables are for PGY1 only.

Last edited:
That's still nearly 1/4 graduates, which is significant, and that's only one primary care specialty. It also appears to be the largest increase and fastest increase of all trends. But if you look close and compare you'll see MD's are trending more in more in some specialties, while DO's are decreasing in the analogous (for example psychiatry). Also, DO's generally apply to many more programs than MD's to land less interviews.

Disagree. I applied to 60 neuro programs landing 36 interviews as a DO and taking about half of them. My class had 7 match psych.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
About 20-30% of the military matches have to do a transitional year at my school, so the number is a little skewed. Overall, still a fantastic match year.

Personally, true pre-soap number is closer to 89-90% when you account for these cases. MD pre-soap number has been stable bet 93-94%. So we are doing very well despite the imposed handicaps from our admin. This year performance is a testament to the caliber of DO students nationally. It has nothing to do with the DO curriculum or the DO faculties.

Personally, if they scrap the OMM 5h per week time sink along with their other nonessential requirements and instead substitute those for allotted research time with proper mentor ship in place, the DO match would be similar to the MD match.

Big congrats to all of my 2020 DO colleagues!

Reactions: 2 users

Just ran some super rough numbers. But, pre-SOAP it looks like 54.7% of DOs matched into a PC speciality if you only count FM/IM/Peds as PC, but if you want to include psych and OB that number is 64%. 23% of DOs matched into Rad, EM, Anesthesia, Gen Surg combined. And 10% matched into a surgical specialty of some kind (I did not include any of the Surgical prelim matches in that calculations)

Those numbers are pretty consistent with numbers pre-merger. And considering the massive number of new DO schools I think we all expected the PC number to be much higher but it seems to be stable around 50-60%. I suspect the increase in FM matches is largely contributed to by the new DO schools, but seems to be off set by other schools matching more outside family med.

About 20-30% of the military matches have to do a transitional year at my school, so the number is a little skewed. Overall, still a fantastic match year.

Personally, true pre-soap number is closer to 89-90% when you account for these cases. MD pre-soap number has been stable bet 93-94%. So we are doing very well despite the imposed handicaps from our admin. This year performance is a testament to the caliber of DO students nationally. It has nothing to do with the DO curriculum or the DO faculties.

Personally, if they scrap the OMM 5h per week time sink along with their other nonessential requirements and instead substitute those for allotted research time with proper mentor ship in place, the DO match would be similar to the MD match.

Big congrats to all of my 2020 DO colleagues!

Where do you go that has OMM for 5 hours per week?

We have a 2-hour block once every (most) week(s) and you're almost always out by an hour and a half.

Where do you go that has OMM for 5 hours per week?

We have a 2-hour block once every (most) week(s) and you're almost always out by an hour and a half.
I don't think Epilepsy's going to be answering your question...